Image for Big Day Out's Ken West: "We got offered Blink 182"

Big Day Out's Ken West: "Wegot offered Blink 182"

Ever outspoken Big Day Out organiser Ken West has opened up once again, telling Scenestr magazine he had the chance to book Soundwave co-headliner Blink 182.

West said he turned them down, in part because of the chance their drummer Travis Barker – who survived a plane crash in 2008 – would not be able to fly to Australia.

“You know, we got offered the Blink[-182] thing, too, and I just thought that we already spent a year on that, and if Travis [Barker] gets on a plane, good on him, but we went right down that path and it didn’t happen. They wanted to use Big Day Out to get him on a plane, and that didn’t work, obviously. Who knows if he’s coming or not with this one? You never know these things … but they still wanted the maximum money, whether he came or not! And I said, ‘Well, you’ve got to get the full band to commit before you get the top dollars’.”

West also spoke about the festival’s recent ups and downs, including the sudden departure of co-founder Viv Lees last year (“I had to carry the weight of the whole show”), the deal he’s made with American festival promoters C3 Presents, how saturated the festival has become and how triple j’s blanket coverage doesn’t really benefit anyone.

“You don’t have any festivals in Australia that don’t have some sort of crossover, maybe because of triple j presenting too many. I wouldn’t want to offend them, but you know, you’re meant to be listening to somebody who’s recommending something, but they’re not really recommending anything any more because they’re recommending everything!”

West was frank in his appraisal of the Soundwave bill, saying the idea of booking 70-odd international bands “does his head in”. “The ten stages don’t make any sense for the same genre. You can do the same effect with half the bands, and people would have a lot more fun. There’s not much curating going on when you take everything. If I took everything, we’d have 200 acts. We wouldn’t be able to stay in business very long, nobody would have a good time and the audience would just be confused.”

He told Scenestr he’s really proud of this year’s bill, which features the likes of Animal Collective, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend and The Killers. He said a priority this year has been ensuring key bands play their full sets. “I’m proud of the acts on it,” he said. “I think the freshness with it is there, I know the dynamics of the day and the flow from the time sheets I’ve done … We want to make sure bands get to play their full sets this year. Animal Collective will play for an hour-and-a-half. Chili Peppers will play for an hour-and-a-half.”

Another change for next year is the introduction of the “Like A Boss” ticket for those who want something special. They’re not called VIP tickets for a reason, West said. “People who pay more aren’t VIPs, they’re just people who pay more.”

Big Day Out 2013 line-up
Red Hot Chili Peppers (Exclusive Australian Shows)
The Killers
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Vampire Weekend
Band Of Horses
The Bloody Beetroots (Live)
Kaskade
Nina Las Vegas
Sampology (AV/DJ Show)

Social

Comments

HardcoreMusic

HardcoreMusic said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Pfft, Soundwave poops on this lineup...

shazie said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Wow that's pretty cool, I wonder what the set lengths would be for most of the bands. Maybe they'll get sets starting at 50 mins? Then Again I guess it'll depend on the stage setup to determine how much time they will get.

Is it safe to assume Animal Collective will probably be on at the same time as RCHP?

Get back to your book.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Can't people accept both lineups are great in terms of what they offer to people with different tastes? I'm over the moon that I'm going to both festivals.

shazie said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Oflick said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Amount of Slayer at BDO and Soundwave:

Big Day Out: 0
Soundwave: 1

Soundwave wins on this basis.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

My guesses are:

1 hr 30 minutes for Band Of Horses, The Killers, Bloody Beetroots, Kaskade
1 hr 15 minutes for Vampire Weekend, Yeah Yeah Yeahs,
1 hr for Crystal Castles, Foals, Sleigh Bells, Against Me, Childish Gambino, Alabama Shakes, Gary Clark Jr, Delta Spirit, B.O.B.
50 minutes for Death Grips + Every Time I Die and no more than 45 minutes for Off!

shazie said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Amount of Slayer at BDO and Soundwave after they cancel Sydney again:

Big Day Out: 0
Soundwave: 0

They're both losers on this basis.

FTFY

jakem896

jakem896 said on the 13th Oct, 2012

actually curious to know how close they are to selling out. i bought tickets the day they were released because presale tickets sold out really quick.
oh and i hope this means the killers get a 1hr 30 minute set.

nickrah

nickrah said on the 13th Oct, 2012

so if animal collective are playing the same time as rhcp, that is pretty much the perfect reason to not see rhcp right?

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

More than a valid reason my friend.

bigval

bigval said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Extended sets is code for less bands on the bill.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Looking forward to extended time for tearing shit up in the Foals, Death Grips and OFF! mosh pits.

tyler07 said on the 13th Oct, 2012

If RHCP and AC are clashing, then looks like I may see the Chili's afterall.

Patrick Holmes

Patrick Holmes said on the 13th Oct, 2012

makes me want to go even more. i guess that's an obvious assumption to make, but the idea of a decent set from foals is excellent. and if, as it sounds, yyy's play prior to the killers, i hope that band of horses and vampire weekend aren't clashing on green at the time as it seems animal collective will be the closers. keen for timetable!

batdan

batdan said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Amount of Slayer at BDO and Soundwave:

Big Day Out: 0
Soundwave: 1

Soundwave wins on this basis.

I like you.

shazie said on the 13th Oct, 2012

This doesn't make any sense. Of course they have less bands on the bill, there's no hidden agenda about that. Why does leas bands on a lineup inheritently equal less quality of a lineup? It seems that is what you are implying. Why is it a bad thing if they want bands to have longer sets?

Every post I see from you, big val, has been a pile of retardation.

yeoman

yeoman said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Dude should keep away from the keyboard and salvage the last of his festival circling the drain

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

I'm think Band Of Horses will close the Green after RHCP finish or BOH will start during the Chili Peppers and finish sometime after them. Animal Collective aren't closing the Green / Converse stages from what I understand and I suspect they will start during the Killers and run through part of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Like with Primal Scream starting at the end of Rammstein finishing part way through Tool's set in 2011. Either way you're getting pretty good choice of bands in my opinion.

Also Vampire Weekend are definitely main stage. They're huge now and they won't clash with Band Of Horses.

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Amount of Slayer at BDO and Soundwave:

Big Day Out: 0
Soundwave: 1

Soundwave wins on this basis.

On a similiar them; the festival with john stainer playing always win

btw imo they are both great line ups
they both sell out
why is there such competition
*shrugs*

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 14th Oct, 2012

why is there such competition
*shrugs*

and why does uncle ken insist on feeding the soundwave trolls.

OrdinaryInfidel

OrdinaryInfidel said on the 14th Oct, 2012

completely agree regarding john stainer.

i just ignore ken west and i'm a happier man because of it

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 14th Oct, 2012

If you dare to bump into me during Foals Quicky, I will throw you like a javelin a long way! Foals are not a mosh band.

shazie said on the 14th Oct, 2012

That didn't stop annoying kids during their enmore show...

Manning bar had a really great crowd, everyone was jumping but wasn't pushing each other around.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 14th Oct, 2012

I won't be anywhere near you don't worry.

Their Enmore show was fantastic still but man so many dick heads in the crowd. I had one of the worst crowd experiences ever that night.

crob said on the 14th Oct, 2012

This baffles me... I rather see six full sets instead twelve 30 minute sets....

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 14th Oct, 2012

i wonder if Kanye told BDO that he would be doing 2hr sets. that might've sold a few extra tickets last year if they did.

also very interesting what he said about triple j. i agree that their coverage is now broader than ever before but i don't see that as a bad thing. i think the australian music scene needs to start embracing a broader range of music and move away from the "that rnb shits for fags brah"

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 15th Oct, 2012

So youre more into the whole circle of death thing then?

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 15th Oct, 2012

....I hope this guy realises hes sounding more and more like a politician every time he retrospectively defends past decisions hes made, while trying to cast negativities on his rivals success?

Mr_V1tr1oL

Mr_V1tr1oL said on the 15th Oct, 2012

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 15th Oct, 2012

i'm heading to both bdo and soundwave but am much more excited about the sw line-up.

at the bdo my must sees are vampire weekend, band of horses, alabama shakes and rhcp. i don't think i'll have much of an issue seeing all 4 of these bands.

sw has about 15 bands i really want to see, i am dreading the planning that's going to be involved in that.

Patrick Holmes

Patrick Holmes said on the 15th Oct, 2012

i'm think band of horses will close the green after rhcp finish or boh will start during the chili peppers and finish sometime after them. animal collective aren't closing the green / converse stages from what i understand and i suspect they will start during the killers and run through part of the red hot chili peppers. like with primal scream starting at the end of rammstein finishing part way through tool's set in 2011. either way you're getting pretty good choice of bands in my opinion.

also vampire weekend are definitely main stage. they're huge now and they won't clash with band of horses.

i would be pretty happy with that still. not that interested in rhcp, and if i were to see them it would just be for novelty.
so for animal collective and band of horses to play during would be fine by me. see the killers, head over for the end of ac and boh.

so mainstage looks like it could be:
rhcp
killers
yyy's
vampire weekend

green/converse:
band of horses
animal collective

this just leaves foals and gambino as my only potentiall clashes. with any of the above if either were to be prior to animal collective. likely to be foals :(

berlinchair101 said on the 15th Oct, 2012

It'll be a shame if Yannis breaks his leg and has to be shot.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I have this horrible feeling Against Me! will clash with YYYs.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Braveheart81 said on the 15th Oct, 2012

He is the lead Foal. Hence the joke about breaking a leg and getting shot.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 15th Oct, 2012

It sounds like a Swedish person saying anus

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Oct, 2012

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 15th Oct, 2012

how's this guy, poop who are you the old geezer from billy maddison? I also doubt you know anything about real hardcore 'hardcore music', i think i've had a e war with you on soundwave wall until you blocked me, you are a real downright tit.

shazie said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I think we're all thankful for that

grattan said on the 15th Oct, 2012

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I think the problem he is raising is more so about the fact that if you're a young indie band that's garnering a decent following, triple j will jump on your bandwagon, seemingly regardless of the quality of the music.

crob said on the 15th Oct, 2012

that seems Awkwardly mature for AJ....

Quicky

Quicky said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Triple J are hyping way too many bands. I've found that with San Cisco for example. I find their music annoying as fuck and I also think Matt Corby isn't as great as everyone makes him out to be. But at least they aren't 104.1 or 96.9. Nova has ruined alot of the music I've picked up on from Triple J.

In terms of gigs, I'm pretty much broke now and I have no money for new clothes and games :( It really sucks that the market is becoming so saturated.

shazie said on the 15th Oct, 2012

iPod + digging around on the Internet + FL recommendations = no need for radio for me

Jose Cuervo said on the 15th Oct, 2012

You are basically my tastemaker atm.....80% of my new suggestions come from you

god speed young Gamblor

Quicky

Quicky said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I inherited a huge sum of money today and it looks like I'm coming to Harvest for Sigur Ros, Beck and Grizzly Bear. Pretty excited :)

Oflick said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Inherited or were given it as a gift?

Quicky

Quicky said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Just a gift actually. I wanted to sound classy for once.

Jose Cuervo said on the 15th Oct, 2012

He robbed santos' drug stash....

Quicky

Quicky said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Fact: I robbed yours

CHECK AGAIN...

tyler07 said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Hand me the drugs and nobody* gets hurt, Quicky...

*maybe Jose, but can't win them all...

battles

battles said on the 16th Oct, 2012

sounds like ken west has a serious inferiority complex.. every second interview he takes the opportunity to criticise aj maddah.

Patrick Holmes

Patrick Holmes said on the 16th Oct, 2012

have we seen aj? any chance there is a festival promoter secret, and it's viv lees... or ken west and he's trying to throw people off?
i mean, can you imagen?!?!

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 17th Oct, 2012

Or maybe, that's just what they want us to think that we think that we think we might think we think...

Catherine Parrish

Catherine Parrish said on the 20th Oct, 2012

%u201cpeople who pay more aren%u2019t vips, they%u2019re just people who pay more.%u201d best thing he's ever said