Image for Radiohead for Splendour In The Grass 2012?

Radiohead for Splendour In TheGrass 2012?

Radiohead have been confirmed as the headliner for Fuji Rock 2012, adding weight to this week’s buzz that the band will bringing their King Of Limbs tour to Australia sooner rather than later.

Despite rumours emerging earlier this week that Thom Yorke and co will be headed to New Zealand in November, the band’s announcement on Fuji Rock 2012 – alongside the previously confirmed Stone Roses – also makes them a chance for Splendour In The Grass.

Last year Splendour shared nine bands with Fuji Rock and three with the other major festival of the Japanese summer – Summersonic – but when FasterLouder spoke to Splendour organiser Jess Ducrou in 2011 she revealed that the relationship between the three festivals is likely to be even closer in 2012. “We’ve always had a light dialogue on dates and so on,” she explained, “but interestingly this year we have started talking more with them and I think that will really benefit everyone.”

Ducrou also revealed that booking the lineup has become a year round job. Coldplay contacted Splendour during the 2010 festival to begin negotiations for this year’s headline set and Ducrou revealed that the plans for the 2012 lineup had begun three months before Kanye and Coldplay had hit the stage at this year’s festival. “We’re already talking about next year 15 months out from the festival,” she told FL. “That’s not just headliners, that’s from a broad range of acts including acts that we approached this year that couldn’t do it but want to try and fit it in next year. It’s becoming a never ending job.”

Hey it may only be January, but when the Splendour rumours are this juicy it’s hard not to get a little bit excited.

Update: Splendour In The Grass have dispelled Radiohead and Stone Roses_ rumours tweeting:

Re the speculation about Radiohead @ SITG this year, we’d like to officially dispel these rumours, unfort they’re not playing Splendour 2012

And while we’re here… brace yourselves… ditto for The Stone Roses, they won’t be playing Splendour 2012 either :-(

Sad Face indeed!

Social

Comments

crob said on the 11th Jan, 2012

if it happens it better not be another fucking exclusive to splendour show

Hinee

Hinee said on the 11th Jan, 2012

it feels like so many people have fucking blueballs over radiohead. can't wait for this to actually be confirmed so the collective of australian mangravy can finally be released and i can stop seeing them at the top of every festival wishlist.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 11th Jan, 2012

I am super excited for this years, back in byron the spiritual homeland and radiohead or not, surely another massive lineup!

iNegro

iNegro said on the 11th Jan, 2012

@crob. Since they're mourned to be touring New Zealand in November, we could end up with a Splendour only show in July and then an international tour in November. It wouldn't be the first time a band did something like that.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 11th Jan, 2012

RADIOHEAD and STONE ROSES slays last years Splendour headliners, hope it's true... can't wait!

Ticky_McGregor

Ticky_McGregor said on the 11th Jan, 2012

Would the fact that Fuji Rock is on the weekend of the 28/29 July indicate that Splendour won't be on this weekend? Or have they been on the same weekend before, I seem to recall a few years ago there was talk (or it may have happened) of bands playing Fuji one day and then playing Splendour the next.

Edit: Found the internet and worked it out myself. They are pretty much always on the same weekend.

Matt Akersten

Matt Akersten said on the 12th Jan, 2012

well this would be awesome.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Herald Sun's journalist extraordinairre Nui Te Koha reckons Stone Roses are locked in for March 2013...

By his previous efforts, Stone Roses are obviously playing Splendour this year

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

By his previous efforts, Stone Roses are obviously playing Splendour this year

His next announcement will be that they've moved the tour to July 2012 but Mick Jagger won't be singing.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 12th Jan, 2012

somebody get the hose! dad's on fire this morning!

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 12th Jan, 2012

When does Splendour usually announce their headliners? I just want to know when I need to go out and stock up on hand lotion and tissues.

craig123

craig123 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

April last year , but around March/April in the past. Last year I think was later.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Cool. I'll put in some bulk orders now then to help me save some money for purchasing the actual tickets.

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Splendour announce everything all at once don't they? They don't muck about with multiple line ups.

chico21

chico21 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I always thought tix went onsale early May. Lineup was usually announced just before that. I would like to know if Radiohead are playing to save me the flight to LA...

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Word is that they will drip feed the headliner this year letter by letter over the space of a few weeks. It will go something like this...

R......... A..........D........... I........... O........... B........... I........... R.......... D.......... M.......... A........... N

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 12th Jan, 2012

deanoss

deanoss said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Remember when AJ said any Australian festivals would be crazy to have Limp Bikzit on their tour?

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Pretty sure a crowd surge is the last thing to be worried about for LB now, unless it's away from the stage

Also wrong thread

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Smart move by SITG to nip the rumour in the bud if it isn't true.

The last thing they would want is to release their lineup and for everyone to be disappointed because they'd been assuming for months that Radiohead were going to be on the bill.

janeygotagun

janeygotagun said on the 12th Jan, 2012

what do you think? post your comment...

juggers

juggers said on the 12th Jan, 2012

smart move by sitg to nip the rumour in the bud if it isn't true.

the last thing they would want is to release their lineup and for everyone to be disappointed because they'd been assuming for months that radiohead were going to be on the bill.

this.

we all would have cried

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

&(*y#%(*&h$#(*^h(*$ty(ubn(hw*)#jh%)*bng(u+fg+)u#)*tujh)*fhg)*bn#*fqb)*nr)*#bn

ThatDude123 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Fuck this shit I'm going to Japan

tauiwi

tauiwi said on the 12th Jan, 2012

"Fuck You Derek.. Fuck You" - Will Ferrell

At least It'll save me some cash.

Piko

Piko said on the 12th Jan, 2012

My girl wanted me to go to Japan, Fuji Rock might get me there. With those 2 popular headline acts dispelled i am near tempted to reject my free ticket to splendour. Curious to see if they get anything quality that isn't mainstream wank stuff like last year. Sorry Yeezy, You can punch me for that comment next Friday.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 12th Jan, 2012

hey piko, we haven't spoken much lately, but i think you're a really top bloke.

gumbuoy said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Urrrrgh, didn't we have this conversation, like, two days ago?

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Obviously it's The Arcade Fire

Piko

Piko said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Just because I have had the same avatar for nearly as long as you doesnt make us friends, I prefer people with more variation in their lifestyle.

shazie said on the 12th Jan, 2012

SITG squashing the rumours makes me even happier that I won't be here then. And that I will get to see the stone roses :D

It does now raise some interesting questions of who will headline splendour now.

Bloc Party seem like a likely headliner, with Splendour always getting them whenever they tour and a new album out this year.

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jan, 2012

hahaa snap

edit: at piko

01seb

01seb said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Interesting that they didn't dispel Arcade Fire, as they're always a massive rumour...

I think they might have got 3 of the following:

Arcade Fire
Franz
The Killers (new album should be out before Splendour)
Muse (new album is progressing way quicker than they thought it would, and should be out around Splendour time, and they won't do BDO again for a few years)
Bloc Party
The Strokes (still no Aussie tour and they've played before)

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Muse, franz and arcade fire would be nice.

themhumm

themhumm said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Prob doing a Mogwai, coming to play splendour back in November for Harvest.

definitely not complaining though!!!

gumbuoy said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I think you'll find that's because "massive rumour" = "they're not playing any other gig at that exact moment, therefore they MUST be playing!"

Followed by wailing and gnashing of teeth when it doesn't come through.

Whereas the Radiohead/Stone Roses thing was based on the Fuji Rock announcement, and since everyone blows their load on the Fuji Rock announcement each year, SITG did the right thing and got out ahead of it.

tyler07 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Bloc Party will not be in Australia in 2012. I am willing to put money on this.

billzbub

billzbub said on the 12th Jan, 2012

^ i'm happy about that.
i'd like to see a different bunch of main acts play SITG this time around. getting tired of the rehashed bands on festivals thing of late...it's kinda like playing scrabble with only vowels.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 12th Jan, 2012

No, it's nothing like that, at all

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

If they played I would watch them but I wouldn't be sad if they didn't play.

I don't think The Strokes will tour us this album cycle a la Arctic Monkeys pre-Humbug.

tyler07 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

If they played I would watch them but I wouldn't be sad if they didn't play.

I'm predicting that the new Bloc Party album will drop September-ish and then we'll either see them as a BDO headliner or a headlining tour (please be this) early next year. Could not be more keen for another Bloc Party tour, but yeah, definitely don't think we'll see them this year. Wouldn't make sense to be on hiatus for a fair while and then tour before a new album that they're currently working on drops...

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Splendour should get The Futureheads and possibly The Zutons back.

shazie said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I think they might have got 3 of the following:

Arcade Fire
Franz
The Killers (new album should be out before Splendour)
Bloc Party
The Strokes (still no Aussie tour and they've played before)

I reckon you could lock in Franz for the set just before the headliner of a night.

Muse I would very very highly doubt them playing Splendour this year. Next year sounds much more likely to me if they were going to play. Also, if they play this year I would have to murder someone.

The Strokes headlined in 2010 so I doubt they'd be back this soon to headline again. A standalone tour seems more likely because they haven't done a full Aussie our yet.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I think they might have got 3 of the following:

Arcade Fire
Franz
The Killers (new album should be out before Splendour)
Bloc Party
The Strokes (still no Aussie tour and they've played before)

I can't see Arcade Fire playing. They must be pretty much done touring The Suburbs by now. I'd be expecting a new album sometime in 2013 and a hopefully an Aussie tour following that.

tauiwi

tauiwi said on the 12th Jan, 2012

If the SITG organisers are in the business of squashing significant rumours, I propose we make our way through the list and get them to assist us in a game of elmination.

Anyone want to write the article, "The Arcade Fire for Splendour 2012?"

If we do 2 a day....

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 12th Jan, 2012

if arcade fire, bloc party, and the strokes play, I'll be jetting to splendour via the rocket in my pants.

Hinee

Hinee said on the 12th Jan, 2012

just give me your fuckin ticket

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Now with added update the article can be summarised as: "Radiohead might be playing Splendour, but aren't."

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jan, 2012

If he's giving the ticket to anyone it better be me dammit

*i don't really want it

Hinee

Hinee said on the 12th Jan, 2012

jose what's with your outward stance of not going to splendour any more?

01seb

01seb said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Apparently Splendour is on a different date to Fuji Rock this year. My source is that one of my best friends works for one of the major sponsors for next year's event.

Edit: It's going to be 2 weeks later than Fuji, so on the 10-12th August

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Doing Coachella so not bothering at all with Splendour this year. I would like to make it back at least once more, but hell id be fine if I never go to go again.

Ticky_McGregor

Ticky_McGregor said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Edit: It's going to be 2 weeks later than Fuji, so on the 10-12th August

Boourns

Hinee

Hinee said on the 13th Jan, 2012

I'm always dubious about "my mate works for this company who are affiliated" but that's pretty interesting nontheless. 2 weeks seems an unfeasibly long time for major acts to bother coming from japan though.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jan, 2012

My girlfriend worked for a company that used to have a connection to SITG. They never knew anything about the festival this far in advance.

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Jan, 2012

I've gotten dates for splendour this early previously through people. Made booking accom in Byron for a week super cheap. Think i paid 2500 for a 10 person house for a week. Was like a 5 minute walk east if town too, was perfect

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Yeah that was what I was going for.....flexing ma wizard powahs

byclare

byclare said on the 14th Jan, 2012

i love splendour rumours, they're like a source of entertainment in their own right. i'm still hoping the shins will drop by with their new album this year.