Image for First tour in five years for Something For Kate

First tour in five years forSomething For Kate

Underestimate the fervency of Something For Kate’s fanbase at your peril. Despite a lengthy absence, album preview shows at The Annandale in Sydney and The Northcote Social Club in Melbourne last week sold out within minutes, and a just announced five-date national tour is expected to do the same.

Their first in five years, the tour kicks off at Melbourne’s The Corner Hotel on October 6, with dates in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. The tour marks the release of new album Leave Your Soul To Science, which was recorded in Dallas, Texas, with producer/engineer/mixer John Congleton, who’s worked on records by the like of Explosions In The Sky, St. Vincent, Okkervil River and Modest Mouse.

“We spend months together writing these pieces of music, sometimes fiercely arguing, sometimes intently discussing, sometimes hating, sometimes loving but mostly procrastinating,” drummer Clint Hyndman wrote in a recording blog published on Something For Kate’s website.

The album is the follow-up to 2006’s Desert Lights, which FL described as an evolving step forward, and a Paul Dempsey solo album, Everything Is True, which entered #5 on the national ARIA Albums chart in 2009 and went on to surpass gold sales.

Supports from The Gin Club’s Ben Salter in solo mode.

Something For Kate national tour
Saturday 6th October – The Corner, Melbourne
Friday 12th October – The Metro, Sydney
Saturday 13th October – The Zoo, Brisbane
Friday 26th October – The Gov, Adelaide
Saturday 27th October – Fly By Night, Fremantle

Tickets on sale 9am this Friday 31st August

Comments

gumbuoy said on the 27th Aug, 2012

That's a really short tour, for them. Last few times they at least did double-headers at the Zoo. Hell, Dempsey's last "solo" tour sold out the Hi-Fi.

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Aug, 2012

There's enough room to add other dates, though. Let's see how well it sells first.

gumbuoy said on the 28th Aug, 2012

Problem is, if they add a Brisbane show to Sunday 14th, I've already got Gomez that night :)

grattan said on the 28th Aug, 2012

Sure, but Gomez will be back again in a fortnight or so anyway.

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 28th Aug, 2012

Definitely a short tour, expect a longer tour next year.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 28th Aug, 2012

Night after Tortoise. Works for me.

gumbuoy said on the 29th Aug, 2012

Tracklisting for the album is out.

Details on the different editions will be released on Friday.

Hoping the most expensive one, whatever it is, isn't too steep.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Aug, 2012

I've heard 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 and 11. They're really, really good.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 29th Aug, 2012

And the supplementary is?

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 29th Aug, 2012

Pls come back to Brisbane after 21st of Oct.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 29th Aug, 2012

Ditto

Pretty stoked about Ben Salter supporting too. He is the best.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 30th Aug, 2012

Gah. It's sold-out seemingly. FUCK.

gumbuoy said on the 30th Aug, 2012

already? thats quick. although the zoo is a pretty small venue.

if they were waiting to see how it sold to decide whether or not to add more dates, you should be in luck.

gumbuoy said on the 30th Aug, 2012

Corner Hotel sold out, 2nd show announced and on sale now. http://www.facebook.com/sfkband/posts/1581021465370487

kaydee

kaydee said on the 30th Aug, 2012

Where are you? Looks like I might have spare ticket for Sydney due to miscommunication about who was buying the tickets :rolleyes:

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 30th Aug, 2012

Or try to review. If this Brand-New Fasterlouder is actually any good, that might be vaguely attractive.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 30th Aug, 2012

Brisbane. Logistics-wise it'd be iffy because I also already have a ticket for Tortoise I'm not willing to ditch.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 31st Aug, 2012

Looks like 2nd show for Brisbane now anyway.

Ah The Zoo. I miss that venue so much.

gumbuoy said on the 31st Aug, 2012

Zoo show sold out, 2nd show for Sunday 14th announced. tickets from the zoo website www.thezoo.com.au

gumbuoy said on the 31st Aug, 2012

album pack details are out, special edition is $50, which isn't too bad, I guess :)

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Aug, 2012

I think that's a bit pricey. 40, maybe.

Braveheart81 said on the 31st Aug, 2012

I look forward to seeing hipstergumbuoy with his tote bag.

gumbuoy said on the 31st Aug, 2012

I'm definitely not the best judge, but I'm okay with $50. Moar SFK covers! Plus it's signed, and the lyrics book will be nice.

At least it's not a tshirt, which I would inevitably buy, and would never fit me.

TOTES! Totebags in our house inevitably get used as resuable grocery bags, will see how long it takes for that to happen to this one.

Stefan Beck said on the 31st Aug, 2012

Speaking of T-Shirts, Gumbuoy do you want a SFK shirt I've got kicking around? It's from the Desert Lights tour and I've never worn it.

gumbuoy said on the 31st Aug, 2012

how big are you? I'm normally between a mens 2XL-3XL. If it's in that area, gladly take it off your hands...

Stefan Beck said on the 31st Aug, 2012

As is the way of the world now that I actually WANT to find the shirt I can't but I'd guess it was an XL or 2XL.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 31st Aug, 2012

Speaking of XLs. Wally Meanie is selling a stack of his old band t-shirts at Yah Yahs, in Melbs on Saturday from noon. If you know Wally, they're XL and above. Some worn, occasionally worn and unworn. I'm gonna try and get there, apparently he has 100's. Will be interesting even for just a look.

gumbuoy said on the 12th Sep, 2012

Caught their Big Sound set last night, new songs are amazing.

They played Eureka, Survival Expert, Miracle Cure, Star Crossed Citizens, Kids Will get The Money, and one other one that I didn't get the title of.

Star Crossed Citizens feels like it could be an early favourite for song of the year.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 13th Sep, 2012

I don't like Big Sound. There, I said it.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 13th Sep, 2012

I've gone a few times to catch acts at Big Sound now, and usually the atmosphere has been pretty lame/dead, and punters disinterested at best. Valley Fiesta almost comes off as a more enjoyable experience by comparison.

Maybe I just picked the wrong night/wrong acts.

(Maybe I'm old and cranky)

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Sep, 2012

(Maybe I'm old and cranky)

Only maybe?

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 13th Sep, 2012

Caught their Big Sound set last night, new songs are amazing.

More importantly:

How do they compare against the old stuff? I do like Survival Expert quite a lot.

gumbuoy said on the 13th Sep, 2012

I'd say it's closest in style to Desert Lights. Bursts of guitar, Paul shouting a lot of vocals. But they've also brought back in the backing keys/vocals/guitar player to flesh out the sound a bit. I think you'll really like it.

Paul's guitar playing on Survival Expert is amazing when you see it live.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 13th Sep, 2012

Nah, I got stuck at work. I wouldn't have gotten there til about 3 hours after it started. Figured most of the good stuff would have gone by then. Spewing.

neoanderson004

neoanderson004 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

its a long time. it would be beneficial for you and the audience too if you tour continuously.

Braveheart81 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Another one of our Indian friends.

I look forward to reading about the benefits of ordering food online in the coming weeks.

gumbuoy said on the 4th Oct, 2012

JINX! That's what I said to Paul last time I interviewed him.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Great show on Saturday night, and by all reports the Sunday night show was just as good. Ian Haug from Powderfinger guested on a couple of tracks, and did pretty much nothing :)

Setlist (Saturday)
Eureka
This Economy
Say Something
Survival Expert
Jerry Stand Up
Star-Crossed Citizens
The Fireball At The End Of The World
Anchorman
Deja Vu (including big fuck off rock ending)
Private Rain
Down The Garden Path
Deep Sea Divers (Paul solo)
Stop (Sam Brown cover, Paul solo)
The Kids Will Get The Money
Back To Normal
Cigarettes and Suitcases
Miracle Cure
Back To You
Pinstripe

Ship Of Fools (w/ Ian Haug)
Electricity (w/ Ian Haug)
Begin

They played every song from the new album bar one, Sooner Or Later You're Gonna Have To Do Something About Me.

That's the right way to do an album launch tour.

MorningAfterboy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Needs more Hallways, but what a set!

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I guess when you commit to playing nearly the entire album, something's gotta give. I was overjoyed to get Down The Garden Path. If that becomes their Desert Lights staple for years to come, I am absolutely fine with that.

Probably the first time since it came out that I've seen a SFK gig where they didnt play Monsters.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I know! No Captain, Monsters, Three Dimensions, Hallways, Whatever You Want. It was a little unsettling :)

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 15th Oct, 2012

last time i saw them was with death cab nearly ten years ago, they bored me a bit and wound up leaving after a few songs or maybe it was the bogan esque crowd who showed no interest to dcfc, i'm sure that all changed after the oc

kaydee

kaydee said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Sydney set on Friday night was identical I think (minus the Haug). I did walk out wishing that they'd played Monsters.
I've gotten used to seeing Paul Dempsey in solo mode, I kept expecting him to break into Ramona.

Great gig. And Ben Salter was fabulous as always.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

What I'm assuming is going to happen is they'll tour again in the first half of next year, and the tour will be based on a single from the album. So since the focus won't necessarily be on the album, they won't play as much from it, and will have more room for other singles.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 15th Oct, 2012

And I'd imagine their Homebake set will be less new album and more singles.

gumbuoy said on the 5th Dec, 2012

Speaking of more singles, they just announced that they'll be releasing Miracle Cure as a single on 12 December, with 3 b-sides. Yay for b-sides, they always do really good ones, IMHO. :)

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 13th Jan, 2013

SOMETHING FOR KATE TO ANNOUNCE EXTENSIVE TOUR
If you're a new mailing list subscriber, welcome! You may already know this but if not, we are very excited to let you know that in the coming weeks, Something for Kate will be announcing an extensive Australian Tour. And as usual, we endeavour to give you, our newsletter subscribers, all the information you'll need to access pre-sale tickets before they go on sale to the general public. This was very helpful on the last tour with various shows selling out during the pre-sale before they got to go on general sale. Stay tuned to somethingforkate.com, the SFKfacebook and twitter for further news on this.

PAUL DEMPSEY TO PLAY FIRST SOLO SHOW IN OVER A YEAR
We are also very excited to announce that Something for Kate frontman, Paul Dempsey will play his first solo acoustic show in over a year at the upcoming Australian Open Tennis Grandslam in Melbourne, Australia. Paul plays The Heineken Stage on the Grandslam Oval at 6pm this Tuesday 15th January. See HERE for all details and ticketing information!

Bam