Image for Grinderman call it a day at Meredith Music Festival

Grinderman call it a day atMeredith Music Festival

Nick Cave has told fans at Meredith Music Festival that after five years and two albums Grinderman are calling it quits.

At the conclusion of the band’s festival defining set at Meredith on Saturday night, Cave told the seething mass of bodies in the Supernatural Amphitheatre: “That’s it for Grinderman. It’s over. See you in 10 years.”

For the hour proceeding Cave lurched around the stage, ferociously conducting his disciples; he spat, growled and threw his body over the barrier to the fevered delight of clambering festival goers. The main set was fittingly concluded with the band’s ode unto themselves, Grinderman, which had the whole amphitheatre whispering at full volume, “I’m the Grinderman. In the silver rain. In the pale moonlight. I am open late.”

The unexpected end to the gritty ‘side project’ for Cave and his fellow seeds Warren Ellis, Martyn Casey and Jim Sclavunos comes only a year since the band released their second album Grinderman 2 which was described by its FL reviewer as, “Deeper, darker, funnier and more disturbing than it’s predecessor.”

In an interview with FL last year drummer Jim Sclavunos discussed at length the origins of Grinderman and how he saw the band’s sound developing, “It’s a bit early to be saying Grinderman’s always going sound a certain way. I already think there’s a big difference between the first album and the second album personally so who knows where Grinderman’s going to go sonically from here.”

The full Meredith Music Festival review and photos will be published on FasterLouder this week.

Comments

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 11th Dec, 2011

This set was possibly one of the best meredith moments ive ever had...fitting end for them

crob said on the 11th Dec, 2011

sad news... on the bright side this should leave more room for the bad seeds

Piko

Piko said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Definitely will miss Grinderman however I admit its sad to me to think I have seen Grinderman more times than I have The Bad Seeds. I wouldn't mind righting this! As much as I love Grinderman. That said, I have some great memories of these guys from the past few weeks and will miss their live shows.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Fine by me, I enjoyed Grinderman but more than ready for the return of the Bad Seeds!
I'd love a Nick Cave solo with piano album too someday.

crob said on the 11th Dec, 2011

I'd love a Nick Cave solo with piano album too someday.

werd

Jose Cuervo said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Makes me even happier I got to go to that Factory show now

radical_man

radical_man said on the 11th Dec, 2011

The last times I saw a nick cave and the bad seeds it was a 1992. I had a good time and a nice time. But i felled a bit nervous.

ThatDude123 said on the 11th Dec, 2011

I think this is the first time I've heard radical_man talk about music he likes and it's possibly for the best reason possible.

crob said on the 11th Dec, 2011

last time i saw the bad seeds was at T in the park 09 .... lucky for me they played the same time as kings of leon so the crowd was small n i could get to the front with little effort

Quicky

Quicky said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Glad I saw them play this year at BDO. Such a great band.

bucketboy63

bucketboy63 said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Yeah pretty sad, especially when you think that their set at Homebake was cut short by around 4 songs......

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th Dec, 2011

Fuck, that Factory gig was something else. Really hope they do this again sometime, but at least this means there's a chance for more Bad Seeds.

loungefly81

loungefly81 said on the 12th Dec, 2011

grinderman at metro freo on monday night was one of the best gigis i have ever been to

Thessaly

Thessaly said on the 12th Dec, 2011

Darn, I never went to the Grinderman concert. I saw Cave & The Bad Seeds a few years ago, but I wish I didn't miss out on Grinderman. :(

I looked up on the Internet to see if there's any further news on this, and didn't found anything yet... However, I found an article that mentions Faster Louder. Awww. :D

Braveheart81 said on the 15th Dec, 2011

scottyk82 - the guy who posts on a music forum yet hates every band.

Except maybe the middle of the road indie band, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. He once said they were awesome.