Image for Good Charlotte’s Madden brothers: From PETA activists to KFC posterboys

Good Charlotte’s Maddenbrothers: From PETA activiststo KFC posterboys

Selling out is one thing, but Good Charlotte’s Madden brothers – Joel and Benji – are seemingly prepared to put personal ethics and lifestyle choices aside to get on the potato and gravy train.

The pop-punk opportunists are the faces of a new KFC campaign, which encourages fast-food lovers to pen a song about the everyday moments that make being in Australia and eating fried food “So Good”. The pair have signed up to write the a new ditty for KFC and they’re calling on fans to submit videos, stories or photos to a special “Good Times Gallery” to inspire the anthem.

Only trouble is they’ve been vegetarians (or at least purport to be) since 2003 [Update: Joel Madden is now claiming he’s never been a vegetarian]. In 2009 they created vegetarian and vegan burritos for a late-night dining menu US restaurant chain Denny’s and have been outspoken in their support of animal rights group PETA, with Good Charlotte appearing on a 2003 PETA compilation called Liberation alongside fellow animal advocates Goldfinger, The Used, Midtown, NOFX, Story of the Year and Anti-Flag. Benji even appears in a YouTube video against animal cruelty, in which he discusses his vegetarian lifestyle, saying that animal rights is something “God put on my heart”.

But putting aside the fact that KFC has no vegetarian options at its Australian franchises, the endorsement looks even more suspect when you consider that Good Charlotte member Billy Martin – a one-time PETA vegetarian of the year – just last year joined tourmates Goldfinger in a series of demonstrations in the US aimed at urging the public boycott of the fast food giant.

PETA, of course, has been a long-running opponent of KFC. In 2001 they launched a “Kentucky Fried Cruelty” campaign that sought to change KFC’s treatment of chickens raised for its restaurants in the US. Since then they claim to have protested more than 12,000 times against KFC.

Incidentally, Benji Madden’s former girlfriend Sophie Monk was criticised for being “two-faced” in 2008, after she was snapped with food from KFC, despite being a PETA activist and vegetarian.

The KFC campaign was launched last night at an exclusive event in Sydney featuring a rendition of ‘Good Times’ by Jimmy Barnes and the Madden brothers. The Maddens will perform the jingle at the International Twenty20 cricket match at ANZ Stadium on Australia Day. They’re also appearing at tomorrow night’s ARIA Awards in Sydney.

CLARIFICATION: Joel Madden has denied involvement with PETA, telling us via Twitter that he’s never been a vegetarian.

Social

Comments

berlinchair101 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

If Good Charlotte are vegetarian, why do they eat so much dick?

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 28th Nov, 2012

rocknrollhendro aka the guy from the frankston bus

yavimaya

yavimaya said on the 28th Nov, 2012

which rugby team do you support?

... and don't say the all blacks. i've assumed that already.

a kiwi supporting the all blacks, is that like an african american liking chicken?

Napoleon Solo said on the 28th Nov, 2012

gumbuoy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken#Racial_stereotype"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken#Racial_stereotype

gumbuoy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

only if they're about to walk into a bar with a lawyer and a Jew.

berlinchair101 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Southern fried chicken is amazing.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 28th Nov, 2012

agreed would be one of my favourite foods.

crob said on the 28th Nov, 2012

wow.... just wow...................................

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Oh yes we fucking do. I have heard some pretty racist things here in Nelson. And if they aren't racist, then they are targeted at foreigners of any kind.

EDIT: Just saw that you're from Hastings. It would then make sense that you haven't heard many racist things in NZ then, since the North Island isn't as densly populated with white people as the South Island is.

And the Crusaders are my favourite Super 15 team and Tasman Makos my favourite ITM Cup team if anyone cares.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

you fucking cargophobe!

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 28th Nov, 2012

So just to get things straight - if someone makes an unintentionally racist post they get hung and quartered for it but it's ok to use the word cunt with abandon on these forums?

Not that I disagree with anything that was said about Hendo's post. I'm all for cultural sensitivity, but I'm also a fan of gender sensitivity.

inb4 someone calls me a cunt.

gumbuoy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

im still not sure where people are getting the idea that Hendo was hung, quartered, viciously attacked. seems to me a few people raised the issue, he said he didn't know, it was explained, he accepted it, other people accepted his acceptance.

fasterlouder group hug!

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

To be fair, I don't think of the word cunt as having any connection with female genitalia.

I think more of Jose Cuervo, morningafterboy, Ramoneselaar, berlinchair101 or any number of cunts on this forum.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Fair enough. Y'all just a bunch of sexist cunts. ;)

I don't have a problem with the word per se, it really depends on the context. When people use it as the worst insult you can call someone, it bugs me.

Having said that, I do use the word prick to describe people all the time, so I guess I'm a sexist prick too ;)

Napoleon Solo said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Can we say cunt again? When did that happen?
I have taken to using Karmichael Hunt as a substitute for the word cunt. I shorten it to Khunt, is that still offensive?

edit: Evidently not.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 28th Nov, 2012

You just change the colour to black in the middle of the word and away you go. Just don't use it in the context that I mentioned above.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Can we say **** again? When did that happen?
I have taken to using Karmichael Hunt as a substitute for the word ****. I shorten it to Khunt, is that still offensive?

edit: Evidently not.

Bames

Bames said on the 28th Nov, 2012

As a Vegetarian, I don't care for Good Charlotte.

As a culturally aware realist, I am impartial to racism.

I prefer 'Your Mumma...' jokes in lieu of both scenarios.

Drop it like its hot.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 28th Nov, 2012

No, that was me.

Why say C*** when you can just as easily say Knucklehead?

berlinchair101 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

This is a real cunt of a thread.

tyler07 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

I'm a cunt, you're a cunt, we're all cunts. Fasterlouder is a great place to be.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Sif no one dropped this when hendo first started pitching that ad idea

Also, totally flattered that Braveheart thinks of me. What a sweetie.

ThatDude123 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Best.

I have some rather militant vegan friends who tried one day to explain to me how PETA's methods were more good than bad. They did this while I ate a chicken kebab. Hah.

Napoleon Solo said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Best.

Did said friends share PETA's views on pokemon?

gumbuoy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

PETA aren't dumb, they know you gotta catch 'em all!

crob said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Best.

i respect and approve of your ways....

---------

on hendo remarks earlier, i'm surprised that he didn't know of the connection between fried chicken n african american culture as being racist... i just thought it was a bad joke that fell flat... though in his defence it is impossible to know everything that every different culture finds offensive...

n on Annies boobs remarks, i dont see cunt as a sexist word... but thats just me

to end this post on racial sensitivity/the ethics of the word cunt, i'll leave you with this analcunt classic

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 28th Nov, 2012

I have no problem with cunt or douchebag for that matter, just don't use the word bimbo

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 29th Nov, 2012

I'm not surprised that you guys don't find it offensive, when this topic has come up in conversation irl opinion seems fairly evenly divided along gender lines - most men I know don't find it offensive, most women I know do.

Regardless of our differing opinions on the c word, I'm sure we can all agree that Good Charlotte's music is offensive to good taste.

crob said on the 29th Nov, 2012

I approve of this message

kaydee

kaydee said on the 29th Nov, 2012

I'm a woman that doesn't find the C word offensive or sexist in any way and a lot of my female friends don't either. I don't really use it myself (I may have a few times in extreme circumstances) but it's just a word. Sticks & stones and all that.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

I would consider calling someone a sandy vagina far more sexist than calling them a cunt.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

Don't be such a dick about it.

yavimaya

yavimaya said on the 29th Nov, 2012

i respect and approve of your ways....

---------

n on annies boobs remarks, i dont see cunt as a sexist word... but thats just me

hey johnny made it into a pro hitler video, bet hes ecstatic.
0:41.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 29th Nov, 2012

And I consider this:

to contradict your earlier posts to Hendo:

being mindful of what might cause offence and avoiding it even if it has no direct relevance to you personally

Ignorance is rarely an excuse for anything.

but I didn't point it out yesterday because I was trying to be constructive about other people's opinions. My sandy vagina post was in reference to an earlier post I had made, in which I also used the word vagina, otherwise I would have said sandy balls.

You seem to have taken my comments personally, and I didn't intend them that way. The reason why I raised this in this thread instead of the next time someone used that word was precisely because I didn't want it to seem like I was singling anyone out. It was just something I'd noticed that had bothered me and I thought I'd say something about it. Would you rather people didn't speak up when something offends them?

Sorry for the long post.

batdan

batdan said on the 29th Nov, 2012

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 29th Nov, 2012

From Wiki

Now that we've re-appropriated the word to refer to, not just a single body part, but the whole being of our dickhead mates, the word could hardly be thought to be offensive for the same original purpose. It's more likely that people are experiencing a left-over shock at hearing a taboo word spoken. Which is what makes it a funny word to use all of the time, you fucking daft cunt.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Nov, 2012

From Wiki

I really don't see how anything you said or quoted makes it inoffensive.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

It's come late in the game, but what a fine contender for Worst Thread Of The Year 2012

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Nov, 2012

And no NOS involvement!

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

This was all us. Good work everyone.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

Sorry for the long post.

I didn't take anything personally. I was just having a discussion.

I definitely think people should speak up when offended. If I offended you at any point I apologise unreservedly.

gumbuoy said on the 29th Nov, 2012

Speaking as a mod, if you are offended by the c-word or other coarse language being used on here, please send me a PM and let me know. Your identity will absolutely be kept confidential.

We've always taken a pretty loose hand with course language (and most other things tbh) on here, but if it's something that is offending people, we can consider a stricter approach.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 29th Nov, 2012

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Nov, 2012

I'm heavily offended by the word "grinspoon", can something be done about that?

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I didn't take anything personally. I was just having a discussion.

That's ok. Water under the bridge.

[QUOTE=The Great Monkey War;824521}Now that we've re-appropriated the word to refer to, not just a single body part, but the whole being of our dickhead mates, the word could hardly be thought to be offensive for the same original purpose. It's more likely that people are experiencing a left-over shock at hearing a taboo word spoken. Which is what makes it a funny word to use all of the time, you fucking daft ****.

African-American people have re-appropriated the n word, that doesn't make it ok for everyone to use. If the word is no longer offensive, than why does this site edit it from people's posts in the first place? It doesn't edit fuck or shit.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my second post, but if you're using it as an affectionate term for your mates, that doesn't really bother me. It's when I hear people use it as an insult that it offends me. You should however be aware that it is difficult to convey tone over the internet, presumably that's why we have colour-coded sarcasm.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 30th Nov, 2012

Imagine what they'll read out at Joel's funeral one day.

Joel started a punk band and made music that connected with angst ridden teens, then they made that pretty commercial album about rich and famous people (i.e. Good Charlotte), then with the last teenciest little poofteenth of dignity he might have had left, He made that song about Brass Knuckles hanging from his neck and his chain while mouthing off a shitload of brand endorsements. Completely sold out and at rock bottom, Joel was not content with the fact that he'd already gone as low as he possibly could, he became a judge on a not so credible pop start contest. Then there was that PETA KFC dealy, though I needn't remind you all of that.

seriously, what a cock up of a human being

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I confess in my early teens I used to smash the first two Good Charlotte albums and occasionally I'll give the first a listen even these days.

gumbuoy said on the 30th Nov, 2012

Imagine what they'll read out at Joel's funeral one day.

seriously, what a cock up of a human being

If they use the word 'poofteenth' at his wedding, I will give you $1000. Make it happen :)

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I didn't say it was no longer offensive. I said it shouldn't be considered offensive anymore since it's been massively re-appropriated. I said that the offensive "shock" that the word has is a leftover from it being a taboo word in the first place. People will probably go through the same process of desensitisation as with fuck and shit, and it won't be as big a deal.

When used as an insult it's just as often, if not more often, used on guys, so I fail to see how the word is offensive for the same feminist reasons that it may have once been.

Death of Marat

Death of Marat said on the 30th Nov, 2012

KFC is wrong for so many reasons, as a vegan I avoid it but employing Good Charlotte for advertising will deter people more than my words ever would. PETA are crazys anyway.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 30th Nov, 2012

As an insult, that word is used in a really spiteful way. The word is a vile name for a vagina, nothing else. You don't think when insulting a male (or female) with such wrath, such spite, to name him that when you could have said anything else, you are associating the target with a vagina. Now vaginas are lovely, in no way should they be associated with someone deserving such anger. Why connect them with something so lovely. They should be praised, not named is such a derogatory manner as an insult.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I could really go some popcorn chicken right now

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 30th Nov, 2012

If I called someone a pussy I would be implying they are a wimp by comparing them to a female body part with the assumption that females are not as brave as men. That would be associating the target with a vagina in a sexist way.

To call someone a cunt is to call them a dickhead or an asshole. Cunt is just a rude word because we've always considered it a rude word and are encouraged not to say it.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 30th Nov, 2012

Yeah right. I'm sure you would call your own or someone's mother or grandmother that when they were being a dickhead. It's just rude, isn't it. There's absolutely no association with a vagina. You have no class.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I mentioned that it's still a rude/shocking word, so of course I wouldn't call my grandma or my mother that.

Dunno if you've noticed this, but plenty of people call each other "bitch" in mock-insult."Sup bitch", "sickbitch", "oh you bitch", etc. But in the context people don't take it or mean it seriously, so it doesn't matter. I believe cunt is going through a similar process, but I might be wrong. I did preface my thought (a few posts ago) with "probably".

Napoleon Solo said on the 1st Dec, 2012

Dunno if you've noticed this, but plenty of people call each other "bitch" in mock-insult."Sup bitch", "sickbitch", "oh you bitch", etc. But in the context people don't take it or mean it seriously, so it doesn't matter. I believe **** is going through a similar process, but I might be wrong. I did preface my thought (a few posts ago) with "probably".

Did the female dogs used to have a problem with bitch?

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 2nd Dec, 2012

But I think if my reaction to it was just leftover shock at a taboo word, then I would experience that shock no matter what context the word was used in. I think it's still offensive if it's used to insult guys, because by attempting to insult a man by comparing them to a female body part, there's an implication that women are somehow inferior to men.

I do understand what you mean about words being re-appropriated. Basically I think the source of our disagreement is that you think it has already been re-appropriated, and I don't think we're there yet. I also think that if a word that has been used to dehumanise women is to be re-appropriated, it has to be done by women, the same way that bitch has been and the same way that the n word has been re-appropriated by African-American people.

Maybe I'm being naive but when people use the word pussy as an insult, I always thought of cats (weak as a kitten, the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz, etc). Obviously I knew it was also slang for vagina, I'd just never made the connection.

I was going to suggest that if you'd like to discuss this further, we do it in PM's because people seem to be getting tired of it, but I'm having trouble replying to PM's for some reason.

gumbuoy said on the 2nd Dec, 2012

THIS. ALWAYS this. I've given up on trying to guess the gender of ppl here on FL since the Great Shazie Debacle, so I won't talk about what's happened here in the thread, but just in general, people who aren't in a particular group don't get to decide if a particular derogatory term based on that group has been re-appropriated. Ever.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

I'm a woman, in case anyone was confused.

In other words, the boobs in my username aren't the only boobs I have hurr hurr hurr

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

I think you're right, cunt is used more often by males and I guess they probably shouldn't be the ones to re-appropriate it. I'm going to keep saying it because it can be really funny in certain situations, but I'll feel bad about it from now on.

tbh I don't experience a reaction when I hear the word, I didn't even realise that females had a more particular disdain for it than men until I said it in front of a couple of girls at school in year 11 and they didn't like it. My mate told me shortly after "dude, don't say that in front of girls, they don't like that word."

Kinda related: I was watching TED the other night and I noticed that Mila Kunis' character says cunt and Mark Wahlberg's character has an unpleasant reaction to it and says 'don't say that word, you know I don't like it! It just cuts like a knife and it's so distasteful'.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

I'm a woman, in case anyone was confused.

Thanks for clearing that up, we have enough problems with this on FL already.

And don't worry, ass is where it's at for me (no one is allowed to interpret that as either a sexist pun or a pun where I have a dick in my ass).

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

Fair enough, not all women have a problem with it, Kaydee mentioned that she doesn't and I know at least one woman who doesn't, so opinions do differ.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

I'm afraid we'll need photographic evidence of said boobs before we proceed further.

I don't make the rules, I simply enforce them.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 3rd Dec, 2012

I don't make the rules, I simply enforce them.

Lol nice try, but I'm not related to Quicky and I don't like the Vaccines, so you won't be seeing any pictures of me on here.

Here, have this gif of Annie's boobs instead

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 4th Dec, 2012

Its a sad reality, because I really feel activism is important, it's just that those willing enough to properly get into activism are usually a little crazy.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Dec, 2012

I'm glad at how little attention has been paid to Good Charlotte in this thread.

grattan said on the 10th Feb, 2013

[URL="http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/1237487/no-wagga-gig-for-madden-brothers/?cs=12"]WAGGA will not get a visit from the chicken spruiking, tattoo-covered Madden Brothers next Friday after the pair pulled out of performing at The Capital Nightclub for unknown reasons.
See your ad here

Armada Hospitality, the owners of the Capital, is now "tens of thousands of dollars" out of pocket and "gutted" about the cancellation.

Director of operations Craig Shearer said the reason Joel and Benji Madden, the founders of rock band Good Charlotte, wouldn't be coming to Wagga or Albury anymore was a mystery.

"Outlaying tens of thousands of dollars for the bookings to fall through at the last minute is obviously not great," Mr Shearer said.

According to Mr Shearer, the gig had been booked and fully deposited with the Maddens' management in Los Angeles several months ago, but the Australian promoter had failed to secure the dates.

gumbuoy said on the 10th Feb, 2013

They can't make it because they'll be shooting an ad for Coles where they do a punk cover of "Prices Are Down."

crob said on the 10th Feb, 2013

poor wagga, they never have anything.... apart from the Juvie

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Racism and stereotypes are two entirely different things.

Stereotypes are funny...

Who doesn't laugh at a good asian driver jibe?
Or laughing at ovetanned Italians travelling to future music festival?
Middle eastern people and terrorism?
New Zealanders and sheep?
Bogan jokes?

You need to laugh at your own culture and others from time to time.

That being said fuck KFC, PETA and fuck those two talentless assclowns from Good charlotte.

If PETA want to get in my good books they need to kidnapp them both, lock them in a cage and make them both even fatter , slaughter them both and roll them in 7 secret herbs and spices and serve their white asses at the next test match to drunk Bogans.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Racism and stereotypes are two entirely different things.

Stereotypes are funny...
[...]
Middle eastern people and terrorism?

Yeah, no.

gumbuoy said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Stereotypes are funny...
Who doesn't laugh at a good asian driver jibe?

Me.

Definitely me.

Yep, me.

Bogans aren't a race.

crob said on the 11th Feb, 2013

A Petition to Get the Madden Brothers Out Of Australia

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Stereotypes are funny...

Who doesn't laugh at a good asian driver jibe?
Or laughing at ovetanned Italians travelling to future music festival?
Middle eastern people and terrorism?
New Zealanders and sheep?

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Is ROYALwithCHEESE, actually Nos?

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th Feb, 2013

No, he's not enough of a sociopath. He's just an idiot.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Yeah, but I'm an idiot and I don't say things like that.....

crob said on the 12th Feb, 2013

wise men live by wheaton's law

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 12th Feb, 2013

nos is back on his own account.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 12th Feb, 2013

I was thinking that's diversionary tactics.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Not going to read this thread but man I feel like a zinger burger now.

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Neither are New Zealanders. ;)

If it matters, I don't really care if people make sheep jokes.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 12th Feb, 2013

AJ is slamming Joel on Twitter at the moment. It's hilarious.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 12th Feb, 2013

TELL ME HOW TO SIGN UP!

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Feb, 2013

Gordy Forman ‏@gordyforman

@iamnotshouting @JoelMadden Pfft, you'll have those fuckholes on Soundwave next year no doubt.

lol

crob said on the 12th Feb, 2013

[URL="hxxp://musicfeeds.com.au/news/aj-maddah-punishes-joel-madden-in-twitter-rampage/"]it was pretty amazing....

grattan said on the 12th Feb, 2013

And then the inevitable backdown:

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting - Just spoke to @JoelMadden for the 1st time in 10 years. We've cleared the air
Joel Madden ‏@JoelMadden - I called AJ & we spoke. He's been upset for 10 years and I'm glad we talked about it and that we squashed it B/C I respect him & SOUNDWAVE

Oh, to have heard that phone call!

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th Feb, 2013

My mum died a year ago. You got any zingers for that one, you deadshit?

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 13th Feb, 2013

Da da da da da da da da da...

Napoleon Solo said on the 10th Mar, 2013

Thanks for the invite to the Madden's house party FL but I respectively decline.

There are 45 more comments. View them all