Image for Soundwave flare victim: “I am not disfigured”

Soundwave flare victim: “Iam not disfigured”

A woman claiming to be the victim of yesterday’s Soundwave flare incident has spoken for the first time about the extent of her injuries, clearing up some misinformation circulated by media yesterday.

Writing on her Tumblr, the woman – who hails from Newcastle and posts under the alias “girlwithapug” – claims she received several stitches to her shoulder, not her forearm as previously reported (photos below). The incident occurred during Bring Me The Horizon’s set between 7.30pm and 8pm at Sydney’s Olympic Park yesterday, with Soundwave boss AJ Maddah tweeting that she’d been “seriously burned and disfigured” by the lit flare.

“Its basically just Chinese whispers really,” she posted on her Tumblr. “The rumours have just escalated horribly out of proportion! I’m trying to let everyone know what actually happened, but it’s hard trying to fight like 90% of Australian media.” She concluded by saying she “had a good day” and voiced her disappointment at missing Paramore and Blink-182.

Another flare was reportedly lit in the crowd during Metallica’s headline set on the mainstage. FL reviewer Rhett Davis witnessed the incident: “It was shot by a guy atop someone’s shoulder near the front of the pit,” he told us today. “Security immediately started hitting it with a hose. No one was pulled out after the flare with an injury from what I could see.”

About 70,000 people attended Soundwave in Sydney yesterday. Photos here, full report soon.

Full statement

So yesterday at sydney soundwave, during bring me the horizon someone decided to let off a flare in the middle of the mosh, that was all well and good, as i was one person away from the barrier. Until someone decided to throw one towards the stage, this just happening to hit me on the shoulder, realising id been burnt, i was then pushed to the ground by the crowd, ALMOST LANDING ON THE DAMN FLARE. luckily a guy who i didn’t even get to see helped me up. i then had to scream at the security at the front to help me out, at which point they couldn’t because the crowd was freaking out and i was pinned to the barrier. after finally getting pulled out i was then directed out to go back to the normal crowd, and yelled at by multiple security for heading towards the first aid tent side of the stage, until a whole lot of swearing and trying to get someone to actually stop for 5 seconds and realise, i was finally sent to the tent.

kudos to the man who looked after me, i dont think there was a whole 60 seconds that he wasn’t putting saline on my shoulder and tried to clean it, we then had to walk all the way over to the base camp for first aid, where i basically stood under a shower for 10 minutes to clean it a little, my shoulder was then dressed and i was told to go to hospital. due to my living in newcastle they told us to drive home and go to john hunter. so after the 20 minute walk back to the car. the 2 hour or so drive home, i got to belmont hospital, where it was poked and prodded to see if they could actually even stitch it up, which luckily they could, so a few stitches later and a 1am trip to work for some dinner, i find myself snuggled in bed with the comfort of my pug.

I AM NOT DISFIGURED. IT WAS MY SHOULDER. NOT MY FOREARM. IT WAS NOT MELTED PLASTIC. IT WAS THE FLARE ITSELF. just wanted to clear that up guys.

Comments

sweet_sweet_tunes

sweet_sweet_tunes said on the 25th Feb, 2013

you learn something new every day

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 25th Feb, 2013

is anyone else aroused?

Suzy Qew

Suzy Qew said on the 25th Feb, 2013

ouchy... those photos..... ><

batgirl93

batgirl93 said on the 25th Feb, 2013

...you don't get stitches for a burn...

crob said on the 25th Feb, 2013

and the king of the fuck heads is this guy

edit-i would normally avoid double posting, but if anyone knows who this shit head is contact the twitter fingers Maddah

abualkyr

abualkyr said on the 25th Feb, 2013

you've obviously never had a burning hot piece of anything burn a hole through your skin before.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 25th Feb, 2013

I'm sure what you were all wanting to know more than anything is what she looks like:

crob said on the 25th Feb, 2013

oooo.... shes pretty

Last edited by grattan: Today at 6:59 PM
Reason: Please don't post the image of the "flare guy". Let the police deal with it...

sorry man...

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 25th Feb, 2013

it's pretty cool she's more worried about missing a couple of bands than her injuries but jeeez, her shoulder is like 5-6 inches from her sweet face, imagine it hit her cheek or forehead!?

a flare should NEVER have gotten in the place! what the fuck were security doing?

bjw1

bjw1 said on the 25th Feb, 2013

it's a catch 22 for security- if they check every single persons bags extensively, make them go through scanners and pat them down it would take forever for the punters to get into the venue.

crob said on the 25th Feb, 2013

according to reddit n twitter yhey were busy taking away peoples medication that they need to not die.... inhalers, narcolepsy meds, etc

Stefan Beck said on the 25th Feb, 2013

"FL reviewer Rhett Davis witnessed the incident"

Rhett Davis? What kind of loser name is that?

Oflick said on the 25th Feb, 2013

My friend got in with his diabetics medication (needles, insulin, all that) without anyone checking his bag. And my anecdotal evidence is the most valid of all evidence.

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Feb, 2013

If the guy had it strapped to the inside of his thigh it's unlikely they'd have found it.

Shame the thing didn't go off in his pants.

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 25th Feb, 2013

Shame the thing didn't go off in his pants.

if they had the dogs that sniff out explosives and not drugs they'd catch him in a second!

they're stricter about drugs at festivals than airports, why not explosives?

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 25th Feb, 2013

I don't think those dogs would be trained to sniff out flares. Since they're not really explosives or even illegal. Or would they? I have no idea.

After working with many security personnel at the entry point for Falls, the majority of them really don't give a fuck. There's no accountability.

I wouldn't think explosives would be high on the list of probable contraband. I did once find fishing grade explosives in a glove box....

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 25th Feb, 2013

i wouldn't have either but hey i'm a just a drug lovin music fan that hates what festivals have become

the friggin beer companies probably pay for the drug dogs to stop the pot n pills then sell the worst most ripped off piss ever made

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 25th Feb, 2013

to state my position, i've forked out near a grand for sideshows rather than go to soundwave this year....

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 25th Feb, 2013

holy fuck, she'd be disfigured after i got through with her. I would wreck that.

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 25th Feb, 2013

with the explosive flare down your pants?!?!

Oflick said on the 25th Feb, 2013

I didn't need to read your post. I just saw that you had posted and knew you said something like this.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 25th Feb, 2013

i'd bring her the horizon..

OF MY KNOB.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 25th Feb, 2013

So apparently BMTH was so bad some of the crowd left in stitches?

I'll see myself out.

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Feb, 2013

Apparently this is the guy that brought the flare to Soundwave.

random_hero

random_hero said on the 26th Feb, 2013

crob said on the 26th Feb, 2013

AJ explained his reaction to the age

also liked this comment

"Personally I think he should be arrested just for the sailor cap.’’

grattan said on the 26th Feb, 2013

Dogrockdog

Dogrockdog said on the 26th Feb, 2013

why aren't flares only available to people withh boating/skippers tickets?when found "dead calm " the cunt

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I guess it's up to me to get in contact with her.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 26th Feb, 2013

ahhh something something? system of her brown?

Oflick said on the 26th Feb, 2013

You don't have to try too hard. Everything sounds dirty in this context.

I'd cypress her hill.
I'd engage with her killswitch.
I'd go all time low on her.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 26th Feb, 2013

There'd would be blood on her dancefloor?
I'd flog her molly?
I want to go down on her fozzy and come up with a chelsae Grin?
Pierece her viel?
get her while she sleeps?

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd let the offspring on her main stage.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd give her my red fang.

Oflick said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd join her Polar Bear Club.

Oflick said on the 26th Feb, 2013

Now enough of these jokes, I'm Sick Of It All.

Oflick said on the 26th Feb, 2013

And besides, I bet she's Garbage.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 26th Feb, 2013

period jokes classy

Oflick said on the 26th Feb, 2013

Because blood on her dancefloor wasn't a period joke?

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 26th Feb, 2013

ok ok i admit it.... i'd lick her lamb of god and puscifier kiss

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd Blink 182.

OK. This game is shit.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd hit it so hard I'd leave soundwaves

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I'd light her fire.

...that was terrible.

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Feb, 2013

I would take her out to a nice seafood dinner and then never call her again.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 26th Feb, 2013

She's probably screen capping this thread for her restraining order applications.

grattan said on the 27th Feb, 2013

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Feb, 2013

WHY AREN'T I GETTING FREEEEE STUUUUUFFFF!?!

I thought not seeing BMTH would be reward enough?

crob said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I'm guessing AJ has a lawyer saying don't say anything, let us contact her....

I don't know what the terms n condition are for entry into he festival, but I'm guessing soundwave failed there duty of care

Oflick said on the 27th Feb, 2013

So, girl with a pug is a different girl who was hurt? The one AJ's been talking about is someone else? I'm confused.

crob said on the 27th Feb, 2013

----

----

well it was reported that 3 people received minor burns by the flare, so AJ may have been talking about someone else with original tweets... though the report also said that the near by burn unit never received anyone... and this girls tweets imply that the others who were burnt are seeing BMTH for free tonight.... thinking there is some missing information here, might be someone with a fake twitter account trying scam AJ

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I'd walk on her red shaw.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I still would like to see her fight 90% of the media.

Grattan is gloved up and ready to rumble. BAM BAM - he hooks GirlWithAPug with his signature 1-2 snark. Sarahanne has launched from the ropes, smashing GWAP with a Fair and Balenced body slam.

Who is this? Oh my god it's Everett True bursting down the ramp. He leaps into the ring giving GWAP a 'Vitrolic Former Glory' power bomb. He tries to follow it up with the Remember when I found Nirvana submission hold but he strains his back and slightly soils himself. A dirty end for the once relevant icon.

Swanny and DoubtfulSounds double team attack with a 'My God Are We Good At This' double clothesline while old gregg performs his Sexual Assault finisher. That's not a move, he's just finished himself off in the ring, the dirty chav.

Resident luchador, El Loro, kicks GWAP while she's down - a dirty tactic from the dirty San(tos)chez. In the end it's Darren Levin, The People's Champ, who ends it with a Line In The Sand shoulder charge followed by 7 count pinfall from guest ref gumbuoy.

When asked on his thought about the match, colour commentator AJ Maddah requested we 'lick his cunt' and MAB said he liked everything about the match 'except for Kasabian.'

MEDIA WIIIIINS!!

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 27th Feb, 2013

Whilst we're on the subject. What's the go with Pugs? They're ugly. They're stupid. They're always grunting. And they piss themselves when they get overly excited. Why the love?

Sure, I also piss myself but at least I have redeeming qualities.

Braveheart81 said on the 27th Feb, 2013

The worst is the loud breathing.

It would drive me nuts.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I got some love for Pug ain't nothing funnier than seeing them try and swim.

crob said on the 27th Feb, 2013

Sure, I also piss myself but at least I have redeeming qualities.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Feb, 2013

nawww but dey so smooshy!
Gregg loves pugs, but he's afraid he would pop their eyes out, so he's going for a French bulldog,

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I still would like to see her fight 90% of the media.

When asked on his thought about the match, colour commentator AJ Maddah requested we 'lick his ****' and MAB said he liked everything about the match 'except for Kasabian.'

MEDIA WIIIIINS!!

I am dedicating my 31,000th post entirely to this one. This is the absolute best.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 27th Feb, 2013

Is that the moment when he realised the ugly dog with the ruined face in the mirror was actually himself?

grattan said on the 27th Feb, 2013

^ Excellent use of the 31,000 (I feel another tribute album coming on)

Meanwhile in pug world:

gumbuoy said on the 27th Feb, 2013

If AJ had such a lawyer, and he actually listened to said lawyer, he wouldn't have gotten into any of his Twitter slap fights

Braveheart81 said on the 27th Feb, 2013

AJ being driven to Soundwave by his lawyer.

The other guy in the car is Santos who AJ promised a free ticket to and then kicked him out when they were almost there.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 27th Feb, 2013

Sure, I also piss myself but at least I have redeeming qualities.

Sounds like your describing a metallica fan at soundwave.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I still would like to see her fight 90% of the media.

MEDIA WIIIIINS!!

I was going to dispute this, but if I saw that girl I'd probably go jerk it in the corner, I won't lie.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 27th Feb, 2013

Wait.....she cannot attend the mindless self indulgence gig due to injury , but would like free tickets for BRMC that is around the same time?

Oflick said on the 27th Feb, 2013

I think it was more that she felt she was being ignored.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 27th Feb, 2013

She should stop flaming over twitter, she might get burnt again.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Feb, 2013

she got burnt with an object literally designed for attention-seeking, isn't that enough?

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Feb, 2013

this situation is going to flare up again, I just know it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Feb, 2013