St Jerome's Laneway Festivalsideshows

We are in sideshow heaven this morning with the announcement of gigs for Feist, The Drums and dozens more St Jerome’s Laneway Festival bands. Boasting a lineup overflowing with indie goodness this year’s Laneway is gearing up to be on of the finest yet, but if you want a little bit on the side as well – here is all the info you need to know!

The Drums and Cults sideshows – presented by FasterLouder:
Friday 3rd February – Palace Theatre, Melbourne
Wednesday 8th February 2012 – Enmore Theatre, Sydney (All Ages)

Anna Calvi sideshows:
Friday 3rd February – Corner Hotel, Melbourne (18+)
Wednesday 8th February – Metro Theatre, Sydney

Feist sideshows:
Wednesday 1st February – Palais Theatre, Melbourne (All Ages)
Tuesday 7th February – Enmore Theatre, Sydney (All Ages)
Thursday 9th February – Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide (All Ages)

Glasser sideshows:
Wednesday 1st February – The Toff in Town, Melbourne
Wednesday 8th February – The Standard, Sydney (18+)

M83 sideshows:

Tuesday 7th February – East Brunswick Club, Melbourne

Washed Out and Toro Y Moi sideshows:
Wednesday 8th February – Manning Bar, Sydney
Thursday 9th February – The Hi-Fi, Melbourne

Comments

Jose Cuervo said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Cajun spiced hot chips tbh

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Mmmmmm, can taste the well flavoured.

shazie said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Just got back from the Sydney Laneway; there were a lot of great sets today but holy shit M83 blew me away. And once again, they played "sitting" which I lost my shit to. Out of all the Laneways I've been to that was probably the best set I've ever seen (or equal first with a couple others, can't quite decide). Icing on the cake was I didn't come across a single douche during the set as well.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

i remember hearing a lot of people slamming M83's live show a while back - "worst live act ever" kind of thing, has he stepped it up on this tour?

shazie said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Didn't see m83 on the last tour so I can't comment, would be nice to hear the opinion of some who has seen them before on how they found it . My mate, who was watching them with me, said his brother was unimpressed with their last tour. I don't know how many people they had touring that time but they have 4 now. Even when the Brisbane laneway sound team screwed their sound around, and they only played a 35 minute set without the lead singer's synth, they still sounded fantastic. Sydney had no problems like that tonight. Maybe the vocals could have been louder at times but the instrumentation is the main drawcard for me.

Watching them play tonight gave me the same mind-melting feeling as when I saw Royksopp at BDO.

Also, ThatDude seemed to have a pretty epic day. His account of the day should be interesting...

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Okay so I guess I should post my account of what went down at Laneway.

Overall, it was a pretty awesome day. So great to see so many familiar faces around, and so few traditional Festival Gronks. The Sydney scene is okay sometimes, you know?

That said, BOTTLENECKS, EVERYWHERE. Fuck by about 6pm I was sick of the crowded spaces. And yes, it sure is picturesque but sandstone is in no way a good insulator nor a good addition to natural acoustics. By that I mean, unless you were right at the front of every gig, you heard the muddled, fucked up shit ever known to man. Active Child was this shitty sea of bass at the back. God forbid any of the harmonies survived.

Anna Calvi wins the Classy Award for everything. Portugal. The Man were my MVP. I saw Washed Out instead of M83 and there was space to dance and have fun and the last Washed Out LP > the last M83 LP so no matter what anyone says Washed Out won the end of night battle. SBTRKT played overtime cause he is a badass like that. He is still awesome. Best moment was when Jonti rickrolled his audience after being booed for finishing his set with Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Shitcunts

Now for the fun stuff.

You see, for those who don't know the layout of Sydney Laneway, it happens to be in an art college (formerly a mental institution, fact) that borders a really big open field with a natural amphitheatre. Laneway wanted to use said natural amphitheatre for the main stage this year but were told that it'd be a safety risk.

Tonight I learnt why.

On my way out of the venue, I tripped on the kerb, rolled down the hill, and hit one of the concrete holders of those wire fences they put up around a festival site. I bled like crazy. I had to be taken by ambulance to Sydney Hospital and get five stitches in my face. This is what I looked like after it all, complete with a kawaii pose.

And this is what I looked like in the First Aid Tent:

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had a fun day at Laneway.

Highlights were Portugal. The Man. The Horrors and M83. M83 played just about the best set I've seen at Laneway over the years. Excellent stuff.

I saw shazie in passing a couple of times (although never got an opportunity to say hello). He was enjoying an ice cream at one point.

Didn't see Santos although I didn't spend my day hanging out in too many ditches.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

And this is what I looked like in the First Aid Tent:

Sweet Jesus.

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Y'all wish you were as babein' as me

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Chicks dig scars so that's something to look forward to.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

He's a latino lover with a mysterious scar.

Someone is going to be swimming in clunge.

shazie said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had a fun day at Laneway.

That ice cream was so nice. Hopefully we'll get another chance to say hello at a gig though.

Speaking of food, apparently Laneway ran out of food and cider by 6pm.

I think you just split your head open just so you could show everyone your shirt.
Nice shirt.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Oh man. Poor Santos! Hope you feel better soon, pal. What a rough end to the day.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Speaking of food, apparently Laneway ran out of food and cider by 6pm.

Hipsters do love their cider.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

"The doctors could stitch the wound on my head, but not the wound on my heart. - ThatDude123 before getting crazy balls deep in some tart in a floral dress and doc martins.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Legit lol at work when I read that.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Is it too early to call post of the day?

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I thought about causing a stampede at Laneway by announcing that there were free vintage floral dresses available in the market stall area.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

A lot of birds would have been in the waiting room at Sydney Hospital with Santos if you did that.

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Worst look of the day: The singer from Yuck in a denim vest and jeans combo. Holy fuck he is skinny.

I don't know what his actual nickname is, but I'm going to assume people call him Skeletor.

therat

therat said on the 5th Feb, 2012

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

He kind of reminded me of Bob Dylan. If Bob Dylan had died 3 years ago.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 5th Feb, 2012

i kinda wanna split my head open now.

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

There were quite a few birds waiting around for me as it is OHHHHH YEAHHHHHH

Also, can guys wearing hawaiian shirts ironically die forever in a huge pit of flames? In fact, I saw way too many fashion choices that need to stop immediately

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Awkward!

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

Spotted that on two seperate occassions.

It should be a rule that if you are ever out in public wearing a shirt that bad and you come across another human in the exact same said bad shirt that you must fight to the death right there on the spot.

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I noticed in Sydney that NBA basketball hats were very popular but mostly supporting crappy/unpopular teams.

Is the premise that the hat is of a bad team and being warn ironically to show the hipster's apathy towards sport?

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

They are usually the only ones left after lads buy the ones with all the good teams, so hipsters buy them on sale.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I thought hipsters got the the vintage NBA hats?

You hat must say that it represents the 1994-1996 Chicago Bulls side, when they were good.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had an Orlando Magic hat back in the day. Hipster since 1997 ftw.

therat

therat said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I noticed the whole NBA is cool again thing on the Gold Coast as well, if it aint Dallas Mavericks or Jason Kidd, give it the Bird and suck my Johnson.

Also on fashion, what is with people leaving the stickers on the peaks of hats? It's there to tell you the size, that is all!!!!

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

It's to say that you paid the exorbant price to get a legit true fit hat or whatever. It's to show that your mum didn't buy it from the chinese knock off stand in the middle of the shopping centre.

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I too do not understand this.

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

That's been around for a while, supposedly it's an authenticity thing? Had a friend who would get into fights by ripping the stickers off every New Era cap he saw.

berlinchair101 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

My mum bought my brother a Orlando Magic singlet and a Chicago Bulls singlet for me from the chinese knock off shop when we were little.

My mum is rad.

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had a California Angels baseball hat when I was a kid.

My Dad used to refer to them as the A holes which made me stop wearing the hat.

Jestarrr

Jestarrr said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had a mate yell at me because I peeled off the sticker of his cap. I couldn't comprehend it either...

therat

therat said on the 5th Feb, 2012

I had an Alonzo Mourning Hornets top and my brother a Hakeem Olajuwon one. My brother and I are ghetto?

Edit: I'm fucking buying an NBA top now, look what you've done!!

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

I had a California Angels baseball hat when I was a kid.

My Dad used to refer to them as the A holes which made me stop wearing the hat.

That's my team ha ha. I saw them play against the Seattle Mariners, I kept looking out for Frank Drebin.

They are called the Los Angeles Angels of Aniheim now though.

shazie said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Shits me as well.

Scooter mcgavin

Scooter mcgavin said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Think there needs to be a vintage nba merch thread. Actually that would be awful

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 6th Feb, 2012

haha, I'm glad to finally know what the deal was with the sirens and the ambulance. Nice work bro.

I actually spent most of the day watching dj's (Bullion was cool (like Dilla in a Space Disco or something) Oneman was great to dance to and Talabot was amazing to dance to). I saw M83 perform Colouoeoeers. My favourite song by M83 and my favourite song that I can't spell the title of. I lined up for 20 mins to get a burrito with what I'm sure was powdered beef, accompanied by a delicious powdered cheese. And I climbed a tree.

Jose Cuervo said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Unless you got stuck up the tree it wasnt worth it tbh

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Me and your friend need to form a tag team. I don't rip the stickers off I just belittle them for being a wigga and wearing a hat with no knowledge of what it stands for. If I see someone wearing an Oriole's hat I usually get excited thinking I have found a fellow suffering fan. When they say they just liked the style I go loco.

My mum is rad.

I remember my dad buying me a knock off Ewing jersey that had Knicks written where Ewing should have been. Mum corrected the situation by getting me a legit Ewing for Xmas. Mums are awesome.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Oh I just climbed a tree near the table where I ate my burrito. It wasn't near a stage.

Speaking of which. The bottlenecks were a bit annoying. Made more apparent because the last festival I went to was Harvest, where I was just sliding along to the middle-front of the stage just as the bands came on stage. I just don't have the persistence to go to a stage early and wait around to save a good spot.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 6th Feb, 2012

not so surprisingly i had an awesome day. picked up a few friends (all but one were completely smashed by 12) and got in a little before 3.

Austra - hadn't heard her album before hand but loved the big singles. i was initially struck by how good the sound quality was especially after all the reports of poor sound at other laneways. her vocals were spot on and even there was a bit too much fuzz for my liking it was a great performance.
Laura Marling - one of the main reason i was at the festival. i found a great spot in the shade and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of her set. was surprised at how many older songs she played, or rather how few new ones she did in her terribly short set. can't wait for the SOH on thursday.
Portugal. The Man - knew little or nothing about this lot beforehand so it was difficult to get into the performance much but the musicianship was very impressive. might need to take a closer look at them in the future.
Pizza Line - easily the longest set of the day. i thought it was over after 40mins but there was still another half hour left. thankfully it ended nicely.
Feist - massive crowd for this show. got there before she started but still ended up watching from behind a tree. probably the only set of the day where i wished they turned up the sound because as great as she sounded i could barely hear her over the huge crowd. left after 30mins wanting really bad to stay.
Yuck - the reason i left Feist. wow what a band! a great selection of songs and playing almost 40mins it felt like watching them at a headline show. their stoner stage presence went hand in hand with their music and wonderfully simple back drop.
The Horrors - i would love to talk about how great parts of this performance were but all i can remember and all my ears will ever remember will be the final 15mins, which ended up being nothing but senseless distortion and guitar bashing. worst 15mins in my 2 visits to laneway.
M83 - started right on time and the crowd was instantly hooked. it was entertaining to watch grown hipster men losing to their shit to these french folk. wish they had done another 10-15mins but no real complaints it was an amazing set and i now know why despite not being the biggest act on the lineup they were the main stage closer.

missed out on The Drums (chose to get a good spot for M83 instead) and Cults (at Pizza Line) but overall had an incredible day. i heard from someone there that they had increased the capacity to about 9000 for this years festival which is why it felt so much busier. already there for 2013 :)

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2012

You. Waited an hour. For fucking pizza.

You, sir, have my lolz. All of them.

crob said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Went along to the Girls sideshow last night at OAF after p1owz0r offered me a free ticket.

It was good although very twee.

The guitar player had some great guitar face moments. He looked more like he should be playing in a metal band than playing twee rock.

i enjoyed the show, they were a lot better this tour then they were last tour....

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

9000 capacity?

THAT'S INCREASED

By god this sounds like the most amazing festival

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Feb, 2012

9000 capacity?

THAT'S INCREASED

By god this sounds like the most amazing festival

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

A festival with only a capacity of 9000, it's like crazy small compacity, and I wish I could go as the lineups are always amazing

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Oh sorry my sarcasm detector gave me a false reading. My bad. Please accept this Spider Meme as an apology.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 6th Feb, 2012

You. Waited an hour. For fucking pizza.

You, sir, have my lolz. All of them.

thank you. glad the pizza wasn't the only thing i got after that wait.

ThatDude123 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

That pizza stand had a longer line than the toilets. I later learned it was because it was the only food vendor that did completely vegan pizza.

Fucking hipsters and their veganism.

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Is anyone going to Feist tonight? I'm pretty sure Mountain Man are opening and I may melt into my seat.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 6th Feb, 2012

See you tonight MAB and Jose

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Fucking hipsters and their veganism.

I queued for about two minutes for a meat pie.

The horse, rabbit, and other assorted meat were excellent.

Take that vegans!

Brian B

Brian B said on the 6th Feb, 2012

I queued for about two minutes for a meat pie.

The horse, rabbit, and other assorted meat were excellent.

Take that vegans!

Rex does not approve of this post.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 6th Feb, 2012

SMH review

A bit of Bowie for hatless masses
Reviewed by Bernard Zuel
February 7, 2012

LANEWAY FESTIVAL
Sydney College Of The Arts, Rozelle, February 5

BEST part of having it at Rozelle: The stone buildings, which not only offered visual and textural stimulation, but created sound barriers between the stages and set up natural performance spaces.

Worst part of having it at Rozelle: Not the five kilometre car park that was Victoria Road, or the need to keep the volume annoyingly low, but the cramped confines and poor sight lines of the smaller stages where some people took to climbing over barriers into gardens to get out during high demand sets such as Active Child. Speaking of Active Child, if you've ever wondered what a Handel countertenor playing with a doomy electro band from Sheffield might sound like, I have your answer.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The decade of choice: Although there were two Bowie covers, with Portugal the Man offering All the Young Dudes and the even better Pajama Club bringing Moonage Daydream, it was clearly the late 1980s/early '90s, which ruled in most of the best sets of the day. Before the big keyboard washes of M83 made for classy handbag disco from France, Austra's fabulous blend of Teutonic coolness and dancetronic rhythms (not to mention the Canadians' deployment of dancing backing singers) brought to mind clever Trevor Horn-produced acts such as Propaganda. Both Chairlift and Twin Shadow took synth pulses into danceable rock (and held their shape better than Washed Out) and Yuck overlaid overdriven guitars and drones with tunes

Best outfit of the day: It looked like being the lycra leotard decorated in psychedelic swirls of purple and glittery stars. But then, spotted during the Horrors' crunchy, showy but somewhat dated rock set, were the knitted brown shorts. Yes, wool. Yes, shorts. Yes, they looked like a tea cosy with leg holes. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

Favourite game of the day: Hunting down the shade - anywhere you could: against walls, under alcoves, behind that really tall bloke with the animal tatt. (A note for the anti-skin cancer marketing folk: you may have lost a generation here. If even 10 per cent of the Laneway audience were wearing hats on a long day of blasting sun, well, I'll eat my hat.)

Least favourite game of the day: Trying to find something semi-decent to eat. From the Big Day Out and Homebake to Harvest, we've grown used to reasonable choice and variety. Laneway had neither, what was there seemed to regularly run out and God help you if you were vegetarian.

Tip of the day: See Anna Calvi, Laura Marling and Husky if you ever have the chance.

ThatDude123 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Reviewer does not understand that sandstone absorbs most sound so for most acts all you could hear was heavy bass like this was Stereosonic.

Really, they should find a new venue for it, stat.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Preferably somewhere with no kerbs to trip over I'm guessing?

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Razorlight for LW13

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Really, they should find a new venue for it, stat.

I like the venue.

The stages can get a bit crowded and the sound isn't fantastic, but it's a lot better than the sound when the festival was at Macquarie Place. The sound when playing in an actual laneway is horrendous.

ThatDude123 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Wait a second, MAB actually knows enough of a Razorlight song to know when to quote it?

getout.gif

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Since Pajama Club played this year, Crowded House next year?

ThatDude123 said on the 6th Feb, 2012

Needs more Mark E Smith

Stefan Beck said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Sweet Jesus would I love to see Mark E. Smith bitching out a Laneway crowd.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 7th Feb, 2012

being vegan is cool, just sayin

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 7th Feb, 2012

^This. Also steak is fucking awesome. So yeah.

ThatDude123 said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Quicky

Quicky said on the 7th Feb, 2012

I came out of Feist tonight fairly disappointed. Was expecting good things but it was just left me feeling depressed :(

Braveheart81 said on the 7th Feb, 2012

I'll leave that one for oldgregg.

Jose Cuervo said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Really? I thought she was fantastic and I loved it

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

She was lovely. Not mind-blowing, but it was a pleasant show.

Mountain Man were just as perfect as I was expecting them to be. What utter babes.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 8th Feb, 2012

Yeah she was good but I came out disappointed mainly because of her renditions of songs from The Reminder and the sound. I couldn't hear her microphone the whole night. I agree with MAB the most. Definitely wasn't mind blowing but still great to see.

I was eye-raping those girls from Mountain Man. Very good looking ladies with impressive voices.

Stefan Beck said on the 8th Feb, 2012

This is the problem with the kids today.
They don't even consider a polite eye-fucking, they just go straight to the eye-raping.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 8th Feb, 2012

Saw The Drums at the Metro last night. Did have fun.

shazie said on the 9th Feb, 2012

Sooo, anyone heading to m83 tonight?

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 9th Feb, 2012

off to SOH! expecting a pretty special show :)

Stefan Beck said on the 9th Feb, 2012

M83 rule. Haters gonna hate.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 9th Feb, 2012

man what a night to be in sydney. i'll do my laura marling review tomorrow.

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Feb, 2012

Yuck at oaf >>>>>>>>>>>> innanimate carbon rod >>>>>>>>>>>> yuck at melb laneway

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Feb, 2012

Enjoyable. Knew nothing of them preshow but they were entertaining and id consider seeing them again

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 10th Feb, 2012

so laura marling.

i was right down the back for the show but being the Opera House i had a perfectly decent view. she started pretty much on time with The Muse, sadly her microphone was far too low and her 5 piece band simply drowned her out. it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th song of A Creature I Don't Know that the vocals hit the amazing quality expected at the venue. there is the possibility that she was a little overwhelmed by the occasion, something she did admit to throughout the evening. packing out a world famous venue at age 21 would overwhelm just about anyone let alone a character as shy and reserved as Laura. for the most part she was in fine form as she flew through the album effortlessly climaxing at Sophia which set up All The Rage to end Act 1 on a knee slapping high.

Initially the 20min break felt unnecessary and long but Laura explained that she really struggles to sit through a whole gig herself so i think the interval was for her sake than for the audience. Act 2 kicked off with Ghosts followed by another 2 tracks from the debut. At the end of that "Alas" section i noticed the stark difference in the tone of her voice between the album and on stage last night. the added maturity in it could have been forced or a natural progression of her voice either way it made for interesting viewing. between the 'Alas' section and the 'I Speak' she apologetically threw in a new song (something i really admire about her) which was received with rapturous applause but didn't give us much insight into the direction she might be heading in for her 4th album. the last half hour of the show was taken up by half a dozen songs from 'I Speak' each divided by banter that had the 2000 fans in fits of laughter.

even though she did 22 songs the show felt somewhat short. i would have happily sat through a performance of all 3 albums in full. nevertheless it was awesome to be part of that show. it's always a little extra special when you can tell that the show is as much of a big deal for the artist as it is for you as a fan. last night at the Opera House was a perfect example of just that.

grattan said on the 10th Feb, 2012

Finally the emos are going to art school...

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Feb, 2012

I don't know if that was a burn on me or her. Smile and nod, David, smile and nod...

ThatDude123 said on the 10th Feb, 2012

That used to be our thing, MAB. You used to be confused by me.

I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL!!!!!

grattan said on the 10th Feb, 2012

Directed at her, but if you want to take it as directed at you that's fine. It would be the emo thing to do. ;)

MorningAfterboy said on the 10th Feb, 2012

Fuck you guys, I'm going to go listen to The Used.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 10th Feb, 2012

I'm pretty annoyed I missed out seeing Laura marling especially at the opera house, it's sounds like it was excellent, hopefully a return visit soon, unlikely but splendour maybe?

There are 149 more comments. View them all