• 1900
Image for Big Day Out's Gary Clark Jr announces showcase tour

Big Day Out's Gary Clark Jrannounces showcase tour

To introduce himself to Australian fans before next year’s Big Day Out tour, Texan blues master Gary Clark Jr has announced a pair of showcase shows in September.

Although his debut album isn’t due out until October, Clark already has a huge reputation in the blues scene. In February this year he performed alongside legends including B.B. King, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy at the White House’s ‘Red, White and Blues’ special playing Catfish Blues and In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down), as well as contributing to performances of Let the Good Times Roll, Beat Up Old Guitar, Five Long Years and Sweet Home Chicago.

Gary Clark Jr showcase tour:

Thursday 27 September – The Tote, Melbourne
Friday 28 September – Annandale Hotel, Sydney

Tickets: $27.50

Comments

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Aug, 2012

Big Day Out-bound Texan blues blaster Gary Clark Jr has announced a couple of showcase shows in September before he comes back to the country in January for the festival.
With only an EP to his name - a debut album will be out through Warner in October - Clark is already making waves, and joined a band featuring Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck and BB King to perform for President Obama at the White House earlier this year.
The guitarist has also featured at most of the major festivals around the world and will release a tour edition of his EP Bright Lights Friday 7 September.
To introduce himself to Australian fans, he'll be playing in Melbourne and Sydney. Dates below.

27 September, 2012 The Tote

28 September, 2012 Annandale Hotel

EDIT: Can a Mod please take out the 'E' I put in Clark for whatever reason?

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Aug, 2012

Oh, SICK. I'm in.

EDIT: Ticket #1! First person to buy tickets. Awesome.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rhetty!

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Aug, 2012

I hope it doesn't sell out too soon.

mangounit101

mangounit101 said on the 21st Aug, 2012

brilliant! i'll state the obvious and say; gary clark jr at the annandale > gary clark jr at big day out

Jose Cuervo said on the 21st Aug, 2012

Day before my bday....will hopefully be there to party on

tissue

tissue said on the 21st Aug, 2012

super keen! grabbed two tickets to the tote just before noon. now to convince a friend they must like his music. won't be too hard.

Alfonzo

Alfonzo said on the 21st Aug, 2012

As someone who lives in Austin and has seen this guy play here many times ... do not miss these shows. This city loves him, he has gone from playing little blues dive bars years ago, to playing a show at 2500 capacity Stubb's in a few months. And well deserved, the guy can play.

Jose Cuervo said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

Fuck it ticket purchased, lets get the party started early

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 23rd Aug, 2012

Linked my friend a song and managed to get her to agree to attend the Tote show with me. Just bought tickets then :)

ThatDude123 said on the 23rd Aug, 2012

Because getting king hit at the 'dale is the best birthday gift you'll ever get.

Hopefully this won't do a Grimes and sell out before I get paid in a few hours.

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Aug, 2012

I think you'll be safe. I give it a week to sell out.

tissue

tissue said on the 24th Aug, 2012

my tickets just arrived for this. obama approves.

grattan said on the 13th Sep, 2012

Tracklist for the his debut album - Blak and Blu - due out October 22nd.

Blak and Blu Tracklist:
01. Ain%u2019t Messin %u2018Round
02. When My Train Pulls In
03. Blak and Blu
04. Bright Lights
05. Travis County
06. The Life
07. Glitter Ain%u2019t Gold (Jumpin%u2019 For Nothin%u2019)
08. Numb
09. Please Come Home
10. Things Are Changin%u2019
11. Third Stone From The Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say
12. You Saved Me
13. Next Door Neighbor Blues

tissue

tissue said on the 27th Sep, 2012

Well that was fun - just met the man in Melbourne!

For people at The Tote... did anyone see a guy in a greyish t-shirt jump on stage after the show and steal a microphone (bass player's amp mic)? I watched it happen but I wasn't sure what was going on at the time.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 27th Sep, 2012

The Tote show last night was fantastic, I wasn't expecting him to have such a long set. I had a really good spot down near the front towards the left for Jackson Firebird and Gary's first couple of songs, but then I had to keep going in and out of the area as my friend kept fainting. But we still had an alright view from the back.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Sep, 2012

I'm going!

I recommend people check out the support band Doc Holiday Takes The Shotgun. One of my favourite Sydney bands and a whole bunch of fun live.

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Sep, 2012

I'll be there. Aren't we doing the Townie after? Should join us, Will.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Sep, 2012

Unlikely. I'll probably come home and watch the Australia vs India T20 cricket.

Then I've got cricket training at 9:30am tomorrow morning.

Then I have the AFL grand final to watch (and get drunk) and then Regurgitator in the evening followed by watching the Wallabies to watch at 1am.

It's a big weekend!

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Sep, 2012

Haha, deary me.

This one's for you, man.