Image for Intimate Green Day Australian tour in “February or March”

Intimate Green Day Australiantour in “February orMarch”

Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong has revealed that the band is planning an Australian visit in “February or March” next year and that they’re keen to play a few smaller, intimate shows on the tour.

The band’s recent Australian tours have all seen the band filling arenas and stadiums but according to an interview with the Herald Sun Armstrong says the band wants to get closer to their fans on their next tour. “We’d like to do some clubs as well as playing in the bigger places,” Armstrong says. “That’s an experience we haven’t had in Australia since the first time we have been there, playing the 300 to 500 seaters. Australian crowds go off – so being in that small a room would be a lot of fun.”

According to the fansite Green Day Authority the band’s first Australian tour was in February 1996 when the trio played two night stands at Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion and Melbourne’s Festival Hall plus shows at similarly large venues in Brisbane and Adelaide. Green Day’s 1998 visit did see them playing a three night stand at the Roundhouse in Sydney (capacity 1500) and a date in Canberra, but certainly nothing as small as a venue under 500 capacity.

The dates for Green Day’s Uno! Dos! Tres! tour schedule currently have a large gap between a gig in Las Vegas on February 8 and a stadium show in London in early June.

Social

Comments

conditionals

conditionals said on the 19th Sep, 2012

the enmore would be amazing. hordern... it's as bad as any arena.

oaksy

oaksy said on the 19th Sep, 2012

dookie at the corner please

Oflick said on the 19th Sep, 2012

I'm sure you'll find plenty of it there.

pac man

pac man said on the 19th Sep, 2012

saw them at the roundhouse syd in 99. my alltime fave gig.

benjiman1981

benjiman1981 said on the 19th Sep, 2012

Intimate. So I'm guessing Festival Hall?

Piko

Piko said on the 19th Sep, 2012

Makes me think of something like The Metro in Sydney as an option

Dirk Chanley

Dirk Chanley said on the 19th Sep, 2012

yeah! it would be awesome to hear some tunes off 1,039/smoothed out slappy hours and some album tracks off dookie at the corner!

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Sep, 2012

I hope they crack out some tunes from 21st Century Breakdown.

bigval

bigval said on the 20th Sep, 2012

I saw Green Day on their first tour in '96 at Thebarton Theatre (holds about 2,000-2,500) with a then unkown 3 piece band with a standup drummer in support called The Living End. It was an awesome gig. Tickets sold out in about 45 minutes. Would've loved to have seen them back in their indie days though.

Forming a band

Forming a band said on the 21st Sep, 2012

this band has probably had a bigger impact on my life than any other band... man, i feel so empty when i listen to what they put out now.. they've always been a power pop band, but they used to have hooks and "life"... i usually have no problem with a polished sound and production, but this is just uber, uber sterile, soulless, lifeless, plastic, boring music. the antithesis of what i liked about them to begin with. i'll leave it to the next comment to add the punchline to this joke,

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Sep, 2012

^ Wow. A fanboy who is able to make a critical assessment of his favourite band's music. How novel and refreshing!

gumbuoy said on the 21st Sep, 2012

New album out today, so I went looking for it on Rdio. Couldn't find it, but they do have their version of the Simpsons theme song from the movie, so I think I came out ahead on that deal.

gumbuoy said on the 21st Sep, 2012

Surely then we can upgrade him from fanboy to fan? I thought the definition of fanboy mean 100% dedication to every single note the band ever released, and a refusal to acknowledge any other viewpoint, no matter how legitimate.

bigval

bigval said on the 21st Sep, 2012

I had been a diehard GD fan since '94 but started losing a bit of interest in them with Warning and whilst American Idiot & 21st Century Breakdown have their moments they're now a 'safer' stadium rock band. Insomniac was far & away their best album for mine and that legendary concert for MTV in Chicago in '94 I think is still the best live show I've ever seen from a band. I've only heard about 30 seconds of Uno and what I heard sounded appalling and going by some reviews the GD I once knew seem all but gone.

In saying that I still pre-ordered Uno with the slipcase box for Dos & Tre through JB because I've got everything they've ever done anyway.

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Sep, 2012

gumbuoy said on the 21st Sep, 2012

well, i wasnt gonna say anything, but yeah.

then again, i never engage in arguments over sfk online.

Forming a band

Forming a band said on the 21st Sep, 2012

i had been a diehard gd fan since '94 but started losing a bit of interest in them with warning and whilst american idiot & 21st century breakdown have their moments they're now a 'safer' stadium rock band. insomniac was far & away their best album for mine and that legendary concert for mtv in chicago in '94 i think is still the best live show i've ever seen from a band. i've only heard about 30 seconds of uno and what i heard sounded appalling and going by some reviews the gd i once knew seem all but gone.

in saying that i still pre-ordered uno with the slipcase box for dos & tre through jb because i've got everything they've ever done anyway.

i hear ya. i absolutely agree... i have no issue with fame and famous people, i can even admit i'd love to be in a famous band! but, i really wish they had been more cynical about braking into the mainstream again (american idiot).. i feel that they would be sited by a lot more bands as a main influence if they had said "fuck it, we're done with you" to hollywood. instead, people are embarrassed.. well, most of us.. hopefully i'll enjoy one of the trio... i doubt it, though. they seem totally brainwashed and disconnected from reality now. there's no return "to" 86, don't even try!!!

batdan

batdan said on the 23rd Sep, 2012

well, i wasnt gonna say anything, but yeah.

then again, i never engage in arguments over sfk online.

You have me nearly getting back into SFK as much as I did back in the day. Keep it up!