Image for Tours in brief: Even, The Fauves, Rubens, Sures, Jordie Lane

Tours in brief: Even, TheFauves, Rubens, Sures, JordieLane

A slew of solid Australian acts, ranging from veterans to up-and-comers, will be hitting the road over the next few months – here’s just a taste of what to expect.

Local legends Even and The Fauves are widely regarded as two of the most underrated acts in the annals of Australian rock history. Although they’ll certainly be playing the hits that they’re best known for, the bands are insisting that “a historical tour this ain’t,” as they’ll both have new records to spruik. Even’s new record is entitled In Another Time, their first since 2008’s self-titled release; while The Fauves have just dropped German Engines – a sequel of sorts to last year’s Japanese Engines. The tour takes in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and three cities in WA – so no complaining from our friends in the west, y’hear?

Saturday 16 June – Annandale Hotel, Sydney
Friday 29 June – Regal Ballroom, Melbourne
Saturday 7 July – The Zoo, Brisbane
Thursday 9 August – Prince Of Wales, Perth
Friday 10 August – Rosemount Hotel, Perth
Saturday 11 August – Mojo’s, Fremantle
Sunday 12 August – Indi Bar, Scarborough

Currently on tour in support of Lanie Lane on her extensive national tour, The Rubens [pictured] have just announced a coupe of their own headlining dates this July in the lead-up to their appearance at Splendour in the Grass. The Melbourne band are set to release a new single, Don’t Ever Want to Be Found, to coincide with the tour dates. The single is lifted from the band’s debut album, which is set for release on Ivy League this September. Joining the Rubens at their Sydney and Melbourne shows will be Melbourne kids Them Swoops.

Thursday 12 July – Corner Hotel, Melbourne
Thursday 19 July – Oxford Art Factory, Sydney
Saturday 21 July – Spin Off Festival, Adelaide
Sunday 29 July – Splendour in the Grass, Byron Bay

Fresh from supporting Wavves at their headlining shows, young bucks Sures will head out for a small East Coast tour starting in late June. The band have had a dream run this past year, having opened for Best Coast and Bleeding Knees Club and releasing their debut EP, Stars. Once these shows are over, they will head into the studio to record their debut album, to be released via Ivy League. They will be joined by Woe & Flutter in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Thursday 28 June – Goodgod Small Club, Sydney
Friday 29 June – Rocket Bar, Adelaide
Thursday 5 July – Northcote Social Club, Melbourne
Thursday 12 July – Alhambra Lounge, Brisbane
Friday 13 July – Upstairs at the Clock, Gold Coast

Lastly, hirsute troubadour Jordie Lane will be making a quick jaunt down the east coast of Australia, playing five shows in five days in solo acoustic mode. Lane has just returned from extensive touring of the United States, which also saw him lay down some new material with Grammy-winning producer Tom Biller. Not long after these dates, Lane will then go to Melbourne to star as Gram Parsons in the stage production Grievous Angel: The Legend of Gram Parsons at the Athanaeum Theatre.

Wednesday June 27 – Black Bear Lodge, Brisbane
Thursday June 28 – 5 Church Street, Bellingen
Friday June 29 – Royal Exchange, Newcastle
Saturday June 30 – Camelot Lounge, Sydney
Sunday July 1 –The Wheatsheaf, Adelaide

Social

Comments

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 31st May, 2012

Fauves skipping Adelaide huh? Might have to send some death threats

berlinchair101 said on the 31st May, 2012

Will have to check out The Rubens one day.

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st May, 2012

There's a video in the article, go nuts.

berlinchair101 said on the 31st May, 2012

I meant live. I have heard their music.

gumbuoy said on the 31st May, 2012

I may go the full hipster - go for Even, skip the Fauves.

Braveheart81 said on the 31st May, 2012

Pfft.

This is just another reason why dogs are the best people.

Piko

Piko said on the 31st May, 2012

I'd be keen to go see Even and The Fauves.

....Shut up Nick

gumbuoy said on the 31st May, 2012

I've seen the Fauves once, they didn't play the song I wanted them to and they were kinda slack in general.

It's okay, I'll "nice story, bro" myself.

EDIT: I contribed this paragraph (I'm pretty sure) to the Sounds of Spring review:

batdan

batdan said on the 31st May, 2012

I watched Even at the BDO instead of Marilyn Manson. Still stand by my choice.

Piko

Piko said on the 31st May, 2012

I've seen the Fauves twice.

The last time I saw them I was disappointed they didnt play Self Abuser, I asked coxy when he was packing up and he gave a smart arse response to me. but yer I was getting my poster signed and this girl I'd met that night, Olive, was in their truck, she worked at Sunflower Records, I don't remember anything else about her but she asked to sign my poster and I was thinking "not that you're in the band, but ok" but decided not to say it and just let her sign.

Anyhow Coxy then turned from the front seat to sign, and I wanted to say something clever so I randomly said to him what I was going to say to her, it felt a tad surreal saying it but I was drunk and it felt funny to me. Anyhow he signed my poster "fuck ya, coxy". I grinned when I read it lol.

Kinda sad to think I just threw all my old signed posters out because well... they were old and tattered and ready for the bin.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 31st May, 2012

I saw The Fauves support Hunters & Collectors on their farewell tour*. I remember them being a lot of fun but I was also probably wasted.
I might go to the Dale gig, Even are always great.

*Yes I am really really old

Mrs Butterworth

Mrs Butterworth said on the 31st May, 2012

i love the fauves will be catchin them for sure, hey piko i have heard that story before you didnt post on a youtube clip or something it rings a bell

bigval

bigval said on the 31st May, 2012

I used to really like The Fauves, I saw them in '98 on the Caveat Emptour with TISM & Regurgitator and they were actually the main band I was going for.

They were good but when I saw them the following year at a regular pub they had morphed from classy rock Future Spa/Lazy Highways era into the crappy wanky keyboard dominated pop band they are now and were shit.

I still went up and got some stuff signed by them though and this was when their original bass player G man was still in the band, I think he left not long after that tour too.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 31st May, 2012

Yeah, let's all tour while Snappy's in Ireland. Fuckers. *stumps off on wooden leg*