Image for Weezer announce first Australian tour in sixteen years

Weezer announce firstAustralian tour in sixteenyears

Say it aint so! After years and years of topping FL’s annual list of Most Wanted Tours, Rivers Cuomo has finally yielded to our relentless pleading and is bringing Weezer Down Under. Yes, you read that correctly: WEEZER IS TOURING AUSTRALIA!

Last here in 1996 on their infamous Pinkerton tour the band set about confusing Dylan Lewis and giving confidence to a whole generation of skinny, guitar-playing white guys. Having made us wait sixteen long years for their return Cuomo and co are gifting us with a classic hits tour, which will see them playing all their best songs (Hash Pipe!), rarities and their debut Blue Album in its entirety. So this is what it sounds like when fanboys cry.

Upon its release in 1994 the Blue Album ushered in a new era of awkward frontmen and intelligent guitar-pop. Songs like the classic Buddy Holly and Undone fast became the soundtrack of a generation who had been raised on the sounds of Seattle and were in desperate need of a reason a smile.

Weezer tour dates:
Sunday 13th January – Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
Wednesday 16th January – Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Melbourne
Saturday 19th January – Entertainment Centre, Sydney
Wednesday 23rd January – Perth Arena, Perth

Tickets go on sale Thursday 26th July

Want to know some weird and wonderful facts about The Blue album? The band shared some with FL – click to the next page to find out why Rivers Cuomo was left hangin upside down in a doorway whern writing The World Has Turned.

Comments

Quicky

Quicky said on the 24th Sep, 2012

And you're the one who spells "mate," m8. Proves you're living in the past....

Oflick said on the 24th Sep, 2012

M8! M8! You're living in the past, LOBF. Quit living in the past.

gumbuoy said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Oh dear, Quicky v LOBF could be one for the ages...

Stefan Beck said on the 24th Sep, 2012

There's gonna be so many greater than signs when shit kicks off.

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Sep, 2012

quicky you think parkway drive are better than death cab or any bands i listen to , and i quote max power "and that's the end of that chapter" ptc i picked up m8 from my pal james who plays in millions, i'm sure you'd be sweating them by now ;)

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Sep, 2012

LOBF vs Gregg > LOBF vs Quicky.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 24th Sep, 2012

I'm ready for this

Quicky

Quicky said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Hey I didn't say Parkway were better than Death Cab. I love both bands and I consider Death Cab to be more personal and meaningful to me so I slightly prefer DCFC > Parkway. Doesn't mean I can't like both bands and also I like alot of bands / artists that you like (for example - City + Colour, The Getaway Plan, Brand New, Band Of Horses, Weezer, Regina Spektor, Sarah Blasko) by the way. Also I have no interest in Millions.

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Sep, 2012

fair enough i am hypocritical when it comes to metal fans, but they just really irk me especially with the homophobia being soundwave fans

gumbuoy said on the 24th Sep, 2012

you guys are doing it wrong.

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Sep, 2012

that's it jace ur bashed m9

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Dude! Quicky was just talking smack about you to me on FB chat. He said he was pretending to get along with you to avoid having a fight on FL. He said Brand New sound like aids and that he hopes Parkway Drive gang rape Ben Gibbard and take a big smelly dump on his face. Then he ragged on your hat!

lineofbestfit said on the 24th Sep, 2012

well a music expert who's musical hero is matt belamey (c what a did thar) is qualified to make such a retort

Quicky

Quicky said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Not cool man. I didn't say any of that. Pics or it didn't happen.

Also Matt Bellamy isn't my musical hero. However, Yannis Philippakis is for the record.

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Sep, 2012

It was pretty obvious I was joking dude.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Not cool man. I didn't say any of that. Pics or it didn't happen.

I can confirm that Quicky said this, BC just sent me a screencap of the conversation.

gumbuoy said on the 24th Sep, 2012

And jace just sent me a screenshot of himself confirming it in this thread, so I can confirm that it happened too.

batdan

batdan said on the 24th Sep, 2012

Dear Quicky,

Before you post anything, count to 10 and then don't do it.

Regards

batdan

Quicky

Quicky said on the 24th Sep, 2012

I'll count to 10 and use those precious seconds to assess whether its worth posting. That's a better option than going invisible.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 24th Sep, 2012

When did batdan say anything about going invisible?

ThatDude123 said on the 24th Sep, 2012

batdan

batdan said on the 25th Sep, 2012

gumbuoy said on the 26th Sep, 2012

so the poster for the brisbane show suggests it's greatest hits then blue album. would've thought it would be the other way round.

Piko

Piko said on the 26th Sep, 2012

Hopefully it means the teenyboppers will leave after the first set hehe.

Either that or the greatest hits songs are more taxing to play and hence don't want to play them last for that reason. But i'm just clutching at straws there without any real analysis.

Napoleon Solo said on the 26th Sep, 2012

I don't know about that. I always assumed Blue album last because I don't want to live in a world where the set doesn't finish with Only in Dreams.

lineofbestfit said on the 26th Sep, 2012

ball park music are probably bigger than cloud control seeing how they have been in England for a year strange it's not the opposite way round

Piko

Piko said on the 26th Sep, 2012

Random useless fact. Cloud Control have twice the amount of likes on Facebook than Ball Park Music do.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 26th Sep, 2012

^ Yea but Ball Park Music went to England. They were in England.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 26th Sep, 2012

Wait wait wait, they went to England and were in England?

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 26th Sep, 2012

England?! The Beatles were in England too! Does this mean Ball Park Music are the new Beatles??? All signs point to yes!

Oflick said on the 26th Sep, 2012

I once knew a guy from England. Is he in Ball Park Music? He must be.

shazie said on the 26th Sep, 2012

The National have a song called England, they must be the super secret support :O

Piko

Piko said on the 27th Sep, 2012

I've never been to England.. No wonder I'm failing at life = /

lineofbestfit said on the 27th Sep, 2012

i like how quicky is liking all these posts about hating on teeny boppers when that's exactly what he is a nu metal turned indie for street cred teeny bopper;)

Quicky

Quicky said on the 27th Sep, 2012

1) I turn 18 in 8 days
2) Mainstream kid who turned hipster but I do like some nu-metal.

tyler07 said on the 27th Sep, 2012

I don't think liking Birds of Tokyo makes you a hipster.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 27th Sep, 2012

But Bon Iver, Animal Collective, Crystal Castles, Fleet Foxes do?

Oflick said on the 27th Sep, 2012

If you need to ask, you're not a true hipster.

Sorry Quicky.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 27th Sep, 2012

Couldn't care less tbh. I hate any kinds of labels.

Oflick said on the 27th Sep, 2012

I love labels. Everything needs to be labelled.

Stefan Beck said on the 27th Sep, 2012

What about RECORD labels?!

Check. Mate.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Sep, 2012

My camera has a label on it

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 28th Sep, 2012

My camera has a label on it

FTFY

deanoss

deanoss said on the 24th Oct, 2012

kinda pertinent

Quicky

Quicky said on the 25th Oct, 2012

Would be great if they did an extra show in Sydney at the Enmore Theatre doing Pinkerton in full :(

Piko

Piko said on the 12th Jan, 2013

Weezer tomorrow night in Brisbane!

batdan

batdan said on the 12th Jan, 2013

Have a good one Piko! Can't wait for Sydney :)

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 12th Jan, 2013

Will be going to the Brisbane show solo, man this is going to be weird.
Weezer will make it all better though.

Oflick said on the 12th Jan, 2013

I'm going alone to 4/6 of my upcoming gigs. You need to embrace the creepy loner within you, Jace.

gumbuoy said on the 12th Jan, 2013

Will be going to the Brisbane show solo, man this is going to be weird.
Weezer will make it all better though.

catchup there? we'll be arriving earlyish, hoping to catch Ball Park Music...

lineofbestfit said on the 13th Jan, 2013

they are having trouble selling tickets for $50 for two tickets on ebay, poor weezer they shouldn't have taken fifteen year and 10 of those years making terrible records.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Jan, 2013

I really don't understand why Weezer aren't playing Pinkerton and The Blue Album at the same show. More people would go if that was the case.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jan, 2013

More people would go if they weren't shit.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Jan, 2013

They should of played a smaller venue in all honesty.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 13th Jan, 2013

I'm in GA4, what about you?
I'll be the guy pretending to text on his phone during sets.

Blue + Pinkerton would run for pretty long though, I personally think that it's better this way.

Yeah I agree with this, but I guess they couldn't really predict how big/small the turnout would be.

gumbuoy said on the 13th Jan, 2013

I'm in GA4, what about you?
I'll be the guy pretending to text on his phone during sets.

Im in section S13. I'll be the guy who stares accusingly at people who are talking on their phones during sets.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 13th Jan, 2013

Woops I meant between sets.

gumbuoy said on the 13th Jan, 2013

Good set tonight, greatest hits was exactly that, as was Blue Album. but the BEC was only half full - the ticket price was way too high, especially since it just ended up being four guys in front of a backdrop. Radiohead had much more of a stage show, for less money.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 13th Jan, 2013

Fuck that was amazing, what a start to 2013 of gigs for me.
Also props to Cloud Control for that Gold Canary into Pepper transition, was dope.

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 13th Jan, 2013

How many Pinkerton songs were in the greatest hits set? I'm hoping for Good Life, Across the Sea and Why Bother? but I'm probably being a bit hopeful.

jacegalvin

Dope Nose
Island In The Sun
Hash Pipe
El Scorcho
Good Life

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jan, 2013

I hope they play Beverly Hills!!!!

lineofbestfit said on the 13th Jan, 2013

i hope they play hurley instead of pinkerton brah. Cloud control need to stick around and do a sidetour, way better than bore park music, they got so stale fast

deanoss

deanoss said on the 14th Jan, 2013

just got my Music Bowl lawn ticket upgraded to Stalls. Apparently there are rows of seats "now available" after none were available during pre sale or early general sale.
so if you've got a lawn ticket, and want a better spot, give ticketmaster a bell

gumbuoy said on the 14th Jan, 2013

Cloud Control said they'll be back for a full tour later this year, as they have a new album coming out.

But I liked BPM better.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 19th Jan, 2013

BPM are great! They've been having great success over the last two years and their music is so unique.

Looking forward to that full Cloud Control tour later in the year! :) I'm left amazed everytime I see them.

Oflick said on the 19th Jan, 2013

You know what I thought would be an annoying thing to do? Instead of just posting my thoughts, I decided to write a one thousand word review to the Sydney show. I had a lot of time to kill. Fuck you all. May poor sentence structure destroy you all. Because you will all totally read it...

The trip to Weezer started off badly. While walking through Darling Harbour to the Entertainment Centre, I witnessed a horrifying sight: a seagull was trapped in one of the fountains. It struggled to get free, but the pouring water proved too great a barrier for it. At one point it looked like it was going to make it, but turned around at the last minute as the water continued to rain upon it mercilessly.

Unfortunately, I found myself succumbing to the bystander affect and did nothing. I admitted to myself that if no one else was there I probably would have tried to rescue it. But with a crowd around me, like a coward I turned my back to this seagull in distress. As I walked away (with no one pulling a thread to destroy my sweater, by the way), I promised I would return after the show.

By the time I reached the Entertainment Centre it was about 8:50. I had missed the support bands Ball Park Music and Cloud Control, and Weezer were scheduled to take the stage in ten minutes. As I wandered through the crowd (who were on average ten years older than me), I was surprised at how packed the venue was. Reports that other shows had underwhelming attendance lead me to believe that Sydney would be similar, but that was not the case at all.

Though this was obviously good for the band, the obvious downside was that there were people everywhere. There were people in line at the bar, people standing in front of the stage, people in the toilets. They were everywhere. I tried to pee in peace in a stall (I’m bad at public urination) and before long someone who saw me walk in started knocking on the door. You know, they wanted to know if I was still in there. Maybe they thought I had walked out through the back door? Or maybe I forgot where I was and needed their knock to remind me?

I hate people. But the only way to see Weezer was with a lot of other people, so I had to just suck it up and deal.

Come 9 (9:01 according to my phone, just saying) the lights went off and the audience erupted with applause as Weezer took the stage. They opened with the song Memories, one of their better new songs. (NOTE: This song alludes to a time “back when Audioslave was still Rage”. It’s worth noting that this song was released in 2010. Rage Against the Machine had reformed by then and Audioslave no longer existed. It would be like Jello Biafra introducing California Uber Alles by saying “here’s a song about a time long ago when Jerry Brown was governor”). The crowd was receptive, but not the most energetic.

As the night progressed, however, this slowly changed. The setlist was structured with the song selection being played more or less from newest to oldest. So as the songs got older, the energy levels got higher. Songs like (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To and Pork and Beans appeared early on to positive fan fare, but no major excitement. Beverly Hills, a song everyone says they hate but still sings along to, appeared in the middle amongst other mid 2000s songs, which got a similar reaction.

The show really began to pick up as we got closer to the 90s with Hash Pipe. It got a massive reception, but that was nothing compared to what happened soon after (or immediately after, I can’t remember) when El Scorcho had sex with everyone’s eardrums. From the second the song started, Weezer owned the crowd. The crowd sung along to every word, and the energy levels were staggering. If there was some device that measured a crowd’s energy, it would have exploded. Probably would have killed some people. It may have only lasted four minutes, but nothing in the show before or after could compare to it. Not even the unnecessary b-side they played right after. Who’d have thought? And it was such a logical song choice.

Member of Weezer who isn’t Rivers: So what song should we play after El Scorcho?
Rivers: Well, after that song the whole audience will be energetic and ready to sing along to the next song. So obviously we’ll want to play a song a lot of them have never heard.

A short intermission was followed by a slide show. It had a few interesting facts, but the general consensus from the audience was “fuck the slide show; play the blue album”. And that they did. The band returned to the stage and the crowd was ready. My Name is Jonas started them off and from then on the setlist was predictable, but no one was going to complain about that.

With everybody aware of what songs they were going to play next, you could feel the tension in every gap. Before Buddy Holly the crowd was like a sprinter at the starting line waiting for the gun to go off. They were ready to sing along, and the suspense was killing them (and me, to be honest). There were quite a few false starts, though no one was disqualified from the audience and asked to leave. Then when the band finally started, the audience unleashed it all. It didn’t match El Scorcho, but it came close.

Buddy Holly, Undone, and Say It Ain’t So unsurprisingly got the biggest reactions, but the rest of the album was welcomed with excitement and energy. This was the Weezer of the 90s. The Weezer everyone wanted to hear. And when Only in Dreams ended, the crowd still wanted more.

And so came a completely spontaneous encore with Island in the Sun. Funny how the band would forget to play one of their most famous songs in the main set. And the tech guys forgot to turn the lights on after the blue album finished, so it appeared as if it was planned all along. But don’t let the fact that it so clearly was planned fool you into thinking it was planned. It was spontaneous.

Once again the song didn’t match El Scorcho or any of the tracks from the blue album, but it proved a great track to end with. Rivers said he couldn’t wait to come back to Australia (he probably said that it 1996), and the band left. As did the audience, as is customary.

The show may have taken a while to truly pick up, but once it did it was something to be remembered. Perhaps the fact that it took 16 years helped make what would otherwise just be another concert feel that little bit more special. Perhaps it wasn’t worth waiting 16 years for. But for what it was, it was a hugely entertaining show that stuck with me the whole way home. It was, for the most part, all I was thinking about. It wasn’t until I was nearly home that I remembered the seagull in the fountain.

So love them or hate them, one thing is undeniable: Weezer is a band that makes you forget about animals suffering.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

There you go. This review's not as hate filled as I intended it to be. For some reason it actually became a real review quite a few times.

MorningAfterboy said on the 19th Jan, 2013

How long were you watching that fucking seagull?

Should have gotten Rhetty to come and kick it for you.

shazie said on the 19th Jan, 2013

too long. did read?

Entertaining review, I enjoyed reading it (and last night of course).

Oflick said on the 19th Jan, 2013

Yeah, I'm sorry. I was in a strange mood last night.

Jose Cuervo said on the 19th Jan, 2013

I will end up having a read later because oflick is a good guy at sports

lineofbestfit said on the 19th Jan, 2013

The first set bar el schorcho.and hash pipe was woeful also the world has turned was the highlight along with only in dreams. That is all

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 20th Jan, 2013

That was a pretty accurate description of the concert - El Scorcho was definitely the stand out moment in the first set and none of the blue album songs quite got to that level of energy. And spot on re the song that followed - a total momentum killer. Most of the first half was pretty cool but there's no doubt in my mind that very few of those songs match anything on their debut. Troublemaker sounded flat without a second guitar, I think Rivers should have carried on playing in that one.

The slide show was kind of interesting but the 20 odd minute gap between the two sets was way too long. The blue album was great, though they smashed through it in a pretty workmanlike fashion, I was expecting some sort of singalong type dealio but it didn't materialise. El Scorcho would have made a better set closer than Island In the Sun in my opinion.

All in all I'm glad I went because I smashed the blue album from when it came out and probably for another four or five years afterwards - I literally grew up on those songs - but at the same time I wish I'd caught them when they were a bit younger.

They are no doubt a tight unit but you're struggling if you're not nailing songs after 20 years of practice.

Napoleon Solo said on the 20th Jan, 2013

Gman you are full of shit, I saw you coming from the City when I came out to escape Island in the Sun, fuck that song.

berlinchair101 said on the 20th Jan, 2013

Fuck this was amazing. I think I love you.

I would have kicked that seagull to freedom! Or death. Whatever.

Oflick said on the 20th Jan, 2013

I still feel guilty for leaving it there.

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

if matt sharp can be talked to come out of retirement again and they make good on the pinkerton promise having him back for a tour is a must, must suck being shriner that he's still on the shirts, most fans like mikey welsh more than him and he's been in the band like 10 something years.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Setlist Spoiler in white:

From memory:
If You're Wondering
Pork And Beans
Troublemaker
Perfect Situation
Beverly Hills
Dope Nose
Island In The Sun
Hash Pipe
El Scorcho
Good Life

hmmm, I don't think they played Good Life in Sydders, from memory they finished the hits set with El Scorcho. Too bad cus I really like Good Life.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Hipster detected. That song is dope. :p

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

i left after only in dreams, wise choice

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Nah they closed it with You Gave Your Love To Me Softly, a really good b-side but I would've preferred Good Life.

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

i think they only played it brisbane and the pinkerton set in melbourne obviously from setlist fm memory.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 21st Jan, 2013

On a completely unrelated note, did anyone buy the Weezer TROLL?

batdan

batdan said on the 21st Jan, 2013

No troll doll for me. I bought my daughter the pendant

Stefan Beck said on the 23rd Jan, 2013

I gotta say, this was a pretty good show.

Some more Pinkerton would've been nice though.

grattan said on the 6th May, 2014

Oflick said on the 6th May, 2014

Does anyone really want them to come back? Last year's show was good, but the only thing that would make me see them again is if they played Pinkerton in full.

berlinchair101 said on the 6th May, 2014

I would watch them if it was them getting black bags put over their heads and then executed via gunshot to the back of the head.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 6th May, 2014

That video montage in the intermission must have been hella expensive...

Jose Cuervo said on the 6th May, 2014

I very much enjoyed seeing them a 2nd time around in August, but the show was free.

There are 188 more comments. View them all