Image for Big Day Out rules out a move to Brisbane: "Cairns, Townsville and Mackay all possibilities"

Big Day Out rules out a moveto Brisbane: "Cairns,Townsville and Mackay allpossibilities"

The Big Day Out will be forced to leave its Gold Coast home in 2014 but don’t expect to see the event heading to Brisbane or Byron Bay.

BDO chief Adam Zammit has ruled out a move to potential festival locations in Brisbane and Byron Bay, telling the Coffs Coast Advocate that Byron Bay doesn’t need another music festival and that “there is plenty of stuff in Brisbane already”. The festival’s research shows that the Brisbane’s fans are happy to travel, so wherever the festival does end up in 2014 Zammit still expects to see a strong turn out of punters from the Queensland capital.

Despite the venue issue in Queensland, Zammit says that the festival is committed to continue running five events on the Big Day Out tour including a date “somewhere significantly north of Sydney.” Zammit has told The Cairns Post that the festival is “continuing to look at all options and Far North Queensland towns like Cairns, Townsville and Mackay are all possibilities, though we wouldn’t say they’re proximate opportunities for us in 2014.” The promoter also says that Far North Queensland “deserves and needs a big music festival” that can capitalise on groundwork laid by Groovin’ The Moo in Townsville.

According to the community newspapers Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill is already in talks with promoters, Cairns Mayor Bob Manning has confirmed that his council will also be contacting Big Day Out promoters, and the Coff Harbour council has announced that they’ll “definitely throw [their] hats in the ring.”

The “final” Big Day Out at the Gold Coast Parklands will be held on Sunday, January 20.

Gold Coast BDO 2011 photo by Kylie Keene

Comments

crob said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Cairns would be pretty awesome...

Hinee

Hinee said on the 7th Jan, 2013

I really wouldn't take "There is plenty of stuff in Brisbane already and our info tells us Brisbane is happy to travel," Mr Zammit said." as completely ruling out Brisbane/SEQ. I just really can't see it being viable to fuck around with small northern cities.

Braveheart81 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

If they can move back to the Gold Coast in 2015 it would probably make sense to have a single year in Cairns or Townsville rather than Brisbane and then move back to the Gold Coast.

Maybe somewhere on the Sunshine Coast would be a good option. Big population base and far more accessible from Brisbane.

gumbuoy said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Yeah - an hour down the road to the gold coast.

All the way to Cairns? Not so much.

Still, if this means Brisbane might actually get some decent sideshows, I'm all for it.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Erm right.

If I lived in Brisbane I'd be more likely to travel to Sydney for the Big Day Out than to Cairns or Townsville. But it would be a massive deal for any of those towns to get the BDO, good for them if it happens.

gumbuoy said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Ditto, except I'd probably go to Melbourne instead.

Also, in terms of the BDO/Soundwave rivalry, doesn't the phrase "“there is plenty of stuff in Brisbane already” almost sound like "Fuck it, you guys like Soundwave more than us, we're taking our festival somewhere else."

Jimmyopendoors

Jimmyopendoors said on the 7th Jan, 2013

happy with it coming to coffs. but in the end i think qld needs a bdo.

sweet_sweet_tunes

sweet_sweet_tunes said on the 7th Jan, 2013

haha fuck going all the way up there!

humanracin

humanracin said on the 7th Jan, 2013

it's cheaper to fly from Brisbane to Sydney than Brisbane to Cairns.
I can't imagine the heat in Cairns in January being too pleasant either...

I'd attend a Sunshine Coast BDO though.

Cpt_Pugwash

Cpt_Pugwash said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Having witnessed Korn and Guns and Roses in Townsville this is an awful idea. Plus seriously look at a fucking map, people arent going to travel up there.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

30 minutes on a train to Homebush is far enough for me, glad I don't live in QLD

craig123

craig123 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

the big pineapple ... there i said it !

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Not sure where the Sunshine Coast could stage such a thing. Maybe at the Nambour showgrounds? But honestly, really cant see it happening anywhere there.
Would be fucking cool for my hometown though (yep, shameless)

If it goes up far north then Id hope this would mean we'd finally get some sideshows

Mitchhh464

Mitchhh464 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

I know its quite small, but even Stocklands at Kawana, Sunshine Coast

Its got a bit of space, but no where near as big as parklands

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 7th Jan, 2013

pugwash you just admitted to seeing korn and guns and roses, nothing you say can be taken seriously now.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

I know its quite small, but even Stocklands at Kawana, Sunshine Coast

Its got a bit of space, but no where near as big as parklands

I'm really hoping Stocklands is a shopping centre. Big Day Out in a little rural shopping centre would be the best

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 7th Jan, 2013

should have it at woodford for two days like splendour seeing how they are so butthurt about losing sitg

Braveheart81 said on the 7th Jan, 2013

Yeah... they just do shopping centres differently in Queensland.

crob said on the 7th Jan, 2013

woodford would be pretty good

hearsz

hearsz said on the 8th Jan, 2013

The Tweed Shire council are supposedly firming as the front-runners for the event:
http//www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/01/08/444977_gold-coast-news.html

Andeh

Andeh said on the 8th Jan, 2013

I live in Brisbane, and there is no chance I would travel further than Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast for it. I would simply not go.

That said, as eww as the town is, you could easily stage BDO at Limestone Park in Ipswich

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 8th Jan, 2013

Tweed seems more sensible

Cpt_Pugwash

Cpt_Pugwash said on the 8th Jan, 2013

HAHA I know dude! In my defence I was up there for work and didnt make the trip especially. I still have nightmares about the crowd (you havent seen gross bogans till you've seen townsville bogans) and Axl's corn rows. Korn though....was entertaining.

I'll show myself out.

lava

lava said on the 8th Jan, 2013

every year i wait for brisbane sideshow announcements, bent over, holding my ankles and clenching my teeth ready for another shafting... I doubt a BDO move further from Brisbane will make this situation any different.

Braveheart81 said on the 8th Jan, 2013

And then every year you get nothing.

I'd probably stop bending over if I were you. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 8th Jan, 2013

Disappointment is in the eyes of the receiver imo

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 8th Jan, 2013

Shit, I live in Brisbane and still fly down for the Sydney BDO. Queensland is disgraceful for festivals. Fuckin' dismal.

tyler07 said on the 8th Jan, 2013

And then every year you get nothing.

Disappointment or some sort of Lumbar spine injury. Probably both.

grattan said on the 9th Jan, 2013

TWEED'S tourism body says hosting the Big Day Out would be a promotional and economic win for the shire.

Destination Tweed manages business and tourism promotion for the shire and they're hoping council is able to snatch the large music festival away from the Gold Coast.

Destination Tweed CEO Bill Tatchell was hopeful the festival would find a new home on the Tweed.

"The festival is fantastic," he said.

"We'd be exposing our region to 40,000 people.

"It's a real opportunity for tourism promotion."

BDO organisers Peer Group Media are due to meet with Tweed council early next week for discussions about the festival possibly moving to the area.

mcloud

mcloud said on the 9th Jan, 2013

should have it in Rockhampton - that would put a cat amongst the pigeons

Piko

Piko said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Tweed is a great idea, it doesn't suffer from QLD's mid strength alcohol at festivals law.

Braveheart81 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

BDO has had mid strength alcohol in NSW in recent years too hasn't it?

Or has it started with full strength and then they move to mid strength mid afternoon.

crob said on the 10th Jan, 2013

mid strength... one of the many reason why I don't drink at festivals any more

Piko

Piko said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Oh I thought they started full and went mid last time I was at a Sydney BDO

berlinchair101 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

BDO has had mid strength alcohol in NSW in recent years too hasn't it?

Mmm Coopers Mild!

craig123

craig123 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

hmmm i think the mid strength thing is going everywhere these days isnt it ?

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Fuzzy festivals don't force the mid strength nonsense!

berlinchair101 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

They just force full strength shit.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 11th Jan, 2013

at the cost of giving Campbell Newmans gvt credit for anything....EVER.......