Image for Fall Out Boy back to “save rock and roll”, touring Aus

Fall Out Boy back to “saverock and roll”, touring Aus

It’s the news you’ve all been waiting for: After three very long (and very dark) years Fall Out Boy have returned from hiatus. Not only that, but they’ll be touring Australia in March.

The Chicago pop-punk act unexpectedly regrouped last night, dropping a new single, the Maroon 5-ish ‘My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)’ and details of a new album, the humbly titled Save Rock and Roll (out May 7). The follow-up to 2008’s Folie á Deux, it marks the 10th anniversary of the band’s seminal debut Take This To Your Grave.

Posting on their website last night, the band – Patrick Stump, Pete Wentz, Joe Trohman and Andy Hurley – were quick to point out that while they haven’t played together in five years, this wasn’t a reunion per se. “When we were kids the only thing that got us through most days was music,” the statement read. “Its (sic) why we started Fall Out Boy in the first place. This isn’t a reunion because we never broke up. We needed to plug back in and make some music that matters to us.”

During their time apart, Patrick Stump released a solo album, guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley formed a side project called The Damned Things with members of Anthrax and Every Time I Die and Pete Wenz dabbled in dubstep under the name Black Cards.

Fall Out Boy will embark on a world tour following the release of Save Rock and Roll, including dates in the US, Europe and two Australian shows: March 25 at Metro Theatre in Sydney and March 27 at the Palace Theatre in Melbourne. Watch the video for ‘My Songs’ below, which was shot in the band’s hometown of Chicago.

Fall Out Boy Australian tour dates 2013:

Monday, March 25 – Metro Theatre, Sydney
Wednesday, March 27 – Palace Theatre, Melbourne

Comments

Mr_V1tr1oL

Mr_V1tr1oL said on the 4th Feb, 2013

surely there'll be a minimum of 2 shows for Syd and Melb?

crob said on the 4th Feb, 2013

whoever knew it would be Fall Out Boy that would save rock and roll....

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 4th Feb, 2013

WHO ELSE LUVS PATRICK'S BANGIN' NEW BIKINI BOD???

MorningAfterboy said on the 4th Feb, 2013

WHO ELSE LUVS PATRICK'S BANGIN' NEW BIKINI BOD???

Stump gives MAb wood.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 5th Feb, 2013

What is this "rock and/or roll" and why are they saving it?

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2013

Because we may need it later.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 5th Feb, 2013

anyone got sale times or prices?

gumbuoy said on the 5th Feb, 2013

Who knew rock and roll needed saving?

Actually, rephrase that.

Which idiots thought rock and roll needed saving?

Sex Cauldron

Sex Cauldron said on the 5th Feb, 2013

"the 10th anniversary of the band%u2019s seminal debut take this to your grave."

the fuck?!?!?

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Feb, 2013

It's not their debut. Fall Out Boy's Evening Out with Your Girlfriend is.

Oflick said on the 5th Feb, 2013

I kind of like that "THNKS FR TH MMRS" song.

I assume they others, but if I haven't already heard them they must be shit.

knate

knate said on the 5th Feb, 2013

not according to wiki

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 5th Feb, 2013

Their marketing folks apparently.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2013

The crowd at these shows will be vile.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Feb, 2013

Take This to Your Grave is the second studio album and first full-length release by American rock band Fall Out Boy. It is the band's first release under the Fueled by Ramen label and was released on May 6, 2003.

gumbuoy said on the 5th Feb, 2013

The AVClub's review of Pete Wentz's book, giving it a grade of 'F'

The book reads a bit like the discarded notebooks of an emo teenager.

Lolololol

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 5th Feb, 2013

i really like that review. pretty much sums up everything i'd expect from a book written by wentz. he wrote some really good lyrics backs in the day, they were always about smart turns of phrases. the fact that he needed help to write the book (from someone who work for mtv no less) is a bit shit too.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 5th Feb, 2013

Will be at palace. Way better band than blink or descdendents. Cork tree kills it

tyler07 said on the 5th Feb, 2013

I didn't mind them back in the day but god that new song is awful.

Would've probably attended a Brisbane show but.

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 5th Feb, 2013

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 6th Feb, 2013

killers and yyy how much were they, that being said both have a bigger over age fanbase than fob, so i think it'll sell out a little bit slower than those two but will still sell out within the hour, is melbourne on sale friday week also?

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Yes it is.

Presale on Wednesday via Live Nation.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 6th Feb, 2013

will camp outside ticketmaster

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Will pass on to the authorities.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 6th Feb, 2013

You are the sure fire definition of a gutless fuckbag

Stefan Beck said on the 6th Feb, 2013

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Feb, 2013

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 7th Feb, 2013

come back setlist :D

Thriller
I Slept With Someone in Fall Out Boy and All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me
A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More 'Touch Me'
Dead on Arrival
This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner
I'm Like a Lawyer With the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You)
Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today
Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy
Hum Hallelujah
Dance, Dance
Medley (Honorable Mention/America's Suitehearts/Lake Effect Kid/Alpha Dog/Calm Before the Storm)
What a Catch, Donnie
The Take Over, the Breaks Over
I Don't Care
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)
Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year
Beat It
Sugar, We're Goin Down

ENCORE
Chicago Is So Two Years Ago
Thnks fr th Mmrs
Saturday

Napoleon Solo said on the 7th Feb, 2013

I actually like From Under the Cork Tree and Take This To Your Grave. I will go if Gman lets me jump the line.

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Feb, 2013

That is an A1 setlist. Can't wait to hear more new material.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 7th Feb, 2013

napelon 'only posts about me' solo. i concur gr8 setlist, i especially like the first two records being the main set list.

Napoleon Solo said on the 7th Feb, 2013

So I take that as a yes you will let me jump the line. Cool beans.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 7th Feb, 2013

i got banned from the metro for throwing drinks on people so i'll be at melbourne. so no i won't let you cut the line because i wont' be there hurrr

Napoleon Solo said on the 7th Feb, 2013

edit:
Sydney is through ticketek so I don't need you after all. I have an insider at ticketek.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 9th Feb, 2013

come back setlist :D

Thriller
A Little Less Sixteen Candles, a Little More 'Touch Me'
Dead on Arrival
This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner
I'm Like a Lawyer With the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me & You)
Tell That Mick He Just Made My List of Things to Do Today
Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy
Hum Hallelujah
Dance, Dance
What a Catch, Donnie
The Take Over, the Breaks Over
I Don't Care
My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)
Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year
Beat It
Sugar, We're Goin Down

ENCORE
Chicago Is So Two Years Ago
Thnks fr th Mmrs
Saturday

No Pros and Cons of Breathing :( I don't think they ever perform it live but a girl can hope. Apart from that, I am very happy with this setlist.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 9th Feb, 2013

i'm happy, I Slept With Someone... is probably my fave FOB song, followed closely but Champagne For My Real Friends (kinda wish that was on there)

i'm pretty stoked on this set.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th Feb, 2013

I always liked Nobdy Puts baby In The Corner and This Ain't A Scene best.

From Under The Cork Tree is their only album I like from start to finish, I could never get into their others. I like a lot of random songs on their other albums though.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 9th Feb, 2013

This is one of my favourites too. I'm also really pleased with all of the Take This To Your Grave tracks, as I the only ones from that album I've seen them do (from memory) were Grand Theft Autumn and Saturday. Homesick at Space Camp and Of All The Gin Joints In The World would have been nice too, but I shouldn't complain.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 9th Feb, 2013

these are also my feelings.

Chicago is so Two Years Ago and Tell That Mick are also da tittiez.

MorningAfterboy said on the 14th Feb, 2013

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 14th Feb, 2013

that sounds slightly less painful live. I know the album will probably be embarrassingly pop, but it'd be nice if that song was the exception and not the rule. I'd settle for something closer to infinity on high, but a lot of the songs on folie a deux were in this mold and I'm not sure why they're so set on it.

stump is fucking boss. can't believe they're playing at the palace. considering I saw them at rod laver and festival hall. the show will be awesome.

MorningAfterboy said on the 14th Feb, 2013

Tickets go on sale at 9am, tickets sell out at 9am. How is this humanly fucking possible?

berlinchair101 said on the 14th Feb, 2013

Yeah I didn't grab any either.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 14th Feb, 2013

I got mine on Wednesday.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 15th Feb, 2013

(Hum) Hallelujah, my friend managed to get tickets this morning.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 15th Feb, 2013

see you there then friend. you guys at MCS too?

grattan said on the 5th Mar, 2013

Patrick Stump Vs Haters:

How many people reading this are fans of Nickelback? How about Dane Cook? Now, I can safely assume that, unless this blog gets reposted on a site dedicated to those respective artists, those questions would be met with tumbleweeds and the distant sound of crickets. Like Creed or Limp Bizkit or the “Dude! You’re getting a Dell!” kid, they’ve become ubiquitously hate-able. I would not be exaggerating to state I’ve simply never heard someone admit to liking them.

Why is that? Now, I’m not saying I like them. Like you (fellow pop culture spectator) I am honor-bound by the unspoken law that, no matter what, I am not allowed to say anything positive about these artists. What have they really done wrong? Have they offended me? Not really. I’ve been more offended by Michael Richards famous rant or Sean Connery’s statements about hitting women. I still watch Seinfeld and James Bond movies. Hell, the misogynistic subtext of James Bond movies offend more of my sensibilities than anything Nickelback ever did and yet I don’t have any problem escaping to a world of fast cars and women with offensively suggestive names (Pussy Galore? Like…are we not even trying?) Somewhere in the world at this moment, some snooty contrarian is probably defending the paintings of Adolph Hitler. Yet for some reason, here I am crippled by a vague and probably unwarranted desire not to appear to be a fan of Nickelback and Dane Cook.

That’s sad. In this generation of blazing wi-fi and scathing tweets, I think it’s very easy to lose sight of anyone else’s opinion. We’re so busy broadcasting our latest cultural disdain that we scantly notice anything we enjoy. “Oh man, this Rebecca Black kid is terrible! Let’s laugh at her!” has become more culturally relevant than “I really love this new Bilal record.” I read an entire article examining why we as a society don’t like Anne Hathaway’s (in my un-necessary opinion, lovely) face. Well, criticizing art and the artists that make it is a lazier pass time than creating or appreciating it.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Mar, 2013

Shut up, Stump, you mango faced cunt.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 5th Mar, 2013

- nickelback are shit.
- dane cook is shit.
- anything fall out boy make from this point onward will probably be shit.
- and with her short hair, anne hathaway looks like she had what stephen hawking has but they caught it early and were able to stabilize it.

would bang though.