• 20398
Image for Big Day Out 2013 lineup date, venues and more

Big Day Out 2013 lineup date,venues and more

THE 2013 LINE-UP IS JUST ANNOUNCED! HEAD HERE TO SEE IT.

The 2012 edition of Big Day Out marked 20 years for the veteran summer festival. But despite the obvious cause for celebration, this year’s event was a difficult one for the festival with longtime promoter partners Ken West and Viv Lees parting ways and the Adelaide and Perth legs of the tour unfortunately scaled-back.

But it seems BDO is coming back with a bang for 2013: the festival has announced that the full line-up for next year’s tour will be revealed on Monday July 16, at 12.01am. Given Big Day Out usually drops its line-up at the end of September, the unusually early reveal suggests the 2013 bill is packing plenty of punch – and rumour has it, we can look forward to a big Boiler Room contingent.

BDO has also confirmed the dates for the 2013 tour and revealed that tickets will go on sale from 7pm on Thursday July 19. Admission to the January event will set you back $165 a pop, an all-inclusive price that promises “no fees, no surprises, no kidding!” There’s also some good news for Adelaide and Perth punters: the 2013 event will return to the full show, after both cities missed out on headliners this year. So all in all, things are looking good for the next Big Day Out.

General Big Day Out tickets on sale:

Saturday 26 January – Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne
Monday 28 January – Claremont Showgrounds, Perth

Social

Comments

Hinee

Hinee said on the 8th Jul, 2012

This has me perplexed. How will they manage to keep the hype up for 6 months? Or is it basically assumed that it'll sell out in record time and have no need?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 8th Jul, 2012

They are spilling the whole lineup in one go, very unusual. maybe they even have a GOOD lineup this time?

berlinchair101 said on the 8th Jul, 2012

It's certainly very early.

Do you think it's to ensure that people don't blow all their cash on the now fairly loaded festival season before BDO time, or maybe to stop their own line up being hyped beyond any realistic achievement?

thunderbot

thunderbot said on the 8th Jul, 2012

so with bdo sydney on a friday does that mean they're looking to roll out another date on the saturday (which is free in the calendar) ?? ambitious!

crob said on the 8th Jul, 2012

Sydney's on a Friday... fuck that

Quicky

Quicky said on the 8th Jul, 2012

Early January will be a splurge of Falls and BDO sideshows. Yay for low funds at the moment.

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 8th Jul, 2012

It's this early because it's that big.

Bring it on.

Braveheart81 said on the 8th Jul, 2012

I'm guessing they want to avoid all conflict with Soundwave announcements and ticket sales.

Sounds like a smart move to me.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 8th Jul, 2012

i think they just want to get the lineup out there before the rumour mill goes out of control and people start having unrealistic expectations which leads to unfounded disappointment and lack of desire to buy tickets.

batdan

batdan said on the 8th Jul, 2012

Sounds like a smart move to me.

I agree, gives plently of people a chance to get in early before SW and Laneway are on the radar. I feel the line-up will be pretty strong too. Even if the rumour is true about RHCP being the headliner I think they will be backed up by plenty of top tier bands also.

Gutsy move by the BDO, I hope it pays off and they deliver a great festival.

gumbuoy said on the 8th Jul, 2012

Are you PREDICTING that's why they're doing it? Quick someone create a "why they're doing this predictions" thread!

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 8th Jul, 2012

umm pretty sure that's what everyone here is doing. sorry might be cos its monday morning but i have no idea what you're getting at there..........

berlinchair101 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Gutsy move by the BDO, I hope it pays off and they deliver a great festival.

Can someone please cook up another 'Nice Guy Batdan' image,

Braveheart81 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I still think RHCP is a big drawcard for a festival like BDO. For a festival where a lot of the fanbase are only casual music fans and go to one festival a year, they're exactly the sort of band that will shift tickets.

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

wasn't having a go at anyone, much less you specifically, more that FL has got to be just about the biggest source of lineup speculation and "predictions" on the entire internet.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Sounds like a smart move to me.

My feelings are it's probably a combination of those two things.

Or as a curve ball they could be in real need of a cash injection and you can't start selling tickets until the lineup is released.

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

If the lineups good and I have money, I might try for the pre-sale at Miranda. And by "might try", I mean I'll say to myself "you should buy tickets in the pre-sale", and then never get around to it.

I'm inclined to agree releasing the lineup this early may lead to all the hype being over by the time BDO comes around, but so long as people buy tickets it doesn't really matter.

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

If the lineup's good and I have money, fuck spending it on hanging out in a dustbowl on one of the hottest days of the year with a bunch'o'bogans.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Will be interesting to see who else is on the lineup other than RHCP. Usually the headliner is a big drawcard for me, and I can't stand RHCP (though I can understand that it's a good choice for the usual BDO fan).

Second tier acts is usually what makes and breaks a festival, and hopefully the BDO team can get it right this year.

ZePpLiNs666

ZePpLiNs666 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

From the looks of it, they might be considering to allow Melbourne to have a second show. Either that, or they are leaving a decent gap for the bands to go to Perth.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I don't think they are going to do a second show in any city.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

No chance there will be a second Melbourne show

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

There'll be two Auckland shows announced later.

tyler07 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Pissed that it's early and i'm broke as fuck!

But otherwise, i'm keen to see what the lineup is like. I thought the Lolapalooza lineup might've had more of an effect on the BDO lineup but alot of the bigger name acts (Jack White, Black Keys, Sigur Ros, ATD-I, etc) are already touring via other festivals and headlining tours. Happy to take The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino, and The Gaslight Anthem from their's though...

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Not many act on Lollapalooza that I want to see, that aren't already touring.

Piko

Piko said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Hrmm might head to the Gold Coast leg just for the hell of it. I have been before so I know how bad the crowd is but had fun there in the past. Also my boss will be away for the 3 weeks leading up to that and returning on the Monday following so I might just use it to blow off some stream and make a long weekend out of it.

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 9th Jul, 2012

[youtube]GiL_edSkntE[/youtube]

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

What I'd like, is I'd like to hug and kiss you.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I think it's a pretty smart move.

No other festival lineups being announced soon, so everyone will be talking/thinking BDO compared to last year's, where Swave announced at a similar time.

And the tickets go on sale soon after the announcement, so people will not lose interest and maybe also impulse buy tickets.

Also, the whole lineup is being announced in one hit, so it will sound like a really solid lineup, especially compared to last year's staggered lineup. And because BDO shows before last year's would always sell out quickly, this year will as well, if they have someone like RHCP and some other big names.

Just my two cents.

PS. By last year's, I meant the 2012 BDO.

haydendavies

haydendavies said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Does Perth usually sell out?

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Not sure, actually.
By sell out, I mean venues like Gold Coast and Sydney.

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I think it's a pretty smart move.

Just my two cents.

PS. By last year's, I meant the 2012 BDO.

The one announcement could work against them. If there is a second announcement, people might go "there's only a few bands I want to see. Well, I'll buy a ticket before it sells out, and hope for some more bands in the next announcement". Now they might just go "Only a few bands I want to see. I won't go".

I like to speculate about people's reaction to the lineup, not just the lineup.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th Jul, 2012

But there will also be a lot of retards who will be like:

'Yeah bro, lets get some tickets, they will do another announcement, trust me bro, they do it every year!'

Without doing any kind of research about whether there will be another announcement.
Remember that a lot of BDO punters aren't regular festival go-ers and will only go to BDO, so they won't be in the loop about music goss.

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I like to speculate about people's reaction to the lineup, not just the lineup.

Yes, but in that theory, the people who look at the whole lineup and decide not to go are the same people who, after buying a ticket after the first announcement, returned it after the second one didnt live up to what they wanted.

These people make their judgement on the whole lineup, it just depends whether they waste their time getting a ticket and returning it, or not. This actually saves them time.

nos235

nos235 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I didn't think you could return a ticket once bought? (except in special cicumstances)

tauiwi

tauiwi said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Instead of specualating about bands, what have we shifted to?
Speculating about ticket sales.

Nice try BDO, but speculators be speculatin'

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

What will people be speculating about next? Let's speculate!

Piko

Piko said on the 9th Jul, 2012

A lot of generalisation in this thread

Victim

Victim said on the 9th Jul, 2012

There's two posts from others in the BDO forum/thread on here that give a few clues as to the type of lineup there might be, that I thought might be worth putting in this thread as well for those that haven't seen it yet...

As we are tightening the run don’t hold your breath for the sideshows,” West states. “At Big Day Out we put a lot of planning and thought into making it a great festival experience, not one big travelling show with a heap of sideshows attached. We like the idea of people coming to the festival to see their favourite act and leaving having discovered their new favourite act. Also, it doesn’t make sense for us to put on huge sideshows for our headliners that compete for the same audience as the festival itself.”

The Big Day Out’s general ticket on-sale will be staggered on the evening of Thursday July 19. Tickets for the Sydney show will go on-sale from 7pm, followed by the Gold Coast and Perth (8.00pm local time), Melbourne (9.00pm) and Adelaide (9.30pm). 2012 also sees the introduction of the Like A Boss ticket. “This ticket is for the kind of person who wants something more from their festival, an experience that money can buy,” West reveals. “We hate VIP as a word, but we know some of our punters have been coming for many years to our show and deserve a chance for something extra, and then there are just those that are BOSS like in spirit and demand it.”

This year, the BDO will be avoiding the usual local festival bands for a new generation of acts. “While our support for local artists is as determined as ever, we are focusing much more on the new generation where appearing at the BDO really does make a world of difference; that and a couple of big Aussie acts that are saving all their energy for our audience.”

Source

CLUES (FROM BDO)

- 2 monster headliners

- 4 bands who have never toured Australia before

- 20 bands who have never played BDO before all with new releases out before the end of the year

Piko

Piko said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Could be very interesting

tyler07 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

2 MONSTER headliners you say...

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 9th Jul, 2012

for the love of all that is holy can someone please just pay the fucking money and bring out arcade fire. fuck.

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I've been resisting saying anything like this since the announcement date was set. But this sums up my thoughts exactly.

burgaa

burgaa said on the 9th Jul, 2012

anyone confirmed with the claremont city council that the plans have be approved?

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 9th Jul, 2012

i'm just gonna entertain the idea of klaxons, two door cinema club and sleigh bells. one can hope.

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I still enjoy that first Klaxons album

SO FUCK YOU ALL

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

At least I'm not having aids wished upon me this time.

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Jul, 2012

There is just so much aids one person can have I guess

tyler07 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I still enjoy that first Klaxons album

SO FUCK YOU ALL

Klaxons/you suck, bruuuuu

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 9th Jul, 2012

this is big day out we're talking about, they'd all fit in perfectly. it's not all about the headliners. klaxons live show was amazing at falls in 2010, sleigh bells have to be on a bill soon and two door cinema club have a new album around september, all likely contenders.

tyler07 said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I have Xan Valleys on CD so I did have a go with the Klaxons. Just couldn't get into it though.

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Jul, 2012

....I still feel the same way

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 9th Jul, 2012

myths of the near future won the mercury prize and is one of my favourite albums, surfing the void was rather average but may have just been sophomore syndrome. but i can't fault them as live performers. will have to wait and see how their third album being released this year turns out.

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Jul, 2012

........yeaaaaaaaah they are actually pretty shit live, they just have one good album

shazie said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Surfing the void has an awesome album cover though.

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I'm no doctor, but I'm gonna guess that's not actually the case :)

Oflick said on the 9th Jul, 2012

Magic Johnson down to just one aid

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Classic musicfeeds... Here's a really well put together list of BDO rumours...

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Jul, 2012

So you're still jamming Ms. Dynamite?

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

whats up with the Sydney not being on Australia day?
not sure if im happy there'll be less flag wearing wankers or unhappy cause it was pretty good last year on Australia day

also curious how melbourne people feel about it?
and whats up with the weird jumping around-ish schedule
Syd ->GC -> Adelaide -> Melbs -> Perth??????

Braveheart81 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

That was one of those years when they could have given the award to The Streets - Original Pirate Material, but decided instead to be quirky and different.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 10th Jul, 2012

and whats up with the weird jumping around-ish schedule
Syd ->GC -> Adelaide -> Melbs -> Perth??????

very interested to hear the justification behind this itinerary.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Losing sleep over it are ya, Sarcasm?

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 10th Jul, 2012

called in sick to work because of it.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Classic musicfeeds... Here's a really well put together list of BDO rumours...

Ha! that's pretty much every band rumoured/wish-listed on FL forum for every festival this year

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Totes controversial and shit.

I used to jam that "Tee hee" song or whatever it was called. Fifa playlists ftw.

ThatDude123 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

LEAKED LINEUP?

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Fake, poor punctuation, looks like a sticker applied to a official header.

gumbuoy said on the 10th Jul, 2012

didnt the organisers say this was exactly the kind of lineup they WEREN'T going to have any more? Still, would attend if SSPU, much to my disgust. Or maybe just go to the inevitable Sydney or Melbourne sideshow. Actually, probably that.

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

I think it looks believable... C'mon Refused and Gambino!

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 10th Jul, 2012

I hope Green Day play that song from Seinfeld.

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Come @ me Ramone, bruuuu

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

They misspelt Red Hot Chili Peppers, there's multiple bands whose names are split over two lines, the blue behind the text is a different colour to the rest of the poster.

Fucken n00bz, honestly

gumbuoy said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Also fakesign: no bluejuice, hilltop or living end.

Oflick said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Fucken n00bz, honestly

Don't be a pessimist. You say one band name is misspelt, I say forty band names are spelt correctly.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 10th Jul, 2012

i would actually masturbate during blur. like the whole time. not even kidding.

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

That Ramone, whatta cunt. I just wanted to believe Refused and Gambino were within my reach!

shazie said on the 10th Jul, 2012

These fake lineups are just being cruel. At least bdo are getting the lineup out early.

Napoleon Solo said on the 10th Jul, 2012

I have a lot of gullible facebook friends who believe that leak is legit.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

That fake one is both a better lineup and a better fake. But leaving it at "Ariel Pink" instead of "Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti" seems like a bit of a misstep.

luv u 2 bby xoxoxox

berlinchair101 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Why aren't NOFX in the headline spot?

These fakes are so easy to spot.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

You have Santos on facebook?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Didn't expect you to have any FL people, but a quick stalk debunks that. Ahhh, the wonders of facebook.

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

Wouldn't be surprised to see NOFX on the lineup and it would be fucking awwwwweeesome.

aliago

aliago said on the 10th Jul, 2012

This is the only believable lineup.

GrimFandango

GrimFandango said on the 10th Jul, 2012

that fake one is both a better lineup and a better fake. but leaving it at "ariel pink" instead of "ariel pink's haunted graffiti" seems like a bit of a misstep.

luv u 2 bby xoxoxox

didnt ariel pink break up his band on facebook recently?
or was that ariel pink just being ariel pink?

tyler07 said on the 10th Jul, 2012

This Ariel Pink character sure does think alot of himself for somebody that is extremely insignificant.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 10th Jul, 2012

didnt ariel pink break up his band on facebook recently?
or was that ariel pink just being ariel pink?

Oh really? I've no idea, I'm not really much of a fan of his stuff to be honest.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 11th Jul, 2012

and whats up with the weird jumping around-ish schedule
Syd ->GC -> Adelaide -> Melbs -> Perth??????

Not such a huge mystery, all they've done is chopped out the mid- BDO have two stages. Sydney and Melbourne would share one stage. GC, Adelaide and Perth the other. I imagine Melbourne is only on Saturday due to it Australia Day.

Oflick said on the 11th Jul, 2012

and whats up with the weird jumping around-ish schedule
Syd ->GC -> Adelaide -> Melbs -> Perth??????

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 11th Jul, 2012

Interesting, it's almost as though I wasn't really paying attention when I typed that. Here's take 2

Not such a huge mystery, BDO have two stages. Sydney and Melbourne would share one stage. GC, Adelaide and Perth the other. I imagine Melbourne is only on Saturday due to it being Australia Day.

To add to that, it's very similar to the Soundwave schedule, which seems to work pretty well.

batdan

batdan said on the 12th Jul, 2012

Meth will do that Hellboy. Glad you are clean now.