Buy part of the Annandale

You can help to save one of Australia’s favourite venues as part of a public campaign to rescue the debt-ridden Annandale Hotel.

Matt and Dan Rule, who have run the Annandale for a decade, have already sold off the venue’s nine poker machines to keep the business afloat and now they’re calling on fans to buy the venue brick by brick.

Under the “buy-a-brick plan” you can pay $20 – $250 for a brick that will bear a plaque with your name certifying you as a genuine fan of live music in Sydney. Funds raised from the sales will go towards further reducing the hotel’s debts while paying for a desperately needed upgrade, which will include overhauling the live music room, replacing beer-soaked carpets and renovating parts of the exterior.

Matt Rule says that several musicians have pledged their support and donations were collected from bands that had performed there over the years.

Last year Matt Rule spoke to FL 10th Birthday celebrations to tell us about his top ten Annandale shows including The Bronx, Kings of Leon and The Saints.

Social

Comments

Frisco88

Frisco88 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

The beer soaked carpets are what makes the Annandale awesome!!!
Nothing better than getting stuck to the floor while watching a band!

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

I would probably do this.

NedMacGregor

NedMacGregor said on the 12th Dec, 2011

you know you've had a good night when you're stuck to the floor

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 12th Dec, 2011

If I donate can I get a super cool nickname on my brick?

gabbythevampyr

gabbythevampyr said on the 12th Dec, 2011

i def want a brick how can we buy them? don't replace the carpet that's the best part! would love it if the upgrades made the annandale a pub you could just go grab a drink at even if there is no band playing! live in the street would be rad!

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 12th Dec, 2011

the gall. if you want a brick you are gullible. will they buy the bricks back with interest when the profits start rolling in again.

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

Clearly they are looking at ways to keep the venue open.

I don't think anyone would be under the impression that they are going to get anything more than a plaque on the wall for supporting the venue.

Many people love the place and would chip in to try and ensure it survives.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 12th Dec, 2011

I don't mind the idea, and I definitely support the sentiment. I'd just want them to ensure that if this goes ahead, it has some guarantee of it staying open. I'd hate for everyone to shell out cash, them to pay off some/most of their debts, and then the pub selling off to Woolworths anyway.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 12th Dec, 2011

Maybe if you stopped punching people in the face more punters would turn up to gigs there.

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 12th Dec, 2011

i love the place but the money i have spent there over the last 20 years will suffice. if it closes down they have themselves to blame.

how much are they paying in interest?

no i am not going to bail them out and neither should you. something else will replace either them or the venue.

dont waste your money on businessmen.

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

Yeah... there is a steady stream of new music pubs opening in Sydney.

berlinchair101 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

how much are they paying in interest?

dont waste your money on businessmen.

I don't think it will, that's the whole problem.

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Dec, 2011

I would be interested in giving them some coin for support, but im like spicy, I would be shitty as all hell if i gave them a small amount for them to go sell it once their debts are in order

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 13th Dec, 2011

not our problem. the business model is the problem. the main problem would be the banks cut. the interest on a business like the annandale would be an enomorous burden. these businessmen take out huge loans and expect the punters to 'donate' to cover their poor business decisions.

everytime i have ever been to the annandale it has been packed with punters. if you cant make money from a venue like the annandale then maybe running a music venue is not for you.

Braveheart81 said on the 13th Dec, 2011

Did you even read the article or the piece on The Annandale's website?

I am sure the business would be fine if they'd had $6m or so in cash and could have bought the business/premises outright without any debt.

The reality is that not many people have that much equity so a reality of business is that people use debt funding.

You don't have much of a clue about how business works do you?

ThatDude123 said on the 13th Dec, 2011

If they promise, once all is said and done, to get a new booker who can expand the Annandale's musical scope a bit I'll buy a brick

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Dec, 2011

Hey santos, ive got a brick you can buy (y)

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 13th Dec, 2011

lmao

i live in a party central house that everyone comes to and am struggling to pay the rent so am selling bricks to cover it

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 13th Dec, 2011

did you even read the article or the piece on the annandale's website?

i am sure the business would be fine if they'd had $6m or so in cash and could have bought the business/premises outright without any debt.

the reality is that not many people have that much equity so a reality of business is that people use debt funding.

you don't have much of a clue about how business works do you?

no need to be condascending in fact i do have a bit of a clue hence why i mentioned the part about the burden of a huge loan
but what i do know is they bought the pub at the peak of the market and now the bank dont like the risk associated with the debt. there are also changes to way the banks adminstrate these loans and in fact the liquor licensing laws are now having an impact on these loans

but hey i dont know much about business

im not the one throwing my money away on people who have made poor business decisions. rather than begging maybe they could take a leaf out of the sando's book and look at refinancing the business

do they own the pub freehold? they could sell this, pay the bank then lease the pub

anyhow they wont be getting any of my money

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 13th Dec, 2011

That was really difficult to read.

BundyandCola

BundyandCola said on the 13th Dec, 2011

sorry just getting used to the forum

it seems to cancel my capitals :/

noob alert xd

therat

therat said on the 13th Dec, 2011

Technically if you bought a brick and they sell the place you're entitled to collect the brick. If everyone does this the place falls down and who ever bought the place will no longer want it hence meaning it'll stay as a live music venue.

Fool proof plan.

Piko

Piko said on the 13th Dec, 2011

Surely the problem of having to kick everyone out and having the pub empty when no bands are playing is something which has harsh effects on the venue. you would have to think that if punters are going to in future be able to stay and party on with a decent rock DJ or something after bands finish then they will make a lot more money.

As I am saying, I don't know anyone who just go's there for a beer during the day as the lounges aren't comfortable and its basically dead. If reno's can boost daytime crowd and they can stay open for a few hours after a gig, they have to be better off.

Grupil

Grupil said on the 13th Dec, 2011

why doesn't the guy just hurl the brick through the window, torch the place and end this whole annandale debacle for good... the place always seems to be begging, pleading and whinging most of the time

ThatDude123 said on the 13th Dec, 2011

You shut up or I'll farken brick ya

Jose Cuervo said on the 13th Dec, 2011

My old car had a brick thrown through the windscreen, I now have you as suspect #1 santos

berlinchair101 said on the 13th Dec, 2011

You can't stay late because the people (read: cunts) who live behind would like to go to sleep.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 14th Dec, 2011

This is why Young Liberals and live music dont mix..............

grattan said on the 15th Feb, 2012

Because apparently everything needs a Hitler video...

Foolish to ask - but is there a "Hitler finds out about Hitler videos" video?

ThatDude123 said on the 15th Feb, 2012

grattan said on the 23rd Mar, 2012

batdan

batdan said on the 23rd Mar, 2012

How much are bricks? I heard you can get them for free at the Lewisham but nobody wants them because it's a dive.

crob said on the 26th Sep, 2012

these c%nts robbed the annandale last night

crob said on the 11th Feb, 2013

well this sucks

The Annandale is reportedly going into receivership

Braveheart81 said on the 11th Feb, 2013

That's sad.

Certainly the end of an era. The Annandale has been an iconic Sydney venue for a long while.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Shame on all Sydneysiders who didn't buy a brick. Boo. Particularly Kaydee. Boo. Poor form. Boo.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 11th Feb, 2013

I would do it again too. Normal people over the age of 30 would regard $150 as chump change.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 11th Feb, 2013

I wish that were the case - maybe if i had my salary now without my mortgage and four dependents to support it might be, but with being over 30 comes a different set of responsibilities for a lot of people.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Very true, I wasn't being highly serious. Just a little swipe at the peanut.

There were cheaper options and there were also many groups of friends who chipped in for a brick. I'm suprised how little support the Annandale received in the brick campaign, considering how much everyone seems to love it up there.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 11th Feb, 2013

I think $50k is a reasonable level of support for a campaign like that. I didn't buy one, was going to but never got around to it. I don't really feel bad, in almost 10 years in Sydney I have probably spent thousands at that place.

It's the people who are moaning today about losing another venue but haven't set foot in the place for years who should feel bad.

Oflick said on the 11th Feb, 2013

I was in there on Wednesday. I'm a hero.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Very true, I wasn't being highly serious. Just a little swipe at the peanut.

I thought it might have been tongue in cheek :)

But $50k is a good amount of cash imo, how much were they hoping for?

Napoleon Solo said on the 11th Feb, 2013

I don't think retire means what you think it means...

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 11th Feb, 2013

Same :)

Plus I was there in 2009 for Dan Auerbach.

Double hero.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 11th Feb, 2013

After the legal issues, they were $500k behind in their plan. So maybe somewhere closer than to that might have helped, though unrealistic. I'm a part owner in a family business, and I can understand how quickly $50k disappears.