• 21968

Splendour In The Grass 2013lineup

WANT TO BUY SPLENDOUR TICKETS? HEAD HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

The Splendour In The Grass 2013 lineup has been revealed.

International acts confirmed for this year’s Splendour include The National, James Blake, Mumford and Sons, Empire Of The Sun, TV On The Radio and Babyshambles.

Splendour 2013 will take place from Friday, July 26 – Sunday, July 28 at the festival’s new site in North Byron Parklands, Yelgun. The event has been working for seven years to move to the new site, which lies 25 kilometres north of Byron proper and is a whopping 660 acres. For its first year on the site Splendour’s capacity will be capped at 25,000 people.

Speaking with FL last year, promoter Jessica Ducrou said that for the first few events at Yelgun they will stick with a similar stage set-up to Belongil Fields: “I think we are looking at Big Tops, certainly for the first couple of years. For us it is just about growing into the space and looking at what works best we have a pretty good idea, we have a pretty good idea. Once you do one show, like you do every year, we look at how we can improve for the next.”

The good news is that ticketing prices are pretty much the same as last year. Splendour In The Grass 2013 single-day tickets will set you back $140 plus booking fees, a mere $5 increase on last year’s $135 single-day tickets. Three-day event tickets remain fixed at $350 plus booking fees and camping tickets will set you back $99 plus booking fees (same as last year). The only surprise is something called a “Country Club ticket” ($699 plus booking fees), which given the price point, seems to be a similar concept to last year’s “Gold VIP tickets”.

Splendour In The Grass 2013 lineup

MUMFORD & SONS (only AUS show)
FRANK OCEAN
THE NATIONAL (only AUS show)
OF MONSTERS & MEN
EMPIRE OF THE SUN
BERNARD FANNING
THE PRESETS
TV ON THE RADIO (only AUS show)
KLAXONS
FLUME
BABYSHAMBLES
PASSION PIT
BIRDS OF TOKYO
JAMES BLAKE
ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI
LAURA MARLING
MATT CORBY
DRAPHT
MYSTERY B∆ND
FLIGHT FACILITIES
POLYPHONIC SPREE (performing Rocky Horror Picture Show)
BOY & BEAR
FAT FREDDY’S DROP
COLD WAR KIDS
THE RUBENS
SARAH BLASKO
DARWIN DEEZ
YOU AM I (performing Sound As Ever & Hi-Fi Way)
HERMITUDE
ART OF SLEEPING
THE GROWL
TWINSY
THE CHEMIST
SONGS
MITZI
TRIPLE J UNEARTHED WINNERS.

PLUS DJs:

ALISON WONDERLAND
YOLANDA BE COOL
WHAT SO NOT
XAPHOON JONES
D-CUP
OTOLOGIC
PEKING DUK
TYLER TOUCHE
BAD EZZY

Is this how you will react to the lineup?

Splendour In The Grass 2013 ticket information

General Public Tickets for Splendour 2013 go on sale at 9am AEST on Thursday, 2 May through moshtix.com.au and 1300 GET TIX (438 849).

3-DAY (Friday to Sunday [also includes Thursday access]) = $350 + booking fees
SINGLE DAY (Friday or Saturday or Sunday) = $140 + booking fees
COUNTRY CLUB TICKET – A limited number of exclusive Country Club tickets will be available for purchase. Full details of this ticket can be found here = $699 + booking fees
CAMPING TICKET: 5 nights (Wednesday to Monday) = $99 + booking fees

Those intending to camp onsite will need to purchase an Event Ticket as well as a separate Camping Ticket. The Camping ticket does not gain entry to the festival.

Comments

crob said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Hoping for a Polyphonic sideshow supported by AIH

himynameishumpty

himynameishumpty said on the 24th Apr, 2013

dunerats! violent soho! the drones! you am i!

01seb

01seb said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Ok, so its decent, the headliners and sub-headliners are just very underwhelming. How the fuck are OM&M sub-headlining?
But there is some good stuff mid-way down the list. Keen for Klaxons, MS MR, Everything Everything, Haim and The National.
I go regardless of lineup anyway, so I'll still be there.

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Isn't SITG smaller this year? It doesn't need to flog as many tickets so they probably aren't taking big risks with huge acts.

It doesn't even seem that small. It seems like it's the same size, pulling power wise, as when it was a two day event.

It seems that if the line up is more conservative than other years they are just playing it safe while they debut their new site, I guess.

01seb

01seb said on the 24th Apr, 2013

It's bigger than last year, but not as big as Woodford. I'm guessing they spent a lot of money on the site this year and didn't have as much to spend on the music. It's a bit of a shame. Last year's lineup was easily bigger.

I also think they went for the big 'hype' acts this year because they probably knew that was the only way to shift tickets with their smaller budget.

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I thought I read the new site only held 25K?

01seb

01seb said on the 24th Apr, 2013

It's only allowed 25 000 this year, it can hold a lot more than that...

Last year was 17 000 and Woodford was 30 000

Dwayne Barry

Dwayne Barry said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Also, I can't believe that Fuckford and Sons are headline material. I know they are billed that highly all over the world these days... but jesus...

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th Apr, 2013

That's the best you could do?

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Brilliant.

You just answered your own question.

Love the lineup. Definitely not as big as the last few years, but there's more than enough to get me there. So excited to see Frank Ocean

craig123

craig123 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Yelgun has approval in Yr 5 to go to 35K. I expect the area could hold a lot more but thats enough for know. 25K on first year is ok by me.

RustyinBondi

RustyinBondi said on the 24th Apr, 2013

So Rusty still buys a ticket.[/QUOTE

Hello.

I wonder if he will play one of his Dad's songs?

I'm gearing up for this one as the sun goes down.

then..

Is billy ocean related to frank ocean?
Answer:
Frank Ocean and Billy Ocean are not related.

Gutted when i read this.

LOL

---

This is the second best line up behind 2010.

This is a crowd pleasing SITG!

MUMFORD & SONS (only AUS show)
FRANK OCEAN
THE NATIONAL (only AUS show)
OF MONSTERS & MEN
EMPIRE OF THE SUN
BERNARD FANNING
THE PRESETS
TV ON THE RADIO (only AUS show)
KLAXONS
FLUME
BABYSHAMBLES
PASSION PIT
BIRDS OF TOKYO
JAMES BLAKE
ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI
LAURA MARLING
MATT CORBY
DRAPHT
MYSTERY B∆ND
FLIGHT FACILITIES
POLYPHONIC SPREE (performing Rocky Horror Picture Show)
BOY & BEAR
FAT FREDDY’S DROP
COLD WAR KIDS
THE RUBENS
SARAH BLASKO
DARWIN DEEZ
YOU AM I (performing Sound As Ever & Hi-Fi Way)
HERMITUDE
ART OF SLEEPING
THE GROWL
TWINSY
THE CHEMIST
SONGS
MITZI
TRIPLE J UNEARTHED WINNERS.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 24th Apr, 2013

My mums ford and sun

Dwayne Barry

Dwayne Barry said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Muckfoot and Scum headlining Mehnder in the Arse

RustyinBondi

RustyinBondi said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I'm stoked with that lineup.

So everyone thinks the Mystery Band is Alt -J?

I think it could easily be one of the splendour owners (bands) reforming for the new site!

Could Powderfinger Christen the new site?

shazie said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I love those guys!

Dwayne Barry

Dwayne Barry said on the 24th Apr, 2013

That was exactly my reaction to the lineup.

georges2009

georges2009 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

i agree with the om & m sub-headlining comment they should be further down the line-up. im a bit on the fence about frank ocean headlining esp. when he is up there because of a no show at future and a tonne of hype. lots of quality aust. bands though with you am i and presents; i wonder if this will leave a hole in the aust. contingent on the bdo?

shazie said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Going by the the last BDO, it seems they're much more focused on internationals and much less focused on Australian bands.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Apr, 2013

pretty dull line up, will go to of monsters and men, sarah blasko and cold war kids/portugal sideshows, no doubt of monsters and men will have advanced to the enmore by this tour, have a feeling kate nash will do harvest or her own promo tour.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 24th Apr, 2013

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Apr, 2013

pretty funny since sam sacked mucho bravado as management that ball park music have conveniently been left off the bill, and the other acts they work with (jungle giants, cub scouts ) are on the line up, sucked in bpm

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Also, holy shit, how did I miss Whitley?!! I didn't even know he was still around!

flat_eric

flat_eric said on the 24th Apr, 2013

The best thing about this thread is the Simpsons avatar hattrick which is now complete.

tyler07 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Single day ticket for the Sunday for me. Frank Ocean, James Blake and Of Monsters and Men are worth the trip for me. Good locals too with Hermitude and Presets.

Bit underwhelming for mine, but I think last year's top acts would've been pretty hard to top.

VegetableLasagne

VegetableLasagne said on the 24th Apr, 2013

severe lack of headliners, especially if you dont like hip hop like i, but decent depth. enough to justify my ticket anyway..

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Frank Ocean doesn't play hip hop. Neither do The National.

I bet Mumford and Sons drop nasty ghetto beats, though.

VegetableLasagne

VegetableLasagne said on the 24th Apr, 2013

ok, whatever frank ocean does i dont like it. if the national weren't playing, i wouldn't be going. tvotr and everything everything are nice suprises though.

Oflick said on the 24th Apr, 2013

The National will probably be back next year. If they're the only band you want to see maybe you should just wait until they return?

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Pro tip for Oflick: Next time I rip on you about never seeing Arcade Fire, remember, I've never seen The National. And I jerk it and cry myself to sleep to their albums on the reg.

Gnarkid

Gnarkid said on the 24th Apr, 2013

talk about your piece of crap...actually it's not too bad, but ordinary

Braveheart81 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I've seen both.

I get sex before bed with no tears before bedtime.

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Curse you, Braveheart! You and your perfect life!!!

Thom_Dorke

Thom_Dorke said on the 24th Apr, 2013

i hope they announce a 2nd line up to make up for the crappy 1st line up.

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

There won't be another announcement.

Oflick said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I'm rather tempted to buy a ticket now just to see the National so I can rub it in your face.

But don't worry, I'm not going to. I'm all talk and no action. And I'm not even that good at talking (or in this case, typing). I tend to give up right in

Braveheart81 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Same. Met. Gatch. I mean game, set, match.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I was surprised by that too as I thought he retired from music a couple of years ago.

tyler07 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I hope they announce that no fuckwits can attend.

...so there's no fuckwits

Dwayne Barry

Dwayne Barry said on the 24th Apr, 2013

The National is great music to jerk off to while howling at the moon. When I listen to them, I like to ballerina on my coffee table cock in hand.

But they will almost certainly be back sooner rather than later. They were here twice in 2011 remember, so I think they like Australia.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I hope they announce that no fuckwits can attend.

...so there's no fuckwits

But then you wouldn't get to see FrOcean

Just kidding ily Tyler

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

But he also wouldn't get to see Passion Pit.

Swings and roundabouts, really.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 24th Apr, 2013

how have you not seen the national BC?!?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 24th Apr, 2013

They clashed with Passion Pit

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

My life is a series of poor decisions.

And I had to wash my hair.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 24th Apr, 2013

So Babyshambles are still a thing huh? Who knew?

Oflick said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Pete Doherty probably knew. Then again, it's just as likely he didn't.

Braveheart81 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

They were pretty average (especially compared to The Libertines) but Fuck Forever is a cracking song. I'd love to hear them play that.

Patrick Holmes

Patrick Holmes said on the 24th Apr, 2013

After being hasty with my opinion of this lineup I have realised how wrong I initially was. Actually such a rad lineup! I think knowing a bunch of the acts before because of leaks and such, which happened to be some of my favourite additions to the lineup, may have made me not realise the magnitude of it. Those headliners might not be as big as I was expecting but Keen on them all, and so many great mid and low teir acts. I think they made a pretty good decision in getting a lot of great smaller/cheaper acts, than putting all their money into big and expensive headliners. Really keen to attend!

Blasted

Blasted said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I think Sunday's mystery band slot has been set aside for them as it will probably take 2 days to get Pete through customs

kaydee

kaydee said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Fuck Forever was on the radio this morning. It is a great song.

I guess I took Carl's side in the divorce and was more into Dirty Pretty Things.

yoozernayme

yoozernayme said on the 24th Apr, 2013

mumfart'n cum .......................sorry.gross. but do i win?

woo! my first post here! anyway, i went to every splendour in until a few years ago. it just seems to get worse (i know im all old and stuff.....), lots of twee synthpoop and overly earnest affectated folk pop. sure, theres some bands id like to see, ...
really a lot of these bands have like 1 album, and are only well known due to dribble gay ramming them down all y'all ears ...

Braveheart81 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Fuck Forever was on the radio this morning. It is a great song.

Bang Bang You're Dead was a cracker. I enjoyed Waterloo to Anywhere.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 24th Apr, 2013

I liked the album too but I struggled to maintain interest in listening to the whole thing. The majority of times I played it I just picked my favourite songs and then moved on to something else.

tyler07 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

But then you wouldn't get to see FrOcean

Just kidding ily Tyler

I'm not a fuckwit, I'm a cunt. There's a big difference.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 24th Apr, 2013

And aging like a fine wine too

Ah, such maturity.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 24th Apr, 2013

soz m0shl0rd, won't happen again

Braveheart81 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Yes. I enjoyed it to that extent too.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Great local lineup, pretty average international lineup, especially the headliners... super keen to see Frank Ocean but I thought he'd have been a great afternoon Mix-Up stage slot rather than a headliner. Oh well.. there's more than enough to get me there, will probably have a bigger weekend because there are less must-see acts. Hopefully the tipi forrest will run a bit later and all that brostep garbage they were playing last year will be banned

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 25th Apr, 2013

So who's planning on getting a ticket next week?
I'll most likely be going if my friends come.

Oflick said on the 25th Apr, 2013

Your friends' sexual arousal should not play such a significant part in your decision.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 25th Apr, 2013

Nah don't have to worry about that until September.

polski

polski said on the 25th Apr, 2013

drapht is on the bill what about the local whiplash

berlinchair101 said on the 25th Apr, 2013

Is the Whiplash a local or international act?

Oflick said on the 25th Apr, 2013

They're a Metallica cover band.

gumbuoy said on the 25th Apr, 2013

He retired the name Whitley and moved to Europe. I assumed he was going to just start doing stuff under his own name.

But then Dew Process announced a few weeks back that he was back, still under Whitley, and will have an album out later this year. So it was pretty much a given he would be on Splendour.

Another chance for people to talk over him and not pay any attention, which is basically why he quit in the first place.

berlinchair101 said on the 25th Apr, 2013

Probably should have written some better songs then...

polski

polski said on the 26th Apr, 2013

what do you think? post your comment...

Hinee

Hinee said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Guys focus. What about Whiplash?

shazie said on the 26th Apr, 2013

I think we should be giving more attention to Wiplash.

Whiplash is a non-medical term describing a range of injuries to the neck caused by or related to a sudden distortion of the neck[1] associated with extension.[2] The term "whiplash" is a colloquialism. "Cervical acceleration-deceleration" (CAD) describes the mechanism of the injury, while the term "whiplash associated disorders" (WAD) describes the injury sequelae and symptoms.

Whiplash is commonly associated with motor vehicle accidents, usually when the vehicle has been hit in the rear;[3] however, the injury can be sustained in many other ways, including headbanging, bungee jumping and falls.[4] It is one of the main injuries covered by the car insurers.[citation needed] In the United Kingdom, 430,000 people made an insurance claim for whiplash in 2007, accounting for 14% of every driver's premium.

That should raise awareness and hopefully no one has to endure Wiplash (I know Jose had to once and that was awful).

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Do you mean talk over him at live shows? Or just in general, as in people not paying attention to his music?

gumbuoy said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Live shows. I must have seen him maybe 3 or 4 times in support of Go Forth, Find Mammoth, and from memory, every time it was just him and an acoustic guitar, and people would just talk right over him, even right up the front. It always felt like he found that really frustrating.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Yeah I can imagine.
I absolutely loved Go Forth, so many great tracks on there. So good to see that he's back.

But I can imagine Splendour being really bad for people talking over him, especially if he's in the middle of the day or couple of spots before a big act.

gumbuoy said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Yeah Go Forth was fantastic. I was always kinda torn over his quitting (especially since he never explicitly said it was because noone paid attention to him or bought his album). On the one hand, it's all just part of being a musician, and you gotta be able to deal with it. On the other hand, it's not like he had a big cry or temper tantrum or anything. He just decided he didn't wanna do it any more, which is fine - musicians don't owe us anything, except for Arcade Fire, and the Thermals.

katiekakes

katiekakes said on the 26th Apr, 2013

well it may have sent me broke, but it will be worth it to hear james blake's new music live.

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Apr, 2013

No one wants to go to your crappy website for jerks.

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Seriously. If you're going to spam your crappy website, at least learn how to post a fucking hyperlink.

gumbuoy said on the 26th Apr, 2013

I feel a nuke coming on. I've never nuked anyone before. I've got goosebumps :)

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Apr, 2013

You can't nuke someone who has been registered for over a month unfortunately.

There are daily opportunities in the General Forum from people posting links to watch movies online though...

BennyBoop

BennyBoop said on the 26th Apr, 2013

Wow that's the shittest headliners in the history of Splendour in the Grass.
Think I'll be saving $$ for bigger & better stuff overseas.

MorningAfterboy said on the 26th Apr, 2013

fuk yer now u can go 2 burning man

Jose Cuervo said on the 26th Apr, 2013

I hope they announce that no fuckwits can attend.

...so there's no fuckwits

We have Meredith/Golden Plains for that

I want to go to burning man one year :(

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 27th Apr, 2013

Burning Man would be awesome

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 27th Apr, 2013

Isn't there some half arsed local version of Burning Man?

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Apr, 2013

Rule of thumb: for everything great in the world, there's always a half-arsed local version.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Apr, 2013

I know people who have done it who said it was still great. They are the type of people to get top notch acid though

There are 40 more comments. View them all