Image for Falls Festival and Southbound 2012 lineup: First announcement

Falls Festival and Southbound2012 lineup: Firstannouncement

The Falls Festival has announced the first handful of bands that will be on lineup in Lorne and Marion Bay to help us celebrate surviving the 2012 apocalypse.

While cults of New Age crystal worshipping folk are busy hiding in bunkers eating canned chickpeas, we’ll be dancing around in frog suits and ticker-tape with The Flaming Lips to bring in the New Year. If Wayne Coyne and his Fearless Freaks aren’t news enough, they’ll be joined by Beach House, Best Coast and SBTRKT for what is no doubt going to be one hell of a party.

Perth will also be getting a piece of the action with all these bands heading over West for Southbound Festival.

The festival is celebrating its twenty-year anniversary in Lorne and tenth anniversary in Tasmania and will be releasing the 80 artist strong lineup in a drip-feed bundling smaller artists with some of the bigger name bands to try to draw attention to the whole line-up rather than one or two headliners.

The promoters have also revealed that they’ll be announcing lineup as it’s booked and that only about a quarter of the final lineup have been locked in so far.

Falls Festival and Soutbound 2012 first lineup:

December 28th – January 1st, Lorne
December29th – January 1st, Marion Bay

Enter the ballot

Comments

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

call me insane, but i really want to see the sweet live, or whoever from the band is still touring. i know little about them :/

you're insane.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

everyone wants new exciting bands, can we please name some that would actually be worth booking for promoters that have a fanbase bigger than just die hard music fans that troll forums like this? realistic suggestions guys.

i'm not new to this, i've been reading it for years, but i don't really comment because i will be turned into crizz 2.0 i'm underage and live in tasmania (which is basically the same as nz)

took the words right out of my mouth. i think the hate towards recycled lineups is very very overrated.

if you keep posting comments as sensible as that i don't think anyone will have a problem with you. but stop mentioning you're from NZ. tasmania is what you call the south island right?

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Nobody dislikes The Sweet. Do they!? I think they would be perfect for a 4pm slot at Splendour. Them or John Farnham.

Nothing wrong with a novelty act everyone has heard of and can guiltily indulge in together.

I don't even know if the Sweet still tour, so please no one take this too seriously.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

anyway.. my take on things:

flaming lips - i'm not nearly educated enough to comment, but i've heard good things about them live.
beach house - indie pretentious bitches everywhere will be happy because that one song about zebras sounded kool on jjj
best coast - angsty indie bitches (including me) will be frothing.
the vaccines - saw them at bdo,quite solid, but not entirely amazing live, but keen for the new material.
sbtrkt - so fucking keen, great booking (especially considering virtually no one saw him over m83 at laneway)
coolio - lolworthy like young mc last year
boy & bear - you used to be cool but now you can eat my ass with a spoon.
sampology - splendour only put him in the tipi forest, surely that says something..

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

anyway.. my take on things:

best coast - angsty indie bitches (including me) will be frothing.
coolio - lolworthy like young mc last year
boy & bear - you used to be cool but now you can eat my ass with a spoon.

Sampology: it only said something about his then-current popularity. BDO put him on in the early afternoon Boiler Room. I suspect he'll keep growing in popularity for a good few years yet. I follow him in twitter and he certainly has no lack of work/fans.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

nobody dislikes the sweet. do they!? i think they would be perfect for a 4pm slot at splendour. them or john farnham.

nothing wrong with a novelty act everyone has heard of and can guiltily indulge in together.

i don't even know if the sweet still tour, so please no one take this too seriously.

that sounds like almost as bad an idea as jane's addiction at splendour last year.
i remember ads on tv within the past year for the sweet playing at the hobart casino which is the venue for bands targeting the few members of tasmania's aging population who don't have dementia. the only bands who play there are has beens who are touring for drug money.

therefor: the sweet are ****s

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

therefor: the sweet are ****s

Haha. Perhaps. But I think they wrote some killer songs in the 70s. Very underrated band. It was just dumb, poppy lite-rock. With mega hooks.

And in from Tasmania myself, and I saw Meatloaf at the Silverdome. Most bizarre, awesomely-ironic gig I've seen.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

he's in the tipi forest at the splendour that is this month, can you be any more current?
my view of sampology is a mediocre and cheap to book australian dj / mash up artist who falls have booked to make a falls nostalgia mash up and put lots of words next to his name so it looks like something worth seeing.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Hmm, sorry, I didn't realise he was In tipi again last year, I didn't see his name on the line up this year. I thought you were referring to 2010. My bad.

And yeah, sampology isn't a very exciting booking I agree.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

does anyone think there is a remote chance of sleigh bells playing falls? they did the falls/sunset sounds/sideshow thing in 2010/11 but missed marion bay due to a blizzard in new york and it was the first show of the tour. they have a new album and have improved live exponentially, so is it even a little bit possible for falls to book them again? i've spoken to them directly and they said they're doing 2 tours in australia on this album. i'm #1 fanboy by the way.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Like you said, at the start of the year they said they'd be coming twice, and they're not doing Splendour, so maybe that fell through, or their own tour didn't work out. But if they've played falls and enjoyed it, they could definitely be playing it again. Quite a few repeat performers frequent Falls.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

hmmmm.... they last played (all apart from marion bay) 2 years ago. generally if they repeat performers they wait 3 years. i'm just hopeful and trying to convince myself it will happen as they were the one band i was completely desperate to see at marion bay in 2010 at my first festival ever and the cancellation was announced 6 hours before they were due to play. i was wearing my fanboy shirt, pumped like never before and then that happened. needless to say i cried. i will impregnate alexis krauss one day.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

If there's no sideshows, I'm going to the Marion Bay Falls.

You know, coz The Flaming Lips are playing and all. I would also be happy if they came back every year

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

That's sucks dude. Well hopefully they play falls so you can see them. Otherwise you may have to fly and see em in Melbourne or something.

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

a) You're cute, if a little illegal.

b) These guys:

These guys:

Aaaaand these guys:

Jose Cuervo said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Wait you are in a band now?

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

I also have to add that it's a pretty great lineup for those areas even if the same bunch of people whinge about recycled acts. Flaming Lips played Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Byron Bay on their last 2 tours here and this time they're playing in Melbourne (pretty far out of Melbourne at that) as well as two other very remote cities.

Jose Cuervo said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

That is one sexual beard though.....that is a lush and beautiful growth

#homo

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

using my face here was an amateur mistake apparently. so, who are those bands? apart from alabama shakes in the middle i recognize.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

i see tits and cats. the top one may as well be best coast.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Silversun Pickups and Cloud Nothings.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Nothing Rhymes With Alabama.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

okay, i definitely second them. but i expect them at harvest and laneway.
i'm now hoping for:

cloud control
hermitude
last dinosaurs
dune rats
flume

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Yeah, misogyny makes you less cute. Not sure if that's what you were going for but I want to fuck you less now.

rijnsburgr

rijnsburgr said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

that wasn't actually misogyny. i actually love best coast, have quite a few hundred plays for them on last.fm. i just thought it was too good an opportunity at what i consider humour. but please don't start fucking me (again).

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Must be a young people thing.

And don't worry, I'll be gentle.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Stinks like semen, sweat and spit in here. Why us there no toilet paper left?

gumbuoy said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Wow, this thread got out of control yesterday, huh.

Meanwhile, I can't believe you all missed this little gem.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

No one here gives new posters a hard time for being new posters. Newest poster in this thread is Oflick - ask if he(?) was given a tough time for being new.

Everyone gets a hard time for posting something stupid, being new has nothing to do with it.

I said a few stupid things in my time, enjoyed the reaction & moved on. This thread has become pop corn reading overnight however

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

You're at least tolerable now, you used to be really aggressively stupid.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Yeah I'm actually disappointed with the lack of Michael Jackson in this thread.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 4th Jul, 2012

I really hope a lot of you stayed late at work just to argue over the internet yesterday

Braveheart81 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

I missed all the arguing because I was in a meeting yesterday afternoon. What a disappointment.

craig123

craig123 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

These threads aren't as common as they used to be ... but still worth the read.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 4th Jul, 2012

I found this the best read ever while having breakfast this morning!

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Haha thanks MAB I like you too

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 4th Jul, 2012

thread needs moar RustyinBondi

Braveheart81 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Rustyinbondi isn't going anywhere near Falls Festival.

With Coolio playing, the whole event will be a Gangster's Paradise and crime will be rampant.

Braveheart81 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Sorry, I'm more Jon Lovitz in High School High than Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 4th Jul, 2012

I liked it for your choice of high school high

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Thread got a little unexpectedly creepy towards the end. Surprisingly didn't see that coming?

Oflick said on the 4th Jul, 2012

No, that was the Harvest thread. This one just got confusing.

tyler07 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

What an awesome trainwreck of a thread.

But more on topic (or maybe not, I've sort of lost track), would attend a fair priced Best Coast sidey.

Napoleon Solo said on the 4th Jul, 2012

call me insane, but I really want to see The Sweet live, or whoever from the band is still touring. I know little about them :/

This was actually posted and no attempt to delete it was made. I hope your family cares enough to organise an intervention, lay off the sauce.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 4th Jul, 2012

I stand by the band who wrote Ballroom Blitz.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Wow, this thread got out of control yesterday, huh.

Meanwhile, I can't believe you all missed this little gem.

Wow. What an abortion of a sentence.

But, it's my only regret from yesterday.

That, and missing the Hitchiker's reference.....twice.

Jose Cuervo said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Brown_Sugar

Brown_Sugar said on the 4th Jul, 2012

just got beach houses latest lp and it's tops. let's hope i get lucky in the ballot, if not will just see a sideshow...

pez-dispenser

pez-dispenser said on the 6th Jul, 2012

first drip & i'm already hooked...vaccines..4 tickets pleeease!!

longorange

longorange said on the 6th Jul, 2012

okay, i definitely second them. but i expect them at harvest and laneway.
i'm now hoping for:

the xx
hot chip
foals
totally enormous extinct dinosaurs

Doubt XX will come out considering they are playing this month. They said they will come back in 2013. Probably for Laneway.

Foals would be a long shot. They are still recording their album. I reckon it will be a while till we see them on our shores again

T.E.E.D did say he will make it up to the falls people for cancelling by playing 2012. Whether that lines up for his schedule remains to be seen.

Hot Chip would be awesome

No way. The SBTRKT stage was fucking packed at laneway. Was just about the biggest/most packed in crowd I saw all day.

He absolutely killed it as well. Doesn't specify whether it's a DJ or Live set though? Hopefully live.

sdaa

sdaa said on the 9th Jul, 2012

teed is happening. met him in brooklyn and he's itching to come/it's booked. he had to cancel last time because his label wasn't happy about the delays on the album because of touring.

sdaa

sdaa said on the 9th Jul, 2012

and sbtrkt have stated it's the last live run of shows for this album.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 9th Jul, 2012

I have information saying that either The Wombats or Maximo Park will play.

gumbuoy said on the 9th Jul, 2012

BREAKING NEWS: Living End, Bluejuice and Hilltop Hoods to play tribute to Bob Dylan's unreleased hiphop album, Blonde on Blonde on mah Dick.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 11th Jul, 2012

Another announcement being made this afternoon at 5pm on the Doctor's show.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 12th Jul, 2012

And there we go my wish was granted. Would really like sideshows from BBC, Hot Chip and Maximo Park :)

pez-dispenser

pez-dispenser said on the 14th Jul, 2012

loving the latest splash!!! maximo park...hot chip & hilltop.... saw hilltop last time they were at falls & my lord it was merry!!! how many more announcements should we expect??? i'm stinging to know everythingg!!!

01seb

01seb said on the 18th Jul, 2012

Of Monsters and Men pretty much confirmed then?

So I’ve heard your coming back to Australia in December? Is this true?

All – Yeh

Bryjar - Probably

Arnar - No we are coming

Raggi - I think its almost confirmed

Arnar – I think its more confirmed then not confirmed

Tonight's show by them was amazing btw, can't wait to see them again!

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 18th Jul, 2012

Good stuff I am seeing them Friday

shazie said on the 18th Jul, 2012

Thank god they're coming back, hopefully they do a sideshow!

pez-dispenser

pez-dispenser said on the 24th Jul, 2012

i vote for falls!!!! :)
never fails to please!

anonymousguy90

anonymousguy90 said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Just Announced: Two Door Cinema Club, The Hives, Django Django, Sharon Van Etten, Angus Stone, Ball Park Music, Cosmo Jarvis, Lisa Mitchell, Matt Corby, Ash Grunwald, Jinja Safari & Willis Earl Beal!

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Matt Corby will keep the kiddos happy.

Jose Cuervo said on the 5th Aug, 2012

I keep missing Cosmo Jarvis when he is has been out here dammit, lets not make it a 3rd time

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Guess I'll be trying for a Falls ticket then. Any announcement yet on how Marion Bay and Lorne schedules will differ?

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Really want a Hives sideshow somewhere tiny. OAF would be incredible.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 5th Aug, 2012

What's the first step down from the Enmore, in regards to size? That's probably what they'd be looking at, or the Enmore again.

This is just an assumption based off the Splendour sideshows - Melbourne's Palace show wasn't very full and that was after being downgraded from Festy.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Only that Willis Earl Beal is only playing Lorne. Boo. Everyone else seems to be both shows at this stage.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Aug, 2012

I love the Enmore, but I'd love them to just own a tiny room with an instant sell-out, a la Joan Jett a few years ago.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 5th Aug, 2012

I vaguely recall FLips being mentioned as the Lorne NYE headliner, but I'm not sure how much I trust my memory on that.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Aug, 2012

The Hi-Fi. I'd say that seems like a fair guess.

I'd say they would play there or the Metro.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Aug, 2012

I've only been there once and I can already. No barrier. Pelle shattering eardrums and blowing minds.

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Aug, 2012

The Hives played a sold out show at The Metro a few years ago which was an incredible gig. I've never seen the place so packed and so sweaty. It was right around New Years. Did they play Falls a few years ago?

Pelle had the crowd eating out of his hand. It was a superb gig.

Lucan

Lucan said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Geatest show I've ever attended was their Corner gig. Topped the Corner's own list of greatest all time gigs too.

So very excited and will see The Hives at whichever venue they go with.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 5th Aug, 2012

So very excited and will see The Hives at whichever venue they go with.

My brother went to that, always raves about it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Pelle had the crowd eating out of his hand. It was a superb gig.

That was their Falls sideshow. I was bummed that I missed out on tickets to both that and Santigold, which were on the same night.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Aug, 2012

Pelle had the crowd eating out of his hand. It was a superb gig.

I have a friend who went to that show with her boyfriend not knowing who they were and came out obsessed with them.

Their Tyrannosaurus Hives show at the Enmore was one of my favourite shows I've ever been to.

They really are an amazing live band.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 6th Aug, 2012

Mother flippin hives!!! Get back from NY a few days before hopefully I can afford falls too

humanracin

humanracin said on the 6th Aug, 2012

Cosmo Jarvis Brizzy show hopefully.

batdan

batdan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I won the Ballot!!!!!!!

I'm not going :(

batdan

batdan said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Old person joke is old.

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Aug, 2012

The kids are hip, batdan just got his replaced.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I got a ballot thing too!

Still debating whether to actually go or not :/

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

I won as well... now to gather a group / make sure everyone I want to see isn't on the Field Day lineup...

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

be there topaz, scooter will be there crunk with 9 others

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Don't think I can afford it to be honest. And I haven't got any friends interested either. Sideshows for me most likely.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

Ah I can't afford it either I get back from New York 4 days before

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 7th Aug, 2012

What...

WHAT???

WHAT WHAt What!!!!!

Oflick said on the 7th Aug, 2012

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!?!?

anonymousguy90

anonymousguy90 said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Another lineup installment coming tomorrow

There are 150 more comments. View them all