Soundwave 2013 – early clues

Update – 28th May:
Due to the huge number of hints that Soundwave boss AJ Maddah has dropped on Twitter we've had to start a second collection of the clues. Check out all the latest news here

It’s probably (almost certainly) a little too early for Soundwave 2013 rumours but the first act for next year’s festival has already been confirmed – via a bit of post tour cancellation tweeting.

So inspired by that very early confirmation we’ve decided to have a quick look to see if festival boss AJ Maddah has offered up any other early hints about the lineup he’s working on to top Slipknot, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit and the rest of the 2012 gang.

Yes, it does feel as though Soundwave has only just finished storming its way around the country. And yes, Soundwave 2013 is roughly nine months away and certainly not due to be announced anytime soon – it’s not like the festival needs to make a ridiculously early announcement and get the tickets on sale before the hype wears off like a certain boy-band fad. But it probably (almost certainly) won’t surprise you to find that the Twitter addicted Maddah has already commented on some of the bands that we can rule out and others he’s looking at booking for the festival (or for other upcoming Soundwave touring dates) so let’s take a look at those hints.

Several bands including the perennially requested favourites Rage Against the Machine, Ramstein and Weezer have already been ruled out, as have Refused, Def Leppard and Good Charlotte. While tours from Falling in Reverse, Gaslight Anthem, Architects, Ghost and Gogol Bordello plus return visits from Soundwave 2012 acts Limp Bizkit and Mastodon are all on the cards.

Soundwave 2013 dates:

And we can expect announcements are coming soon:

Read on for all the clues -

Comments

tyler07 said on the 17th May, 2012

I reckon Placebo will be touring for SW next year personally.

How about an AFI headlining tour? That'd sure be rad!

01seb

01seb said on the 17th May, 2012

Well AJ told me that he'd talk to Placebo about either a headlining tour or Soundwave next year when I tweeted about it around a month ago. And I've tried tweeting him about it again since then but he's said nothing....

I still think they will play Soundwave to, but it's possible they'll do a proper tour instead.

grattan said on the 17th May, 2012

Check the last page of the story :)

01seb

01seb said on the 17th May, 2012

Yep. That was my tweet. He didn't rule out either Soundwave or a proper tour so we'll see.

Victim

Victim said on the 19th May, 2012

Has anyone asked him about Garbage for Soundwave 13, as I know they're one that's been rumoured for a while. They also just posted this on Facebook...

Garbage
2 hours ago via Twitter

Oz fans! Thanks for the top ten!! We love you. See you soon!! G

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer them at BDO (for the history) or Soundwave (for the crowd), but I'd say they'd be at one of them.

stuieb84

dance gavin dance
the cure
fucked up
horse the band
wu lyf
at the drive in

The Cure and WU LYF at Soundwave? What drugs are you taking and where can I get some?

tyler07 said on the 21st May, 2012

Hipsters don't even mosh bruuuuu

crob said on the 21st May, 2012

hardcore kids doing there whirlwinds in a laneway crowd would be pretty awesome to see.... plus there stuck in a lane way easy way to escape the fists fiery...

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 21st May, 2012

We can only hope.

But how big is the fanbase in Australia?
Because they'd probably be headlining and I don't think most people would know who they are.

But it would be fucking amazing though,

Oflick said on the 21st May, 2012

They wouldn't be headlining. They could headline the Green stage or the Essential stage, but they wouldn't be the main headliners.

crob said on the 21st May, 2012

The Shape of Punk to Come in full would be rad....

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 21st May, 2012

Yeah that's true, but would they be too expensive compared to previous Green/Essential stage headliners?

berlinchair101 said on the 21st May, 2012

I doubt they would be more expensive than Primal Scream or anyone like that.

crob said on the 21st May, 2012

I could see them playing the same time as Primal Scream did

tyler07 said on the 21st May, 2012

BDO should pick someone shit like Muse to headline and then have Refused headline the green. Shit would be unreal.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 21st May, 2012

Yeah, you could be in the D for Garbage and for Placebo, and then skip across to Green as soon as Muse start unzipping...

RAMONESelaar said on the 21st May, 2012

Or you could avoid the D altogether, if those bands were playing

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 21st May, 2012

Back to the beet farm, Dwight.

Oflick said on the 23rd May, 2012

would love to see:
megadeth
kylesa
puscifer
black sabbath
dance gavin dance
the cure
fucked up
horse the band
wu lyf
at the drive in

The Cure would be out of place, but Poison and Venom wouldn't be!

Yeah, making apparently witty remarks two days later totally isn't unnecessary.

Jose Cuervo said on the 23rd May, 2012

???

crob said on the 24th May, 2012

even though i think there a good band.... let the recycling begin

Oflick said on the 24th May, 2012

Someone asked AJ about NOFX and he said there was almost no chance they'd be playing.

crob said on the 24th May, 2012

so this could mean AJ hates NOFX, NOFX hates AJ or someone else has booked NOFX

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

Or they could just be smart enough to do their own decent sized headlining tour? Let's go with that.

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

Good, id rather they not play soundwave tbh

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

They were so awesome at No Sleep Til, will definitely see them again and drink 47 beers and drunkenly belt out Linoleum. Shit will be real.

ThatDude123 said on the 25th May, 2012

the more I think about it, the more I think AJ will probably get Linkin Park to headline sw2013. They're a band that's equally liked by scene kids and nu-metal douchebags, have a new album out this year, headline similar fests overseas, and probably can't sell out arenas any more but are still big.

Guess I wont be going next year :/

berlinchair101 said on the 25th May, 2012

Have you been any year?

Linkin Park's new song genuinely rivals Pitbull's MIB song for worst song of the year.

ThatDude123 said on the 25th May, 2012

I went between 09 and 11, had mad fun every time, even reviewed the hipster bands at the 2011 edition.

Though the prospect of no Refused and possible Linkin Park is scary.

crob said on the 25th May, 2012

there was always going to be a point when he was going to have feel the lineup with average acts....

berlinchair101 said on the 25th May, 2012

Jose Cuervo said on the 25th May, 2012

LEAVE STEEL PANTHER ALONE!!!!!!

crob said on the 25th May, 2012

reviewing that makes me happy i didn't go this year

berlinchair101 said on the 25th May, 2012

Well it's impossible to put that many bands on a festival and them alllll be shit.

Lord knows AJ's tried.

Oflick said on the 25th May, 2012

There were still plenty of good bands on that lineup to have a good day.

Of course, I really wanted to see SOAD and Slipknot, so I know my opinion's not welcome around here.

berlinchair101 said on the 25th May, 2012

Slipknot were great. SOAD sucked a huge pair of balls.

01seb

01seb said on the 25th May, 2012

I can see the headliner being Green Day next year.

crob said on the 25th May, 2012

its hard to decide who's worst, Green Day or Linkin Park....

Oflick said on the 25th May, 2012

SOAD were underwhelming at Soundwave. They were better at their sideshow.

Back on topic, thoughts on Motorhead? AJ said they depend on who the headliner is. I'm guessing they'd headline stage 4, so perhaps a shitty main stage headliner who won't take fans from Motorhead would be a good thing? Motorhead are pretty low on my wishlist, but they'd be cool to see.

Oflick said on the 25th May, 2012

Hey, Dookie is a good album.

...with a shit name...

crob said on the 25th May, 2012

Dookie is a awesome album... but the last few greenday albums are ear rape

RAMONESelaar said on the 25th May, 2012

So is every Linkin Park album.

Question answered.

berlinchair101 said on the 25th May, 2012

SOAD were underwhelming at Soundwave. They were better at their sideshow.

Motorhead are rad.

That is my thought on Motorhead.

All of Green Day's shitty songs together aren't worse than this song.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 25th May, 2012

Green Day were good pre-American Idiot. Then they turned to shit.

ThatDude123 said on the 25th May, 2012

So is every Linkin Park album.

Question answered.

The last Linkin Park was okay, despite being a NIN ripoff. It was actually the most surprising thing to listen to, though: a Linkin park record that didn't hate ears.

RAMONESelaar said on the 26th May, 2012

Motorhead are rad.

That is my thought on Motorhead.

I love how concise you are.

tyler07 said on the 26th May, 2012

Motörhead fucking rule. I've tweeted AJ about them twice but got no response.

Oflick said on the 27th May, 2012

He's been too busy tweeting about nanny states and the carbon tax to reply to questions.

shazie said on the 27th May, 2012

Linkin Park were my first concert. I enjoyed their live show so much that I decided to spend all my money on going to tons of concerts and eventually become some form of a hipster.

What an odd origin...

shazie said on the 27th May, 2012

Fucking good tall-man?

Why thank you Jose.

truthlies

truthlies said on the 30th May, 2012

I am officially campaigning Soen for SW13 so her goes. If you like 'em and want to see Martin Mendez tear it up with sticks and pig skin. Back'em at http://forum.soundwavefestival.com/node/126020?page=13#comment-286969

truthlies

truthlies said on the 30th May, 2012

[youtube]KbWahoNCvVQ[/youtube]

Oflick said on the 31st May, 2012

What do you think are the chances of PiL? AJ thinking about it doesn't translate to much, but got me thinking about them again. I hope they come down here, but don't care if it's Soundwave, BDO, or just a tour.

knate

knate said on the 1st Jun, 2012

Gaslight? New album in August I think...

tyler07 said on the 1st Jun, 2012

I think Gaslight are going to do a headline tour.

bjw1

bjw1 said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

AJ is at Rock Am Ring atm, doubtless booking acts for SW13.

who from Rock Am Ring is most likley to end up on the SW bill?

Oflick said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Linkin Park, Unfortunately.

Hopefully Anthrax, Motorhead, Tenacious D, Ghost, and Die Toten Hosen end up on it as well.

crob said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Tenacious D would be rad...

tyler07 said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Hopefully from that list (taking into account bands that played this year and those already ruled out):
Killswitch Engage, Motörhead, The Subways, Cypress Hill, Tenacious D, Gallows, As I Lay Dying, and Devildriver.

Would be rad.

batdan

batdan said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

who from Rock Am Ring is most likley to end up on the SW bill?

Gossip, Ting Tings and MIA

RAMONESelaar said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Peter Doherty and Tinie Tempah to headline

Jose Cuervo said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

I wanna see a post hardcore set from the maccabees

RAMONESelaar said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Nah, they only do grindcore

Jose Cuervo said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

When will they expand to crabcore though

RAMONESelaar said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Not soon enough, dammit!

Jose Cuervo said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Would love to see shazie crabcoreing along to these dudes

RAMONESelaar said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Would love to see shazie crabcoring in general

batdan

batdan said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

Tweet from AJ @TheBlackout wil play #SW13

now I just need to google them to find out if I'm happy or not.

tyler07 said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

The Blackout are truly terrible. I saw them live as the support act for Lostprophets when a mate offered me a free spare ticket. Really awful live sound and i've never seen a relatively unknown band be more arrogant on stage.

So yes, do not see, they are shit.

Jose Cuervo said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

So yes, do not see, they are shit.

Have you not seen Teenage Mothers?

tyler07 said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

If I wanted to see somebody huff paint or whatever they were doing I'd just go down to a nearby shopping centre...

berlinchair101 said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

So yes, do not see, they are shit.

Two best reviews we've ever gotten.

Oflick said on the 4th Jun, 2012

According to his twitter AJ isn't involved, but Rivers Cuomo's facebook page has a status that just says Australia. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'm going to anyway.

I assume it's not with Soundwave, but a facebook status simply saying "Australia" doesn't constitute a whole new thread in my mind (though I have read articles based on less).

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Jun, 2012

Scooter mcgavin already posted about that in one of the other threads (or even earlier in this thread, I can't be bothered looking).

More importantly, according to twitter (that ever reliable source), Rivers joined Simple Plan on stage in Sydney and said that Weezer would be here in November. Draw your own conclusions.

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Jun, 2012

That's what I was wondering, but AJ seems to suggest that he's given up on booking them.

Then again, he said Limp Bizkit and Iron Maiden would never play Soundwave.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 4th Jun, 2012

If only someone here went to the Simple PLan concert, we could ask them. Oh well. *puts hands in pockets and walks away*

Oflick said on the 4th Jun, 2012

Ah I didn't see that posted anywhere else.

I don't think they'd fit in with Harvest, I'd gather it's just a headlining tour.

Even if I knew Rivers Cuomo was going to be there I wouldn't have gone.

grattan said on the 4th Jun, 2012

Rivers wasn't there, insane to believe that. However for the sake of the possible 'scoop' I did chase it up: asked our shooter and reviewer who were at the gig and even found (and watched) footage of the simple Plan/Rivers colab song as performed in Sydney.

No Rivers.

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Jun, 2012

No Rivers.

Apologies then. I was going on second or third hand info

truthlies

truthlies said on the 4th Jun, 2012

[youtube]9VEFORk1wYA[/youtube]

vote for SOEN to play SW13 here:

grattan said on the 4th Jun, 2012

Guilty

In our defense it's Weezer and a 16 year wait so even the slightest hope is worth excitement.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 4th Jun, 2012

[youtube]9VEFORk1wYA[/youtube]

vote for SOEN to play SW13 here:

Had never heard of these guys before, they sound like a TOOL cover band. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, how's their album?

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Jun, 2012

It's not a bad thing, it's a fucking horrible thing.

Oflick said on the 4th Jun, 2012

I once knew a singer in a Tool cover band. He was a nice person and happy to talk to people after the shows. In other words, he wasn't a very good Maynard.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 4th Jun, 2012

Blasted

Blasted said on the 4th Jun, 2012

No Rivers.

I saw that on the link below early this morning and was pretty sure they were on crack
Apparently the author posted that it was tweeted by Cameron Adams (Herald Sun music journalist), confirmed by Sam Kelton (music writer/editor for HIT in Adelaide). I have no idea who these two are but you might have a better idea Grattan. A quick look at Weezer tour dates would reveal that he couldn't have been there, good to see you have some basic journalistic skills unlike some.

RAMONESelaar said on the 4th Jun, 2012

The tweet my friend messaged me about said

"Bad news: Rivers Cuomo got on stage with Simple Plan in Sydney. Good news: he said Weezer touring Oz in Nov - true @kelts82 ? #elscorcho"

Presumably @kelts82 is that Sam Kelton