Image for They Might Be Giants announce GTM sideshows

They Might Be Giants announceGTM sideshows

They Might Be Giants announced last month that they would be headed our way in April, and after being confirmed on the Groovin The Moo lineup, the band have now confirmed their own run of headline shows.

This will be the first Australian tour for They Might Be Giants since 2001, with shows scheduled for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth as well as the GTM dates in Maitland, Canberra, Bendigo, Bunbury and Townsville. The festival will see them play alongside bands such as Tegan and Sara, The Kooks and The Bronx, all of whom have just announced their own sideshows. They Might Be Giants will kick off their Australian tour in Sydney on April 24.

Guitarist John Flansburgh and keyboardist John Linnell are also preparing for the release of TMBG’s 16th album, Nanobots, due out on March 5. Giving fans a glimpse into their creation; they have released an “anti-spoiler” of the album featuring the first 7 seconds of all 25 songs played at the same time.

They Might Be Giants are best known for providing the soundtrack to the TV series Malcom in the Middle with their song ‘Boss of Me’ which also won them a Grammy Award in 2002. Some of their other hits include ‘Birdhouse in Your Soul’, ‘Istanbul (Not Constantinople)’, ‘New York City’ and ‘Dr Worm’ which came in at #13 on the Hottest 100 in 1998.

They Might Be Giants tour dates:

Wednesday, April 24 – Metro Theatre, Sydney
Thursday, May 2 – Corner Hotel, Melbourne
Wednesday, May 8 – The Zoo, Brisbane
Thursday, May 9 – The Gov, Adelaide
Friday, May 10t – Rosemount Hotel, Perth

Tickets on sale Thursday, February 14

Social

Comments

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Wow, would not expect them to be playing The Zoo, was expecting The Tivoli, Hi-Fi or maybe even Eatons Hill.

Oflick said on the 6th Feb, 2013

The Metro seems right for Sydney. I thought it would be either that or Enmore Theatre. Wouldn't have been surprised by the Hi-Fi, either.

Will definitely be heading along to this.

I mean, there are no absolutes, but I intend to head along to this.

gumbuoy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Will probably attend, depending on cost

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Feb, 2013

I'm surprised people expected them to play bigger venues. I think most people know them as the Malcolm In the Middle guys.

Oflick said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Didn't they also do the Daily show theme?

Oflick said on the 6th Feb, 2013

HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY AVATAR JUST CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!q!!!!!

gumbuoy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Your avatar still looks the same to me. Bill Hicks, yes?

Oflick said on the 6th Feb, 2013

It was Bill Hicks, but I've been waiting for it to change to a Rocko's Modern Life since at least October last year.

It changed for me, at least.

gumbuoy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

It's Rocko when I look at it on the story page, but Hicks when I look at the forum page.

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

The thing I love about TMBG is that they're different things to different people. Gen X-ers know them for their late-80s/early-90s material, most people my age know them for Boss of Me and/or Doctor Worm, and an even younger generation will know them because their Gen X parents bought them Here Come The ABCs, Here Come The 123s and Here Comes Science.

gumbuoy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

For me it's definitely Birdhouse In Your Soul and Til My Head Falls Off, with a dessert of Dr Worm.

Oflick said on the 6th Feb, 2013

It came out two years before I was born, but Ana Ng is the TMBG song for me. (Well, the top one at least).

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Feb, 2013

Dr Worm, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Boss Of Me, Man It's So Loud In Here, New York City, Istanbul.
Could keep going for a while, too hard to pick favourites but Dr Worm would definitely be one of them.

nos235

nos235 said on the 8th Feb, 2013

Wow almost 20 years ago since I saw them at the Synagogue. May '95 IIRC. Was a fucking amazing show though. Tiny Venue, absolutelypacked, the band was in awesome form. I had hearing loss for 3 days as i was virtually on the speaker. Highlight of the night was Stompbox but every song was great.

my TMBG top 10

11. No one knows my plan
12. Your Racist Friend
13. Metal Detector
14.The Statue got me high

shit that's more than 10, I could go on as well

gumbuoy said on the 13th Feb, 2013

Tickets for the Bris show on sale at 9am, which means now...

Oflick said on the 14th Feb, 2013

I'm going to put off buying a Sydney ticket (I assume they're on sale now) and just hope they don't sell out. I read that book the Secret*, so I know all I've got to do is believe it won't sell out and I'll be fine.

*By read the book, I mean I saw that episode of The Chaser's where they mocked it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 14th Feb, 2013

I can't see this one selling out for awhile, tbh.

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Spare ticket for tonight in Sydney if anyone wants it?

Oflick said on the 24th Apr, 2013

Will definitely be heading along to this.

I mean, there are no absolutes, but I intend to head along to this.

Lucky I clarified that I might not go to this show. Otherwise when I don't show up tonight everyone in the audience would be like "he said he was coming, that lying cunt".

Sorry if my replying to this thread gave you hope that you sold your ticket, MAB.