Harvest Festival 2012 lineuphas landed

Check out our live preview of Harvest Festival 2012 – set lists, live footage and what to expect when Beck, Grizzly Bear, Sigur Ros and more land on shores later this year.

Following on from its spectacular debut last year Harvest Festival will return with one hell of a lineup this November.

While we tried our darndest to place odds on some likely contenders, the official lineup has now been revealed and with the likes of Beck and Santigold on the bill, Harvest Festival 2012 will no doubt have the indie masses polishing brogues and de-pithing cardigans in unadulterated delight.

While the Melbourne leg of last year’s festival was plagued by issues such as parking and long drink lines, the inaugural event was widely considered a success, with our Brisbane reviewer concluding: “Harvest turned out one of the best curated Australian festivals of 2011, immaculate in its execution and in turn having drawn the kind of punter you don’t want to smack in the mouth.”

The 2012 Harvest Festival lineup:

Sunday 11th November – Melbourne – Werribee Park
Saturday 17th November – Sydney – Parramatta Park
Sunday 18th November – Riverstage, Brisbane

Comments

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 19th Sep, 2012

can you let me know how you go gumbuoy? I'm sure it is legit as I got the email too, but yeah its not very authentic looking

shazie said on the 19th Sep, 2012

Considering it's from "newsletters@news.oztix.com.au" and I've received countless emails from them, I'm not too worried about it.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 19th Sep, 2012

ah yes I didn't read that obvious clue haha

Piko

Piko said on the 19th Sep, 2012

So guys, I am assuming you don't get multiple memberships for yourself, so if you purchased more than 1 ticket via membership.. the other person gets membership also even if they didnt attend last year?

Kind of liked the idea of me being able to buy 2 tickets every year on presale.

Lucan

Lucan said on the 27th Sep, 2012

Mondo Cane sideshow at the Regent theatre. Tues 12th November.

Tickets on sale tomorrow 9am.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 30th Sep, 2012

Saw 'Winter People' for my second time last night. I think they will do really well at Harvest they are a superb, tight band with a deep and beautiful arrangement of strings. Their album was produced in the company of the national and interpol and you can see that coming through. If you have never heard of them and plan on getting to Harvest early check them out. Bought the album last night and have enjoyed it thoroughly so far.

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Sep, 2012

Did you get there in time for Founds? One of the best bands in Oz right now.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 30th Sep, 2012

Nah I was kinda dissapointed to miss them was too drunk to be organised, I have been aware of them for quite a while but have never seen them live. Will definitely check them out next time I get the chance, cheers for the recomendation MAB.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Exam timetable just came out:

Revenue Law Saturday 17/11/2012 8:30:00 AM to 11:30:00 AM

Fucking hell! I can still make it to Harvest, just might miss the first few bands. Hopefully no bands I want to see are on in the morning. Los Campesinos probably will be if they don't clash with anyone.

Time to start bothering AJ on twitter.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Unlucky, all my exams fit nicely around my shows, the worst I have is a 4:30pm exam the day after Radiohead.

01seb

01seb said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

AJ just said on twitter that Harvest timetables will be out this weekend...

So they likely won't be out for 2 more weeks then.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Ah that's good news for you then. 4:30 the day after Radiohead isn't anything to worry about, so you definitely got lucky with your exams.

AJ's trying to get the timetable released by this weekend: https://twitter.com/iamnotshouting/status/253371468199645184

Main bands I'm hoping to see are SSPU, Los Campesinos, Grizzly Bear, Beck, and Sigur Ros. I'll guess all but Los Campesinos will be main stage from mid afternoon. Los Campesinos are really my only worry. Kind of hoping if they clash with anyone they clash with Grizzly Bear or Beck because those two are doing Sydney sideshows. Worst case scenario they play too early in the morning for me to make it.

Ah well, shit happens. Total first world problem.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Ah well, shit happens. Total first world problem.

Yeah I'm definitely not complaining, I'm stoked with my timetable.

How long's your exam? 2 hours?
Yeah I don't think you'll miss any of those bands except Los Campesinos probably.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

It's three hours. 8:30-11:30. A bit harsh putting an exam on at 8:30 in the morning when people have to travel from all over to get to uni.

But yeah, once it's done I'll be a bit late but still be able to make a good day of it. I'll have to figure out the quickest route from uni to Harvest. Estimating I'd get in there by about 2:30 at the latest. I'll probably put more thought into this then the exam itself (hence my average marks).

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Oh, I misread it and thought you said it started at 11:30.

8:30 is pretty harsh, worst exam I had was at 7pm on a Saturday night :/

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Saturdays should be off limits to universities and schools.

shazie said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Just looked at my exam timetable, Oflick are you at UTS?

Good news, No clashes with Harvest, Radiohead and other concerts during the exam period!

Bad news:

On one of my days, I have a 2 hour exam and then 1.5 hours later I have a 3 hour exam. That has to be breaking some kind of uni policy.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Nah I'm at the University of Western Sydney.

I remember reading how my uni has a policy against exams being too close, but it may have only been an hour or so. An hour and a half is still an unfairly short gap.

shazie said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Haha I've got a mate doing law there as well, assuming you're doing law and not just a law subject for business.

Just re-read the UTS policy and it seems they only care if there are 3 exams in a 24 hour period. I can understand having 2 exams in one day, nothing new, but not that close. Especially when they're my 2 hardest exams.

Ah well I guess I'm forgetting the most important part of all this, I don't have to worry about bailing exams early! Hopefully you finish your exam early and can make it only missing about 2 slots of bands.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Yeah, I'm doing law. And I'm thinking of doing a radical thing and studying hard for this exam haha. I won't be aiming to finish early, though. This is probably the hardest exam I have, so I suspect I'll be using the whole three hours.

Anyway, my plan so far is to drive to uni, do exam, finish exam (11:30), drive back home (arrive roughly 12:10), board bus to parramatta (somewhere between 12:30 and 1), and get there when I get there. I'm not sure how long the bus trip is, or how far away from the venue the bus stops. I'll have to really work this out. Who'd have thought going to a festival would involve this much planning?

shazie said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Just hide under a pile of coats and hope everything works out

Quicky

Quicky said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

Central to Parramatta then walk to Parramatta Park? Cloak your bag and pick it up at the end?

bjw1

bjw1 said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

westmead station is closer to parramatta park, isn't it?

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

If I go home after uni then I might just get a bus to Parramatta. If I go straight from uni I'll get train to Padstow and then bus to Parramatta. Or maybe train to central, then train to Parramatta.

FUCK!!!! I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT THIS RESPONSIBILITY!!!!! THIS IS WAY TOO HARD I'M GOING TO GO CRY!!!! ALL CAPS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

I have one exam that is on a Monday morning before the end of November then I am done for 2012. Woo

Braveheart81 said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

You guys are convincing me that I don't want to go back to Uni.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

I dunno man... It sounds like they must usually have it pretty easy:

Braveheart81 said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

If I went back to uni it would be to do a masters whilst still working in my current job.

It wouldn't be returning to do the days of having a student lifestyle.

Oflick said on the 3rd Oct, 2012

What are you talking about? Having to get up early to go to uni around the same time most people go to work is the hardest thing ever! IN THE WORLD!

/Magenta font (some times it's best just to point out when I'm joking).

8:30's not real a problem for me (it's just something to bitch about), and even if it was what can you do? I just know plenty of people who have kids and/or live quite far away from uni. Gotta suck for them.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 4th Oct, 2012

I refuse to go back to Uni. I did my time and am really not that much better for it. this is it for me, this is as brilliant and as skilled as I get, and I'm okay with that.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Thank god centrelink don't require you to report on the weekend

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 4th Oct, 2012

exam timetable just came out:

revenue law saturday 17/11/2012 8:30:00 am to 11:30:00 am

fucking hell! i can still make it to harvest, just might miss the first few bands. hopefully no bands i want to see are on in the morning. los campesinos probably will be if they don't clash with anyone.

time to start bothering aj on twitter.

if it makes you feel better i have an exam scheduled from 1:45-5:45pm and i go to newcastle uni. had to sell my ticket :(

Oflick said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Oh man that sucks.

Yeah I'm glad I only got a morning exam and can still make it, so I can't really complain (even though I have quite a bit haha).

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 4th Oct, 2012

oh man that sucks.

yeah i'm glad i only got a morning exam and can still make it, so i can't really complain (even though i have quite a bit haha).

yeah newcastle uni does suck

ba-doom-tish

i hope you manage to get there in time to see los campesinos!

Oflick said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Thanks (wo)man, but I'm pretty certain I won't. Still, if missing a band because of an exam is the worst thing that's happened to me in the last few months, I really can't complain.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Why are your unis scheduling exams on the weekend?! That just sounds insane to me.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Well, this is the first time I've felt good about being the wrong side of thirty.

Oflick said on the 4th Oct, 2012

They don't have exams on Sundays, it's Monday-Saturday. They've got to fit all the exams into a two week block and make sure there are no clashes for students, so Saturday exams are reasonable (even if annoying).

To be fair, I'm (and I assume most university students are) only doing exams for a total of 12 hours over a two week period, then I'm off until late February. It's not like university really interferes with the rest of my life. So this one minor inconvenience is definitely forgivable.

Piko

Piko said on the 4th Oct, 2012

they let you report online now, even better.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

I've only got 2 exams this semester, but the History department has decided to call them "in class tests" and schedule them in the last week of classes. So they're not technically "exams", yet are still worth about 40% of the overall grades and are conducted under exam conditions. We just don't have the luxury off SWOTVAC to study for them. Also for one subject the test/exam is literally one week after the essay is due. I'm not expecting to do too well, but it at least it'll all be over by November (for this year).

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Oct, 2012

I don't have any exams, I just have a bunch of bullshit assignments.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

I have both. One is making a model of a "pop-up venue" out of "folds and lines". Well that's all I've really gathered from the brief. The tutor herself never actually understands the assignments she sets.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Oct, 2012

That sounds close to one I have. We have to "make a space" with attention to the topic from each lecture - sound, light, colour, performance and ten or so other weeks of bullshit. This is in addition to a sketch journal. Fuck that class.

grattan said on the 4th Oct, 2012

What the hell's going on in this thread...

Anyway a few more locals for the lineup:

Melbourne 10th November - The Murlocs
Melbourne 11th November - Lurch & Chief
Sydney 17th November - Tigertown
Brisbane 18th November - The Trouble With Templeton

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 4th Oct, 2012

What the hell's going on in this thread...

Anyway a few more locals for the lineup:

Melbourne 10th November - The Murlocs
Melbourne 11th November - Lurch & Chief
Sydney 17th November - Tigertown
Brisbane 18th November - The Trouble With Templeton

agreed

Jealous of Brisbane, the trouble with templeton is/are excellent

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Saw the end of The Murlocs' set at the Tote last week and Lurch & Chief support Nada Surf last month. Both are worth seeing.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 4th Oct, 2012

cool, I will check one of them out, l'm still undecided if I am going to the sat or sun harvest.
Did anyone ever work out if sunday member people can transfer over to saturday?

Oflick said on the 4th Oct, 2012

Foundation members in Melbourne can go to either show.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 4th Oct, 2012

ah sweet thats good news, cheers big O

01seb

01seb said on the 8th Oct, 2012

From yesterday.

@01seb
@iamnotshouting Are the timetables coming out this weekend still?

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting
@01seb It's going to web dweebs tonight to get all fancied up. I imagine it'll be on website next week.

gumbuoy said on the 8th Oct, 2012

Also: so glad I own a car.

I had Saturday exams both times I was at uni.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 8th Oct, 2012

It wouldn't be returning to do the days of having a student lifestyle.

Ah. Yea. Not quite as fun, but maybe a wise financial decision. I'm considering doing a masters at some point, since a psych degree at bachelors level is basically an arts degree for all intents and purposes.

Cpt_Pugwash

Cpt_Pugwash said on the 8th Oct, 2012

Not sure how much having your Masters actually counts for these days.

Braveheart81 said on the 8th Oct, 2012

It depends on your field.

Most people who do psych end up doing honours or masters because it is hard to get very far with just the base bachelor's degree.

In my case, I'm a Chartered Accountant who works mostly in tax. A Masters of Taxation would be the logical thing for me to study if I wanted to do something further.

bjw1

bjw1 said on the 8th Oct, 2012

have any foundation members received their cards yet? still waiting on mine.

Jose Cuervo said on the 8th Oct, 2012

I.....am yet to receive mine also

Piko

Piko said on the 8th Oct, 2012

In IT a masters is useful but only if you want to go a certain direction. For a lot in IT, getting certifications is more beneficial.

I used to work with a lot of Indians that had masters degrees in commerce or IT and getting nowhere with no experience.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Engineers don't need a masters because we are already over-qualified after graduating from a bachelor's degree with a 4.

Only boring people who want to sit in an office, design things, and work normal hours* do their masters.

*And earn less for longer.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Over qualified after doing a 4 year course?
I'm only in first year, but even I know that a degree doesn't mean that much, compared to actual work experience.
It's just pretty much a certificate to say that you're smart enough to learn shit in an engineering job

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 9th Oct, 2012

I feel I would be more qualified for a job from my Arts degree rather than my Visual Arts degree, which doesn't bode well for my future.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Over qualified after doing a 4 year course?

Exactly. But, the 4-year course and the work experience should be happening at the same time.

Piko

Piko said on the 9th Oct, 2012

I don't know why companies wouldn't be interested in having 3rd and 4th year engineering/other degree students doing part time work experience. They get someone to make their coffee and do their shit jobs for the cost of insurance. It wouldn't be bad. They could also train them to how they want them....

edit: this may not work for all degrees

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Firstly to give back to the engineering community, because all engineers were students once, and everyone has to do a minimum of 90s days work experience (at my uni) before graduating.

Secondly, so they can offer the interns jobs at their company after graduating, so they can poach some of the high performing graduates.

Oflick said on the 9th Oct, 2012

I feel guilty* for turning this thread into an unnecessary discussion on university.

*proud

shazie said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Yeah it's a requirement of all Aussie engineering degrees, I believe, to do a minimum of 90 days work experience to be properly accredited - great idea I reckon.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Why is that? I have a few uni friends that did visual arts, they are all happily still working in the industry 15 (*cough*) years later.

I started my masters a few years ago and abandoned it. Thinking of picking it up again but I'm not sure I could handle the lack of free time.

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Haha my major is "Interdisciplinary Design". All of us in the course chose it as we thought it was the Visual Arts equivalent of Graphic Design. It's not. We don't get taught anything and we're not allowed to use computers, so we don't have any skills in Photoshop, Illustrator etc. We mostly get bogus design briefs that the instructor doesn't even understand herself, where we end up making abstract, conceptual collages and not even knowing what we're doing until a couple of days before the project is due. We're pretty much in limbo between the Fine Arts and Art & Design studios. No one else even know we really exist, as we discovered when we hadn't even been invited to the meetings for the end of year grad show for all studios :p

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 9th Oct, 2012

Some dude on the music forum of 4chan during a drawn out discussion about uni and work prospects once said:

"Education + Experience = God Mode."

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 10th Oct, 2012

sounds about as useful as teaching degree when you decide teaching is a fucked up choice of profession

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 10th Oct, 2012

At least you have a choice of profession :/

kaydee

kaydee said on the 10th Oct, 2012

Ouch. Rock & Hard place. How on earth do they teach a design course in 2013 that doesn't use computers? What year are you in?

But school holidays!!!

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 10th Oct, 2012

I'm in 3rd year, which is my 2nd last year, but my last year of Visual Arts. The students studying Visual Communications and the other design majors actually learn proper skills, we're just screwed cos we're technically on the "fine art" side of things. So the subject is trying to accommodate for both fine art and 'design', but fails in doing so.

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Oct, 2012

Would it be at all inconvenient to move this whole dealio to its own thread?

shazie said on the 10th Oct, 2012

As long as everyone makes sure to say "I can't wait to see at harvest!", then everything will still be on-topic.

Annies boobs

Annies boobs said on the 12th Oct, 2012

the uni thread: now with added harvest discussion.

Oflick said on the 12th Oct, 2012

shazie said on the 12th Oct, 2012

Oflick said on the 13th Oct, 2012

To do a radical thing and get back onto the original topic, AJ tweeted this half an hour ago:

AJ ‏@iamnotshouting
Ozomotli have sadly dropped out of Harvest. Not sure why.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 13th Oct, 2012

That's a real shame, but at least it's not someone that I was really looking forward to seeing.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 13th Oct, 2012

I would have seen them, they are pretty hip. Hmm maybe they got a better offer from Bluesfest perhaps? lol

MorningAfterboy said on the 13th Oct, 2012

liquidtopaz3

liquidtopaz3 said on the 13th Oct, 2012

Jose Cuervo said on the 14th Oct, 2012

Fuck y'all

[youtube]bjb9i5r9inc[/youtube]

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

I've asked AJ on twitter if he'll be getting Titus Andronicus to replace Ozo. Hopefully yes.

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Hell, have Titus Andronicus replace every band.

Entire festival is now a 12 hour rendition of The Battle Of Hampton Roads.

Jose Cuervo said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Hell, have Titus Andronicus replace every band.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Hell, have Titus Andronicus replace every band.

Entire festival is now a 12 hour rendition of The Battle Of Hampton Roads.

Or, sign Cloud Nothings to play as well, and just alternate Battle Of Hampton Roads and Wasted Days back and forth all day.

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Braveheart81 said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Don't drink the Kool-Aid!*

* It is actually just the sweat of Paul Dempsey that gumbuoy has collected over the years.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

That's good, because I was thinking after they've played their songs, oh I dunno, 20 times each, Stickles and Baldi could do some duets. I'm thinking Islands In The Stream, and maybe Ebony and Ivory reworked as Ivory and Whiter Ivory.

gumbuoy said on the 15th Oct, 2012

And, another reply from AJ

@gumbuoy Too late to replace at this stage. We'll divide their set to give longer sets to SSPU and others.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Looks like a blessing in da skies

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 15th Oct, 2012

longer los campesinos set plz, have they announced the farken adelaide sideshow y et, something tell me it'll be at a place t hey won't be able to fill ilke the gov

shazie said on the 15th Oct, 2012

And, another reply from AJ

01seb

01seb said on the 15th Oct, 2012

Fuck yes! Hopefully means they get around 1 hour 15mins.

There are 273 more comments. View them all