Image for Yeah Yeah Yeahs hint at "secret" show; warn fans about new album

Yeah Yeah Yeahs hint at"secret" show; warn fans aboutnew album

Although the Yeah Yeah Yeahs have only announced one Big Day Out sideshow, drummer Brian Chase has revealed that there might be some local, underground announcements of a “secret” gig when the band arrives in Australia. Speaking to FL this week, Chase mysteriously suggested that “people have their ear to the ground I think they might pick up on it.”

When the Yeah Yeah Yeahs crew were last in Australia – for Karen O’s “psycho-opera” Stop the Virgens performance at Vivid LIVE festival in May 2012 – Chase played a one-off improvised experimental jazz show with local musicians Sophia Brous and Shags Chamberlain.

Chase says that despite featuring the full Yeah Yeah Yeahs lineup, the Stop the Virgens shows were “definitely not a Yeah Yeah Yeahs production”. The live band for the production featured Chase and Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zinner – alongside the rhythm section from The Greenhornes and keyboard wizard Money Mark – but in Chase’s words Stop the Virgens was “very much Karen’s vision … there’s some crossover with personnel but really the vision stems as Karen’s project.”

While Chase proved to be an unusually tight-lipped interview subject he did confirm that the band’s unnamed new record will be out around the end of March. As for other details, Chase stonewalled all questions telling FL, “I don’t know if I’m feeling ready to go into too many details just yet”. He did grudgingly admit that new song ‘Despair’ – described by Spin as “a spare thumper that recalls Florence and the Machine’s ‘Dog Days Are Over’” – provides “somewhat” of an indication about the band’s current sound. However he went on to caution that the track “definitely kind of stands as its own statement”. Pressed for something (anything!) about the album Chase could only offer the warning: “watch out or it might sting your bum”. Revealing, huh? Ah well, I guess a little mystery never hurt.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be playing some of their new songs when they tour with the Big Day Out and play a single sideshow in Sydney. Their last headlines show in Australia were in 2010 when they toured for the Falls Festival and played sideshows in Sydney and Melbourne. FL’s reviewer in Sydney described the show as “vibrant and energising … treading that fine line that embraces energy, experimentation and pure melody.”

Yeah Yeah Yeahs photo by lukereidphoto

Comments

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 11th Jan, 2013

getting pretty pissy with bands giving fuck all away in an interview, if you're not ready to speak then don't agree to do the interview. truth of the matter is the shit they're hiding probably isn't all that interesting to begin with. going to go all nardwuar on the next pretentious ass to do it.

/rant.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 11th Jan, 2013

C'mon Greg. Brian is only the drummer. They never know anything about anything.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 11th Jan, 2013

regardless, only selective acts can pull off the mystery thing. it's ridiculous to me that both vampire weekend and yeah yeah yeahs have albums coming out between February and March respecitively, and neither are willing to pass comment on what they've been doing the past 2 years. because they're on a similar level, I'll compare, Foals have gone about Holy Fire the right way, they've put out minimal but intriguing quotes about their upcoming body of work as well releasing/revealing a few of the tracks from it, and from what I can gather its probably one of the most anticipated albums of the year for a band that size. Vampire Weekend did it with Contra, I don't understand why they're not doing it now, as for Yeah Yeah Yeahs, sure they're an acclaimed act, but at the same time if they don't talk about what they're trying to sell then no one's going to go for the mystery thing because people just don't care that much. they aren't The Strokes, or Arctic Monkeys, I don't believe they can get by on the assumption that people will rush for it just because they've made it. I don't see how it ruins any of the romance by talking a little bit out it - an influence, what's new, what it's based on, and why people should give a fuck, just say something.

all in my opinion of course.

ThatDude123 said on the 11th Jan, 2013

Or learn to interview in a way that makes them comfortable enough to release info?

Getting decent info out of an interview is like getting into a girl's panties: you can't just demand it then get angry when they won't deliver. It's their pants. Or, well, album. They can do what the fuck they want and will confide it in you if you go about it the right way.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 11th Jan, 2013

you're right Albert, I should drug Karen O.

ThatDude123 said on the 11th Jan, 2013

wait... THAT'S NOT WHAT AT...

...whatever, not like you weren't planning to do it already.

Now I have the mental image of you and Laks spit-roasting her. Oh dear.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 11th Jan, 2013

we'll get back to you when we have physical image, we're both taking our SLRs so we can take photos [shazie] from different angles, again and again and again and again and again. [/shazie]

god damn it, I was trying to have an actual input on this website and once again it's turned into a really dark place. [shazie] with sexy results [/shazie]

#gregglyf.

this is why I don't get offered opinion pieces haha.

shazie said on the 11th Jan, 2013

#gregglyf.

this is why I don't get offered opinion pieces haha.

It's finally happened, I have my own tags on FL. I won't need my HSC anymore!

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 11th Jan, 2013

hahahahahahahahahaha mega.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 13th Jan, 2013

haven't seen yyy since livid where she broke her foot in sydney so played in a wheel chair.

crob said on the 17th Jan, 2013