Pyramid Rock festival 2012lineup

UPDATE: October 11 – Pyramid has added Tame Impala, Asta, Beni, Los Coronas, and My Secret Circus to the lineup.

UPDATE: September 3 – The Cribs, The Amity Affliction, Brown Horn Orchestra, Mat McHugh & The Seperatista Sound System (formerly The Beautiful Girls), The Only, Pez, Redcoats and Winter People have been added to the lineup.

Pyramid Rock will welcome the start of 2013 three days of music and merriment on Phillip Island.

This year’s bill if one for the patriotic punter with a majority of local acts on the lineup although there are a few internationals as well with Pittsburgh punks Anti-Flag, Brighton duo Blood Red Shoes and a DJ set from the Friendly Fires sneaking onto the island.

There are more bands and DJs to be announced but so far the (alphabetical) lineup is headed by 360 and includes other local lads including Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, and Children Collide.

The festival will be celebrating its ninth year on the island and third consecutive year at the same price.

Pyramid Rock festival 2012 lineup

Slow Magic
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Urthboy
Xavier Rudd

Saturday 29 December – Tuesday 1 January
2 day and 3 day tickets on sale 9am Tuesday 4 September
$270 (non-camping) to $305 for camping tickets.

Comments

shaway

shaway said on the 7th Aug, 2012

i would prefer to have my ball sack waxed then to see in the new year with 360.

davidswan

davidswan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

You know it's a pretty weak lineup when you can't work out who the headliner is...

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Fixed for equal accuracy

berlinchair101 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Fuck yer! Uncle Sixty, gotta luv it.

Oflick said on the 7th Aug, 2012

What if the lineup included AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, A Led Zeppelin reunion, Metallica, Pearl Jam, U2, and a bazillion other massive bands. Would it be weak because you can't work out who the headliner is?

Though in that case it would probably be the Rolling Stones. Actually it wouldn't be too hard to work out the billing on that lineup. I need to work on my exampling skills.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Perhaps Billy Corgan playing a "requests only" dj set is on the second line up

Andeh

Andeh said on the 7th Aug, 2012

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan UMO are out of place

jakem896

jakem896 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

wow, pretty terrible to be honest

katiecunningham

katiecunningham said on the 7th Aug, 2012

hands like houses woooooooooooo

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 7th Aug, 2012

From everything I've heard, it sounds like a terrible festival. I don't know why people attend. Has it ever had an amazing line up?

crob said on the 7th Aug, 2012

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CoolRusty

CoolRusty said on the 7th Aug, 2012

2010 had a decent lineup. Future Of The Left, Chromeo, Trentemoller, Lightspeed Champion, Built To Spill and Neon Indian were all on the lineup.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Sounds like more value for money than what is on offer so far.

davidswan

davidswan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Haha no but you need some headline or standout acts to draw a crowd, otherwise no-one will bother coming. Your example above is all headline acts... which is an entirely different proposition ;)

berlinchair101 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

davidswan is underestimating how sik Uncle Sixty is.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

More like, Uncle Shitxty.

davidswan

davidswan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Just did some Wikipedia research, incase I'd been totally misguided. Turns out I was...

"In 2011, Colwell was awarded the Channel [V] Oz Artist of the Year, beating musicians such as Guy Sebastian and band Short Stack."

We have ourselves a headliner, I take it all back.

And then this: On July 18, 2010, Colwell went go-karting with Sydney-based hip-hop collaborative Bliss N Eso, and an accident occurred. He suffered from a torn artery, lacerated pancreas and suspected ruptured scrotum.

Duno why that's relevant to anything but thought it was worth sharing

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

360's a ruptured scrotum.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

The photo of the crowd at the top of the article looks like a good reflection of the lineup.

But Blood Red Shoes, yay.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 7th Aug, 2012

my comment got more likes than the article.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Now I know who you are.

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I would say a fair chunk of the line-up is made up of Summadayze/Field Day acts hence it appearing to be pretty thin at the moment.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Haha, it's not that bad. The lineup would be good for a cheap one-day festival.

davidswan

davidswan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Holy shit. Your name's not even Gregg.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Exactly, PR isn't a cheap one day festival, it's an expensive, two-day one.

grattan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Damn who gave you the One Great Night on Earth lineup!

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Ya, which is why I said 'would' and which is why I'm unenthused by the lineup.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I went last year because some friends and I got free tickets (in fact one of them won the competition that FL put together). The festival itself was okay - we took it easy and had a fairly relaxed time.

But the crowd. Sweet fuck, the crowd.

Within an hour of being there on the first day I saw some pissed bogan drop his fluoro footy shorts and take a dump in the middle of the crowd.

That set the tone for the rest of the festival.

tl;dr festival's okay, crowd's shit. Would consider going if I got offered a freebie again.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Glad someone picked up on that.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Or else a lot of people would have stepped in it.

crob said on the 7th Aug, 2012

that was apart of the PR initiation ceremony, as a outsider you were meant to join him

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 7th Aug, 2012

But the crowd. Sweet fuck, the crowd.

That set the tone for the rest of the festival.

Yeah, I've heard a few stories like that about Pyramid. Well, not that bad.

Reminds me of a time at Meredith when I ran into some friends on a road in the camp grounds, and a filthy random guy walked up to join the convo. Speaks absolute gibberish, squats and shits in his pants. Right in front of us. He was way high on acid. About 11am on the final day.
Looked a bit like this guy.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I've stood in human festival shit before. You really have to throw the shoes out. That smell doesn't disappear.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Yeah, I've heard a few stories like that about Pyramid. Well, not that bad.

Looked a bit like this guy.

Liked for Super Troopers.

I can imagine.

crob said on the 7th Aug, 2012

and people always refer to Meredith as the civilized festival....

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Oh it generally is, never seen anything like it. This guy was a harmless smelly wreck of a man. And he took his droppings with him so thats always nice.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Looked a bit like this guy.

Goddamn I'm keen for Meredith.

jana80

jana80 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I saw at least 3 of those acts at Peats Ridge that year, do the 2 festivals have a Falls/Southbound-type thing going on? I noticed there's a few shared acts this year so far as well with PR/PR. I know nothing about Pyarmid Rock, never pay attention to it tbh. But I'd take the lush grounds of Peats Ridge over the hot & dry-looking grounds of Pyramid Rock any day..

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Yeah there's usually a fair bit of sharing between the two and Woodford as well I think? Gotye played all three last year iirc.

One thing Pyramid has going for it is that it's right near the beach. Although that makes it fucking freezing as soon as the sun goes down.

jana80

jana80 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I'll be doing Woodford every year from now on, after going for the first time 2011/12. Looking forward to seeing what acts they get this year after seeing the Peats Ridge lineup..

kaydee

kaydee said on the 8th Aug, 2012

From memory there were about 6 or 7 acts that played both Peats & Woodford last year. And a handful of those played Pyramid Rock. I prefer Woodford to pretty much anything but might do Peat's this year, I don't think there's much chance of Blood Red Shoes ending up on the Woodford bill. And also less travel.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 8th Aug, 2012

One thing Pyramid has going for it is that it's right near the beach.

By beach you mean cliff top?

If only there was beach access.. would have made the consecutive 45 degree days a few years ago a bit more bearable.
Getting the bus to cowes was alright, once you got there. getting the bus back put you back to square 1

jana80

jana80 said on the 8th Aug, 2012

After having done both Peats & Woodford, I'm definitley sticking to Woodford. Peats was fun, but I love that Woodford goes for a week, the artists play multiple times throughout the week, the general vibe & cleanliness, etc. Not to mention that amphi! :) And like you said much less travel, big bonus.

grattan said on the 29th Aug, 2012

Bets on tomorrows additions?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 30th Aug, 2012

DJ Yoda
Gossling
Kate Miller-Heidke
Home Brew
Pnau
Saskwatch
Shockone
Smith Street Band
Van She

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 30th Aug, 2012

I swear DJ Yoda is here every god damn new years.