Image for Harvest promise: No repeat of the "major cock-ups" of the 2011 festival

Harvest promise: No repeat ofthe "major cock-ups" of the2011 festival

Tickets for the 2012 edition of the Harvest Festival go on sale next Thursday 28th June and although the festival has again delivered an impressive lineup that includes long awaited return visits from Beck and Sigur Ros many punters in Melbourne may be a little hesitant about buying their tickets and making another trip down to Werribee in November.

Despite the glorious sunshine and a stunning set from Portishead, the mention of last year’s Harvest festival debut in Melbourne is more likely to lead to a grumble about queues, drink tickets and queues for drink tickets than a fond memory of seeing TV On the Radio or dancing like a fool with Hypnotic Brass. FasterLouder’s festival review noted that the festival, for all it’s many positives, suffered from “a triple-crown of shoddy on-site logistics” – queues for food, drinks and toilets – created some issues to distract from the incredible music of the day.

Festival promoter and Twitter addict AJ Maddah made several comments about the logistical issues during the event promising to examine “the whole fucked up situation” and later admitted that “At the end of the day I take responsibility for any & all issues. Just expressing my frustration at the time. There were serious problems and they’ll need to be addressed.”

This year, the festival promoters promise, will be a very different story.

This morning FasterLouder spoke to festival co-promoter Declan Forde and asked how two experienced festival promoters allowed the amenities issues to occur in Melbourne. As an experienced festival campaigner with his hand in several festivals in Ireland including Electric Picnic, Forbidden Fruit, Body & Soul and Liss Ard, Forde explained “There’s not a whole lot I can say other than to promise that it won’t happen again. It’s a source of deep embarrassment and it most definitely won’t happen again. We’re very conscious that we’ll be forgiven once for mistakes but we won’t be forgiven again for something like that and the whole team is very, very conscious of that.”

“We feel that what we’re doing with Harvest is a little bit different from what’s gone on with other festivals in Australia. Not vastly different, but a little bit different. The Australian festival market is quite saturated with festivals that just offer a handful of music stages and a few toilets and bars – rather than an actual ‘festival’. We feel that Harvest is about the absolute experience for the punter from the moment they arrive on site to the moment they leave – and that’s what we’re trying to sell. That is meant to be reflected through the quality of the whole event. That means a beautiful experience through the nature of the sites, the décor on the sites which we add to enhance that, the quality of the food, the quality and range of drinks, and last – and most certainly not least – the quality and range of the bands and the quality of the production. Each of the three legs we were very happy with barring some major cock-ups at the Melbourne leg which will be easily remedied. They will be remedied this year.”

AJ Maddah has also declared, on Twitter of course, that “As for amenities, I have taken control of these personally and will be micro-managing every aspect.”

Following the issues in Melbourne last year the Harvest crew announced that everyone who attended Harvest in 2011 will be considered a ‘Foundation Member’ and as long as the event runs will have first right to tickets. Harvest has promised to release the details of the foundation member pre-sale in the next week.

Check out our live preview of Harvest 2012 here – set lists, live footage and what to expect when Beck, Grizzly Bear, Sigur Ros and more land on shores later this year.

Harvest Festival 2012:
Sunday 11th November – Werribee Park, Melbourne
Saturday 17th November – Parramatta Park, Sydney
Sunday 18th November – Riverstage, Brisbane

Tickets on sale Thursday 28th June at 9am.

Social

Comments

Bandolier

Bandolier said on the 21st Jun, 2012

what about the faux hipster poignancy signs? has he promised no repeat of those?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I'd prefer them to promise that Bat For Lashes is on the next announcement...

atlien90

atlien90 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

i'm sick to death of the complaints about that festival. it was easily the best i've ever been to. i can understand complaints for queues for female toilets, and complaints for queues for food/water, but i will smack upside the head the next person who whinges about waiting in line for alcohol causing them to miss some bands. i remember one bloke complaining on facebook he missed the national's entire set because he was queuing to buy alcohol. if that isn't the height of human stupidity, i don't know what is. hopefully these morons don't come back. more room for real fans.

Oflick said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Yeah I lack empathy for people who bitch about alcohol at festivals.

"I had to wait in line for one hour to buy mid-strength beer! It cost me $12! I ended up having to spend over $100 on alcohol! THE FESTIVAL WAS SHIT! What do they expect from me? To go a whole 10 hours without drinking? I'm not God, I can't meet these requirements!"

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

drink and queue, you lose

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Yeah I lack empathy for people who bitch about alcohol at festivals.

"I had to wait in line for one hour to buy mid-strength bear! It cost me $12! I ended up having to spend over $100 on alcohol! THE FESTIVAL WAS SHIT! What do they expect from me? To go a whole 10 hours without drinking? I'm not God, I can't meet these requirements!"

To be fair, a mid-strength bear is a lot safer in a festival environment than a full strength one.

jana80

jana80 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

as opposed to full strength bears?

edit: damn, typo picked up lol

edit #2 - dammit BC! lol

Oflick said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Damn it, you quoted me before I fixed my spelling fuck up.

But I'm all for mid-strength. I thought it was clear I was joking, but I've now switched it to magenta so that it's obvious.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 21st Jun, 2012

In all honesty I'd rather just not drink then settle for mid strength

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Jun, 2012

What's all this bear talk?

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 21st Jun, 2012

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I'd prefer a full strength bear *

* I'm not talking about beer

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Whilst I completely agree that the guy is an idiot for standing in a queue for an hour and missing an entire set of a band he wanted to see, I think the complaint is perfectly reasonable.

Food and drinks whether they are alcoholic or not are part of the amenities provided at an event.

Wanting to enjoy a few beers whilst at a music festival doesn't make you less of a music fan than someone who doesn't. It's a pretty childish opinion to think that anyone wanting to have an alcoholic drink is only doing so so they can get drunk.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

that went on way too long

gumbuoy said on the 21st Jun, 2012

The thing is, though, it's really easy to spot the people who went to get drunk instead of going for music.

Went for music complaint: "I was in a lineup for ages and then had to give up my spot to go see a band, wasted my time in the queue!" - Legitimate.

Went for drinking complaint: "I was in a lineup for ages and missed a band I really wanted to see." - Moron.

The people who went for music have my sympathy. The people who went for drinking can go DIAF.

Brian B

Brian B said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I also don't understand the business logic of the organisers.
Set yourself up to sell more, and you make more money from the event.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

acid: no queues and everything sparkles!

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Yeah, but it makes standing in the queue for beer even more frustrating.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I just drink the dregs from the cans in the bin. No queues at the bins. Shop Smart.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I couldn't fault the Brisbane show in a single regard. The quality of bands and punters made it easily my favourite single day festival.

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

The Sydney festival was well run as well. A couple more food options would have been nice, but not essential.

The only thing that really annoyed me was Flaming Lips starting really late and then them starting Portishead late (on a different stage) as a result.

A simple announcement at Flaming Lips saying that Portishead would start late due to the delay would have prevented many people leaving Flips early and then having to stand at wait for Portishead to start as well.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Yep Brisbane was an amazing day, no stuff ups

Oflick said on the 21st Jun, 2012

That's like Soundwave Sydney in 2010 where the main stage was running about forty minutes late and I left Anthrax to see Jane's Addiction. I would have been able to watch all of Anthrax's set if only I had known how far behind the main stage was running. Of course, first world problems once again.

How far away were the stages last year by the way? How much time is needed to get between them?

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Those two stages were the furthest apart and it would have been a five minute stroll at most.

It wasn't a case of one stage running late all day or anything. It all happened prior to the Flaming Lips starting.

I guess you generally don't expect a festival to hold up one stage because another stage is running late.

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

What's worse about that is that you had to watch Janes Addiction at the end of it all.

batdan

batdan said on the 21st Jun, 2012

They weren't that bad in Adelaide. I nearly died of dehyration during Anthrax and then had to run over to JA.

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I was so bummed out by them in Sydney.

Maybe they were having an off day?

Oflick said on the 21st Jun, 2012

That seems to be the general view. Quite a few of the reviews I read said they were poor at Soundwave but good at their sideshow.

I didn't mind them, but their show wasn't anything special.

neuroticwill

neuroticwill said on the 21st Jun, 2012

I would still go to Harvest even if they explicitly promised many more cock-ups this year.

Piko

Piko said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Being a half yob that loves music. I enjoy live music more when I am drunk. Thats just the way it is. It sets off my spidey music senses.

Ask Jose, I won't go to a gig and not drink. Hell I refused to review a band once because I saw them when I was sober and didnt think that I would give them a fair review lol.

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Was turning your skin bright red in the sun also part of setting off your spidey music senses?

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Jun, 2012

Piko gets sunburnt during winter.

junglekittens

junglekittens said on the 22nd Jun, 2012

I'd prefer them to promise that Bat For Lashes is on the next announcement...

HELL YEAH and add onto that announcement patti smith, silversun pickups & pond as well and you've got yourself a deal!

When is this second announcement people?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 25th Jun, 2012

I'd prefer them to promise that Bat For Lashes is on the next announcement...

When is this second announcement people?

I'd love Patti Smith, but think she is way too big for a second announcement
and Beck & Sigur Ros are the headliners, there isn't going to be anyone bigger than those
Band Of Horses have a new album out in September, they would be a nice addition... along with Silversun Pickups and Bat For Lashes.

Highroad001

Highroad001 said on the 25th Jun, 2012

people actually queue for alcohol at a festival? I would never queue for alcohol, and at the least at a god damn music festival. Australians really need to try new drugs

gumbuoy said on the 25th Jun, 2012

I was under the impression that the 2nd announcement will be only Australian acts, kinda like a supporting announcement.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 25th Jun, 2012

TV On The Radio & Mogwai were on the 2nd round last year.

gumbuoy said on the 25th Jun, 2012

I'm not comparing it to last year, I'm basing it on what AJ has said, which is that the second announcement will be all about the Aus acts.

Oflick said on the 25th Jun, 2012

When did he say it would be all Australian acts? I'm pretty sure he said all Australian acts would be in the second announcement, but not that it would only be Australian acts.

01seb

01seb said on the 25th Jun, 2012

‏@alexjcks
@iamnotshouting Will a second announcement for Harvest happen as it did last year? More big acts?

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting
@alexjcks Yes, there will be a 2nd announcement. And there will be an artist or 2 you may have heard of! :)

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Jun, 2012

Van She and Art vs Science.

tyler07 said on the 25th Jun, 2012

I don't know if it's actually been posted anywhere but tickets are $160.

grattan said on the 25th Jun, 2012

+ booking fee
+ postage
+ 5-7% from the 1st of July.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 25th Jun, 2012

Any update on the presale for people who bought tickets last year?

Thought there would be something on that by now seeing general public goes on sale this Thursday.

Oflick said on the 25th Jun, 2012

If anyone's interested, the second announcement will include both international and local acts.

Terr ‏@truthdolie
@iamnotshouting hi punter, any chance of having Warpaint@harvest Are there only Aussie bands on 2nd Announcement...s?

AJ @iamnotshouting
@truthdolie 2nd announce will be a mix of international and local.

And from another tweet it would seem he's no longer pissed off at Foxy Shazam. I doubt they'd be in the second announcement, but I can dream.

jana80

jana80 said on the 26th Jun, 2012

I like the membership card idea for foundation members, and free ticket postage forever :)

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Jun, 2012

Soundwave foundation members get a wallet chain and a punch in the dick.

grattan said on the 26th Jun, 2012

Who wants to join my new ska band Wallet Chain and the Dick Punchers?