Mark Of Cain mulling overdrummer #14?

There may be a day when John Stanier – one of the hardest working drummers in rock – may not be able to tour with Adelaide’s The Mark Of Cain, says singer John Scott.

Speaking to FL this week, Scott said that a planned tour in March may be in doubt due to Stanier’s touring commitments with Tomahawk. The Mike Patton-helmed outfit are touring next year as part of Soundwave 2013, but if there’s not a gap in the schedule the tour may be postponed once more.

“First of all, we were trying to get something happening in September but it didn’t work out with John,” Scott told FL, “and then we were aiming for March next year because we knew that was doable, everybody could clear their plates, and then he was, ‘Ah, shit. Nup, now I’ve got this.’”

A former member of Helmet, Stanier joined The Mark of Cain in 2000, appearing on the Andy Gill-produced This Is This (2001). But Scott admits there may be a time when his other commitments – he also plays in New York’s Battles – and the fact he lives in the US could see them consider other touring options.

“John and I have discussed this many times,” Scott said. “He’s said, ‘There may come a time when I can’t support the band in shows’, which would be a great pity. And any time in the past when I’ve said, ‘Shit, I wanna tour and it’s not able to happen’, he’s made sure that he’s available. But it’s always been a friendship where he’s said, ‘You know, there may be a time when I can’t do it.’”

So would the band ever consider replacing him for a tour? “There are a couple of drummers he’s recommended to us that he thinks are great in Australia,” said Scott, “and so if I have to, I’ll train up a 14th drummer!”

The Mark of Cain’s first album in 10 years, Songs Of The Third and Fifth, is slated for release in November. It was recorded in Adelaide in 2008 following Stanier’s national Big Day Out tour with Battles.

The full interview with John Scott will be published on FL soon.

The Mark Of Cain – Heart Of Stone by Mess+Noise

Comments

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 26th Oct, 2012

What's going on with the singers hair in that photo?

I'd love to see one more tour with Stanier, but long term I'd rather see them get a new drummer so they can play more shows.

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Oct, 2012

No one should be surprised that a band from Adelaide spends a lot of their time mulling. Normally it isn't a drummer that is being mulled though.

GangesFan

GangesFan said on the 26th Oct, 2012

but they're coming out for golden plains?

OrdinaryInfidel

OrdinaryInfidel said on the 26th Oct, 2012

I hope I get to see TMOC with Stainer but I am just keen to witness the awesomeness in all it's live and ridiculously loud glory again. Great live band. Great band.

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 26th Oct, 2012

Yeah they probably do need a new drummer. What has it been 10 years since their last show? He is just so god damn good though.

batdan

batdan said on the 26th Oct, 2012

I'm sure whatever drummer TMOC will get they will be worthy of the task, John Scott is a perfectionist and wouldn't put up with anything less than perfect.

joebyrnes

joebyrnes said on the 28th Oct, 2012

for a drummer, danny leo from king of the north is one of the best going around at the moment. seriously fucking good.

been listening to the new tmoc album. it's old meets new and it's tough. great.

OrdinaryInfidel

OrdinaryInfidel said on the 28th Oct, 2012

been listening to the new tmoc album. it's old meets new and it's tough. great.

It sounds awesome but I can't listen to it in all it's glory until my pre-order arrives. It was hard to turn it off but the tinny sound from my laptop was never going to do it justice.

batdan

batdan said on the 28th Oct, 2012

I streamed it last night with a logitec 2.1 speaker system and it sounded great. Nice bass. Grey 11 is a killer track.