Prince tour rumour update

Update: (29/3/12)
Another tweet from Prince’s touring keyboard player Cassandra O’Neal has further strengthened the tour rumour. When asked about the possibility of an Australian tour, and if Adelaide would be on the schedule, O’Neal offered the tantalising reply “Stay tuned….:)”

Prince’s DJ, DJ Rashida, has also sent tweets that seem to confirm that an Australian tour announcement is imminent. Asked if she’ll be coming to Australia with Prince the DJ replied with a non-committal, yet very promising, ”:))))”. Rashida also mentions that she’ll be heading “far down south soon ;)” and that she’s “Very excited about the next 2 months.. The stars have aligned & it’s Goin down! Stay tuned..”

Prince tour rumours appear every few months so when monger extraordinaire Nui Te Koha declared on the weekend that “Prince will announce the Australian tour this week” it was hard not to be a little sceptical.

After all the ‘news’ does come from a man who has assured us in the past that we’d be seeing Blink 182 and Limp Bizkit at the 2010 BDO; Blink 182 and Prince at this year’s BDO 2012; and Bruce Springsteen at this year’s AFL Grand Final. However it looks like this time around he might actually be onto something – guess if you throw out enough predictions the odds are that eventually you’ll get one right.

Thanks to a the fanatical fans on the Prince forums we now know that one of Prince’s two touring keyboard players, Cassandra O’Neal, was asked on Twitter if she would be “going to Australia with Prince later this year?” and her answer “Yes hopefully….:)” does seem to lend some credibility to the idea that a tour is in the works.

However, O’Neal, who has been a member of Prince’s backing band since 2009, was unable to offer any further clues telling another fan that she has no idea if the tour will be heading to New Zealand.

Comments

Brian B

Brian B said on the 27th Mar, 2012

If he does tour, I hope it will be a better venue than the SCG.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Arena tour please. Would travel interstate for arena tour over stadium

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Didnt you hear, its melb and sydney only.....soz

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Stadium? You're tripping if you think Prince is that popular...

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Mar, 2012

SEC I'd wager.

Also $400 tickets.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 27th Mar, 2012

I'd like to see Prince... but only if the set was 80s/90s heavy.
I couldn't name 1 song he has done in the last 12 - 15 years...

grattan said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Not even Musicology?

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Last Sydney gig was at the Ent Cent, about 10 years ago.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Not even Musicology?

Not bad very funky, no hadn't heard that one before.

Brian B

Brian B said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I just had a look and apparently he did a series of shows at the the Ent Cent and then a final show at the SCG (which is the one I saw) the sound was terrible (surprise surprise). Did you see the one of the Ent Cent shows?

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Only here cos of Prince. Don't get excited. So, any news following this article that I don't already know?

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Mar, 2012

WHY DON'T YOU PREDICT WHAT WILL HAPPEN

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I predict that we will get an announcement by friday afternoon for shows in Sydney and Melbourne for September/October at Rod Laver and Acer. But I am hoping for a somewhat better result.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I'm more hoping for a Cr1zZ comeback than a Prince tour.

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Wish denied. I'm here because the rest of the internet is feeding me the same information as the next and for some overly optimistic reason I felt I would discover something more relevant on FL with regard to what is happening with this supposed tour.

Stefan Beck said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I predict that Cr1zZ is a cool guy.

berlinchair101 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I wish Cr1zZ still liked us.

grattan said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Hey Cr1zZ could you please predict the One Great Night on Earth lineup for us?

Stefan Beck said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I predict Cr1zZ will like the following people:

Dexter Ramone
Radical_Man
TheOriginalSlipdog
Grattan
MorningAfterBoy
KurtDaniel
Shazie
Quicky

Most likely in bold.

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Have a look at his previous Oz dates in his tour history; https://sites.google.com/site/princetourhistory/

Can't believe he supported Rick James back in '80, now that would have been an interesting tour with the Super Freak.

Jose Cuervo said on the 28th Mar, 2012

sticking with late August like I said before

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Cute.

It could be August. I'm still sceptical. In saying that, look what happened with Radiohead- there was an actual announcement.

It's possible.

benr3

benr3 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

SEC I'd wager.

Also $400 tickets.

Maybe not, tix were like $100-$150 in 2003.

Also he has a bit of an issue with ticketmaster and inflated ticket prices, from memory he did a residency in LA a little while ago where all tix to every show were $25.

There's a tv show interview somewhere on youtube where he talks about it

Sam794

Sam794 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

howdy, i'm new to this, but for the last year i've been
following fl, and might i just add my 2 cents.

whilst nui de koha ohh whatever, has told us ratm would be at soundwave revolution, he also told us the offspring, marilyn manson, slipknot, & evanesance would be at soundwave, 3 out of. 4 were actually meant to go.

and radiohead's rumor was true, and seeing big day out actually almost had prince i think adelaide and perth will be seeing prince this time around.

haydendavies

haydendavies said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Back to the real important topic here,

CR1ZZ RETURNS!

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Cr1zZ you seem far less blindly optimistic than before. Been hurt too many times?

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

No I wouldn't say hurt. I would say older and wiser (>insert sarcastic I don't give a shit what you think face and tone<).

As I said, I'm here for Prince. I am far more focussed on working out logistics for another, much larger, gig elsewhere so that is taking up much of my attention.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I like the older and wiser Cr1zZ.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 28th Mar, 2012

howdy, i'm new to this, but for the last year i've been
following fl, and might i just add my 2 cents.

Nui?

grattan said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Update from Cr1zZ and Nui (pals for life!)

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 28th Mar, 2012

I don't he's depressing, like when Simba returned to pride rock for the first time.

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 28th Mar, 2012

"Far down South"? I wonder if that is a hint at a New Zealand concert.

I think it's safe to say he's coming to Australia but it's a case of when. I am also interested in a possible New Zealand show now but that could be asking too much given it's someone that has the ability to pick and choose where they play and when.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 28th Mar, 2012

He should just play Purple Rain in full, followed by a greatest hits encore...

grattan said on the 29th Mar, 2012

Prince's 'official' Twitter weighs in:

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Mar, 2012

As if Prince would have Twitter. Didn't he say "the internet is completely over"?

grattan said on the 29th Mar, 2012

And as if that would be his first tweet, but yeah there's no way Prince is online!

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Mar, 2012

As if Prince would credit the New Power Generation in his twitter name.

Especially as (thanks to Wikipedia) several members of the New Power Generation gave it up to become members of Nick Jonas' Administration.

Prince won't join twitter until they allow him to have a twitter handle of @http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/af/Prince_logo.svg/130px-Prince_logo.svg.png

Sam794

Sam794 said on the 29th Mar, 2012

just to confirm cr1zz, prince has only ever toured australia twice, once in 1992 which he played 5 shows in melbourne, 3 in brisbane, and 7 in sydney.

then again in 2003, which was pretty much the same.

i think adelaide and perth are due for a visit? although with recent acts like lady gaga, the darkness, and niki minaj skipping adelaide it doesn't look promising.

Sam794

Sam794 said on the 29th Mar, 2012

update: although i am the one who asked cassie if prince was coming to adelaide and she replied.

it has to be happening.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Mar, 2012

If I wanted to see someone royal, my preferences would go towards King Khan, Bonnie Prince Billy, Royal Headache, King Tuff, King Krule, King Gizzard.....

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 29th Mar, 2012

it has to be happening.

What was her reply to Adelaide?

I did say I wonder if that means New Zealand, but I don't have high hopes. I do believe to some extent that this Australia tour is legitimate, I find the tweet from Prince (supposedly) pretty unusual so I'm chosing to ignore it.

Has there been any other tweets relevant to this tour?

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Mar, 2012

'Far down south' would obviously be Punta Arenas in Argentina, obviously.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Mar, 2012

Nah, I reckon "Far down South" must be either Bizzos at Caringbah or Waves Nightclub at Wollongong.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 29th Mar, 2012

Possibly The Westernport Hotel in San Remo. They use plastic glassware, essential for any Prince gig. Those Jehovah Witnesses are mad crazy after a cup of sugar drink.

Sam794

Sam794 said on the 29th Mar, 2012

@cr1zz her reply was simply,

"stay tuned.......:)" that's a pretty uplifting answer to give when he's never played adelaide in his life.

my question was "hey, do you know if adelaide is on the tour when you come to australia with prince?"

she could have just said "i don't know, i'm sorry"

it's a long shot.

and i highly doubt prince actually has a twitter, but then again who knows.

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 29th Mar, 2012

This summarises every single forum on gig rumours on FL.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Mar, 2012

FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY
FTFY

(most likely in bold)

grattan said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Nui on the 24th of March - "Prince will announce the Australian tour this week"

How long is a Nui week?

Braveheart81 said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

It's only a rumour that a week lasts 7 days.

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

I, as well as many, I'm sure, found it pretty amusing when, after almost a week, he did an interview near the end of the week in which he said an announcement would be made in where he changed his statement to an announcement will be made "this week, or next week". Starting to doubt himself; I'm suprised it took this long.

Still hopeful though.

Braveheart81 said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

I predict a Culture Club tour!

grattan said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Nui on the 28th:

"Michael Chugg (and Garry Van Egmond) is set to announce a tour by Prince. He still plays the greatest hits tour and it's an amazing show by all accounts. The Big Day Out were chasing [Prince]... there were a couple of promoters from Melbourne who were in the mix as well, they dropped out last week. It seems Prince wants to do three or four dates in each city. [The other promoters] were a bit scared by Lady Gaga and the amazing business that is doing [so dropped out of the bidding war]."

Oh and it looks like those promising tweets from his keyboard players aren't all that promising - she seems be happy to 'hint' at what ever her followers want:

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

I predict a Culture Club tour!

I bid you farewell again.

Braveheart81 said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Oh comeon.

That was gold and you know it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

To be fair, Cr1zZ comes and goes.

HE COOOOOOOOMES AND GOOOOOOOOOOOOOES

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

He'll predict for ya,
he'll predict for ya.

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

The question is did Braveheart really want to hurt Cr1zZ? Did he really want to make him cry?

aliago

aliago said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

First Guttermouth/28 Days, then Prince? Shit's gettin' cray in the Remo...