Muse: “No Australian touruntil 2014”

Space opera pioneers, dubstep converts and Olympic torch bearers Muse won’t be bringing their new album The 2nd Law until 2014.

The news comes from triple j magzine’s music editor, Samantha Clode, who interviewed the band yesterday and has announced on Twitter that although Muse was “chuffed” with triple j’s joke version of the band’s new single Survival there’ll be “No Oz tour though ‘til 2014”.

The trio haven’t been seen in Australia since 2010, although they did tour twice that year – headlining the Big Day Out in January before returning for a low key tour eleven months later. These second shows saw the band playing atop giant towers erected in the middle of arenas surrounded by what FL’s reviewer described as “enough End Of The World art direction to make it seem like Pink Floyd never happened”.

The band’s new single Survival has divided opinions with the 44% of FL voters declaring that it is “Terrible, but it’s an Olympic song so at least it’s not Nikki Webster”, while 13% declared that the song is “Part of a fiendish Illuminati plan to destroy the world.”

As that review of the band’s show in Sydney in 2010 noted: “Muse will always straddle the divide between cool and geeky, no matter how many times their songs are used in vampire movies. As we leave the stadium reeling, the one name that emerges in conversations all around us is that of the late Freddie Mercury’s. Certainly Muse have put on a glam show worthy of comparison to their countrymen, Queen. And Bellamy, with his shining falsetto, guitar solos and even shinier pants, could well be the man’s natural successor. We’ll probably find that out for certain on the next Muse tour, which one has little doubt will be on the moon.”

Comments

junglekittens

junglekittens said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Ha Ha Great news, in-fact make their return at least 2018

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Shut up, Scooter. We eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Oflick said on the 12th Jul, 2012

It's an undisclosed desire!

tyler07 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Fuck this band and all the Scooters who like them.

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Nope doesn't deserve a gif...

kinksta

kinksta said on the 12th Jul, 2012

well at least we know who will be headlining the 2014 big day out

Quicky

Quicky said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Hey Scooter, the golden jacket is mine! Fair and square buddy...

humanracin

humanracin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

that Olympics song is shit...

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

You don't win a lot of those races do you, HR? :D

humanracin

humanracin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

but I'm always winning!

crob said on the 12th Jul, 2012

so they will be the BDO 2014 headliner..... history would have predicted them to be the other monster head liner with the RHCP

01seb

01seb said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Kind of shit. Even if you don't like them, no-one can say that they don't put on an awesome live show.

But anyway, hope I get to see them on my UK trip in June/July next year.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I can and will.

They were incredibly lackluster at BDO. I had very high expectations, given the hype surrounding their live performances. They had a cool light show, and they sounded fine, but they lacked any spontaneity or raw energy. It all just felt way too calculated.

01seb

01seb said on the 12th Jul, 2012

At GC BDO, the sound quality shitted over every other band that played, the light show shitted over every other band that played and the whole band's performance shitted over every other band that played.

tyler07 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

The problem with Muse fans is that they think Muse are some life-changing live band because they have all the bells and whistles and bullshit.

The fact of the matter is they're still performing sub-par sci-fi rock operas with minimal crowd interaction and they look as if they're just going through the motions. Snooze.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I'm a fan of the majority of Muse's catalogue, but the lack of any kind of direct or indirect acknowledgement of the crowd is what killed it for me. I felt like I was just watching HAARP with the volume turned up really loud.

01seb

01seb said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Yeah sure, the crowd interaction isn't one of their strong points. But the whole show is just at another level compared to 95% of other bands. The level of attention to detail at the shows is just awesome.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I don't really like Muse besides a couple of songs.
I caught them at BDO, but wasn't that into it.

But it was a pretty good show, and I would have loved it if I was into Muse.

But still, Rammstein live shits over any Muse show.

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Shazie will prob neck himself in europe now

tyler07 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I probably came across pretty harsh before, and I don't particularly like to rag on people for liking bands who have put out at least some quality music, but I just really dispute this whole idea that Muse are some God-tier level live band, especially after having seen them live myself.

Did I hate them live? No, they were alright, but if we're going to talk bells and whistles then I saw more impressive things at Katy Perry and Britney Spears.

shazie said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Not until I've had a croissant stuffed in a baguette wrapped in a crepe.

Not too surprised by this, they usually come every 3 years and instead it's 4 this time (but damn it'll be a long year). In regards to why there is minimal crowd interaction, Matt has said a lot of times he's not very good with talking in between songs so he would rather have those jams imbetween songs instead.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I remember going to Britney Spears. Wasn't a bad show by all means, stage production was well done but the fact she was lip syncing was so poor.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Where's my pitchfork & net so I can duel you all. Except Shazzie & Seb because they are good. Quicky will be dueled first due to youngness & imagined smallness. MAB 2nd because he is a dangerous adversary. As for that sandy vagina remark (yes I like to exfoliate)

tyler07 said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Not that it needs to be said, but Britney > Muse. No contest.

helenloraine

helenloraine said on the 12th Jul, 2012

that's a shame. they're an amazing band, amazing live! but the anticipation for the 2014 shows is going to be huge.

shazie said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I guess the good side of it is that it might be the last/later end of their shows for the the 2nd law, and Muse will probably want to change up their set a little. (happened last tour when they came back late 2010 and I think the same for 07 when the played stuff like Fury, can't remember if that was played for their bdo sideshow or at the end of 07 and I'm too lazy to do a simple search on setlist.fm)

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I get the feeling no one cares enough to dispute that anyway

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 12th Jul, 2012

I can and will.

Nailed it, super-intendant.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Muse/Tool to coheadline BDO 2014 making it the most insufferable festival of the century

Oflick said on the 13th Jul, 2012

It won't seem so bad after Linkin Park is announced as Soundwave 2013's headliner.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Muse are the best live band in the world because they have lasers and fireworks and stuff and also Pink Floyd never happened.

MorningAfterboy said on the 13th Jul, 2012

What a utopia that would be.

tyler07 said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Not a Floyd man? My friend and I got high one night and listened to Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here on vinyl while looking at old school editions of Playboy around a lava-lamp. We wanted to experience what the 70's were really like. We're fans of Pink Floyd now.

batdan

batdan said on the 13th Jul, 2012

You must be a 70's expert now. Congratulations.

MorningAfterboy said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Oh jesus god no, Tool were worse live than Muse.

Not sure if quoting a film or TV series...

tyler07 said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Thanks for the support. As you can tell, I worked hard for my success.

And nah MAB, that's a true story.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jul, 2012

Not sure if quoting a film or TV series...

It's from Tyler's stand out role in Cunamulla.

tyler07 said on the 13th Jul, 2012

I'm still bummed I turned down a role in The Shire :(

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 13th Jul, 2012

speaking of things that don't suck (why am i posting this in a muse thread) billy west is doing supanova in november.

shazie said on the 13th Jul, 2012

WHAT?! Oh god yes!

Edit: right in the middle of exams and concerts >_>

Fathena

Fathena said on the 18th Jul, 2013

yes, they changed their mind abou it, lucky you!!!even shinier pants ;)

AnnySi

AnnySi said on the 19th Jul, 2013

why? what's wrong with muse?????

Quicky

Quicky said on the 23rd Jul, 2013

I'll be going if I can scrape together the cash for it.

shazie said on the 23rd Jul, 2013

Tickets are 130 and when you factor in postage and BF they end up being 141. Fuuuuun fun.

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Jul, 2013

You should donate that money to charity rather than spend it trying to convince yourself that Muse are still good.

01seb

01seb said on the 23rd Jul, 2013

Got my presale ticket today.

shazie said on the 24th Jul, 2013

Awesome, I guess a meetup for the show is in order!

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 24th Jul, 2013

I think I used to be the 3rd muse fapper on here...but then I got slightly less brain damaged

gumbuoy said on the 24th Jul, 2013

I'm a massive fan of everything right up until The Resistance, but I can't spend that much money on an entertainment centre show which will probably feature a lot of songs I don't like.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 25th Jul, 2013

I agree very much with the last post

shazie said on the 28th Jul, 2013

God damn I've been so good in avoiding all the setlists this tour and I had 2 songs spoiled for me from Helsinki last night... but holy shit I hope to god they play those 2 songs I had spoiled. 2 old b-sides with great riffs? Yes please!

01seb

01seb said on the 28th Jul, 2013

Yes Please and Agitated got played hey?
I think they will play some of that sort of stuff over here too. Australia always seems to get the pick of the setlists every tour.

shazie said on the 28th Jul, 2013

Yes Please and Agitated got played hey?

Yeah that's awesome to hear they're playing them! Would especially love to hear Yes Please live, even if it was just in the outro jam form. If they have a second Brisbane show I'm tempted to go to that as well now, just in the off chance of a repeat of what happened last tour..

shazie said on the 28th Jul, 2013

A bit too quick of a response from me haha. Most probably will end up not doing a second in Bris because of the whole money thing.. If money wasn't an issue then yeah totally.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

If money wasn't an issue, someone would have surely put out a hit on Muse a few years ago.

gumbuoy said on the 29th Jul, 2013

If money was no issue, in 2008 I would've flown over to England, bought the members of Muse all the hookers and blow they could want until I was their best friend, then convinced them to put the guitars back in to The Resistance. Then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

If money wasn't an option I'd probably ride my robotic T-rex to my summer castle and have a cocaine party with Josh Homme after watching QOTSA play and never ever think about Muse ever.

Oh, and I'd have Win Buttler killed in front of Oflick.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

Oh, and I'd have Win Buttler killed in front of Oflick.

Really?

Surely it would be better to have it done in front of everyone but Oflick.

Hey Oflick, remember that time we saw Win Butler get killed? Oh, you missed it? That's awkward.

Oflick said on the 29th Jul, 2013

I'm so glad I'm not this Offlick you guys are always tormenting.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

Sorry, I meant Oflick.

If there is a guy around named Offlick with two Fs, I'm pretty sure he would have seen Arcade Fire already.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

What does Oflick mean, anyway?

Oxford's dictionary defines Oflick as 'Someone who squanders the opportunity to witness Arcade Fire'

Oflick said on the 29th Jul, 2013

When I was in High School, a friend and I wrote an incredibly unfunny skit making fun of the OFLC. One of the jokes was that everyone pronounced it phonetically. OFLC pronounced as a word would probably be "Ofelc", but we wrote it as "Oflick". I couldn't think of a good username when I signed up, so I used it because I was sure no one else would have it. Plus I didn't want to suffer the shame of getting the red message saying "sorry, that username is in use".

Cool story, bro.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

You made a skit about the Office of Film and Literature Classification?

I can see why that would be incredibly unfunny.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

Yeah, I understand. i was pretty bummed that there were 100 berlinchairs before me.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 29th Jul, 2013

Cool story, bro.

Yeah that's similar to how I chose my username.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Jul, 2013

I just really like The Morning After Girls. Well, I did in 2006, anyway.

gumbuoy said on the 29th Jul, 2013

I kinda liked the Morning After Girls EP I bought when they supported End Of Fashion. True story.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 29th Jul, 2013

i heard muse didn't want to tour but they heard quickly wasn't going to like a status so they caved in

tyler07 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

My friend is dragging me to Muse so looks like I'll be there. Beers with Shazie!

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Jul, 2013

Unless they're paying for your ticket, SAY NO!

tyler07 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

I've dragged him to a lot of gigs so I should return the favour I think. I'll enjoy everything they play up until the Twilight soundtrack.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 29th Jul, 2013

shazie is actually paying for muse hahahahh fuck

tyler07 said on the 29th Jul, 2013

The manyest beers possible! Woo!

December is actually so massive for tours in Aus - Muse, Fleetwood Mac, J Biebz, T-Swizzle, and Bon Jovi. Some massive names.

John Henry Eden

John Henry Eden said on the 31st Jul, 2013

with fleetwood being the only one that's any good.

Would be awesome if Muse did what Radiohead did and just did a best of set rather than their newer material.

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jul, 2013

They played 5 of the 8 songs on TKoL on average every night.

shazie said on the 31st Jul, 2013

with fleetwood being the only one that's any good.

Radiohead played around 6-7 song from the king of limbs era.

Edit : MAB is a quick one