Image for Azealia Banks on her Splendour set: "I feel like I've cheated you all"

Azealia Banks on her Splendourset: "I feel like I've cheatedyou all"

Azealia Banks has apologised for her brief Splendour in the Grass performance, blaming the sound equipment for cutting her only Australian performance short.

With discography that only boasts a sixteen minute EP and a mixtape her performance was never going to fill her allotted hour on the Mix-Up stage but when she disappeared a mere twenty-five minutes after hitting the stage thousands of punters were left to wonder what had happened.

Backed by a DJ and a pair of voguing dancers Banks lightening paced show raced through her limited catalogue of material including a cover of Zebra Katz Ima Read and, of course, the inevitable set closer 212.

Despite her apologies the length of her set was essentially the same as her breakout performance at Coachella earlier this year.

When FL spoke to Splendour producer Jessica Ducrou about the hype and pressure on Azealia Banks to deliver at the festival she told us that the festival “obviously travels so we get to see a lot of what we are booking before we actually see them. I think [Azealia] is outrageously talented and when I heard 212_ it was just so refreshing and bold and perfect for us.”

Azealia Banks (Live At Coachella, 2012) by coachellasets

Splendour photo by Elleni Toumpas

Comments

Jimmyopendoors

Jimmyopendoors said on the 30th Jul, 2012

worst performance of splendour 2012 goes to azealia banks. closing followed by her dj's performance in the same set!

Jimmyopendoors

Jimmyopendoors said on the 30th Jul, 2012

closely** . winner of shit spelling goes to me.

batdan

batdan said on the 30th Jul, 2012

All could have been resolved If they put her down for a 30 min set or wait for her to have more material.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Yea a shorter set time might have been good.

From the footage of the Coachella set that I saw, it looked as though her dj warmed the crowd up for a few minutes before she came on stage. If they just gave her a 45 min slot instead, her dj could have warmed up the crowd for 5 minutes, then she could have done all the stuff from the EP (which is great), then the standouts from the (almost) hour long mixtape she has out.

I guess it just comes back down to artists being extremely hyped before they even have an album out, and then being expected to put professional performances on at festivals around the world (a la Lana Del Ray) without the learning curve of small venues with no fame/pressure.

truthlies

truthlies said on the 30th Jul, 2012

She was phenominal! Great show!

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 30th Jul, 2012

For what it's worth, this looks like it would've been a rather decent-length show.

grattan said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Probably not. She plays snippets tracks and only does the bigger ones in full.

mitchmac

mitchmac said on the 30th Jul, 2012

she's cheated the crowd just by walking on stage! her 'music' (i use that term very loosely) is so absolutely atrocious an empty stage would be more entertaining!

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 30th Jul, 2012

She still had plenty of tracks she didn't play, she didn't even do Liquorice! the 25 minutes she played were awesome but still 25 minutes?! Playing on with technical difficulties would still have been better than not playing at all

Jose Cuervo said on the 30th Jul, 2012

I enjoyed all 25 minutes of it

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

♥ AZEALIA BANKS ♥ ‏@AZEALIABANKS
Feels soooo good to be back in NYC!!!!!!!!!!! #party #homecookedfood #family

She just wanted her cash and to go home.

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jul, 2012

What a surprise... RustyinBondi has a go at the black woman.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 30th Jul, 2012

cunt didn't get eaten then...

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Let's face it she hated the byron hick town and was back in NYC eating her mums chicken wings 36 hrs after her 25 minute set in Byron.

I was there fro the show and enjoyed what I saw but thought it was load of shit her blaming the sound when the tech guys that i spoke to said she ran out of material. His words not mine.

So yes she can take her cash and hopefully never come back.

This was the tech that told me pic.twitter.com/efXHv7ql

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jul, 2012

You're the fucking hick, champion.

Were you disappointed that she was there to play music and not work in the fields?

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Why is anyone surprised or even critical that she ran out of material after 25 minutes?

She hasn't even released an album.

Most interested people are pretty happy to see her considering how much hype she's garnered recently. The drawback of seeing someone so new on the scene is they don't have a lot to play.

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

I would have been happier to see Regurgitator play for the whole length of what they got paid for. They would have nailed Tu Plang and Unit for 60 or even 90 minutes.

I bet Azealia got booked at a lower rate than what she thought she was worth and refused to play any longer than 25 minutes. What a spoilt pratt.

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

She hasn't even released an album.

Well she said she had technical issues. So your point is not valid or she is a liar.

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jul, 2012

That is an incredibly ridiculous assumption.

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jul, 2012

So you'd rather the gook work for the low rates rather than the n[size=2]igger? What an equal opportunist you are.

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

I bet Azaeilia would have got paid more to do this one set at SITG than regurgitator will get for re-touring Tu Plang and Unit Nationally

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Does that keep you up at night? A coon taking your hard-earned? A fucking COON?

RustyinBondi said on the 30th Jul, 2012

Eating cheese does keep you up at night

berlinchair101 said on the 30th Jul, 2012

That's some mad detective work there bro. Moriarty is shaking in his boots.

You are such a huuuge fuckwit. It amazes me that someone can be such a human piece of shit and be so oblivious.

Yeah man, I bet she's so glad she shortened her set, otherwise it would have taken her aaaages for her to get home.

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

That's some mad detective work there bro. Moriarty is shaking in his boots.

She had no want to be here, just cash. She did a nasty blowjob around the corner of a performance. Fly in fly out.

Feels soooo good to be back in NYC!!!!!!!!!!! #party #homecookedfood #family

she said it

berlinchair101 said on the 31st Jul, 2012

she said it

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Yep; and you assumed what food she was eating because you hate anyone that isn't white. Fuck you.

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Nahh i just stereotyped her.

Nothing wrong with home made chicken wings

mattycarr

mattycarr said on the 31st Jul, 2012

as much as i didn't expect her to play for an hour, intentionally leaving out a second single like "liquorice" would be pretty damn surprising given her lack of material. it was an awesome set for its timeslot but clearly not everything went to plan. there were technical difficulties in a few of the earlier tracks, so wouldn't surprise me if she was unable to pull the important pieces together for a couple of tracks she had hoped to play. totally agree it would have been better for her to push on through the issues though, but overall pretty happy with what i got.

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed your 25 awesome minutes of fluff.

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jul, 2012

No way you'd be saying this if she was white.

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Of course I would. I thought Metric's set was boring and the only reason why she kept half her crowd was because shit hit good tits and a great ass that she was parading on stage.

Stefan Beck said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Can we please get a ban over here?

RustyinBondi is a bigot and moron, the worst possible combination.

shazie said on the 31st Jul, 2012

I believe his poetic words means her tits were so good, he would take a piece of his shit and hit it on her tits.

I feel dirty after saying that, I'm going to take a shower now...

Braveheart81 said on the 31st Jul, 2012

I think he meant shit hot instead of shit hit.

shazie said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Didnt think about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a typo though.

tyler07 said on the 31st Jul, 2012

She can make it up to us by coming back, and soon, and playing an exclusive show inside my pants.

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

RE: Metric's set

Yup typo

Meant to read "because she had good tits and a great ass" (bloke eye candy)

Her set sounded like a cd. I was expecting big things but it got boring. Was desperately wanting to hear "Lost Kitten" but bailed for the strongbow boat before sound issues tore a whole in their set.

Waving a tambourine while singing cd perfect to a song does not create a great live performance.

Jose Cuervo said on the 31st Jul, 2012

Strongbow....shit you are a classy motherfucker (y)

RustyinBondi said on the 31st Jul, 2012

How did your overpriced VIP tickets go Lak Lak?

VIP = Very Ignorant Pissed-Bogan.

Apparently it was very popular with the West Australian CUB's who were saying the VIP upgrade was a waste of money even for those fly in fly out offshore bogans

Jose Cuervo said on the 31st Jul, 2012

I didnt get a VIP upgrade.....I didnt actually drink in the festival at all, I preferred to see music instead

nos235

nos235 said on the 3rd Aug, 2012

synaesthesia - one of the great benefits of tryptamines