Image for Big Day Out promoter Ken West gets vocal about Soundwave

Big Day Out promoter Ken Westgets vocal about Soundwave

Update: Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah has responded to Ken West tweeting , “That is awesome. I am putting that on my email signature-line.

Big Day Out promoter Ken West has labelled AJ Maddah a “financial anarchist” and indicated that the Soundwave organiser’s business model has gone some way in destablising Australia’s festival market.

In an interview with the The Vine yesterday, West spoke openly about his festival rival, saying: “I’ll say it to his face — I don’t think AJ’s got any interest in anything but his own agenda. He hasn’t got any interest in the Australian music scene whatsoever. He should go to another country. He’s done more harm to what was a reasonably stable business here by being a financial anarchist. And it’s a bit of a shame really. ‘Cause having 90 international acts come in on one show—I don’t even know how that’s legal. There’s no financial logic to what he’s doing, and I’ve just got to ride that out. That’s all it really comes down to.”

While West was happy to acknowledge Maddah’s success, noting “Hat’s off to him, he’s done really well this year,” he also vented frustration at watching other promoters appropriate a model his brand invented, to the detriment of his own event: “But the one thing is, we started first. [We] planned it first, and [now] pretty much all the other events have taken the research and development that we’ve done and put it back into their own show. [Without] offering any new revelations or efforts, without [now] copying what we’ve already done.”

“I’m more than happy to say that. And I think that in the long run I would hope that [Maddah] could become a little bit more…caring. You know, this is the guy who said he didn’t like doing timesheets with Portishead. It’s easy to write on your press release what [your festival’s] going to be. It’s really hard to do it.”

The interview comes only weeks after West spoke to the New Zealand Herald about how close the Big Day Out came to folding in 2012, following the departure of his partner Viv Lees earlier this year. In that same article he touched on the growing competitiveness of Australia’s Festival market, noting: “It was kind of a perfect storm in effect. The competition levels in Australia went crazy. The bidding wars went crazy. Everything got bidded up. “

The usually vocal Maddah has yet to respond to the West’s comments, although there will no doubt be many eyes on his twitter account today.

Big Day Out dates
Friday 20th January – Auckland Mt Smart Stadium
Sunday 22nd January – Gold Coast Parklands
Thursday 26th January – Sydney Showground
Sunday 29th January – Melbourne Flemington Racecourse
Friday 3rd February – Adelaide Showground
Sunday 5th February- Perth Claremont Showground

Comments

Oflick said on the 12th Jan, 2012

yeah man, i'm so sick of royksopp touring here it's getting annoying. and that cage the elephant need to change their name to caged inside australia for how many times they've been here.

besides, if bdo didn't book soundgarden you can bet soundwave would've booked them and people would've shat their pants. as others have said, it's because a lot of festivals now cater to a specific crowd for a genre, whereas big day out is about booking bands from a lot of different genres. it just seems that the mix didn't work to their favour for a lot of people this time, sadly. there's a lot of great bands on that lineup though and it'll be a great day

yeah i still don't get how soundgarden didn't cause more excitement. i also would have thought people would be happy with kanye, but it was not to be.

i hope they don't take the response to bdo 2012 to mean "lose all variety" for any future bdos.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Story updated with Maddah's response

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I'm going to send him an email just to see if it's true.

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

AJ Maddah
Financial Anarchist, Internet Cunt, Saviour of Princess Peach and Notorious Ice Cream Thief

ExRoadie

ExRoadie said on the 12th Jan, 2012

lol.. he thinks the music industry here is stable. that's hilarious. i had to work at reduced pay at at a festivall because the promoter booked all the international acts without quite thinking about how they'll pay for it. retrospectively, my company was marking me up too but i was the lighting engineer for a stage and i walked away barely making the ticket price of one festival goer. live music here is a joke because it preys on the love of music the technicians have instead of paying them what they are truly worth. and instead, 2 or 3 greedy people at the top of the food chain reap all of the benefits.

ExRoadie

ExRoadie said on the 12th Jan, 2012

lol. he thinks the music industry here is stable. that's hilarious. i had to work at reduced pay at at a festival because the promoter booked all the international acts without quite thinking about how they'll pay for it. retrospectively, my company was marking me up too but i was the lighting engineer for a stage and i walked away barely making the ticket price of one festival goer. live music here is a joke because it preys on the love of music the technicians have instead of paying them what they are truly worth. and instead, 2 or 3 greedy people at the top of the food chain reap all of the benefits.

tyler07 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

You could probs chuck in raging coke-fiend and puppy dog eater as well, BC.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

perhaps soundwave could do with some more australian bands, but i'd hate to think they ever turned down a great international band for a poor australian band just for the sake of having more australian bands.

So instead he turns down great Australian bands (I assume) for many many poor international bands just for the sake of having more international bands.

tyler07 said on the 12th Jan, 2012

I'm well aware that i'm definitely in the minority with my soft-spot for Tonight Alive, but booking them, Heroes for Hire and Dream on Dreamer doesn't give me the impression that AJ is in to 'great Australian bands'...

In fact Break Even on this year's lineup, and Carpathian in 2008 are the only two good Aussie bands he's ever booked.

random_hero

random_hero said on the 12th Jan, 2012

since when did bdo have a show n shine show

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 12th Jan, 2012

If AJ Maddah managed to get My Bloody Valentine out for Harvest or a related event, he would literally be the greatest concert promoter working in Australian music history and anything else he has done or would do from then on wouldn't matter anymore.

DO IT AJ. DO IT TODAY.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 12th Jan, 2012

could we possibly assume the reason that AJ hasnt booked any 'good up and coming' Aussie bands on the Soundwave lineup, is that the majority of the current crop of up and coming and/or relevant Australian acts or bands, are either Indie Pop or Hip Hop?........cant really picture Foster the People or New Navy playing a set inbetween DEPlan and Lamb of God..........................as for washed up headliners, seeing SOAD again will be sweet and I'll be kind of excited to see LB if their recent setlists contain a good chunk of their old stuff, but its the Midcard which really drove me to buy a ticket

Machine Head - 'The Blackening' is arguably the best Metal album to be released in the last decade

Gojira - Has anyone seen any clips of their set at Vieilles Charrues Festival ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZLmfLk3l0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIVJ7aLHTE&feature=related f*****g amazing

Mastodon - Enough Said

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 12th Jan, 2012

Foster The People are American

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Mastodon are amazing and it will be a shame to see them relegated to a shitty 45 minute set on a tiny stage.

batdan

batdan said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Festival set times sholud be at least an hour. If that means cutting the amout of bands on the bill, so be it.

Stefan Beck said on the 13th Jan, 2012

But that would mean missing out sets by My Fingers Are Box Cutters, The Impending Molestation Investigation and Kneel Down And Scream A Bloody Prayer!

batdan

batdan said on the 13th Jan, 2012

How silly of me. Carry on as usual festival type people.

The Snake Lady

The Snake Lady said on the 13th Jan, 2012

i think ken west should have seen the writing on the wall when splendour didn't sell out in 3-4 hours... a lot of his line up is splendour revisited... and kayne's appearance was billed as his only aust show... and still splendour didn't sell out... time for 'grown' men to accept their losses and to stop bitching and blaming others for their own poor choices in headliners!!

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Jan, 2012

How many acts played splendour last year and bdo this year? Off the top of my head all i can think of is Foster the People and Kanye form the internationals

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Foster The People, Kanye West, The Vaccines, Cut Off Your Hands.

Architecture In Helsinki, Boy And Bear, The Jezabels, Drapht.

I think there's more, but I'unno.

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Jan, 2012

So basically BDO jsut stole all of splendours line up but added in royksopp, soundgarden and Mariachi el Bronx

k cool

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 13th Jan, 2012

They're pretty much exactly the same festival, all the whingers are 100% right about that.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Didn't Cage the Elephant play Splendour as well?

MonoStone

MonoStone said on the 13th Jan, 2012

yeah, they may be using a model he "invented" (because no-one's ever heard of woodstock) but if you look at the current bdo line up, this self righteous prick is the only one who has been detrimental to it. kanye funking west for funk's sake. i looked at the line up and there is only 2 bands i want to see and fuck all aussie bands anyway. a$$hole! his current line made me vomit... literally! i used to like the bdo but now i would like to say a big f u bdo!!!

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 13th Jan, 2012

I agree with you. Kanye West is funky as hell.

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Seeing as no one died due to high velocity explosions from my dick, I think it's pretty clear that they didn't

I am very glad you are not going.

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Alotta people sure do hate kanye. He seems to be the reason why so many people don't wanna go.....loltards

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure the only way Woodstock and BDO (or nearly any modern festival, for that matter) are only comparable in that they featured a bunch of acts playing in quick succession in a single location. Do you think he's claiming to have invented music festivals or something?

Hating music from your own country ain't cool anymore, champ.

01seb

01seb said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Which is strange. Me and my friends see a perfectly good headliner in Noel Gallagher on the Green Stage and therefore don't have to have anything to do with Kanye the whole festival. Problem solved.

radical_man

radical_man said on the 13th Jan, 2012

i wouldn't have thought reunion acts would constitute washed up. still, it's a bit too convenient that system of a down reformed right after serj's second solo album did so poorly...

last year's had a few i would consider washed up though, but slash was number 1 in the list of washed up.

i don't know, i probably use "washed up" differently (read: incorrectly).

I a washed up anna lissen a My Blooody Valentine,,. AAnd me friend he does the drying up and a putting away.

radical_man

radical_man said on the 13th Jan, 2012

I got a dish a "washer" but I washed up inna sink because e I has only a eight things a get washed up

truthlies

truthlies said on the 13th Jan, 2012

What is all this washed up business. Go do your dishes, and I'll listen to black dahlia and Kvelertak while I rape your mum. lol

Black Label Society
Dillinger
Gojira
Machine Head

truthlies

truthlies said on the 13th Jan, 2012

Black Label Society
Dillinger
Gojira
Machine Head

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 13th Jan, 2012

jerry_cantrell

jerry_cantrell said on the 14th Jan, 2012

ken is a douche. these days i'd much prefer going to soundwave's bill than the big (load of shit) day out.

bigval

bigval said on the 14th Jan, 2012

Sour grapes and obviously resorting to hypocritical shit like this because ticket sales aren't as good as he likes.

You gotta love an ultra-commerical sellout like West who would have Muse headline every second year if he could in between the Lily Allen & Kanye West years, attacking an exclusively hard rock/metal festival.

I'm old enough to remember when the BDO was an exclusively alt rock festival before they shut it down for a year and brought it back as a "whatever band are getting their 15 minutes" money making venture.

This so reminds me of Gerry Harvey bitching about online sales despite becoming a billionaire from gaming the local market.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 14th Jan, 2012

Apparently ticket sales are better than 2009.

"Exclusively alt-rock" No, they've had hip hop and dance and everything since day one.

berlinchair101 said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Lilly Allen was fucking awesome.

shazie said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Muse have headlined once and now suddenly you act as if they headline all the time? I mean sure they play every 3 years but that's perfectly healthy and they've been headliner once. And the only way I'd count them as a sellout is because you know they're going to put on a great performance so it's easy to choose them.

You're having a whinge about bdo should be an 'alt-rock' festival (which it's always had tons of different genres anyways) and yet you're slagging off one of the few rock bands from modern day times who suit arenas and stadiums perfectly and are a top notch live band to boot?

I know I've said this somewhere before, but gtfo before I start to advertise some bowling in your direction.

bigval

bigval said on the 15th Jan, 2012

GTFO before I open up on the BDO fanboi.

And champ before you typed that out you should've gone and checked that Muse have headlined twice.

No the BDO didn't used to have tons of different genres, I was talking about pre '98

Kids these days.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Yeah, BDO was an exclusively rock-based festival before 1998. That's why that totally awesome rock band Bjork headlined in 1994.

shazie said on the 15th Jan, 2012

GTFO before I open up on the BDO fanboi.

Kids these days.

2007, Tool headlined and Muse were on before them. Or are you getting too caught up in your nostalgia of only going to bdo2002 and only because of tomohawk?

Stupid people these days..

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Oh yeah, that's the guy who had a chance to see New Order but didn't. Silly guy.

batdan

batdan said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Isn't big val a girl? I forget what shazie is.

shazie said on the 15th Jan, 2012

It'll forever be a mystery

gumbuoy said on the 16th Jan, 2012

So, just to recap the conversation so far:

Internet: "God AJ is such a DICK. I mean, he puts together great festivals, but he's a massive tool."
Ken West: "AJ is a bit cantankerous to work with. He took some of the lessons we learnt putting on a national touring festival, but he can be hard to work with."
Internet: "Ken West, you're such a DICK. AJ is awesome and everything he does is great, talk about sour grapes. He sold out a festival circuit that is about a third the size of yours, so STFU!!"

That's about right, isn't it? Ken West is saying what we've all been saying for 3 years, and therefore, he's a bitter, twisted old man who's lost it?

Braveheart81 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

That's pretty much it.

For extra credit you could have included a mention of Kanye West and Richard Kingsmill and how together with Ken West they are ruining the music industry.

tyler07 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Ken West is 100% on the money with AJ not having created a sustainable model for Soundwave. If he's not careful, Soundwave won't exist in a few years because of how much he has over-toured bands and recycled lineups.

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Quality thread is quality. I do wonder if AJ ever comes on here and reads them..

crob said on the 16th Jan, 2012

not to mention the amount of bridge’s he burns down on twitter

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Okay I should've said almost exclusively and she was certainly 'alternative' back then.

Check out the bills pre-98 compared to 99 onwards.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Stupid people these days..

Muse co-headlined in '07 and then headlined again in 2010.

This internets thing isn't really working out for you.

Braveheart81 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Do you not think that BDO has just followed musical tastes over the years?

Hip hop and EDM were less popular in Australia in the '90s and had less representation at BDO because of it. They are more popular now and are being reflected in BDO lineups as such.

If you went to BDO in the '90s or even early '00s you are definitely not in BDO's core demographic in 2012.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

I think New Order are crap you don't, such is life.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Big Val was the name of Pantera's long-time roadie and had a regular role in their tour vids/dvd's.

fwiw I'm a man.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Not defending that douche AJ but you know Soundwave isn't a sustainable model how exactly? It's still going and not downsizing unlike the BDO.

Perhaps AJ doesn't take as big a cut as West usually takes?

Oflick said on the 16th Jan, 2012

okay i should've said almost exclusively and she was certainly 'alternative' back then.

check out the bills pre-98 compared to 99 onwards.

i prefer most of the line ups after 1999. the only things of real interest in pre-1998 are the bands that aren't around any more (like the ramones).

i think he said on twitter it would be downsized next year. hopefully he'll realise having 90 bands in one day wasn't the best idea.

tyler07 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Perhaps AJ doesn't take as big a cut as West usually takes?

It's not sustainable due to exactly what I fucking said: over-touring bands and recycling lineups. You can't be a niche festival and bring out an innovative line-up every year of 80+ international bands when half the line-up return here within 12 months to do headlining tours, and the same mid-card acts play the festival every two years. If it keeps going at this rate then Soundwave won't be an exciting prospect in even 2 years time.

And BDO have sold more tickets then people realise... Their website allocation has sold out for every Australian city plus there would be alot of people who would've bought through Ticketmaster. For the Gold Coast alone that means minimum 30k tickets.

Braveheart81 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

If that is the case then that is a very poor business model.

Music Promotion is a risky business and if you don't make a large profit when things go well (i.e. sell out) then you are destined for disaster. The upside needs to be big because when sales don't go well, you take a bath.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

You're assuming it's not sustainable your personal opinion is irrelevant.

Yeah sure it might not be an exciting prospect in two years time (rehasing the same/similiar bands, although has never really hurt the BDO) but that doesn't mean it's not sustainable.

bigval

bigval said on the 16th Jan, 2012

If that is the case then that is a very poor business model.

I was talking personal cut. Lees/West routinely make millions year in year out from the BDO, I don't remember seeing AJ in the richest promoters list annually unlike them?

Perhaps that's the secret.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 16th Jan, 2012

He's given quite a few reasons why it's not sustainable, it's more of a prediction than an assumption. One that's based on logic

That's your personal opinion, it's equally as irrelevant.

So they're not sustaining interest. In this case, sustained interest = sustained ticket sales.

Yeah, as Shazie said, BDO should really stop bringing out Royksopp, Cage The Elephant and Das Racist - it's getting really old.

shazie said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Muse co-headlined in '07 and then headlined again in 2010.

This internets thing isn't really working out for you.

^there's a link to the NZ 2007 bdo (times would be the same for Aus)

Muse played for 1 hour, Tool played for 1.5 hours; if Muse were co-headlining they would have played for 1.5 hours.

I'd tell you you're stupid again but I think you already know.

Oflick said on the 16th Jan, 2012

^there's a link to the nz 2007 bdo (times would be the same for aus)

muse played for 1 hour, tool played for 1.5 hours; if muse were co-headlining they would have played for 1.5 hours.

i'd tell you you're stupid again but i think you already know.

don't show him that, he might realise that tool's headlined twice!

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 16th Jan, 2012

tl;dr co-headlining implies the two shared equal billing, which they didn't. Sub-headlined would have been a more apt choice of words.

There are only so many big name hard rock/metal acts in the world that can still draw a fair crowd, I'm not surprised if AJ really is downsizing next year.

Oflick said on the 16th Jan, 2012

tl;dr co-headlining implies the two shared equal billing, which they didn't. sub-headlined would have been a more apt choice of words.

there are only so many big name hard rock/metal acts in the world that can still draw a fair crowd, i'm not surprised if aj really is downsizing next year.

he'll probably try for a pop-punk headliner at some stage. apparantely (always a trustworthy word) he's tried for green day in the past, though that could piss of the kind of people who consider soundwave a metal festival.

tyler07 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

There's only one pop-punk band that I could see headlining Soundwave and that would be Blink-182, and if they come here it will be for BDO.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Angels & Airwaves are playing Soundwave, surely it could go either way?

tyler07 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

Yeah, definitely, but if Travis was prepared to get on a plane for BDO then I think it'll be for that. Only a personal opinion though, wouldn't be shocked if they played Soundwave by any means.

On a side-note, I can't imagine Tom Delonge being too happy about clashing with SOAD/not being on the mainstage (according to AJ's twitter anyways) at SW this year... He takes his AvA pretty seriously, I think he would've considered them a much bigger billing than they got...

crob said on the 16th Jan, 2012

i kinder hope he does, i didn't go last year because out of the few bands i wanted to see on the bill most of them were clashing

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 16th Jan, 2012

They are closing a stage though (some bullshit about their lightshow?)and I don't know that there'd be that much of a crossover between SOAD/AA fans (not a fan of either though, so I can't say for sure)

gumbuoy said on the 16th Jan, 2012

No, he isn't. I thought we'd covered this?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 16th Jan, 2012

lol I know! I'll comment this saying that Ken West is totez mad! Hilarious!

berlinchair101 said on the 16th Jan, 2012

If http://www.thevine.com.au/resources/IMGDETAIL/KenWest_main_130112113324.jpg = http://media1.aso.gov.au/titles/blinkfir/blinkfir1__jpg_240x180_crop_q85.jpg

does that mean that

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=134e8de3b86e9511 = http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/_img/chars/char_48545.jpg

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 17th Jan, 2012

i've never quite understood the hate towards "recycled lineups" i don't see what the problem is with a band playing the same festival every time they tour here. whats wrong with a band releasing an album and doing BDO then releasing another album and doing BDO again? like them or not they're going to tour again so why does it matter if they play the same festival each time? so why the anger??

please explain!

Braveheart81 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

If you're not a fan of a band it can still be good to see them at a festival but there's little desire to see them a second time even if they are playing new material.

For instance, I watched a few songs from Rammstein at the last BDO but I don't care how much new music they release I have no desire to ever see them again.

Of course, if you are a fan of a band, you should be happy to see them on a festival lineup again, particularly if they are touring new material.

tyler07 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

please explain!

I'm not opposed to recycled lineups, i'm definitely a person that would go and see a band i'm a fan of regardless of where they're playing at. The point I was more trying to make is AJ just over-tours bands so much to the point where realistically Soundwave will become ridiculously recycled over the next 2 or 3 years and that will lose alot of interest from punters. Soundwave has only been a national festival since 2007, and we've already got international bands playing for the 3rd time this year...

This is true.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 17th Jan, 2012

I want to know when Soundwave is going to start introducing Wrestling and Monster Trucks into its lineup.

Braveheart81 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

Patience young grasshopper. It won't be long.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 17th Jan, 2012

makes sense now. but personally i don't think it makes any difference which festival tours them. if Rammstein were to return with Soundwave i don't think it would be any different to them returning with BDO.

tyler07 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

It doesn't make a difference at all really, but with Soundwave as well, three-quarters (minimum) of the lineup could only realistically play Soundwave and not any other festivals due to the genres of bands...

gumbuoy said on the 17th Jan, 2012

99% of the time, when someone complains about a recycled lineup, they then go, "Why didnt they get bands X, Y and Z to play?"

Which means the complainer doesn't really care about recycled lineups, they just care that their favourite bands aren't playing, and are using the crutch of "recycled lineup" to make it seem less like a trip in the WAAAAAAAAAAAAHMBULANCE.

berlinchair101 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

If the BDO booked all of Soundwave's top tier bands this year* it would be one of the biggest recycled line ups ever.

*excluding Bush.

Braveheart81 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

There's also the people that complain vociferously about how bad the lineup is and then say they're still going.

It really says a lot to the promoter about how much you don't like the lineup if you still buy a ticket.

tyler07 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

This is a very good point.

The amount of times I facepalmed after the BDO lineup was released last year purely just on people complaining about the lineup and then going 'And where's Radiohead/Arcade Fire/Prince/Pearl Jam/Red Hot Chili Peppers/Blink-182/Eminem/The Beatles/Insane Clown Posse? They were rumoured, Why aren't they playing?' was ridiculous.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 17th Jan, 2012

they also don't seem to realise that the organisers almost certainly contacted "Radiohead/Arcade Fire/Prince/Pearl Jam/Red Hot Chili Peppers/Blink-182/Eminem/The Beatles/Insane Clown Posse" and they all said no. so the anger should be targeted at their favourite band/band-they-want-tell-their-mates-they saw for not taking on the offer.

Oflick said on the 17th Jan, 2012

which bands are playing for the 3rd time? quite a few are playing for the second time, haven't noticed any that will be playing for the third time.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 17th Jan, 2012

If you count Gravity Soundwave, Unwritten Law have played 4 times. Madina Lake have also done three, and there's about two dozen acts on this bill who are returning for their second time.

tyler07 said on the 17th Jan, 2012

What monokhrome_nite said.

Oflick said on the 17th Jan, 2012

yeah, a lot of 2nd timers. didn't know about unwritten law and madina lake.

Ish85

Ish85 said on the 18th Jan, 2012

don't care who is playing soundwave, i'd rather crawl in a cave and die

crob said on the 18th Jan, 2012

is it just me, or does it feel like a larger percentage of the soundwave defenders/BDO haters are probably younger then BDO

There are 84 more comments. View them all