Big Day Out 2012 timetables

Following on from the release of their New Zealand set times earlier this week, Big Day Out have finally let the Australian timetables loose into the world.

Only this weekend promoter Ken West gave a candid interview about the difficulties of timetabling next year’s event, following a tumultuous year for the festival. In the press release for the timetables West explains that “The Big Day Out was and always will be about creating the best experience possible. Now that all the confusion has calmed we all hope you feel as excited about these shows as we do. Great music, great atmosphere and much fun to be had by all. Thank you all for your support, it’s much appreciated. Just to set the record straight – there will be no special deals, discounts, “2 for 1’s” or ballots. When it sells out. That’s that.”

There’s also some excellent news on the timetables for punters in Adelaide and Perth with Mariachi El Bronx returning to the lineup and playing double duty with a second set as The Bronx.

Big Day out 2012 timetables

Gold Coast Timetable

Local additions – The Medics, Tigermoth, Johnny G, Loustar, The Red Paintings, The Cairos, Inland Sea, The Blackwater Fever, Fairchild Republic, The Jungle Giants, Stellar Green, Millions, Pirates Alive, Sound On Sound, Red Spencer, Alone With Wolves, Elements Collective, Triple J Unearthed Winners: Dune Rats and My School Act Winners: Double Lined Minority

Sydney Timetable

Local additions – Palms, Chicks Who Love Guns, Purple Sneakers Djs, Cassian, Finger Prince, Rüfüs, Nantes, Bonjah, Triple J Unearthed Winners: Underlights and My School Act Winners: Sons Of Alamo

Melbourne Timetable

Local additions – Hunting Grounds, Naysayer & Gilsun, Bonjah, Mzrizk, Loon Lake, Triple J Unearthed Winners: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard and My School Act Winners: Let’s Not Pretend

Adelaide Timetable

Local additions – Coerce, Dangerous!, Leader Cheetah, Paper Arms, Gold Bloom, Ben David & The Banned, Ride Into The Sun, Mase N Mattic, Koolta, Stubanga, Bollocks Deejays, Nosweet, The Rules, Rad Bad, Triple J Unearthed Winners: The Honey Pies and My School Act Winners: Love Cream

Perth Timetable

Local additions – Pond, Chaos Divine, San Cisco, Boom Bap Pow, The Ghost Hotel, Stereoflower, The Love Junkies, Mc Red, Q-Bik & Seeka Mc, Ekko & Sidetrack, Deadvent, Mumma Says Yes, Brow Horn Orchestra, Sonpsilo Circus, Triple J Unearthed Winners: The Growl and My School Act Winners: 44th Sunset

Comments

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Battles were pretty good the little bit
I saw but I left to see the vaccines

And I am so fucking sunburn right now and in so much pain :'(

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Obvious troll is obvious. We'll call you when Floating Me do another record, champ.

Gotta say, Cage the Elephant were solid - had heard maybe one song before seeing them and the crowd/energy/sound was great. Everyone was having a ball.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

You should buy a ticket to see them at OAF from me!

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

No can do, chickie-babe, will be in the Gong with old mates Gay Paris.

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

The beards that grow together, stay together.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I wish u could see them OAF, it would be amazing

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Gee, thanks for the support kiddo, but I think I'll live.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Well then just suck it up, turn 18 already and buy my ticket.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

If anyone's trying to find an extensive rundown of the Sydney BDO, look no further:

3 bands in 12 hours. Impressive

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

CTE
OFWGKTA
Kasabian

I loved the last paragraph Apart from these acts, the remaining line-up were the All Stars of other festivals who we have seen and loved only 6 months ago and, in conjunction with the outlandish audacity of the teenage crowd and lackluster sound quality, you can’t help asking, “Why bother?” I’m sure Kanye, Ghandi and Buddha would agree.

Yeah man... Soundgarden were sick at Blueprint festival 6 months ago.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Not to mention those Royksopp fella's. Their last 52 date tour was a sure fire hit

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Jan, 2012

not hearing great things about the vaccines or kasabian, may give them a miss at bdo if they're rubbish on Saturday.

so keen for noely boy and CTE.

really don't give a shit about what else I see.

hopefully some tits.

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I saw a bit of The Vaccines when I was looking for a loo. They were fucking atrocious. So, naturally, the whole crowd was loving it.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 27th Jan, 2012

really don't give a shit about what else I see.

hopefully some tits.

I saw these guys yesterday in the D who had singlets on with "BOOBIE PATROL" written on them and they rated each girl they could and wrote on the girl's arms their scores haha so if you get bored or you're up for a laugh then take note.

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

3 bands in 12 hours. Impressive

This is by a friend of mine, actually. Will ask her why she only saw three bands without spitting litres of bile to piss off everyone like I would.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Jan, 2012

looking for the loo and you found shit?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Hey gregg, who are you seeing on Sunday?

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I'll be the nipple ninja.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I haven't really looked, but I think I initially planned:
CTE
Best Coast
The Vaccines
Kasabian
FTP/Soundgarden
Noel

not going alone anymore, a friend got a ticket at the last minute and asked if he could come with me. damn shame, was looking forward to going and getting random thighs around my neck all day. I always seem to get asked, even with mrs Gregg there, shes not all about that though.

anyway,
What about yourself?

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Last night a friend of mine who did go and I started listing all the putrid festival cliches you'd find at a Big Day Out. Can't believe I missed "Group of guys with a "humorous" team name to cover for their extremely perveted and sexist mindsets"

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I haven't really looked, but I think I initially planned:
CTE
Best Coast
The Vaccines
Kasabian
FTP/Soundgarden
Noel

anyway,
What about yourself?

Bolded bands and probably Frenzal, Das Racist, Mariachi El Bronx, Kanye, Architecture In Helsinki and OFWGKTA

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I was the guy wearing the "cunt walloper" singlet.

Me and my bros walked around getting people to kiss the flag and if they didn't we walloped a slut in the cunt.

DISCLAIMER: I am actually ashamed of writing this. But It made me laugh.

ThatDude123 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I was the guy wearing the "cunt walloper" singlet.

DISCLAIMER: I am actually ashamed of writing this. But It made me laugh.

Campbelltown humour

chrisdsingh

chrisdsingh said on the 27th Jan, 2012

please don't tell me this actually happened

someone please tell me it was just their usual Anneli Drecker and not Karin

This would seriously make me cry more than everyone gushing about Kanye

thinking about it, im pretty sure it was anneli but on ''this must be it'' she sounded either exactly like karin or was lip syncing.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 27th Jan, 2012

so who's with me at SEC tonight?

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I made the mistake of not bringing sunscreen because I thought it would be raining 'n such; by the time I could've gotten sunscreen, it was too late. Soooooooooo burnt.

I didn't buy/bring sunscreen because I knew they give it out for free. Good move me!

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I didn't mind the bit of vaccines I saw but there were easily better bands there, also
CTE & Best Coast clash
Thanks for the fuckwit who timetabled that one
I left best coast after 30 seconds as my friend told me CTE would start early as CAC finished early
Which they then didn't
But I was at the front and got the setlist :D

tyler07 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

The Vaccines are hardly a life-changing band but they weren't bad at all at the Gold Coast BDO.

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 27th Jan, 2012

No, can't have been. It was Anneli on This Must Be It, TG&TR, Only This Moment, and What Else Is There in Auckland. And she most certainly wasn't lip-syncing in any of them.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Highlight of my Big Day Out:

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

From the videos I've seen, her voice isn't nearly as nasal or thickly-accented as Karin's. Has she improved her imitation or summat

tyler07 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Did anybody else that saw Royksopp at BDO GC think the female vocalist was lip-synching The Girl and The Robot?

CoolRusty

CoolRusty said on the 27th Jan, 2012

I noticed it too but to be honest, I didn't give a shit because Royksopp were just that freakin' awesome.

01seb

01seb said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Nah she wasn't lip-synching, I was up the front and you could tell she was proper belting it out.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jan, 2012

oh my god....that was beatiful and perfect in every way.

Reasons why Royksopp are better than kanye:

1) They are are not douches
2) Their stage show was way better than the kanye ones ive seen
3) Their costumes are way better
4) They didnt get awkward when they hugged me and I was still drawing wood
5) They told me they would come back soon and bring the Knife with them.....I think they ere just being nice there

chrisdsingh

chrisdsingh said on the 27th Jan, 2012

the knife are pretty good, i like them.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jan, 2012

the knife are incredimazing

royksopp/knife double bill would result in me travelling to brissy and prob melb

01seb

01seb said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Did they say a particular date about when they would possibly come back Jose? Later this year?

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jan, 2012

all they said was when it wasnt so hot for them

01seb

01seb said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Splendour Mix Up Tent headliner please!

Stefan Beck said on the 27th Jan, 2012

oh my god....that was beatiful and perfect in every way.

Reasons why Royksopp are better than kanye:

1) They are are not douches
2) Their stage show was way better than the kanye ones ive seen
3) Their costumes are way better
4) They didnt get awkward when they hugged me and I was still drawing wood

"These are the reasons why I like Lady Gaga..."

zltn

zltn said on the 27th Jan, 2012

oh my god....that was beatiful and perfect in every way.

reasons why royksopp are better than kanye:

1) they are are not douches
2) their stage show was way better than the kanye ones ive seen
3) their costumes are way better
4) they didnt get awkward when they hugged me and i was still drawing wood
5) they told me they would come back soon and bring the knife with them.....i think they ere just being nice there

they indeed seem to be pretty nice in person. i really can't wait to hear some new stuff from them, hopefully they won't wait till 2014 or so for a new album.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 27th Jan, 2012

brilliant performance from kanye tonight. deets tomorrow. but the biggest talking point was the horrible sound quality.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Same setlist/stage show as BDO?

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 27th Jan, 2012

haha.

Yea. Little bit fuzzy, but the sound quality didn't bother me. It was plain epic. Then he started on the autotune, and it sort of got lame, for a long time.

I'm glad I went though.

Yea.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Oh god I hope they were serious

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 28th Jan, 2012

yeah it was pretty much identical to BDO. even the banter in between songs was pretty much the same. the main differences were during Touch the Sky he spent half the song running around the seat section which sent everyone nuts, the endings of some of the songs were a little different and seemed more polished, he whinged about the lighting and sound throughout the night, he did American Boy, he ran around the stage a lot more particularly at the start of Good Life i think where he sprinted down the runway and we all went crazy, at the end of Runaway he went on a rant about screwing up with a girl who ended up marrying someone else and at the end of Lost in the World he went on about aiming as high as possible but the entire crowd was on its feet for the first 90mins of the show so it was a good chance to sit back and listen. even though i would prefer he didn't have those extended auto tune bits i see it as a reflection of his character, his self indulgence, life of excess and ego.

i've spent about 4hrs watching him perform over the last couple of days and despite all the shortcomings of the show it has been a fascinating experience. being a rock fan i'm used to seeing bands where your focus is divided amongst several people on stage. even most hip hop artists have another rapper to accompany them or they have a large band with them. but this was about no one but Kanye, even the dancers seemed like an extension of his own mind.

all in all the come down from the two nights is a little depressing but i know he'll be back in sydney sooner rather than later. when he says this is one of his favourite cities he really does mean it and has proven it over the last few years. now to sit and wait eagerly for a watch the throne tour.........

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 28th Jan, 2012

^ Damn man, you are avid. :p

That bit where he crouched on stage staring at the ground, singing in autotune "aim as high as possible, aim as high as possible" over and over could probably have stopped somewhere during the 4th or 5th minute instead of in the 12th or 13th minute. A group of guys near us started yelling out "we didn't come here for a life lesson mate" and called out for him to play Niggas in Paris. Upon realising they weren't going to be getting that, they preceded to do their own rendition, with one of the guys making the beat, with his motherfucking mouth ("den-dun, den-dun, den-dun").

It was a great show. The whole crowd was going off. I was jumping and screaming and stuff.

chico21

chico21 said on the 28th Jan, 2012

Front page of FL with Sydney BDO photos should read: Thrills, spills and rubbish pills

ThatDude123 said on the 28th Jan, 2012

For my view on the Kanye show, I request you read my review of the Splendour show that i posted in that Santa thread some time back, then add in sarcasm_minister's bit, then maybe a bit confirming that Kanye is a brony.

Seriously, "reach for the stars so you can fall into the clouds" is a Friendship Is Magic quote.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 28th Jan, 2012

I think Noel's inspirational words of
'you're a cunt and so is the guy next to you' will suffice for me.

chrisdsingh

chrisdsingh said on the 28th Jan, 2012

i know jay likes sydney, i really really hope they both tour here as the throne - the original tour dates for the watch the throne tour saw a concert in jersey the exact same time i was there - I was so fucking over the moon......and then live nation changed the fucking dates completely. and then to rub salt on my wound boston's rock the bells was cancelled 2 days before I got to boston, i had my tickets and everything.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Jan, 2012

The only Kiwis that get to see The Knife will be the ones that live in Bondi.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 28th Jan, 2012

guess I should start working on that scaffolding license then

zltn

zltn said on the 28th Jan, 2012

if anyone is interested, someone put up the whole royksopp concert on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/defaulthippo/videos?view=pl

AndyLedHead

AndyLedHead said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Getting hyped to see Noel at the Palais, considering scouring around for a cheap ticket to Big Day Out, mmm

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 29th Jan, 2012

SMH is reporting that BDO Sydney got 47 000. also reporting that Kanye was 13mins late in Sydney which is a little ridiculous considering headline acts to my knowledge have always come on 10-15mins after the final act on the Orange stage has finished.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Kanye was 13 minutes late, timetable said 9pm

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 29th Jan, 2012

but what i'm saying is that headliners never come on immediately after the act before them. like i remember Muse starting 15mins after Powderfinger finished in 2010.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Yeah but usually the timetable reflects that gap. That said, I'm not going to blame Kanye for the wait. He could very well have been told to wait 10 minutes. It's not like it was much of a wait anyway.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

A tad disappointed that I didn't get to see these guys. This show at the Enmore Theatre would of been the greatest :(

Jose Cuervo said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Did you basically say before you didnt care about these guys cause you didnt really know their music?

huuuuurp-a-duuuuuuuuurp

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

huuuuurp-a-duuuuuuuuurp

True, I'm not in love with their music but for an electronic / dance band this would have been the shit. I would of gone anyways (especially the costumes :] ) but yeah I had already had an MCR ticket. They were quite average I thought :/

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

That's a bit like "I would have gone to disneyland but I already paid to get stabbed in the face"

and things of that nature

Quicky

Quicky said on the 29th Jan, 2012

and things of that nature

Yeah I didn't think wisely on this one but hey I got to see a decent band (that MAB likes) play some good tunes.

Victim

Victim said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Kanye started about 10mins after scheduled time in Melb tonight, but as mentioned so do previous headliners, plus he performed for 2hrs, so how can anyone complain. On a related note one of his dancers fell/rolled off the stage tonight, I can't recall which song atm, but i think it was one of the slower songs in act 2 when she was the only dancer on stage. She got back up to finish after about 30secs though. Maybe the media will say he pushed her...

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Jan, 2012

What the fuck do I have to do with this? Also, I do not bring cred to a band. If anything, I make it worse.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

But you bring the cred of everything* down together, so it's even.

*except Kasabian

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Santos is too busy bringing Kasabian's cred down for me to do anything about it.

ThatDude123 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

I am easily their most hated fan now.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Serves you right for being such a fucking parrot

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 29th Jan, 2012

well highlights for my day were CTE, The Vaccines, (I don't get the slander I saw on here, they were quite good live, I went in expecting a train wreck) Royksopp, and Noel.

that's the best big day out I've been to, from my point view, because it was empty, bl ken west though, the D for soundgarden was so spaced out. fuck knows where all those people stood for FTP it seemed 90% of the festival was watching them. the D seemed a lot smaller this year too, did anyone else notice that?

great day.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 29th Jan, 2012

The D seemed smaller and definitely wasn't as packed throughout the day. Normally when the headliner plays, it's full even in front of the other stage but when we walked past it on the way out it was nowhere near full.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

In Sydney the other half the D is always pretty empty. I remember being able to just stroll in when Muse were on.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 29th Jan, 2012

For Muse in Melbourne there were still people spread out through it, but yesterday there was no one past the middle point.

ThatDude123 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Off memory, the only time I've seen both sides of the D full for a headliner was for RATM. Even then, most of the people who were in there stormed in when the opening track caused a crowd surge

therat

therat said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Melbourne lay out is shite, especially where the main stages are. The fact that it was ball sweatingly hot and there was no shade was also pretty damn awesome.

Kasabian slayed in my opinion, as did Noel Gallagher and Soundgarden (again). King Cannons were also great, definately a big fan of those guys.

p.s. People taking photos of themself in the crowd and or filming entire songs/sets with their iphones should be castrated. If they do the peace sign horizontally they should be shot on the spot.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jan, 2012

I escaped that surge into a fairly spacious other half of the D.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Royksopp were amazing in the boiler room. easily best set of the day

Jestarrr

Jestarrr said on the 29th Jan, 2012

Didn't end up seeing all the bands I thought I would, but I did see CTE, Royksopp and Kanye though.

Lead of Cage was aboslutely fucked, put on a great show though.
Royksopp were a ton of fun.
Managed to get a good spot just after the D-barrier for Kanye, where he rose out of the ground. :) Apart from his rants, amazing show.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 30th Jan, 2012

oh my god....that was beatiful and perfect in every way.

Reasons why Royksopp are better than kanye:

1) They are are not douches
2) Their stage show was way better than the kanye ones ive seen
3) Their costumes are way better
4) They didnt get awkward when they hugged me and I was still drawing wood

Are you sure they weren't referring to the fact your rod was pressing into them, and they said they'd be back with A knife?

Jose Cuervo said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Their english was a lil broken i guess

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 30th Jan, 2012

SMH reporting 42 000 at Melbourne BDO.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Any idea what it is normally?

It was definitely easier moving around yesterday, but I seemed to mostly see the less popular bands, so I don't know how good a representation that was

Jose Cuervo said on the 30th Jan, 2012

I thought it was like 55k in syd and then 50 in melb and gold coast?

or i could be pulling that out of my ass

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 30th Jan, 2012

I thought it was like 55k in syd and then 50 in melb and gold coast?

or i could be pulling that out of my ass

i think you're right. all in all the numbers aren't too bad. but i've got the feeling Perth and Adelaide might get ugly.........

tyler07 said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Well I know GC's cap is 55k. And somebody said a few days before the event that they'd sold like 35k tickets? Not 100% sure though, it was noticeably smaller but overall not as bad as I expected, plenty of bands still pulled huge crowds.

01seb

01seb said on the 30th Jan, 2012

They got 38 000 in GC according to the Courier Mail...

Samwise

Samwise said on the 30th Jan, 2012

According to BDO,

Auckland - 20,000
Gold Coast - 40,000
Sydney - 47,000
Melbourne - 42,000

Sir Toire

Sir Toire said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Holy shit, they weren't joking around when they said that Auckland was struggling, were they?!

ThatDude123 said on the 30th Jan, 2012

I wonder if they counted all the free entries to Auckland's total

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 30th Jan, 2012

According to BDO,

Auckland - 20,000
Gold Coast - 40,000
Sydney - 47,000
Melbourne - 42,000

Is this just based on tickets sold? because Melbourne didn't look like it had 42,000 people there.

therat

therat said on the 30th Jan, 2012

Gold Coast venue must be three times the size of Melbourne because it felt like Melbourne was twice the crowd, or three times, or 2.66

There are 496 more comments. View them all