The Hives Splendour sideshowsmoved

The Hives will make their fifth visit to Australia to play at Splendour in the Grass, On the Brightside and a trio of sideshows in July.

When we interviewed July and the band’s drummer Chris Dangerous earlier this month he gushed the “We LOVE Australia man. We love the festivals and we love the audiences.” However, four’s year on from the release of their last record The Black and White Album, it seems that Australasian punters aren’t quite as in love with the band as they used to be.

Tickets for the band’s Splendour sideshows went on sale just under a month ago, but the Sydney and Melbourne venues have now been moved from barns to theatre shows. There is no change to the Adelaide show.

The Sydney show scheduled for the Hordern Pavilion has shifted across town to the Enmore. In Melbourne both the date and venue have been changed – shifting from a Wednesday show at Festival Hall to Tuesday show at the Palace.

The Melbourne change will create an issue for under-age fans as the Palace Theatre is a licensed venue. If you are unable to attend the rescheduled date, refunds will be available until Friday 22nd July through the point of purchase.

The Hives with The Grates:
Monday 25th July – Thebarton, Adelaide
Tuesday 26th July – Palace, Melbourne (change of venue)
Thursday 28th July – Enmore, Sydney (change of venue)

Social

Comments

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 24th Jun, 2011

foster the people better be fucking awesome, or i'm gonna be pissed.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 24th Jun, 2011

better at palace anyway

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th Jun, 2011

I don't like how the ticket price is still the same. It wasn't just the venues that were the problem, dudes...

berlinchair101 said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Yeah but now they have convince less people it's worth it.

tfbr37

tfbr37 said on the 24th Jun, 2011

clashes with james blake now in melbourne... pretty disappointing they don't change it to somewhere else on the same night.... now comes decision time.

grattan said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Can't move from Festy to the Palace on the same date - Elbow are playing a sold out show there that night.

crob said on the 24th Jun, 2011

what leaves the Hordern open for Kanye to do a sneaky sidey... let me dream

JackP

JackP said on the 24th Jun, 2011

I live in `Malebourne' and I'm `Australasian'. i love a good typo

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Uh, "Australasian" isn't a typo.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Maybe everybody has realised The Hives only have about five good songs?

Stefan Beck said on the 24th Jun, 2011

The twelve great songs on the Your New Favourite Band compilation would beg to differ.
It probably has more to do with their latest album being awful.

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th Jun, 2011

It was nowhere near their best, but it wasn't awful.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 24th Jun, 2011

It probably has more to do with their latest album being awful.

For me that compilation was about 3-4 good songs and a load of rubbish

kinksta

kinksta said on the 24th Jun, 2011

ah clash with warpaint in melbourne. lameeeeeee

dusch13

dusch13 said on the 24th Jun, 2011

hopefully pulp does the same thing. festival hall is rubbish.

rodismdotcom

rodismdotcom said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Downsizes galore. Would think that Adelaide may be shifted to HQ as well. They only filled Thebbie 2/3rds last tour...

kennsysmith

kennsysmith said on the 24th Jun, 2011

Considering the last time they played Sydney, they played in the Metro, it was always going to be very ambitious to up-size to the Hordern this time round.

hedonism gibbon said on the 24th Jun, 2011

thursday night is the problem in part, ticket price to some extent too

why would someone who thinks the hives only have 5 good songs be interested in a thread about a venue change for the gig??

the hives have a bucketload of good songs

i'm keen as, just need a few more bucks at my disposal gotta keep a few for the vines coming up too, and could send a fair bit at Helmet tonight darnit), was pretty sure the hordern wouldn't sell out, now i'm a wee bit worried

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 24th Jun, 2011

i'm really happy about this, I already have my ticket to the Sydney show and honestly I'm not the biggest fan of the hordern, but the enmore, I love the enmore, my favourite venue

but yeah i think the price would be the big turnoff for a lot of people rather than lack of fans/ bad albums, the venue was way too big, they had no hope of selling it out

jeff3002

jeff3002 said on the 25th Jun, 2011

they're absolutely going to have trouble filling thebby in adelaide, especially because it's a monday night and $85 a pop! would love to see them again, but still undecided whether it's worth it.

rodismdotcom

rodismdotcom said on the 25th Jun, 2011

they may do 2 for 1 in the days leading up if it bombs.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 25th Jun, 2011

thursday night is the problem in part, ticket price to some extent too

Because it's the internet

MilkySheep

MilkySheep said on the 27th Jun, 2011

I enjoy the Hives and they are great live, but I hope Modest Mouse is now given the headline set of On the Brightside.

I know it won't happen, they'd give it to Pulp first, but I can dream :(

hedonism gibbon said on the 26th Jul, 2011

getting kinda excited about thursday

Lucan

Lucan said on the 26th Jul, 2011

Rightfully so. They delivered in spades last night. The new songs sound good too.

If you can, get there for The Grates set. 60 minutes of non-stop fun. Perfect support slot.

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jul, 2011

Woooo, won tickets to Thursday. Gonna be fun!

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 27th Jul, 2011

i'm bummed i missed these guys last night, but i would of been equally bummed to miss foster the people, they are much better live than i anticipated. and fuck mark foster has some funky dance moves, its how white people should dance.

therat

therat said on the 27th Jul, 2011

I dance like a stroke victim who can't grasp the concept of gravity.

Where did you win tickets from MAB?

chico21

chico21 said on the 27th Jul, 2011

I really wanted to see these guys too. but apparently I'd prefer to spend $1000s of dollars on moving into a smaller apartment. hope they come around again.

hedonism gibbon said on the 27th Jul, 2011

Good news, Still one of my alltime favorite festival sets at Falls a few years back, have only seen a covers show in a smaller venue apart from a distant view of them at the big Day Out ages ago (before i really knew how good they were)

given the limited dance floor space at the enmore i plan on getting there before the grates start and getting a decent posi... this is pending on my mate getting off work in time for us get there before 8pm from the northern beaches

and now that i've recently quit smoking i wont be giving up my decent spot in between bands to run out for a puff (this will feel kinda weird). and as i 'm driving i wont be ducking off to the bar every half an hour either

and given the ticket price i'm banking on some value from the support too, have seen them at falls festival and yeah they seem kinda fun eh

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jul, 2011

The Grates are awesome fun live, hedo. I reckon you'll be impressed.

Will be on the lookout for a cool dad up the front :cool:

hedonism gibbon said on the 27th Jul, 2011

if i leave the dodgy mo' i fashioned today after a couple of weeks of non shaving, you'll find me very easily, despite being a bit of a short ass.

i'll be wearing a dark brown leather, which was actually my Dad's that i bought for him about 15 years ago (long lost my old black one bought at the same time, still got a crazy glam red one but dont bust it out much these days... hmmmm, i could i guess, it is the hives after all... and it is a warm sonofamichaeljacksonbitch)

but yeah would be good to say gday

indiie

indiie said on the 28th Jul, 2011

A friend can't make it to The Hives / The Grates gig in Sydney tonight so I have a spare ticket for quick sale. $50 ono. Tell yr friends that are on the fence whinging about the $80+ price tag.

hedonism gibbon said on the 28th Jul, 2011

A friend can't make it to The Hives / The Grates gig in Sydney tonight so I have a spare ticket for quick sale. $50 ono. Tell yr friends that are on the fence whinging about the $80+ price tag :)

Murdoch

i could have someone if it's a dancefloor ticket??

indiie

indiie said on the 28th Jul, 2011

It most certainly is!

indiie

indiie said on the 28th Jul, 2011

SOLD!

see you tonight mate

Sold indeed, cheers.

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Jul, 2011

So. THIS gig. How fucking good was this gig??

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 30th Jul, 2011

it was fucking amazing, worth most likely losing my job for it

hedonism gibbon said on the 31st Jul, 2011

FUCKING good!!! DAMNFUCKING GOOD!!!!!

i cant split Kyuss, Melvins,The Hives and Stone Temple Pilots for gig of the year so far (but The Hives are the funniest)... been spoilt in 2011

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 31st Jul, 2011

Simply brilliant. A definite contender for gig of the year.

Every single time I see the Grates live, I fall in love with Patience for about a week. She is just so awesome.

MorningAfterboy said on the 31st Jul, 2011

FUCKING good!!! DAMNFUCKING GOOD!!!!!

Haha, hell yes!

Were you in a Distillers shirt by any chance?

Lucan

Lucan said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Did Pelle make all the guys and gals in Sydney sit on the floor as well??

BeShakey

BeShakey said on the 1st Aug, 2011

that was weird. i thought there was going to be a point to it, but then he just started singing again and everyone stood up.

Lucan

Lucan said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Loved the show, but my old man knees could've done without that part of the night.

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Aug, 2011

I had no complaints. It was rad.

CoolRusty

CoolRusty said on the 1st Aug, 2011

the hives set at splendour was quite possibly one of the greatest performances i have ever seen at a festival.

01seb

01seb said on the 1st Aug, 2011

They were pretty awesome I'll agree. But what's with the frontman trying to rev the crowd up before every song? I'm pretty sure everyone was hyped enough anyway. I think he overdoes it a bit...
Could've fitted in another 2 or 3 songs without some of his bullshit,

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Haha, hell yes!

Were you in a Distillers shirt by any chance?

nah i actually wore the attention-grabbing red leather most of the night, had a Kidney theives t-shirt on when the jacket came off

got there about five to eight but had to queue up for about 20 minutes at the box office to collect my tickets, so was already a bit busy when i got in there, quite enjoyed patience and the music.... and mini!

The Hives were as good as when i saw them at falls, i'm surprised so few people were there, thoght they'd pretty much fill both floors of the enmore, oh well, more loss to those who dont dig it, i had a top night and a fair bit of fun at the pub next door after the gig too

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Ahh, yes, I love that pub next door. Not as good as the Townie, but still awesome.

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Could've fitted in another 2 or 3 songs without some of his bullshit,

it's all just part of his "i love myself and you love me and we are the best" schtick really, it's kinda funny even tho i'm not exactly a big yeller and screamer at gigs myself... but i'd say without it they'd just play shorter sets not necessarily extra songs.. i was pretty stoked with a second encore, not always the norm these days.

and to be honest, sydney crowds can be famously quiet, maybe too cool to yell and scream (like me hee hee) and dance like a chimp (this i do!), esp when the place is only half full.

i loved how he leaned over to a crowd member up the front during a song and called out "fix my hair", got a head rub, then got up and did his smile 'hey look at me, i'm gorgeous' stance, despite his hair obviously being a total sweaty mess

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

i went into the townie after the one next door shut but it was dead as a doornail, it wasnt totally empty but no hives leftovers there anyway and no atmosphere, i thought it'd be happening, it was only 12:30

it was better in the days when you could smoke inside (even tho i dont smoke anymore)

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Depends on the night that you go. Fridays and Saturdays I've found to be the best. Always great post-gig.

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Aug, 2011

and to be honest, sydney crowds can be famously quiet, maybe too cool to yell and scream and dance like a chimp, esp when the place is only half full.

Quoted for truth.

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

yeah it may well have been a bigger night if it was a friday

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

but you've just got to yell and scream at a hives gig, cos NOONE is COOLER than THE HIVES! :)

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Aug, 2011

Oh yeah I agree. I saw the hives at the Enmore a few years back it's it was amazing.

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Aug, 2011

lucky you, i could have handled a song or two more from tyrannasaurus hives... i'm nuts about ANTIDOTE

YOU WANT ANTIDOTE, I GOT THE POISION

not that i'm complaining, the set was great, and awesome encores