Image for Big Day Out promoters Vivian Lees and Ken West split

Big Day Out promoters VivianLees and Ken West split

The partnership between Big Day Out promoters Vivian Lees and Ken West has ended. The pair have run the Big Day Out together since 1992 and promoted international tours together for a decade prior to launching the festival, but Lees has now decided drop out to spend more time with his family in Melbourne leaving the Sydney based West to continue promoting Big Day Out by himself.

Lees has explained his decision in a statement issues to The Music Network claiming that “After 20 wonderful years as co-producer of the Big Day Out Festival I have decided to move on. My decision is principally to ease the workload on myself and I believe this will also allow me to increase my commitment to my family and interests outside of Big Day Out. For the first time in my life I will be stepping off the gas a little instead of stepping on it and I am looking forward to new challenges I may find outside the Big Day Out.”

“I am a passionate supporter of the Big Day Out and the musical legacy I have created with Ken West who will now continue to produce the show as sole producer. To all my friends and supporters, the loyal and committed Big Day Out staff and the legions of Big Day Out audience members I thank you and I will always be indebted to you for keeping me in such a great job for so long.”

FasterLouder interviewed both Viv Lees and Ken West about their work with the Big Day Out prior to the 2011 festival.

Comments

Jose Cuervo said on the 1st Nov, 2011

MAYBE CR!ZZ WAS BEING LINED UP AS A REPLACEMENT?

Stuieb

Stuieb said on the 1st Nov, 2011

that could explain why the line-up is so disappointing and lackluster this year

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Aerosmith for BDO 2013. Lock it in.

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Very uninteresting news. I'm guessing this just means the life span of BDO will be even shorter than expected.

Haggy

Haggy said on the 1st Nov, 2011

when life gives you lemons, just say fuck the lemons and bail

Jose Cuervo said on the 1st Nov, 2011

How the hell is this uninteresting news? The one of, if not the biggest traveling festival in the world loses one of the dudes to created and built it up

Stefan Beck said on the 1st Nov, 2011

You'd think people who'd been married for twenty years wouldn't be so quick to throw it all away.
Try some couples therapy. If not for yourselves then at least for your kids.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 1st Nov, 2011

could you give us a year? i'm saying downsize to indoor venue by 2015, death by 2017. how far off am i?

humanracin

humanracin said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Ahhhh, so that's why it's half as good as it used to be?

01seb

01seb said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Reason for splitting? Perhaps Viv wasn't happy with the direction of the festival in recent times...

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 1st Nov, 2011

I hate it when Unka Kenny and Aunty Viv fight.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 1st Nov, 2011

yeah i would be pissed off too if my ridiculously overpriced event was selling 300 000 tickets a year, 100 000 more than it did when it was reasonably priced just a few short years earlier. just writing that made me unhappy.

billzbub

billzbub said on the 1st Nov, 2011

didn't the guy buy a house outright with the money he made off of Nirvana in '92?
he probably has enough houses now.

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

I think this feels like a bigger impact than maybe it would for another festival because Ken and Viv made themselves a part of the brand in a positive way. I feel like I've made an investment in the brand and in doing so Ken and Viv.

I'm sure Kenny Koala is more than capable enough to keep the BDO going strong, and it really doesn't effect me at all, but I still feel sad. The power of good brand to customer relations I guess.

tyler07 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

I'm sure Kenny Koala is more than capable enought to keep the BDO going strong, and it really doesn't effect me at all, but I still feel sad. The power of good brand to customer relations I guess.

This.

I think Kenny will be fine to run the show solo. I've seen enough interviews, etc, with him to see that he has some decent views on music and the festival. After all, he was the one that told Good Charlotte to shove it when they expressed interest in playing.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 1st Nov, 2011

He did?

*new favourite person*

tyler07 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

The original channel v article where that came from doesn't seem to exist anymore, but this is it:

"Good Charlotte have expressed very keen interest in playing the Big Day Out. BDO founder Ken West has knocked back their request, apparently because their music is “sh*t.”

Benji Madden, fresh from his break up with Paris Hilton, recently spoke with New Zealand’s Sunday Times. Talking about having never been invited to play the Big Day Out, he said, “The guy who runs Big Day Out doesn't like us for some reason I don't even know why. We do all the other festivals and we enquired about it. Who knows maybe he'll eventually crack, but maybe not. We're just going to keep knocking on his door late at night saying, `Come on dude!"'

Ken West explains his refusal simply. "That's because they're shit. They're at the bottom end of the table, they're purely entertainment." He sees them as belonging to a group of bands he calls "American bullshit punk." "It's not real. I preferred My Chemical Romance, which seems to have some integrity in its weirdness. They believe in what they're doing..."

The Big Day Out’s national event coordinator Sahara Herald Shepherd exlains that Ken West has “always viewed our job as not providing what the kids think they want to hear – for example Good Charlotte – but rather what we believe they should be listening to, like TV On The Radio”.

“We feel a responsibility,” she says, “to stimulate, educate and challenge them so they hopefully leave the show with a broader horizon than when they arrived.”

01seb

01seb said on the 1st Nov, 2011

I meant the lineup, he might not have liked it diversifying so much and wanted to keep it as a pure rock lineup. Of course he'd be happy with the sellouts.

John Henry Eden

John Henry Eden said on the 1st Nov, 2011

ken's gonna be making fat stacks.

whitesmoke

whitesmoke said on the 1st Nov, 2011

i think viv would probably keep his share of the ownership, but just let ken do the running of the festival. viv would be stupid to give up a money-spinner like that.

random_hero

random_hero said on the 1st Nov, 2011

meh dont care

uninteresting

Jose Cuervo said on the 1st Nov, 2011

meh dont care

uninteresting

Sweet, the bogan patrol is here,. We're just missing slippy

random_hero

random_hero said on the 1st Nov, 2011

this is the biggest break up slice Kim Kardashian filed for divorce

yetiite

yetiite said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Uninteresting news Crizz? What are you talking about. Jesus christ. You're unintelligible.

Napoleon Solo said on the 1st Nov, 2011

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 1st Nov, 2011

WTF??????, yeah like, cheers numbnut, ill be sure to put my order in for Kanye and TLE's complete discography from ebay the minute I get home from BDO .....

CoolRusty

CoolRusty said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Well, it's better to be ordering Kanye's complete discography than Good Charlotte's discography.

grattan said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Playing Battles to Battles fans = big whoop.
Getting Living End fans to listen to Batles = "stimulating, educating and challenging them so they hopefully leave the show with a broader horizon than when they arrived".

Quicky

Quicky said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Its kinda sad in one respect because its a longtime together and they've shaped BDO. I'm happy that West is around not Lees. I like him alot better than Lees because I thought he was alot better spoken in the interviews I've seen. It will be interesting to see where the festival goes after 2012. Maybe its not the end of BDO just yet.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Playing Battles to Battles fans = big whoop.

Getting Odd Future fans to listen to Mariachi El Bronx = "stimulating, educating and challenging them so they hopefully leave the show with a broader horizon than when they arrived".

*fixed

Napoleon Solo said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Ya right on, the Kids should be listening to Limp Bizkit, Alien Ant Farm and the Ting Tings.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Ken West seems to smack of narcisistic arrogance, and im just hoping that it was Vivian Lees who way have been pushing and arguing for the more commercial, but waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy less interesting lineups weve been seeing since 2005 (barring the occassional epic headliner).

All in all that above mentioned arrogance is going to either see the festival start its slow death next year with a headline act of Akon, LMFAO, and (after blowing the rest of their budget for international acts in the form of a bribe) a reformed Powderfinger OR a return of focus to bringing in exciting internationals both established and non, a balanced mix of all musical genres, and removing the blanket ban on Aussie acts which havent toured 50 times already in the last 3 years......(I know its a smaller pool to pick from, but TLE???? AGAIN?????)

Quicky

Quicky said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Would it of been hard to get Icehouse as Aussie headliner act? Seriously?

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 1st Nov, 2011

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 1st Nov, 2011

Playing Battles to Battles fans = big whoop.

That is a pretty damn solid point

tyler07 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

The Ting Ting played an incredibly fun and entertaining set at BDO'09.
Fuck the haterz.

boromisa

boromisa said on the 1st Nov, 2011

maybe lees couldnt stand demise of once a great festival.

Braveheart81 said on the 1st Nov, 2011

I don't see why everyone thinks there must be some ulterior motive for the split.

He's been doing it for 20 years, has no doubt made a lot of money. Based on recent BRW Top Entertainers lists they've been making about a million dollars each per year in recent years. I'm sure he is sitting on a tidy nest egg.

Why wouldn't a guy who is financially secure and wants to spend more time with his family and pursue other interests decide it is time to call it a day?

gumbuoy said on the 1st Nov, 2011

No, there MUST be an ulterior motive! Now, I don't want to put ALL the blame on 9/11, but it certainly didn't help matters.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 1st Nov, 2011

the discussion really should've ended here.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

just the tone of the above interview.......specifically the bit about KW saying that VL was attempting to 'Streamline' the festival so he could understand the festival.......(does anyone know wtf hes actually getting at there?), and the reference to the normally passive VL speaking out more and more, hints that the two may have had a few pretty major business disagreements and/or clashes of ideology or whatever, which may have nudged VL to walk........whether it be arrogance or strong will, Ken West doesnt seem like the kind of personality to NOT dig his heels in

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

is it safe to say that this news confirms that Radiohead will be headlining BDO 2013?

Braveheart81 said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

That quote is clearly retrospective on their relationship over the years. One of them (West) had the vision for what it would be like and the other one (Lees) had the ability to break it down into the various elements so it could actually be organised and run. Sounds like a fairly common business partnership to me.

ThatDude123 said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

It doesn't seem like these two are as revealing of their ulterior motives and personal plans as everyone thinks. I mean, for the past 20 years they've kept a low enough profile that most people thought one of them was a chick.

Jose Cuervo said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Wait you mean they are both dudes.....the fuck

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

The Ting Ting played an incredibly fun and entertaining set at BDO'09.
Fuck the haterz.

Hey, the Ting Tings got me into a tent with ten thousand girls. Nothing wrong with the Ting Tings.

Stefan Beck said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

If he didn't want people to think he was a sheila then he shoulda had a proper bloke name like Bruce or Russell!

Braveheart81 said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Bruce Lees would have been the most nonfuckwithable concert promoter in Australia.

gumbuoy said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Up until today, I was one of those people.

You know what happens when promoters don't keep a low profile, and they become more the focus of their festival than the music?

AJ Maddah.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Good point......think I just misinterpreted that one, on another note will KW still be able to keep the worlds largest touring festival going on his lonesome?

Jose Cuervo said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Yes, because he will still have Sahara doing a shit load of the leg work as she does every year

batdan

batdan said on the 2nd Nov, 2011

Bang On. End of thread.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

Call me stupid, but I still don't understand how Ken and Viv get a million dollars each year. The BDO does well don't get me wrong but with all the costs for putting on the event and then the fees for the bands, how do they do it?

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

well take 2010 for example. 320 000 tix sold at an average of $150 a piece. that's about $48 million add a couple more million in sponsorships and you're over $50 million in revenue no sweat. i'm almost certain that with 20yrs of experience behind them and an incomparable reputation they have learnt how to keep a festival on the road for 3 weeks for less than $50 million and keep the 25-odd international acts happy.

Quicky

Quicky said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

Makes sense, I was just thinking about money for D Barrier, the stages (especially the main stages), transport. Australian bands obviously don't get alot of money touring with BDO do they?

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

Surely they would take a cut of the bar profits as well? They probably make almost as much off drinks as they do ticket sales.

Braveheart81 said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

When you add together all their revenue streams:

- ticket sales
- alcohol sales
- sponsorship
- food vendor/other stalls rent
- sideshow ticket sales

I'd be surprised if the annual revenue of the company was much below $80m or so.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 3rd Nov, 2011

According to Rave Magazine, Kenny bought Aunty Viv out.

bigval

bigval said on the 4th Nov, 2011

lol at Good Charlotte supposedly not being good enough for the BDO. The BDO has been a complete and utter sellout for years now.

It used to be a good alt rock festival until it ended in '97. They took '98 off and decided to bring it back in '99 as a purely commerical money making venture. Their bills have had no credibility since and now the thing would sellout without a band even being named as it's just a day to get wasted with your mates now irrespective on what is on the bill, and don't they know it.

The only BDO I went to was in 2002 solely to see Tomahawk at around 3pm and left as soon as their set finished. Rubbish bill, scorching heat with FA cover and massively overpriced drinks.

There isn't a single band that could get me to go to a BDO again, it was rubbish.

I'm sure Vivian Lees can console herself with the millions she's made out of this nice little earner.

Jose Cuervo said on the 4th Nov, 2011

Compelling story brah, can I have another

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 4th Nov, 2011

2002 had a rubbish bill, with New Order on it? You trippin'

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 5th Nov, 2011

First of all, if we go by your logic, why have none of the BDOs sold out yet there has been a large number of acts announced?

Secondly, for someone that seems to have invested a lot of time following the Big Day Out and criticising it, you still don't know Viv Lees is a dude?

bigval

bigval said on the 5th Nov, 2011

Most years they're practically sold out before they even get to the second annoucement. I'm not talking about the cash grab 2nd shows in Sydney either.

I lost interest in the BDO when I grew up and have only seen West speak in docos and have never heard or seen Lees and as someone said he was a woman and that they were married earlier in the thread I assumed he was. My mistake.

bigval

bigval said on the 5th Nov, 2011

The only other band on the bill I could stomach seeing was The Tea Party and as their set didn't start for another 4+ hours after Tomahawk's just decided to bail.

ThatDude123 said on the 5th Nov, 2011

You're an idiot

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 5th Nov, 2011

You had a chance to see New Order perform, to see Peter Hook thrash out the bassline to Ceremony, and you passed it up. I don't even want to know you.

shazie said on the 5th Nov, 2011

I think this guy should be called bigvag with all the whining.

So you said the only BDO you've gone to is 2002, you only saw one band, and you're claiming to be a bdo veteran?

Also, did you miss the whole festival this year? That was FULL of rock acts.

I'm glad you don't go to any BDO's cause lord know I couldn't handle your bitching the whole day about how everyone/everything sucks.

Jose Cuervo said on the 5th Nov, 2011

that bigval sounds like a good lady. Sounds like a real veteran of one act at one bdo. I wish i could be as cool as her.

tyler07 said on the 5th Nov, 2011

Tomahawk? Of all the acts the only one you've seen is Tomahawk?

Jeesh...

Jose Cuervo said on the 5th Nov, 2011

So i just looked at the 02 line up and these were the top acts listed

The Prodigy
System of a Down
Garbage
New Order
The Crystal Method
NOFX
Jurassic 5
White Stripes

and you only went for tomhawk

Stefan Beck said on the 5th Nov, 2011

To be honest I don't care about anything on that line-up except for New Order and the White Stripes.

gumbuoy said on the 6th Nov, 2011

Hey thats right, I was at that BDO. Pretty much my only memory is of me sitting in the field at the main stage, waiting for New Order to finish so I could see Prodigy, and this old hippy couple were dancing and swaying near me, and the woman swayed over to me and said, "They're good, but they're no Joy Division, right?". And given that I'd been following music for all of 3 seconds, I had no idea what she was talking about.

Good times.

batdan

batdan said on the 6th Nov, 2011

System missed Adelaide In 2002 farken! Enjoyed new order and tomahawk. Garbage were cool. Watched silver chair instead of the white stripes. Pretty sure the tea party played too.

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Nov, 2011

BDO is doing something right if they can get people to buy tickets to see one crappy band.

It must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Nov, 2011

Tomahawk isn't crappy though.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 6th Nov, 2011

But it's no Mr. Bungle or Faith No More

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 6th Nov, 2011

unless they get someone really great like arcade fire i doubt big day out will sell that well at all until at least january.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 6th Nov, 2011

Big Vageegee,

There isn't a single band that could get you to go to a day of live music? You're probably on the wrong website.

PS - The fucking Tea Party? Jesus wept. You can see Jeff Martin most nights at your local RSL.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 6th Nov, 2011

good charlotte are terrible and for that weezer blue album thing, i would like to see thier mothers and cats dead.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 6th Nov, 2011

if Laneway can't sell its 7000 or so tickets in each city with a lineup of incredible quality i don't think BDO has any thing to feel bad about.

the festival circuit in this country and particularly Sydney has reached its point of saturation and it's not at all surprising. each major city has 4 festivals with capacities of over 35 000 (BDO, SW, Parklife,Future) add to that Sydney's Homebake (~20 000) i can't imagine there are too many other cities in the world like that.

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Nov, 2011

Quality it may be, but do 7000 people like/know all of those bands enough to fork out $140?

It's not exactly the most festival crowd friendly line up.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 6th Nov, 2011

It's not exactly the most festival crowd friendly line up.

i've been really surprised at how long its taking to sell out compared to last. at least on my personal preference this lineup is stronger than 2011 and not too far behind 2010. but i guess the absence of the TDCC, Yeasayer and Foals types has made a difference.

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Nov, 2011

Last year had a much more mainstream appeal. I think it's hardly surprising that this is taking longer to sell out.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 7th Nov, 2011

That's what happens when the demographic you market your festival to is unemployed

radical_man

radical_man said on the 15th Jan, 2012

So i just looked at the 02 line up and these were the top acts listed

The Prodigy
System of a Down
Garbage
New Order
The Crystal Method
NOFX
Jurassic 5
White Stripes

and you only went for tomhawk

It is not s a so bad, she WANTED to see a tea party.

bigval

bigval said on the 15th Jan, 2012

Big Vageegee,

snap cracked,

Not a festival, no. Is that okay with you?

Bit of a difference between The Tea Party and a bloody Jeff Martin solo gig.