Image for Splendour reveal future plans: “We would like to broaden its appeal"

Splendour reveal future plans:“We would like to broadenits appeal"

Splendour In The Grass organiser Jessica Ducrou has told FL that she and her business partner Paul Piticco have grand plans for the evolution of Splendour. In years to come they hope to grow the festival from the event we know today to something with much broader appeal: more genres, less predictable bands and an integrated kids festival.

In an interview with FL earlier this week Ducrou spoke with great excitement about the prospect of moving to the new Yelgun site next year, which will enable the event to evolve into more than just a music festival: “We want to see Splendour grow into the event that it should be, in the years to come” she revealed. “And we’ve been working for a long time getting an appropriate venue to do that, and we would absolutely like to broaden its appeal. And that doesn’t just mean whether we have a pop headliner [like Kanye West] or not, it’s everything from musical genre to demographic to what you’re experiencing when you’re at the show. I’d like to think that we were more than just a musical festival.”

She also revealed what direction we can expect Splendour to move in over the next decade, “Less triple j orientated artists. Whether we decide to put on more jazz or country…I’m keen on developing a kids festival within the festival and trying to broaden our appeal from your 7 to 70 year-olds…to try and not be that typical 20-something event.”

“It’s more challenging to us as producers,” she continued. “I like to think that it’s Splendour’s commitment to you, for three, four days, however long you are around to get the most out of it. It does get a little tiring just watching bands the whole time so we want to offer other entertainment for people.”

Stay tuned to FL for the full interview with Jessica Ducrou in which she discusses plans for the new Yelgun site, lessons learnt from last year’s event and what we can expect from Jack White and At The Drive-In this July.

Comments

craig123

craig123 said on the 28th Jun, 2012

looking forward to entire interview.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Jun, 2012

Splendour figures they only need to find three more Craig's and they have enough kids to hold the integrated kids festival.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 28th Jun, 2012

This sounds like a dangerous direction, JJJ people spend money on festivals...and whilst I disagree with lots that triple J plays, in the end they play a fair few bands that I like.

gumbuoy said on the 28th Jun, 2012

I'm interested in the full interview, but I'm struggling with why they need to broaden it? If they take it to the new venue, and it still sells out on the JJJ/indie-oriented lineup, why are they concerned with getting different people there?

dtucker1

dtucker1 said on the 28th Jun, 2012

i'm a 57 year old who's very happy with the current format and like the jjj oriented line-up. i go to other festivals to see different types of music and see no reason for splendour to change. i also disagree that it gets tiring listening to bands the whole time. however, i see no problems with adding to existing format, just don't take away from what's there at present.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 28th Jun, 2012

Yeah but dont throw your money away doing stupid cheesey kids play ground shit and novelty music on the side because maybe 1% of people will care about that. Just put out a good mid order set of bands and you will keep selling out. If you are going to make anythng better make the food and drinks better. Falls had the most delicious hari krishna stand, those guys rocked

craig123

craig123 said on the 28th Jun, 2012

not condoning the cheesy kids playgrounds by any means - they shit me to tears when i have to take mine to them, but increasing your brand to wider demographic is a smart move for a festival that is once a year.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 28th Jun, 2012

I'm really hoping this has been paraphrased to all buggery, because I really don't understand one iota why Splendour would ever deviate away from it's JJJ roots?

gumbuoy said on the 28th Jun, 2012

only if the festival isn't selling out with its existing brand/demographic. Otherwise you're just annoying your existing customers and not rewarding their loyalty.

craig123

craig123 said on the 29th Jun, 2012

this years festival (imo) sold out due to reduced capacity and lineup - always did at Belongil. Double the size again and prices go up I don't necessarily think a sell out is guaranteed. So whilst we don't know the full details of what the next phase of SITG may hold - we havent had a Yelgun event yet - i dont think any plans to change are going to happen in the next 12 months. But the real question is why not reward loyal customers and expand the brand - this isn't impossible.

01seb

01seb said on the 29th Jun, 2012

I could see them expanding Splendour in future years when the capacity gets up to 40 or 50 thousand after a few years at Yelgun, especially since they are going to have so much extra room. But I think at the moment they should be focused on making sure they get the first few years at Yelgun right.

I think going down the Glasto route would be pretty cool. They wouldn't really need to change the 3 main stages though. Put on a new Jazz stage, incorporate a Kids Field, expand the markets area and have a few different late night options and it would be awesome.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jun, 2012

They would either need to ditch the tent idea at the main stage or make it much bigger if they were going to dramatically increase the size of the festival.

No matter how many stages you have, if you have a 50k person festival, you need to be able to cater to 30k+ at the main stage.

01seb

01seb said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Well I'm pretty sure the main stage will be outdoors like it was at Woodford again. Woodford amphitheatre held around 20 000 I think, and with the much bigger site at Yelgun they should be able to easily double that. I'd like them to make the GW Tent bigger too, currently it doesn't fit more than a couple of thousand.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 29th Jun, 2012

She actually talked about this with me...all will revealed!

01seb

01seb said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Good to hear. Is the full interview being put up next week?

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 29th Jun, 2012

I'm all for Splendour expanding to become a sort of mini-Glastonbury in terms of what it offers in addition to the music, but I wouldn't want to see the festival deviate too far from its roots with regards to lineups. I think the 2010 lineup had the perfect amount of crossover appeal to attract a wider audience whilst still catering to the festival's long-term fans. I personally think the 2011 lineup also achieved this, although the ticket sales would indicate otherwise, which I can only attribute to the seeming reality that a large number of people are still repelled by the concept of a 'pop' headliner.

Piko

Piko said on the 1st Jul, 2012

I have to say Andy, Artists like Kanye and Coldplay leached a lot of the money for the lineup I think and when someone didnt care about seeing either of those acts it caused many people to go elsewhere. They would really need to keep the midway balance if they want to bring in a huge headliner. I am curious of their plans but as long as they learn from last year I don't think this could go too wrong. Famous last words.

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Jul, 2012

I think they should have Kanye every year.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 1st Jul, 2012

[rustyinbondi]but that gayfish negro ruins festivals!!![/rustyinbondi]

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 2nd Jul, 2012

This is definitely a valid point, although I didn't really think the 2011 mid-card was that much weaker than 2010 (and IMO is much stronger than this year's).