Ken West sounds off again

Increasingly outspoken Big Day Out promoter Ken West has accused rival festival promoters of using fake names to post comments on Facebook and Twitter “shit canning” his festival.

Commenting on the less than enthusiastic reaction to the Big Day Out lineup on social media, West told Adelaide Now that “With the Facebook and Twitter world, you only have five minutes to convince people now. If they go ‘Pfffft’, then getting them back is really hard. There’s so much vitriol now. You know there’s other promoters putting postings under fake names shit canning your show. All we do (online) is a bit of damage control. I won’t enter that game of ambushing everyone’s stuff.”

The allegations come just weeks after West claimed that Soundwave boss AJ Maddah is a “financial anarchist” and West’s former partner Viv Lees compared his departure from the Big Day Out team to the end of an ‘abusive relationship’

Although the Big Day Out has been forced to down scale several events this year West maintains that “Despite the rumours, the tickets are doing OK. It just cost too much… The talent costs are so high. It was like, ‘If you don’t match that, you don’t get us’. Then you make bad decisions. Tickets for Eminem were up to $400. Good seats for Foo Fighters were $180; they’re festival ticket prices. Something’s got to give.”

Responding to criticism about Kanye West’s place on the lineup Ken West explains that “Kanye’s a hoot. He’s a nutjob. I love having uncompromising artists on the show, except when we ask them to compromise…I believe in every act on the show. I just don’t necessarily believe all those acts should be on the [same] show.”

West also weighed in on the bidding war for a tour from the re-formed Stone Roses, who had been strongly tipped to play at Splendour in the Grass before the festival promoters issued a denial.

The Adelaide Now article claims that The Stone Roses are now “earmarked for Future Music 2013” but Ken West, who was the last Australian promoters to tour the band, claims that “fundamentally they’re not a good live band. It’s a very cynical exercise in what people are prepared to pay for them.”

Social

Comments

daverh

daverh said on the 26th Jan, 2012

I feel like I've peered behind the curtain in Emerald City and found a sad and slightly manic man trying to keep an empire together with tape and chewing gum.

ThatDude123 said on the 26th Jan, 2012

Bet that makes the Heatwave promoters all scarecrows...*puts on sunglasses* Cause they all just need a brain.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hazer

hazer said on the 26th Jan, 2012

this coming from a guy who clearly has been caught out using fake accounts to defend the bdo... and most likely was behind this load of slander -> http://m.fasterlouder.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41065.

ken, stfu. after 20 years, you had a bad year and now you're a 20 year partner down, lost a lot of money and made yourself out to be a total douche.

therat

therat said on the 26th Jan, 2012

Ken looks like my nanna, beard included.

grattan said on the 26th Jan, 2012

There's about as much evidence in this allegation as there is in the comments from Ken West.

Woo! Making accusations is fun!

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Jan, 2012

I wonder how many people are going to start a new festival next Summer?

I'm guessing there'll be a few.

Here's a hint of things that don't work:

- having unsigned/unknown Brisbane bands playing 24 hours a day (BAM!)
- having a multiday camping festival of '80s pop acts targetted at the 40+ crowd (Rewind)
- having a festival full of awful rappers targeted at intellectually impaired bogans (Heatwave)
- having a festival promoted by intellectually impaired bogans (Blueprint)
- haivng a zombie themed festival for bogans (New Beginnings Festival)

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Do you think a 50-year-old man would really use the phrase "soundwave roflution"?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 27th Jan, 2012

this guy is losing it, paranoid much?
I don't see why they have to spend so much money on booking these "big names", there are so many great bands out there that Australia are missing out on.
Maybe he should have checked out Electric Picnic last year for ideas...

hazer

hazer said on the 27th Jan, 2012

one surrounded by 20 somethings trying to come off as a 20 year old? maybe. but yes.. point taken. but i'll give something to soundwave - they never slag the bdo when the bdo slags them.

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Even smaller international festivals like Way Out West (Prince and Kanye) and Electric Picnic (The Chemical Brothers, Arcade Fire) are getting big, fuck-off headliners now, though. We might respect a lineup that is brilliant top to bottom but it doesn't drive interest and create sales the way a big fuck-off headliner does.

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Yeah, you're right; AJ is too busy slagging the bands on his own festival and ostracising the industry by not booking Australian bands to care about slagging anyone else off.

Braveheart81 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Big Day Out has a catch 22 situation whereby their massive success over the last 5-10 years has been driven by a fanbase which isn't particularly knowledgable in the world of music.

As BDO became more popular and more profitable their potential headliners have also narrowed. As far as I can tell, their biggest drawcards are now late '90s/early '00s rock acts. I guarantee if BDO got Blink 182 or RHCP to headline next year their ticket sales would be huge even though most music fans would be outraged by those choices.

hazer

hazer said on the 27th Jan, 2012

well, he books australian bands that are at an international level and haven't played to death here. besides, i'm not defending maddah.. i'm just saying get off your high (literally) horse ken.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Are ND big enough to headline? They'd be a good choice.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I don't know. They've always seem to be brought up for either it or SW.

I've never been more than a casual fan so I don't really have an idea of how popular they are.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Kind of off-topic, but at the Sydney BDO Chris Cheney said something about Ken West being "very unwell".

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I thought he said, "Ken West does well."

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Yeah perhaps my hearing's already going.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

AJ, is that you?

billzbub

billzbub said on the 27th Jan, 2012

i'm not sure about No Doubt being big enough either, but when was the last time they toured Australia? getting them would be a good thing and at least not trawling past lineups in what is the yearly BDO jigsaw puzzle, looking for pieces to fit.

hazer

hazer said on the 27th Jan, 2012

no, i'm not aj. he seems to have no problem saying whatever the fuck he wants under his own name on twitter.

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Braveheart81 is spot on, it feels like BDO hit the point where they couldn't win this year, with who was available to play and what there target demographic wants... i think next year will be interesting to see how they come back.

also, i dont understand why all the SW lovers want BDO to fail....

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I think it's only a matter of time before Soundwave cops some backlash from fans. The fact that it's a niche festival means the lineups will probably become even more recycled than BDO.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Plus AJ's whole burning bridges thing can only make that limited pool of acts even smaller over time

Oflick said on the 27th Jan, 2012

soundwave next year will probably piss people off. i wouldn't be surprised if they tried for a non-metal headliner, which would probably piss a lot of people off.

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Kanye & jayz for Soundwave 2013!

Braveheart81 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Previously they all went to BDO because it had a couple of big metal/punk/hardcore acts and was really the only festival that did this.

Soundwave comes along with a lineup that pretty much caters to their tastes so suddenly they think BDO is crap. What they're ignoring is that BDO has always tried to cater to many genres, not just the Soundwave genres.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Yeah, there was a fair amount of heavy music at this years BDO. People just seemed to see Kanye and think "OMG itz all da rap pop shiiit"

And I know I seem to be a perpetual BDO defender but I didn't think the crowd this year was any worse than usual.

It certainly wasn't any better either. I didn't see any fights or anything, but.

Helmore

Helmore said on the 27th Jan, 2012

it's the fish ken west rejects...

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 27th Jan, 2012

As long as there's money hungry agents, he's not going to have much issue booking the bands he needs..

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

How much money do you think people have been throwing at The Stone Roses?

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 27th Jan, 2012

A lot more than they'd be worth I'd wager.

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

... I didn't think the crowd this year was any worse than usual.

It was the typical bdo crowd... I went into The boiler room for od future(i typically avoid the boiler room). Fuck the people there are painful, a group of them kept calling me Alan(because any guy with a beard looks like zack galifianakis) then they were asking me if I was acid dealer... Fucking pill munchers

Stefan Beck said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I know MAB offered them his life savings to do a show in Wollongong.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

also, i dont understand why all the SW lovers want BDO to fail....

They're like scorned lovers trying to prove how happy they are with their new beau. Afterwards they cry listening to Adele eating a tub of ice cream kissing a picture of the 2004 lineup.

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

That or they will throw a dance/hip-hop act into the mix like Download did and suddenly everyone will hate them. Reading metalheads' reactions on forums to the bookings of Skrillex, Chase & Status and The Prodigy by Download is a pastime of mine.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

There is a hip hop act at SW this year.

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

to help the reluctant scene kids in there transition into hiphop & dubstep

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Bands on the SW underbill don't count because I bet you could sneak Joanna Newsom into it and the metalheads wouldn't give a shit.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

He even has a side show.

He does fit with the undercard though as I have no idea who the fuck he is. The bass player from ATDI is in his band though.

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

that's why there on the bill... so AJ can do the dirty n get ATDI on next yrs lineup

random_hero

random_hero said on the 27th Jan, 2012

it looks like he forgot to take his medication again

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Guy should shut up and focus on Big Day Out 2013. Don't really care what he thinks, it's all about what he can deliver.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 27th Jan, 2012

To be blunt I think Kens arrogance has bitten him and hes still publicly in denial, BUT will secretly take this years critisicm on board for next years show, and hopefully learn that booking an extremely devisive act as your co-headliner, let alone an act that had just recently headlined another major festival on the east coast, was probably a risky/stupid move. You cant please everyone and nor should KW have to, but the GC BDO is a good inidcator that even the festivals reputation for excellent organisation, sound quality etc, wasnt enough this year to maintain the loyalty that a lot of punters have shown the festival in the past decade, in the face of a lineup that they, well.....disliked.

IMO KW is simply to good at what he does to not rectify the problems this years festival has faced, and will win back the majority of cynics next year, selling out all East Coast shows in the process and a good number of NZ Sideshows as well.

AJ Maddah on the other hand will no doubt think that he now boasts the resiliency of a cockroach coupled with the booking power of Michael Eavis following the collapse of SWR followed by the rise of SW itself, leading to him promising the management of Kid Rock, Linkin Park, Guns'n'roses etc, headline shows at the Opera House + Old Parliament House......these sideshows will then be named : 'the HOUSE party tour'

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

^ Does anybody actually read this guy's rants?

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 27th Jan, 2012

be fair I havent had a rant for a while, the aboves a wee bit sizeable granted, but thats what a 3:30 visit to the nespresso machine does to my 'over enthausiasm filter'

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I used to be an over-enthusiactic ranter like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

(No seriously, I just got shot send help)

tyler07 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I had a listen to Hyro da Hero and he's got a nice RATM-esque thing going on, might suss him out at SW if there is nothing else on.

batdan

batdan said on the 27th Jan, 2012

These bands have always been the essence of the Big Day Out and 20 years ago they were the bands of my youth. Now I'm in my late 30's I will only go to the BDO if any of those bands still play. I bought tix this year soley for Soundgarden, last year for Tool and when RATM played.

This year was a big gamble with Kanye West, I'm sure all of Yeezy's fans loved it but Ken West has to serioulsy think about booking such acts which are
1) expensive
2) not rock
3) difficult to deal with
4) not played a festival a few months earlier
5) not willing to tour the whole country

crob said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Yeezy killed it last night... He put on An amazing show, though I do think that soundgarden & kanye don't work as co headliners...

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 27th Jan, 2012

(No seriously, I just got shot send help)

lol @ stupid Nords and their aversion to 'greaves'

yeah exactly what I thought, looked the goods at Download (fingers crossed my lil Kiwi Mate MN hasnt given me a bum steer with the video posting instructions)

tyler07 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Does anybody else think that Ken West has seen Soundwave become increasingly successful and have AJ Maddah as the figurehead of that, and is possibly trying to emulate that?

Just a thought.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

On another note, FL lead me to believe that BDO owned like half of Soundwave, and that the two festivals were pretty much best buds. And then Ken goes all mouthy towards AJ, and I don't know what to believe.

Slip_dog

Slip_dog said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Cause Faster Louder speaks shit^

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 28th Jan, 2012

He's got a pretty stylish 'do going on there, though.

ThatDude123 said on the 28th Jan, 2012

The recent reorganisation of BDO touring + the continued success of soundwave touring means that the two now exist as separate entities.

I'd also make a punt that Ken West always thought that of AJ, but now that the business is essentially him + the Americans, he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 28th Jan, 2012

Yeah it seems as though perhaps Vivian was keeping Ken from speaking out to the media about anything, but now that he's out of the picture, Ken is making use of his freedom.

sydney_scene

sydney_scene said on the 28th Jan, 2012

completely off topic, but i just finished working with kanye on the sydney leg of his tour, i asked him whether the "watch the throne" tour will come to australia, was a very strong no from him, after australia the throne tour embarks in europe, but 110% no aus :(

batdan

batdan said on the 28th Jan, 2012

I don't think they needed to speak to the media prior to the debacle of this year. Promoters speaking out doesn't seem to do them any favours.

tyler07 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Should I believe that you spoke to Kanye? No.
Am I going to believe you? No.

Jose Cuervo said on the 29th Jan, 2012

That guy got to meet kanye.....santos will be jelly

ThatDude123 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Which one are you?

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

I don't think they even needed to speak out this year. If anything, it has intensified the vitriol.

batdan

batdan said on the 29th Jan, 2012

They did have some explaining to do after they changed the stages for NZ, SA and WA.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Yeah I guess some explaining was warranted, but Ken seems to have gotten drunk on the publicity.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Well at least its good to hear something from BDO then nothing.

tyler07 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

I would much rather the 'nothing' option from Soundwave. I guess it's a maddah of opinion though.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Woaaaah. Watch out for the guy with the puns. I swear he didn't punintend for that one to happen.

In other news, I don't think AJ Maddah is that bad to be honest.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 29th Jan, 2012

You have to give Maddah credit. Before he came along, I didn't know how ridiculously entertaining a business concert promoting could be. He managed to make Portishead go on a Twitter rant about how terrible he is.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

That amazing considering you would never ever think that a band like Portishead would say that to him.

tisvul

tisvul said on the 30th Jan, 2012

the problem with the bdo is that it has lost it's sense of itself. what started as an alternative festival has been warped into something that the fans/regulars do not understand. you simply can't change your headliners over the years from the likes of tool, metallica, rage, foo fighters, hole, limp bizkit, marylin manson, rhcp shit the list goes on of amazing rock bands to kanye west, whatever gallager brother it was and countless dj's. you lost yourself and with it the magic. shame on you for thinking you could fool us.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Stefan Beck said on the 30th Jan, 2012

I hope that the Big Day Out never happens again so I can stop reading the insane ramblings of certified shitmunchers.

Jose Cuervo said on the 30th Jan, 2012

We'll still be stuck with santos though

Slip_dog

Slip_dog said on the 1st Feb, 2012

He just wanted him there so they could "west to west" in the back room.

ThatDude123 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Everything I know about shitmuching I know from you. And Slip_dog.

boromisa

boromisa said on the 6th Feb, 2012

few of my friends went to bdo this year said it was crap. ticket sales indicate the same. why's fasterlouder giving them free ads?

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Are you really that retarded?

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 6th Feb, 2012

I'd say get new friends but it seems like you fit each other pretty well.

gumbuoy said on the 6th Feb, 2012