Image for triple j Hottest 100 betting 2012: 'Little Talks' Vs 'Thrift Shop’

triple j Hottest 100 betting2012: 'Little Talks' Vs'Thrift Shop’

Voting has opened for the 2012 Hottest 100—and Icelandic folk and novelty hip-hop songs lead bookies predictions for top honours.

Of Monsters and Men’s ‘Little Talks’ is the early for the 2012 Hottest 100 despite being released in December 2011, and not this year. Although the list has been topped by older songs in the past – Muse’s ‘Knights of Cydonia’ managed to top the 2007 poll despite being released in June 2006 – we can look forward to much gnashing of teeth and frenzied calendar pointing if the song does top the poll. ‘Little Talks’ has gone double platinum in Australia and peaked at #7 on the ARIA charts.

With a nod to the Hottest 100’s rich history of rewarding novelty songs, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ ‘Thrift Shop’ is also at very short odds to take out the poll. Much like PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ the song managed to reach number #1 on the Australian charts with the hep of a viral video that has had over 30 million views. There are no odds currently listed on Sports Bet for ‘Gangnam Style’, which has had over 971 million views on YouTube.

According to the bookies, the most likely local acts to top the Australia Day countdown are The Temper Trap, Tame Impala, Flume, Amity Affliction or Unearthed act Asta.

The 2011 poll was won by Gotye’s ‘Somebody That I Used To Know’ ahead of songs by The Black Keys, Matt Corby, Boy and Bear, M83, Lana Del Rey, San Cisco, 360, The Jezabels and Hilltop Hoods.

To cast your vote click here.

Related: The Winners and Losers of the 2011 Hottest 100

Hottest 100 Odds:

Voting closes at midnight on Sunday, January 20

Comments

MorningAfterboy said on the 19th Dec, 2012

Being ancient + ripping cones all day will do that to you.

Braveheart81 said on the 19th Dec, 2012

Which makes it a surprise he doesn't know all the Tame Impala songs.

MorningAfterboy said on the 19th Dec, 2012

To be fair, Tame Impala aren't the Smashing Pumpkins. And he only seems to know/like one band.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 19th Dec, 2012

Anyone find it strange that omam have already toured and this album has been out a year and they are know tipped as the 'hot new things' due to little talks airplay, fucking jjj fans, oh voted every lisa mitchell and alpine song #iregretnothing

tyler07 said on the 20th Dec, 2012

I'm offended that there are no other Carly Rae votes, c'mon people!

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 20th Dec, 2012

you are the opposite of ian with your 27 year old girl fetish

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 20th Dec, 2012

I did not understand that.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 20th Dec, 2012

they already toured this year but all the trendsetter jjj fans are only just discovering them now and the record has been out nearly a year.

berlinchair101 said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Opposite as in not a peadophile?

Braveheart81 said on the 20th Dec, 2012

That's generally what happens with little known bands. The songs don't really explode right away. It takes a while before they reach critical mass and become very popular.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Yep - it happens all of the time.

I hadn't heard OFAM before that - I'd heard of them, but not listened to them.

It certainly shouldn't be anything to get upset over.

batdan

batdan said on the 20th Dec, 2012

tell me what to vote for and we will split the winnings

MorningAfterboy said on the 20th Dec, 2012

This was my 2nd round of voting.

Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless
Tame Impala - Apocalypse Dreams
Gorillaz - Do Ya Thing {ft. Andre 3000 & James Murphy}
Smith Street Band, The - Sunshine & Technology
Snakadaktal - Dance Bear
Something For Kate - Survival Expert
Cub Scouts - Do You Hear
Grimes - Oblivion
David Byrne & St Vincent - Who
Shins, The - Simple Song

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Hmm, Simple Song is probably the most obvious one that I missed so far.

That said, The Shins gig @ Hordern put me off them a bit.

batdan

batdan said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Mark Of Cain, The - Barkhammer
Mark Of Cain, The - Heart Of Stone
Children Collide - Cherries (I'm On Your Side)
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
Something For Kate - Miracle Cure
Band Of Skulls - Sweet Sour
Black Keys, The - Little Black Submarines
Bronx, The - Ribcage
Death Grips - I've Seen Footage
DZ Deathrays - No Sleep

Napoleon Solo said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Of Monsters and Men are shite, Thrift Shop is terrible as well.
I really hope Of Monsters And Men clash with Cloud Nothings or Japandroids at Laneway.

Victim

Victim said on the 20th Dec, 2012

For the betting side of it, 'Gold On The Ceiling' might be one to keep an eye on (17-1 on Centrebet), as that has the Triple M/commercial side to it as well, although obviously it came out a long time ago which doesn't help compared to Thrift Shop. The Black Keys were 2nd last year from memory, which surprised me at the time not knowing they had spread outside of JJJ radio-wise.

I thought Jack White - I'm Shakin' might be up there for the same reasons, but that's not even on the Centrebet shortlist, so maybe not!

Tame Impala will have their votes spread over too many songs to be #1 I'm thinking. The Rubens on the other hand...

EDIT: I just noticed in the article 'My Gun' was 26-1 to begin with? Wish I was on that...

timm_1602

timm_1602 said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Little Talks will win this by miles and miles. every year people try and find a reason for the obvious not to win, but like gotye and mumford and sons before them, omam have created the song that has been smashed repeatedly on triple j through the middle of the year and then picked up later on by every other commercial station to the point of saturation. Im unloading, should be black caviar odds

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Did it up pretty quickly, dun h8.

MorningAfterboy said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Imagine the Smithies at number 100. Just IMAGINE.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 20th Dec, 2012

I definitely think it's possible, triple j played S&T a fair bit and I think most of their fanbase will give them a vote.

Napoleon Solo said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Mumford and Sons wasn't really in the conversation the year it won. When it leaked they had won there was genuine shock.

gumbuoy said on the 20th Dec, 2012

yeah, except that Gotye winning last year was the most foregone conclusion, nothing had come even close. And like Nap said, the only reason M&S was obvious was because they accidentally revealed it.

Those conditions you're talking about - JJJ smashing a song, and then it being picked up? They apply to Thrift Shop, as well as quite a few other songs this year. Little Talks is one of the favourites, but not a foregone conclusion.

Napoleon Solo said on the 20th Dec, 2012

If I have the majority of the demographic pegged correctly as the shit people that they are... Thrift Shop will be number 1.

truthlies

truthlies said on the 20th Dec, 2012

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/myvotec.png/]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7715/myvotec.png

kaydee

kaydee said on the 20th Dec, 2012

My votes FWIW:

Band Of Skulls - Bruises
Sharon Van Etten - Serpents
Smith Street Band, The - Sunshine & Technology
Polica - Dark Star
Fiona Apple - Every Single Night
Chet Faker - I'm Into You
Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless
Courtney Barnett - History Eraser
Jack White - Love Interruption
Thee Oh Sees - Floods New Light

I gave next to no thought to these. Saving my brain power for the Hot 100 that counts:

4ZZZ Hot 100 2012

Skrillex - Bangarang {ft. Sirah}
Something For Kate - Star-Crossed Citizens
Something For Kate - Survival Expert
Violent Soho - Tinderbox

larrybird

larrybird said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Are you seeking help for your problems? Might I suggest some therapy sessions?

Stefan Beck said on the 20th Dec, 2012

Seriously? You aren't fooling anyone.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 21st Dec, 2012

Yeah I have a feeling it will also.
I hope not though, that song is absolute trash.

Napoleon Solo said on the 21st Dec, 2012

Is LarryBird that fucktard from Victor Harbor?

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 21st Dec, 2012

So who/what is larrybird?

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 21st Dec, 2012

jlchilds

jlchilds said on the 21st Dec, 2012

mumford and sons was paying $1.50 before it was leaked. it was a foregone conclusion. won by more votes than any song has ever...

this year a number of songs can win.

JSet

JSet said on the 21st Dec, 2012

my votes for the year.
songs that just missed out:

r u mine?
breezeblocks
sixteen saltines
elephant
sunshine and technology
the house that heaven built

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 21st Dec, 2012

slothman

slothman said on the 21st Dec, 2012

lol at this. enjoy flushing your money down the toilet.

what a sham it will be if 'my gun' wins...it would be a disgrace if it won, hope it doesnt. there really are some terrible songs in there this year.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 21st Dec, 2012

No matter which song wins, I won't be as annoyed as I was when Big Jet Plane won.

damo3265

damo3265 said on the 21st Dec, 2012

ever since mumford and sons, fuck the hottest 100.

damo3265

damo3265 said on the 21st Dec, 2012

if ke$ha isn't in the top 10, you can fuck me. taylor swift is a gimme.

damo3265

damo3265 said on the 21st Dec, 2012

the problem is:
i used to thin k that the hottest 100 represented the listeners of triple j.
then mumford & sons.
now it's just a music poll for morons.
i'm telling you, ke$ha and taylor swift. put money on them.

damo3265

damo3265 said on the 21st Dec, 2012

i've noticed that despite my warnings, people still are voting for tame impala.
stop it. stop it now. burn them with fire.

shazie said on the 21st Dec, 2012

Damo. Calm down, take a deep breath and read this book; it'll explain everything about what you're going through:

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

This. I'm not sure if any future winner of the Hottest 100 could be as bad as Big Jet Plane, it sounds like it was written by a five year old and sung by two manic depressives who forgot to take their meds.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

Quite possibly the most boring song I've ever heard. Man, I was so mad. I didn't even like Rock It that much either, but when it got down to the top 2, I was begging for it to be the winner over BJP.

gumbuoy said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

the problem is:
i used to thin k that the hottest 100 represented the listeners of triple j.
then mumford & sons.

thats right. because noone who listens to JJJ likes Mumford and Sons. FACT.

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

I found Rock It way more offensive than BJP

shazie said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

Mostly because BC can't seem to work out what they're referring to by "it".

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

Why must they be so mysterious!?! I just want to join in.

shazie said on the 22nd Dec, 2012

BC:

(I was going to post the gif but it was giving me a seizure)

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

Hold on, larrybird is not the same little shit as the other guy that has a knack for making shit threads, is he?

I just told him that I like him on another thread. I feel violated.

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

Oh, and my top 10 is in that other thread. CBA doing a top 100.

Annies boobs

Polica - Dark Star
Purity Ring - Belispeak
Silversun Pickups - Skin Graph
Snakadaktal - Dance Bear

YouCantQuitMe

YouCantQuitMe said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

so its a toss up between what i can only assume is a novelty song that would not have been given a second listen if not about op shops and a song that sounds like a bad version of home by edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros. i guess i shouldn't be surprised.

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

I love that you signed up just to say that. 10/10 input.

tyler07 said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

OM&M just sound like the Arcade Fire to me.

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

They sound absolutely nothing like Arcade Fire.

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

I'm going to ignore that.

tyler07 said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

But you didn't ignore it by responding?

Oflick said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

Those two bands are completely different. Arcade Fire are like "where's the car", and OM&M are like "where's the car".

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 23rd Dec, 2012

I think OM&M should not be written off before seeing them live.
I currently rank their corner show in my top 5 best performances I have seen
(there has been a lot but yes I am very much an 80s gen Y child)

Andeh

Andeh said on the 25th Dec, 2012

wait, people thought for even one second that mumford weren't going to win that year? when it leaked it just confirmed assumed knowledge.

StevieJay7181

StevieJay7181 said on the 1st Jan, 2013

the killers - runaways could be a smokey

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 1st Jan, 2013

Top 100 played tracks on triple j in 2012.

Victim

Victim said on the 1st Jan, 2013

My votes:

Children Collide were the last eliminated from my shortlist (despite me originally having them as part of 9 locked and deciding which to leave out of either MS MR or Purity Ring..)!

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Jan, 2013

Impala and Presets are a lock; Ms Mr is a possibility.

Braveheart81 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

I voted for:

Jack White - Freedom At 21
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
Cloud Nothings - Wasted Days
Of Monsters And Men - Little Talks
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop {ft. Wanz}
Divine Fits - Would That Not Be Nice
Band Of Skulls - Bruises
Black Keys, The - Gold On The Ceiling
Django Django - Default
Purity Ring - Fineshrine

deanoss

deanoss said on the 10th Jan, 2013

I just can't see Tame Impala not winning. These gimmick singles just won't cut enough votes. The best album as voted by the public will surely lend itself to getting stacks of votes in the count.
at 8:1 or whatever it is, id say Elephant is a decent bet. That and It Feels Like We Only Go Backwards will surely both be top 5.

ThatDude123 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

I feel like Tame Impala is this year's Gorillaz: They'll have two in quick succession near the top, but no number one.

berlinchair101 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Tame Impala had a hit album but it had no big singles.

ThatDude123 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

The album is well-loved though, but you're right. The fact that no one song is a stand-out will split the vote. Still confident they'll get close to the top with a couple. Probably have the most in the whole list.

berlinchair101 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Exact same thing happened to Foals - Total Life Forever. Well loved album, played to death on JJJ, predicted to do well, too many songs to choose without a definite big hit, their top entry was about 96.

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Jan, 2013

Wolfmother got more votes than any other act in the 2005 Hottest 100. But it was split between half a dozen songs or some shit. Hence why old mate Bernald got the win.

gumbuoy said on the 10th Jan, 2013

I was sure Mind's Eye was going to win that year by a mile. We were talking during the countdown about what songs would be big enough to be the 'Wolfmother-killer' - don't think Fanning even crossed our minds.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 10th Jan, 2013

and how terrible was that Bernard Fanning song?

gumbuoy said on the 10th Jan, 2013

I loved that Bernard Fanning song, and album :)

deanoss

deanoss said on the 10th Jan, 2013

its not like you can only pick one song...

the majority of their fans will vote for both the big guns.

Braveheart81 said on the 10th Jan, 2013

its not like you can only pick one song...

the majority of their fans will vote for both the big guns.

You don't get to number 1 in the Hottest 100 by just having your hardcore fans vote for multiple songs.

The average punter will vote for one song by each band on their list and that will cause the bulk of Tame Impala's votes to be split amongst several songs.

I really can't see Tame Impala winning the Hottest 100.

gumbuoy said on the 10th Jan, 2013

its not like you can only pick one song...

the majority of their fans will vote for both the big guns.

yeah. but to get to #1, you've gotta snare the casual voters, as well as your fans. The casual voters have got heaps of songs to number 1 in recent years - the kind of people who will sling a vote to a song, even if they're not huge fans of the band, just because they kinda like the song.

The casual vote for TI would be split between their songs, I think.

Plus, and someone else might have to fill me in - have any of TI's songs made the leap to Nova/Austereo stations?

deanoss

deanoss said on the 10th Jan, 2013

The casual vote for TI would be split between their songs, I think.

I suppose... Pretty Fly For A White Guy DID win it one year

ThatDude123 said on the 11th Jan, 2013

The casual vote for TI would be split between their songs, I think.

No, but The Rubens have. TI have made it to MMM though.

gumbuoy said on the 25th Jan, 2013

Okay folks, less than 24 hours to get in your tip in the hottest 100 tipping competition.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 25th Jan, 2013

spotify's bio says they are 'the new arcade fire' wasn't aware arcade fire were a band that had broken up or hadn't been around for 20 years.

Andeh

Andeh said on the 25th Jan, 2013

I thought Feels like we Only go Backwards was a bigger song than Elephant, but it appears I am quite wrong. But yeah, the split between the two song will probably result in both being top 10, but neither top 3.

Oflick said on the 25th Jan, 2013

Yeah it's kind of stupid to call them the new Arcade Fire when it hasn't even been ten years since Funeral was released. But they do sound like a whimsical, folky version of Arcade Fire.

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Jan, 2013

I think Of Monsters and Men sound more like a good version of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros to me than the new Arcade Fire.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 25th Jan, 2013

edward sharpe's popularity on the other hand went away so quickly, guess that show's the mainstreams attention span. Wish they did a side tour, as i didn't want to pay 100 dollars to see them play a shorter set.

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Jan, 2013

It was more a case of their second album having no big singles like the first album did.

The second album sold better than the first but the lack of singles means the casual fans lose interest.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 25th Jan, 2013

i loved the edward sharpe 2nd album, oh how much fun I had listening to that album.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 25th Jan, 2013

yeah i just remember no one shutting up about them when they did that first tour and then did big day out or some festival after that, either way hope they come back on a headliner.

There are 79 more comments. View them all