Big Day Out attendance up in2013

In a boon for festival organisers, Big Day Out’s attendance figures for 2013 are well up on last year’s tour.

According to figures published in the major newspapers, the festival sold roughly 201,000 tickets for this year’s shows despite dropping Auckland from the schedule and only running one event in Sydney. In 2012 BDO sold just over 173,000 tickets with headliner Kanye West dropped from the lineup that headed to the shows in Adelaide and Perth. At its peak in 2010, the festival drew over 337,000 fans to see Muse, Powderfinger and The Mars Volta in six cities with two dates required in Sydney to meet demand.

The strong 2013 sales are good news for the festival’s “rebranding year” following a difficult 2012 which saw Big Day Out promoters Ken West and Vivian Lees part ways, poor sales and headliner Kanye West dropped from the final dates of the tour. Lees and West had produced Big Day Out together since 1992 and promoted international tours together for a decade prior to launching the festival. The Big Day Out is now run by Creative Festival Entertainment, a partnership between Ken West and the Texas-based C3 Entertainment, which produces Lollapalooza and Austin City Limits.

Last week Ken West told The Age that he was keen to welcome back older fans who no longer attended the festival. ‘’You have to adapt to a point of view that believes that after 20 years of festivals a whole generation of people think they are too old to go. They’d love to but they don’t know what the rules are,’’ West explained. ‘’If we try to do everything in one day it doesn’t quite work. The slant this year is high-quality musicianship.’’

As FL reported from the Sydney leg of the tour, “In the process of 12 months, the Big Day Out has gone from a festival on the brink of extinction to something that feels new and fresh. Many of the festival mainstays are gone: the Lilypad has all but disappeared, as have many of the art installations. But in return, they have been traded off for something that, between the absurdity of the El Jimador Wrestling Bar and the separation of the festival from its negative stereotypes (only one Australian flag used as a cape was seen), feels exciting, youthful, and most importantly relevant. It’s incredible that 21 years since the first Big Day Out, the festival is still finding ways to change the landscape of Australian live music for the better.”

Big Day Out attendance:

Gold Coast:
2013 – Nearly 40,000
2012 – 40,000+
2011 – 50,000 (Sold Out)

Sydney:
2013 – 57,000
2012 – 47,000
2011 – 55,000 + a second day with 19,000 tickets sold before the ‘bring a friend’ offer

Melbourne:
2013 – Over 50,000
2012 – 42,000
2011 – 52,000 (Sold Out)

Adelaide:
2013 – More than 19,000
2012 – 12,000
2011 – 30,000+

Perth:
2013 – Around 35,000
2012 – 12,000
2011 – 35,000

Comments

crob said on the 29th Jan, 2013

so Adelaide the dead weight..... but then again nothing good goes to Adelaide

batdan

batdan said on the 29th Jan, 2013

Perth had a great comeback, I was hoping Adelaide was bigger.

trenticles

trenticles said on the 29th Jan, 2013

attendance was up this year? i don't think so.

hopefully this is the last we see of this festival. they can't compete with other festivals and all ken does is whinge about the other festivals being better.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 29th Jan, 2013

attendance was up this year? i don't think so.

yeah since when was 200 000 a bigger number than 173 000. typical ken west bull shit.

crob said on the 29th Jan, 2013

does AJ ever release his numbers?

BennyBoop

BennyBoop said on the 29th Jan, 2013

I went to Adelaide BDO, it wasn't that busy,& it was great! getting around was piss easy,you could drink anywhere,even in the "D" which was set up differently this year.Good Beer selection too compared to other BDOs around the country,Dr Tims pale & Coopers Lager beats the crap outta Carlton Dry,Pure Blonde White or whatever other shite it is you novices have to drink whilst standing behind a wire fence like rent-a -crowd bogan sheep!

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jan, 2013

attendance was up this year? i don't think so.

lol

OrdinaryInfidel

OrdinaryInfidel said on the 29th Jan, 2013

The dickhead quotient was back up to pre-2012 levels.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 29th Jan, 2013

dickhead quotient on FL BDO threads has gone back to pre-2012 levels as well.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 29th Jan, 2013

genuinely surprised if there were 35,000 people at the perth bdo.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 29th Jan, 2013

after my fifth beer the ladies serving the beer could be ducking off out back and squatting over the cups and i wouldn't know the difference in taste.

but tis good they finally sell the beer that is drunk in that particular city.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 30th Jan, 2013

2011 lineup > 2012 & 2013 together

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 30th Jan, 2013

2011 & 12 were poo, hence they had no crowd. 2010 was good, Decemberists was great & Muse's last hurrah before another piece of shit album. I had a great time this year and the crowd was even happy and relatively bogan free in Melbourne (though I didn't see Chilly Willy so they may have all come for that)

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 30th Jan, 2013

2011 had greater attendances than 2012 and 2013. Tool and Rammstein and Deftones, great memories that year :)

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jan, 2013

[citation needed]

Thankfully didn't watch the other two, but Tool were fucking awful. Completely upstaged by what I saw before (LCD Soundsystem) and after (Grinderman) them.

berlinchair101 said on the 30th Jan, 2013

Tool sucked in 11. Nothing on their 07 performance.

Rammstien were pretty sweet though.

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jan, 2013

I thought all three of them sucked in 2011.

Rammstein have the novelty factor but that wore pretty thin after two songs.

Tool are a shadow of their former selves.

I like a bit of Deftones stuff on record but the sound from the stands during their set was terrible. It might have been better if I'd ventured closer to the stage but plenty of other bands sounded good from that far back.

berlinchair101 said on the 30th Jan, 2013

Yeah Deftones sounded pretty shite.

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jan, 2013

I pretty much don't give a shit about Deftones apart from their self-titled album. Pretty bummed that letlive. are touring with them.

gumbuoy said on the 30th Jan, 2013

I didn't go to BDO, but I saw a news report on TV. The sound was off, but I think I got the gist of it. No way were there as many people as BDO are claiming. I saw, like, 15 people in the report. 20 tops.

crob said on the 30th Jan, 2013

Tool n Deftones were pretty horrible that year... I enjoyed Rammstein ....

batdan

batdan said on the 30th Jan, 2013

I liked Tool. What a diverse bunch.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 31st Jan, 2013

would it be fair to say that Soundwave's costs (mainly lineup costs) would be much higher than BDO's??

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jan, 2013

At this stage, quite possibly.

Braveheart81 said on the 31st Jan, 2013

I'd think so. My guess is that Maddah runs his festivals on a much tighter budget/profit margin than most other promoters (at least intend to do).

The one thing Soundwave has in their favour is that the bottom third of their lineup would be ridiculously cheap. All those scene/pop punk bands would get their travel expenses paid and maybe a per diem or similar and that would be it.

shazie said on the 31st Jan, 2013

Made this comment a couple years ago but I think the bottom third of the lineup would be happy to be paid in watermelon.

"C'mon Mr Maddah, you can't eat ALL that watermelon"

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 31st Jan, 2013

gotta say it's really impressive to see the festival continue to do well despite all the changes and competition in recent years.

was initially a bit suprised and puzzled by the intimate sideshows but in the end (after attending 3 of them) it was a big winner for me.

Braveheart81 said on the 31st Jan, 2013

RHCP are definitely a good BDO headliner. Despite how unpopular they've become in recent years (particularly amongst music forum nerds) they fit with the BDO demographic very well.

Appeals to young and old fans and they have a lot of sing-a-long songs that everyone knows.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 31st Jan, 2013

pretty much every conversation i overheard at BDO sydney was about RHCP. even the people around me at Foals spent half the set contemplating going to RHCP.

strange people out there.

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jan, 2013

I'm really, really glad I didn't see them.

berlinchair101 said on the 31st Jan, 2013

I really, really wish I spent more time/money at chow town.

shazie said on the 31st Jan, 2013

Fact: Chow Town is the greatest thing to have ever existed.

batdan

batdan said on the 31st Jan, 2013

Yeah, I'm sure plently of people went just to see the RHCP. They may be getting old, not writing material as good as they used to (much like other bands who were big in the 90's) but they can please the masses. The stadium was packed and the crowd was lapping it up (during the older hits mostly) but Uncle Ken would've been stoked they pulled it off.

40000+ people much outweighs forum and FB haters.

I only had a chicken kebab at chow town. They were tasty.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 31st Jan, 2013

$30 million in ticket sales much outweighs forum and FB haters.

fixed for accuracy

TJ12

TJ12 said on the 5th Feb, 2013

will never go to another bdo after my first one being this year, gold coast, sound completely screwed for rhcp, no explanation or apology from bdo organisers despite the truck load of complaints on their fb page, completely unacceptable for a so-called professionally run event.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2013

RHCP are shit. There is your explanation.

grattan said on the 19th Jan, 2014

Gold Coast 2014: "More than 35,000"

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 19th Jan, 2014

Auckland had something around 40,000, and may or may not have actually sold out.

gumbuoy said on the 19th Jan, 2014

Welcome back grattan!

nos235

nos235 said on the 19th Jan, 2014

Hopefully they're better this time - any reports from Auckland or GC or was everyone at PJ at the time?

tyler07 said on the 20th Jan, 2014

My friend walked away from Deftones after 4 songs due to terrible vocals. Said they were high pitched and screeched like nails on chalkboard.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 20th Jan, 2014

And I don't know about Gold Coast, but their setlist in Auckland was almost identical to the one they played in 2011, bar maybe 2 or 3 new songs.

grattan said on the 24th Jan, 2014

2014 attendance updates via Fairfax:

Gold Coast: "According to the Big Day Out statement, the turnout was nearer 35,000, something strongly disputed by insiders but not contradicted by either police or Metricon management, neither of whom kept their own tally and referred all inquiries to BDO management."

Melbourne: "More than 23 000"

Sydney: "Without a late surge of sales it is possible there will be fewer than 30,000 people at Homebush on Sunday. The number could even be as low as 22-23,000."

crob said on the 24th Jan, 2014

fuck me that's low.... I wonder how much there going lose

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 24th Jan, 2014

I think they need to get rid of having it on Australia Day in Sydney, can only speak for myself here but I know about 10-15 people who were considering going to BDO but decided not to because of having other Aus Day plans. I think the only year we've managed to sellout in Sydney recently was last year and that was also the one year is wasn't on Aus Day.

Victim

Victim said on the 24th Jan, 2014

It was the smallest BDO crowd I've ever seen in Melbourne yesterday. Even less than 2012 I'd guess, particularly at main stages. They didn't even have (or need) a 'D' barrier set up.

They should've had Melbourne today and Sydney on Monday (once they cancelled 2nd Syd show) that might have helped a little for both, but I guess it was just the lineup overall. The fact they first thought they'd need 2 Sydney shows for it (after saying never again 3 years ago) tells me someone isn't quite in touch with things in BDO world...

Oflick said on the 24th Jan, 2014

I think it was reasonable to assume that Pearl Jam would have been a bigger draw. But the fact that they thought they could sell two Sydney shows just makes this sadder to me.

Maybe they should throw all their money at Daft Punk for next year. I don't know, I'm trying to think what bands could help them bounce back (if they even try to bounce back).

crob said on the 25th Jan, 2014

ultimately i think the big day out brand is dead... maybe they could try keep it alive by doing smaller shows, less acts longer set times, try pull crowd size similar to harvest

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 25th Jan, 2014

It's weird hearing about this considering how much of a success the Auckland one apparently was.

nos235

nos235 said on the 25th Jan, 2014

Isn't Perth sold out as well?

12487jb

12487jb said on the 26th Jan, 2014

47,000 in Auckland apparently

grattan said on the 27th Jan, 2014

From ninemsn -

"As the crowd numbers grew late in the afternoon, Big Day Out organisers said the expected overall attendance [in Sydney] was 35,000."

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jan, 2014

Didn't feel anything close to that for me

shazie said on the 27th Jan, 2014

Yeah same here. Don't get me wrong, I loved not having to be squashed in-between 2 sweaty men without being able to breathe in boiling hot weather all day, but it didn't feel like that were that many people there.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2014

Crowds keep getting smaller and I keep having a better time.

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 28th Jan, 2014

yes, marvellous :)

esp the indoor setup, JBL stage i think it was called

grattan said on the 31st Jan, 2014

Adelaide: "Organisers estimate 15,000 people attended the event yesterday in the festival's new home of Bonython Park."

nos235

nos235 said on the 1st Feb, 2014

Any photo's up from Adelaide yet - showing the crowds? Because 15,000 at Bonython would look very sparse. Given Soundwave has 40,000 in the same location and even that doesn't look packed out

grattan said on the 1st Feb, 2014

nos235

nos235 said on the 1st Feb, 2014

Doesn't look too bad on the main stages - everyone must have had the same thoughts on who to see. Boiler Room only looks half full late though. If anything should go from the BDO (if it's to stay) it should be the boiler room. FMF has that market captured. Although looking at one of those photos ,looks like they paid to have 5-6 people walk around in bright yellow FMF advertising jump suits at BDO, and last years FMF at Bonythong didn't look much more packed than those photos from yesterday. But FMF has much lower overheads than the BDO