Tame Impala make NME pollhistory

Tame Impala have topped NME’s long-running Album of the Year poll for their second LP Lonerism.

In doing so the Perth outfit have become the first Australian band in the poll’s 38-year history to top the list, beating out favourites including Frank Ocean, Grimes and the Mercury Prize-winning Alt-J. Not to be outdone, sister band Pond (which features Tame Impala members Nick Allbrook and Jay Watson) also cracked the top 10, coming at #7 with their fourth album Beard Wives Denim, while the Kevin Parker-produced album by French artist Melodys Echo Chamber came in at #16.

This latest accolade caps off a big few weeks for the band that included an appearance on Later… with Jools Holland and their second J Award for Album of the Year.

Earlier this year, we predicted that Tame Impala were on the verge of something huge, following glowing reviews from the likes of Pitchfork and The Guardian, as well as high profile Twitter endorsements from Mark Ronson, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Grizzly Bear, Graham Coxon from Blur and Odd Future’s Tyler The Creator.

Beginning in 1974, the NME Album of the Year list is compiled by the music reviewers and independent journalists working for the magazine and NME.com. Past winners have included Nirvana, Oasis, Beck, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and last year’s winner PJ Harvey.

Tame Impala will embark on a tour in December including dates in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, as well as an appearance at the Meredith Music Festival in Victoria next week. Dates here.

NME’s 50 best albums of 2012

10 Jack White – Blunderbuss
9 Jake Bugg – Jake Bugg
8 The Cribs – In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull
7 Pond – Beard Wives Denim
6 The Maccabees – Given To The Wild
5 Alt-J – An Awesome Wave
4 Crystal Castles – (iii)
3 Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
2 Grimes – Visions
1 Tame Impala – Lonerism

Comments

Quicky

Quicky said on the 27th Nov, 2012

Congrats to Tame Impala. They really deserve it!

sweet_sweet_tunes

sweet_sweet_tunes said on the 27th Nov, 2012

and not a single mention of Skyharbor's album blinding white noise? or Deftones newy? haha fuck off NME

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

fukn cher dey didnt even put limp bizkit in da top 50 ey

sweet_sweet_tunes

sweet_sweet_tunes said on the 28th Nov, 2012

congrats to Tame Impala though, new album is great

garthinho

garthinho said on the 28th Nov, 2012

i saw them when they were in fetal form

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 28th Nov, 2012

was Kevin Parker stoned in the ultrasound?

deanoss

deanoss said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Pond and Impala, both in the top 10!
Love

VegetableLasagne

VegetableLasagne said on the 28th Nov, 2012

they love jake bugg more then sex over there, especially nme. expected him to be higher

John Henry Eden

John Henry Eden said on the 28th Nov, 2012

This is actually pretty big news. Knew the album was great didn't think it would beat out some of those artists though! A week until they are playing here!

factotum

factotum said on the 28th Nov, 2012

what do you think? post your comment...

factotum

factotum said on the 28th Nov, 2012

this is the kiss of death

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Well I hope album 3 is even better and it isnt a kiss of death as you say.
Lonerism is in my top 2 albums of the year. It resonates with me so much

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 28th Nov, 2012

I find them boring as fuck but I'm photographing tame impala next week and i'm quite excited because I think this will be the last time they'll be playing a venue the size of the forum.

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Nov, 2012

Not twee enough for greggers. Can't make any good status updates from their lyrics!

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 28th Nov, 2012

pretty much, what of it?

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 29th Nov, 2012

NME continue their Aussie love fest

As Tonedeaf just pointed out, 2012 marks the first time in 38 years of NME polls that an Aussie act has claimed the Album Of The Year gong.

Woo-fucking-hoo. It's about time! For me, the scene in Oz right now - spearheaded by Tame Impala – is easily the most exciting in the world. Hip hop aside, New York is still pretty dead - 'thriving' to the Tamla beat of a million shit Strokes rip-off bands. London creaked into action for the first time since 2002 in the past 12 months (step forward Palma Violets, Savages et al), but crucially the city still isn't quite there yet – those acts all need to deliver in 2013.

For me, it had to be Tame Impala what won it this year. 'Lonerism' is by far and away the best of the biggies (by which I mean Grimes, Alt-J, Jack White, The xx). But, like NME's Hamish MacBain (who explained as much in this week's mag) I voted it as my Number 1 tactically, purely to help an undeniably GREAT album do better than the rising tide of shite which always seems to infiltrate these lists.

My actual Number 1, which I knew was too small to stand a real chance of topping the poll, was Pond's 'Beards Wives Denim'. Tame are really fucking brilliant, but Pond are still better, basically. They're my favourite band of the year - they played the best gig I've seen all year (at SXSW), they've got the best frontman by miles (Nick Allbrook – Tame's bassist), probably the best guitarist (Jay Watson – Tame's keyboardist), the most interesting songs, and also the best riff of the year. In fact, were you to put a gun to my head and get me to order them one-to-five in terms of rock'n'roll greatness, I'd really rather enjoy it and probably bore you to death before you got the chance to pull the trigger.

But I digress. This blog isn't bemoaning the fact the band aren't as well-known as they perhaps should be. It's more about highlighting the brilliant scene emanating out of Australia at the minute. Tame come from Fremantle and the guys in that band – along with their excellent management label Spinning Top – are involved massively in much of the city's great music (indeed pre Tame most of them played in another brilliant but now defunct band called Mink Muscle Creek).

10 bands to look out for according to NME (basically every project that has branched out from Tame Impala)

1 Melody's Echo Chamber
2 Allbrook/Avery
3 San Cisco
4 The Love Junkies
5 Gum
6 Scott And Charlene's Wedding
7 The Growl
8 Felicity Groom
9 The Silents
10 Possum

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Nov, 2012

The Silents > Tame Impala

Yeah, I said it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Nov, 2012

The Silents are still together??

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 30th Nov, 2012

I dug Lonerism as album of the year until I heard Songs of the Third and Fifth...

I'll still be blunted and munted and diggin' to the max at MMF next weekend.

Mitchhh464

Mitchhh464 said on the 30th Nov, 2012

Im not obsessed with Lonerism, like I only have 2 copies of it on CD and the super limited deluxe edition of it...

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 5th Dec, 2012

I have been drinking, but I am quite enjoying this gig.