Splendour In The Grass lineup2012

It’s been a long time coming, but after many months of rumours, a few lazy bets and at least eight ‘official’ leaks the 2012 Splendour In The Grass lineup has arrived.

This year Australia’s biggest camping festival will move back to its original beachside location at Belongil Fields for three huge nights of musical action from Friday 27th July – Sunday 29th July. Full festival passes and single day tickets go on sale from 9am next Friday 27th April through Moshtix.

Want to know what the headliners will be playing? Check out our Splendour live preview with set-lists and videos!

Splendour In The Grass 2012 lineup:

Smashing Pumpkins – read our interview with Billy Corgan
The Kooks – Only Australian show
Gossip
Azealia Banks
Wolfmother
Missy Higgins
50 Years Of Dylan – Kav Temperley, Kevin Mitchell, Holly Throsby, Patience Hodgson and “an array of surprise Splendour guests”
Metric
Beni
Alley Oop
Harris Robotis

Tickets

3-DAY (Friday to Sunday inclusive) = $350 + booking fees

SINGLE DAY (Friday or Saturday or Sunday) = $135 + booking fees

Check out all the amazing backstage photos taken in 2010 and 2011 as part of FL’s Splendour In The Grass Studio with photographer Daniel Boud :

Social

Comments

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Yeah, not that ATD-I are that heavy, but they do stick out on the line up.

The Smashing Pumpkins probably have heavier songs than ATD-I tbh.

Stefan Beck said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I'm sure there's more than a few people who'll go just to see ATD-I's only Australian show.

Is this why single day tickets have been brought back?

Piko

Piko said on the 19th Apr, 2012

The Pixies stand out as a heavy band headlining Splendour in the past

Piko

Piko said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I think the single day tickets stem from fear of the struggles existent in the current festival market. I am sure they wished they had them last year. I suppose its an insurance policy

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

And these guys.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Is it just me, or is there a major lack of talent for the mix-up? I honestly think I'd be happy to pay $350 for two days and have the day more crammed. Maybe run an hour or two later each night and ditch a lot of local talent. Also.....three days is hard work. Good line up though and I can't wait, just seems a little thin to me.

mcloud

mcloud said on the 19th Apr, 2012

the lack of beats is obvious - they along with the bdo have been heading this way for a few years.

shame because it makes a good festival.

maybe the fees the quality electronic acts can get at the big dance festivals's price them out?

Napoleon Solo said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I am in two minds. I really want to see At the Drive-in again but the festival environment is not ideaI.
I think it has already been decided for me though, I won't be in the Country when they go on sale.
Splendour scalping is non existent, yes?

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Not sure if there is enough spread across the entire 3 days for me to get a full ticket. Some decent mix up headliners probably would have got me over the line but it looks like it's just the Friday for me.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Last year splendour scalping occurred after the reissue debacle. I was tempted to buy half priced tix but had other stuff on

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Friday does seem to be the day to go if you only want a single day ticket.

Braveheart81 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

They will surely only make a very limited number of single day tickets available.

Out of a capacity of somewhere around 17,500, you'd think it would only be a couple of thousand. They wouldn't want to sell 5,000+ Friday tickets, not be able to sell that many Saturday and Sunday single day tickets and then sell out of 3 day tickets.

Napoleon Solo said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Fuck it, after the full line-up sinking in there is really not much happening and it's not worth the trip for me. Apart from Afghan Whigs I won't be missing out on anything I haven't seen before.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 19th Apr, 2012

here's hoping jack white and shins sideys don't clash.

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Awesome, someone else who got excited by the Afghan Whigs being there.

Gregg will get a job at Channel V and be too busy interviewing/attending 360 to see Jack of The Shins.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 19th Apr, 2012

So that's a no from you, gregg?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I had a listen to a couple of their songs and I'm liking the sound of it. Where's a good place to start with listening to them?

Braveheart81 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Awesome, someone else who got excited by the Afghan Whigs being there.

I don't think there are many Afghan Whigs fans in Australia so hopefully they play somewhere small like the Hi-fi or OAF and I'll see you both there!

berlinchair101 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I only have two of their records as I'm fairly new to them - I got into them after I discovered The Gutter Twins - but if my recomendation means anything I'd say Congregation.

Black Love, the other album of theirs I have is also really good.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Still working my way through The Shins' output, but I want to give all the new (to me) bands a listen.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Friday tix going to go like hot cakes!

missunderstood

missunderstood said on the 19th Apr, 2012

can someone please tell me the splendour member link to buy tickets. i am a member but did not get the email notification and moshtix or splendour have not responded to my emails. please help.

Braveheart81 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Black Love, the other album of theirs I have is also really good.

Gentlemen would be considered their seminal album.

I'd suggest that one.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Gentlemen would be considered their seminal album.

I'd suggest that one.

I'm pretty sure the title track was the first one that I listened to today. Thanks for the suggestion

Braveheart81 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I'd say Debonair is their best known song.

[youtube]oJwWmz8Mp3U[/youtube]

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I guess I'll echo what one or two people have said in the thread. For me, the lineup's spread pretty thin for 3 days. And there not much at all in the way of hip hop/dance. Why bring Yuksek out again? They should take a cue from Laneway, who always seem to grab some inspired EDM acts.

I'm excited for Jack White and The Shins sideshows. Might do Django Django too.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Yeah, Debonair and Gentlemen were the first two songs to come up on youtube

Faris

Faris said on the 19th Apr, 2012

people are finally starting to realise that the lineup is very thin. No depth to this at all. the fact that bands like big scary would be playing late afternoon is a good indicator. kimbra headlining an even better example.

But splendour is splendour. Byron means it will be extra special and fuck. jack white, shins and bloc party. Brilliant.

suckkker

suckkker said on the 19th Apr, 2012

damn how great would it be if jack white hung around for the 50 years of dylan? they're on different days though unfortunately.

tyler07 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Not too bad a lineup at all, but with my current circumstances will just head down for the Saturday. Keen as for Bloc Party.

See some of ya'll there.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I'm not going to lie, I'm a grown man, mrs gregg said I'm not allowed. because I honestly just can't afford it. I saved up half the money for my lens, it'd be silly to piss it away. I quite like the line up, but it's not a must see. I don't like atdi, I don't mind bloc party, and I flat out hate smashing pumpkins. so the reasons most people are keen are ones I don't care for, so sideys it is.

Jestarrr

Jestarrr said on the 19th Apr, 2012

In retrospect, i'm not really sure the lineup justifies me travelling across the country to go. There's a LOT of fluff at the bottom end, and barely any international acts filling out the mid range spots. I've seen a lot of the bands that are there. :/

I'd go for the Friday, but I reckon you pay for splendour to have three stages worth of selection, and I can't see that at all. Apart from Bloc Party, there's barely any international acts on the Saturday. The terrible, pathetic band that is San Cisco is halfway up the list on Sunday ffs.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 19th Apr, 2012

thanks for the confidence vote, and the reality check of what exactly I've gotten myself in for =\

tyler07 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

The lineup is surely a bit thin of internationals this year? Please correct me as I'm probably wrong but the more I look at it the more I just think there is nowhere near enough internationals to sufficiently cover 3 days?

Are they still broke from Yeezy last year? RustyinBondi will not be pleased.

bjw1

bjw1 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

When are sideshows usually announced for SITG?

Hoping the Shins and Fun. play a show in sydney each.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I don't think I'll go, can't justify $500-$600 to see bloc party no matter how much I love them
Will definitely be at jack white and the shins sideshows though

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 19th Apr, 2012

don't think they'll have any problems selling 17 500 tickets. for me the biggest disappointment is easily Smashing Pumpkins headlining a night. but i guess just like so many other australian festivals they simply weren't able to get anyone better.

RustyinBondi

RustyinBondi said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Haha Smashing Pumpkins a disappointment. You could imagine my feeling with gayfish as a headliner last year.

Napoleon Solo said on the 19th Apr, 2012

If I lived within 100km of Byron I'd be there for sure but there is no depth in the lineup. On the Sunday I'd be struggling to find the motivation to show up.

Napoleon Solo said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Why are you feeling gayfish?

Andeh

Andeh said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Some real surprises in there, but overall, it has continued the trend of having a few great acts, but mostly dross.

Will go on the Fri, for Jack White and ATDI, would love to see Afghan, but they will clash surely.

All our predicted lineups were much better.

(Theorys on Smashing Pumpkins? I'm guessing, Yeezy didn't give them the difficult to manage ego they craved, and went for the sure shot)

tyler07 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Yeezy did give them a good performance though, which I'm guessing they won't get from Corgan.

lachlann10

lachlann10 said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I personally think saturday is the best day, Friday has the best headliners and nothing really appeals to me on sunday.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 19th Apr, 2012

No, why don't you enlighten us?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 19th Apr, 2012

I can see friday being packed from the extra 1 day ticket holders, but I'm guessing by sunday not only the lineup but the crowd will be looking a bit thin.
They could have put this lineup into 2 days tbh. No Cure makes humanracin go something something...

deanoss

deanoss said on the 19th Apr, 2012

Someone gonna get me a fri ticket before they all disappear?

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 20th Apr, 2012

Good, no one go on Sunday, it will be shit, no one go (except me)

Blasted

Blasted said on the 20th Apr, 2012

I still think that there will not be that many one day tickets on any of the days and they will not have any trouble selling out of the allocation on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

01seb

01seb said on the 20th Apr, 2012

I reckon maybe 1000 day tickets for each day at the most. It'll sell out for sure

tyler07 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

So this thread is rather large and all over the place, but who is actually going/going to try get tickets this Friday?

My god I hope I can nab a couple of single day tickets for the Saturday, so much want.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

I'm going and should be getting one in the presale, but I'll try on Friday in case one of my friends misses out.

tyler07 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

Don't make me mosh your face, carnt.

gumbuoy said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

Nope, in the Splendour club, so we got ours last Friday :)

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

tyler07 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

Cube isn't going to save you from the fury I will unleash during Tame Impala.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

"...company's okay, solitude is bliss..."
"LET'S OPEN THIS PIT THE FUCK UP, BITCHES"

ThatDude123 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

I think now is a better time than ever to remind everyone that the last time the Smashing Pumpkins played Australia, they were so bad they hospitalized me.

tyler07 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

You could get a solid circle pit going during 'Desire Be, Desire Go'.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

There were some stoned bogans trying to mosh at their album launch show in 2010

ThatDude123 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

Four browser windows open for the presale, trying on all of them. Still nothing. Argh.

ThatDude123 said on the 23rd Apr, 2012

RAMONESelaar is now going. Thank my amazing cable internet speeds and knowing that if you log in beforehand you get priority in the queue as the server can skip a booking page.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 24th Apr, 2012

It was a little bit of a shit fight that I'm not used to when purchasing presale tickets, but I got there in the end. Friday, Saturday and Camping tickets :)

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 24th Apr, 2012

a guy at school today said he would go Saturday and Sunday and Friday was terrible

i wanted to punch myself in the face

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th Apr, 2012

Do it....I dare you

here do it like this

chico21

chico21 said on the 24th Apr, 2012

ja I'm going. I think for the full shebang.

chico21

chico21 said on the 26th Apr, 2012

^ devastated you won't be with us Jetstarr. you sound like a really cool guy.

grattan said on the 19th May, 2012

Whispers of a 'secret' Explosions in the Sky gig at the Great Northern just before Splendour.

Jose Cuervo said on the 19th May, 2012

Yup, that would rock my dong if true

tyler07 said on the 19th May, 2012

Fuck yeah would be keen as. I'm looking into campsite accommo now so pre-EITS-sesh at mine guys!

01seb

01seb said on the 19th May, 2012

Would be awesome, I'd definitely be there.
Maybe cause Explosions are clashing with Jack White?

tyler07 said on the 19th May, 2012

I really hope they don't... I hope they go with somebody like Kimbra to break the crowd up a bit.

01seb

01seb said on the 19th May, 2012

I'd think it might go: Jack - Main, Kimbra - Mix-Up, Explosions or Afghan Wigs - GW Tent for the headliners.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 24th May, 2012

I was a bit worried about the EITS / Jack White clash. Can someone let me know if this gets confirmed because I'm a bit aloof on here as of late.

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

I've got enough sick days to have the Thursday and Friday off, so me thinks that I'll definitely be down for this EITS secret show.

When do the Splendour timetables get released normally? Would be handy to know the clashes a little in advance...

01seb

01seb said on the 24th May, 2012

Timetable didn't released until 30th of June last year and 13th June in 2012. I'd say it'll drop in the earlier bracket this time seeing as it's sold out so quickly

Blasted

Blasted said on the 24th May, 2012

How would one go about procuring tickets to said secret gig? How has it worked in the past?

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

Previously they have announced that there was a gig on that night at the northern. the 2 I went to were the Grates one where it was billed as that and then the bloc party one that was billed as "The Silent Alarms". From memory you just bought tickts through the Northerns website

Samwise

Samwise said on the 24th May, 2012

I went to a PJ Harvey one where, from memory, they announced it on Triple J on the Thursday and tickets went on sale at 9am Friday from the Great Northern. You had to line up for them.

truthlies

truthlies said on the 24th May, 2012

yeah clashes with this and that. You'll be like, fuck!

truthlies

truthlies said on the 24th May, 2012

Whatever night Lana is playing. She should clash with a headliner. Given her recent success.
No clashes with mudhoney and skulls and ... fuck this is hard from a mobile

truthlies

truthlies said on the 24th May, 2012

Shit I'm excited. But if my gf dumps me I'm selling my extra ticket here. Fuck scalpers, eBay and the splendour resale facility.

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

Or she will play main stage and not clash with a headliner....

berlinchair101 said on the 24th May, 2012

Moar like she'll play my dick bro, aye.

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

01seb

01seb said on the 24th May, 2012

I'm hoping the main stage goes: Lana -> Ladyhawke ->Tame Impala -> Miike Snow -> Bloc Party

But that's probably unlikely.

cozza147

cozza147 said on the 24th May, 2012

So keen on EITS at the northern. :)

truthlies

truthlies said on the 24th May, 2012

adult classifieds: Lana, dirty songstress new to town, will play Berlin sausages

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

My GF did dump me not long after we bought tickets, so her ticket is getting sold to my acid tripper friend. No guesses for who was going to be more fun to go with anyways...

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

I thought you were edge?

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

Im more of a christian

HUUURRRRRRR

Braveheart81 said on the 24th May, 2012

You really thought Jose was straight edge?

Hah!

tyler07 said on the 24th May, 2012

I forgot to put it in magenta...

Stefan Beck said on the 24th May, 2012

Jose is certainly whacky hat-edge.

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2012

grattan said on the 25th May, 2012

Secret Sounds - There are literally FIVE Django Django tickets left for Sydney. These will be gone in a millisecond. Hurry!

There are 110 more comments. View them all