Soundwave 2013 ticket priceupdate

CHECK OUT THE SECOND SOUNDWAVE LINEUP HERE.

Soundwave 2013 tickets will set you back $195.85, or $198.20 if you live in Perth, including booking and postage fees. Tickets for the festival earlier this year were $155 plus booking fees and postage.

Earlier this month festival’s boss AJ Maddah had announced that the tickets would be “more expensive… not sure [how much more] as I can’t remember what tickets were last year. I think they were $140 last year… Next year will be $160 + GST + less tix agency rip offs than this year”. He suggested that the tickets would be then “predicted that Soundwave 2013 tickets would be roughly $187 including booking fees. Maddah now says that the the $187 figure covered all fees and that Soundwave “absorbed transaction fees but apparently not credit card fees and processing or some bullshit. Don’t talk to me about booking fees. Sneaky bastards :(”

The ticket prices also include a transport levy of “around $2.20” if you’re heading to the festival in Perth or Sydney which covers your public transport to and from the event.

Pre-sale tickets will go on sale on Wednesday 15th August and if there are any tickets left after the presale, they will go on sale a week after that. There’ll be a four ticket max for presale which will be staggered over several days for punters in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. The Adelaide and Perth presales will be same day. There’ll be a two ticket max for the general on sale.

Maddah has said that the impressive lineup is “a one off for Soundwave’s ten year anniversary”, that “there is no precedent for this kind of line-up” and that “next year will return to normal.” According to his comments on Twitter the final Soundwave lineup including the huge drawcards Metallica, Linkin Park and Blink-182 “will cost approx $36M net of GST”. For what it’s worth, Crikey reported last year that “according to [an] insider” the Splendour 2011 lineup would have cost about $15-16 million and that the six shows on the Big Day Out tour would costs about $25 million.

Despite the hefty ticket price Maddah has declared that he will be amazed if the East Coast shows do not sell out instantly and plans to announce the second round of the lineup before tickets go on sale to the general public.

There are no VIP tickets available for the festivals as Maddah says: “I hate that shit. Everyone buying a ticket to SW deserve equal respect and facilities. As far as I am concerned, everyone attending SW deserves a VIP experience.”

Comments

krudboy

krudboy said on the 13th Aug, 2012

the sledging between ken west and aj continues.
still, its the acts the ken west rejects*, that makes ken west the best.
*disclaimer, soundwave has better bands.

Guns Razors Knives

Guns Razors Knives said on the 13th Aug, 2012

hits the pocket hard, but well worth it in my opinion

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

expensive for a single day festival. i guess if i rationalise all the acts i'd pay for i'd come out ahead, but still...

ZePpLiNs666

ZePpLiNs666 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Okay, lets say the ticket price will be about $200. Now, AJ said that the booking fees for all the acts was around $36M GST. Without GST, they would need to sell around 180000 tickets just to break even, or 36000 per venue. Feel free to criticise my maths skills.
For the lineup announced so far, I think it is worth the extra money.

garnet

garnet said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Can we pay half price and have restricted access to the main stages?

Oflick said on the 13th Aug, 2012

^I just thought I misread "Grattan" when I saw your post.

By telling you all this, I may have contributed to an additional Soundwave price rise.

Oflick said on the 13th Aug, 2012

For the lineup announced so far, I think it is worth the extra money.

Does Soundwave make any money off of food sales and related stalls or are ticket sales their only source of income?

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

yeah, i'd happily pay $50 less to not see metallica, blink 182, linkin park or the offspring

ZePpLiNs666

ZePpLiNs666 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I'd probably guess not the food sales, as they would go to the stall owners. However, I think they would make some from drink tokens, stall hire, parking, and merchandise.

grattan said on the 13th Aug, 2012

From AJ - What's "worth it" to you and to someone else will be different. massive bands and productions don't come cheap.

garnet

garnet said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I'm guessing they make a killer on alcohol sales.

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Vendors pay rent to be at a festival whether they are food or market stalls.

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 13th Aug, 2012

200 bucks, no problem - happy to fork it over.

Understandably, it is pretty high for many.

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

It will be interesting to see if this really does sell out as quickly as AJ is expecting.

Whilst there is obviously a huge amount of excitement for the lineup, the ticket price is very high. It will certainly be testing the spending limit of plenty of punters, particularly the young ones.

Selling out every venue is a hell of a lot of tickets to shift.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 13th Aug, 2012

actually think that this is a pretty reasonable price considering you get to see three bands who would usually charge $150 for a headline show plus potentially another half a dozen who could charge between $90 and $100. maybe i find it easier to say this because i have no interest in attending but if the equivalents in my favourite genres did a festival like this i would pay $200 albeit begrudgingly.

Stefan Beck said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Who aside from Metallica would try that?

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 13th Aug, 2012

i paid over $140 for Linkin Park in 2010 (don't judge me) and from memory they sold over 30 000 tickets in Sydney alone. i wouldn't be surprised if a Blink show was similar with all the comeback hype and Travis on stage selling points.

MorningAfterboy said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Surely there have to be quite a lot of clashes between the major acts as well as them playing 1 hour or similar sets compared to getting a lot longer at a solo show.

You can still only watch so many bands at a single day festival and the likelihood is that most of the major names will be playing late in the day/evening.

tyler07 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I'm guessing that The Offspring will clash with Metallica.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I'm guessing The Offspring will clash with not being the worst.

Pommy1997

Pommy1997 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

sounds damned expensive but i guess its alot cheaper than seeing them separately would cost alot more so if i can pull the money together sure im up for going to it

crob said on the 13th Aug, 2012

he could save some money and get rid of the bottom half of the lineup...

also, is it the same price in every city, or are Perth and Adelaide a bit more expensive?

Oflick said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I think Perth and Sydney are a bit more expensive.

crob said on the 13th Aug, 2012

i would like to know the venue before tixs go on sales..... if its at eastern creek then i might pass

nos235

nos235 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

$200 / 12 hours = $16.70 an hour.

3D Movie
$21/1.5 Hours = $14 p/h

Live Music is well worth an extra $2.70 per hour, so you have to say it's reasonably priced at $200.

tyler07 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I know alot of people don't buy into nos235's logic but I personally do.

If I can pay $200 to see full sets from Blink and Metallica, and get to catch a combo of Cancer Bats/Shai Hulud/Madball/APC/Paramore/Garbage then that's pretty solid value IMO.

batdan

batdan said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Weezer is going to cost me shitloads, SW is play money. Glad im not paying for kids to attend though.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I know alot of people don't buy into nos235's logic but I personally do.

thats what you got out of his comment? to me it sounded more like that by nos235's logic Stereosonic and the like are also good value simply because of how many hours of so-called entertainment you get.

nos235

nos235 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

If you like that entertainment then it is good value. I'm assuming you act as a rational consumer and don't spend money on things you don't enjoy.

tyler07 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

I suppose it depends on what festival it is. I didn't articulate my point particularly well, but I more think of it as money per band I want to see.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Batdan's kid

Piko

Piko said on the 13th Aug, 2012

to be honest, with the amount of bands on the soundwave lineup and the quality it could easily be a successful two day event without any additions and you would get more value for money. But touring a 2 day event isn't something you see done... the only multiday touring event I am aware of is Reading and Leeds festivals. Maybe AJ can ponder it though as it would be better for the fans. However considering all the under 18's that attend it would hurt a lot of the possible attendees and make it really unaffordable for them.

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

$200 / 12 hours = $16.70 an hour.

3D Movie
$21/1.5 Hours = $14 p/h

That assumes that you get more value for money turning up for the entire 12 hours than say 9 or 10. Not necessarily the case. Personally I'm unlikely to turn up to a music festival right at the beginning because by the end I'll be tired and over it when the best acts are on.

The reality for many people is that it is still $200 plus food/drink/transport etc.

Most Saturdays or Sundays you're not going to do an activity/event that takes 12 hours. You'll get your dose of entertainment in a much shorter space of time. For many people it will come back to whether they can spend that much money on one day.

I think the reality is that Soundwave will probably sell out quickly. Whilst it is very expensive for a single day festival, that probably has less of a price impact than something like Splendour costing $500 even though it was a three day event. The punter still has to front up with $500 to get a ticket/camping.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Your ticket covers your train trip in Sydney, no?

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

They normally do.

I don't know why I put transport amongst my costs. I guess some people don't make use of the free option (or rather the option they've already paid for).

retrosurfa

retrosurfa said on the 13th Aug, 2012

i paid $150 for metallica the other year (2.5hours they played for), they are to play for 2 hours at soundwave, with the ticket @ $200.
also dont forget there are still another 22 bands to be announced. 70 bands in total for sw2013!
i'd like to see the prices for next 2014 as aj has said this line up is a one off....

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Aug, 2012

If there weren't 70 bands the ticket price would probably be lower.

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 13th Aug, 2012

trying to rationalise the cost of a music festival against a 3D movie, this is amazing, keep going guys. can you compare it to 2 games shoe hire at AMF Bowling next pls

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 13th Aug, 2012

Does that come with a hot dog and coke though?

nos235

nos235 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

it's a pretty fucking simple equation. You either do the math and it comes out as good value based on your own personal preference system or it doesn't/ If it doesn't, shut the fuck up and stop whinging. Gormless cunt is the phrase that springs to mind

berlinchair101 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

nos sure likes calling people 'cunt' today.

nos235

nos235 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Braveheart81 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Calling one of the head honchos at inthemix a 'gormless cunt' seems like a great way to get yourself banned from the forum.

Keep it up nos235!

nos235

nos235 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Ooh touchy are we. Need a tissue?

MorningAfterboy said on the 14th Aug, 2012

What's the bet that this guy's kids just straight up fucking hate him.

Jaaaaaccckk

Jaaaaaccckk said on the 14th Aug, 2012

I get the feeling that they were taken away from him after neglecting them in favour of Battle of the Bands.

berlinchair101 said on the 14th Aug, 2012

How about we all just get along and leave other people's families out of it?

Yay!

MorningAfterboy said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry icecream!

ftfy

batdan

batdan said on the 14th Aug, 2012

How about we all just get along and leave other people's families out of it?

Yay!

Nice guy Berlinchair101 meme please.

waylon black

waylon black said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Yeah it's pricey as all hell but it's well worth it imo, plus it will be the only festival I go to this summer so no problem here.

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 14th Aug, 2012

Got my tickets on the presale, now the wait for February begins...

retrosurfa

retrosurfa said on the 14th Aug, 2012

hell yeah, tickets confirmed!!! im going to sound wave!!!

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 15th Aug, 2012

is it true that 85% of total tickets went in pre-sale today?

Oflick said on the 15th Aug, 2012

The only source seems to be AJ, who says so. 8,250 tickets left apparently.

And 2nd announcement may be coming Friday. (in b4 "friday of 2014 lololololol")

shazie said on the 15th Aug, 2012

13:00, Friday the 13th, Smarch 2013

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Aug, 2012

Lousy Smarch Soundwave announcements.