Gurrumul announces rareconcert dates

One of this country’s most unique talents Gurrumul Yunupingu is heading out on the road for a rare series of concerts, which will include his first ever headline perfoemances in Brisbane, Adelaide and Tasmania.

The gigs will see Gurrumul and his collaborator/producer Michael Hohnen showcase tunes from his long awaited second album Rrakala. The follow up to his self titled debut, Rrakla sees Gurrumul experiment with a vast array of instruments, including piano which takes a central role on a number of tracks.

To help bring this to life in a live setting Hohen says: “I thought it was a touching but also a more varied performance at Bluesfest in Byron recently where some 8000 people simply stood, mesmerised, and listened for the entire hour, as if we were playing in their collective lounge room. This was a show where we had some extra people play with him – he loves playing with musicians backing him up.”

Gurrumul Yunupingu National Concert Tour

Wednesday 24th August – Derwent Entertainment Centre, Hobart
Friday 26th August – Riverside Theatre Perth Convention Centre, Perth
Monday 29th August – Sydney Opera House, Sydney
Thursday 1st September – Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
Saturday 3rd September – Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
Monday 5th September – Royal Theatre, Canberra Convention Centre Canberra
Wednesday 7th September – The Palais, Melbourne

Comments

MorningAfterboy said on the 24th May, 2011

Cannot and will not miss this. Will be amazing.

Jose Cuervo said on the 24th May, 2011

Shame his cds are so incredibly boring

rodismdotcom

rodismdotcom said on the 24th May, 2011

I have never seen him, I think I will go along.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 24th May, 2011

I will be overseas when this is on so glad I got to see him at the Melbourne Festival last year, very impressive.
I'm pretty sure this will be his 1st gig ever in Brisbane? And he is playing the BEC, that's also impressive but not the venue I'd like to see him perform in. I think Riverstage would have been more appropriate?

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 24th May, 2011

Canberra... About time!

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

This is the kind of stuff that crippling rage-induced headaches are made of.

Braveheart81 said on the 25th May, 2011

Yeah... Gurrumul is totally boring compared to ambient minimalist dubstep or whatever it is that you're currently fapping over.

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

It's not ambient minimalist dubstep! It's northern-Italian post-jazz breakcrunk fidget happy post-hardcore wobble-step!

Christ, Braveheart, lrn2subgenre.

Jose Cuervo said on the 25th May, 2011

lol......last person i did that over was what, Flying Lotus last year? I'd say the only cd this year ive gotten in that area would be SQ, and i dont even think ive really mentioned much about it on here.

But im happy to accept that people find that stuff boring.

But seriosuly, Gurrumul sounds like someone moaning and it all sounds the same and is boring as bat shit

Braveheart81 said on the 25th May, 2011

There are definitely plenty of CDs I bought last year that I've listened to far less than Gurrumul.

Jose Cuervo said on the 25th May, 2011

Well then enlighten me why its so brilliant?

Same....doesn't mean this one is better at all. I often buy 5/6 cds at a time and loose track and dont give heaps of them enough listens

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

His voice is just beautiful, and it's emphasised especially by the languages in which he sings. Gurrumul is an Australian classic in my eyes - such a simple album, but really strongly executed. I'll never get tired of hearing a song like Bapa or Djarrimirri.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind, but I just feel you're being too dismissive and disrespectful to such a talented performer.

Jose Cuervo said on the 25th May, 2011

I've listened to the album 3/4 times, I just find it boring as bat shit, I would accept i would be being too dismissive/disrespectful if i hadn'tlistened to it or only listened once, but ive heard it a few times and it is just meh to me

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

Which album, the first or the new one?

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

Oh, wow, so you've never heard Gurrumul?

You've got to check it out, dude.

Jose Cuervo said on the 25th May, 2011

Oh im sure its come on at work, but I more than likely have tuned out....I just remember the new one more because its been on more often recently

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th May, 2011

I haven't bought my copy yet, but I'll see if I can't get one when I buy my ticket for this show next Friday. I've heard he plays more instruments on this album, so I'm intrigued.

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 27th May, 2011

Fuck.... I just agreed with MAb. Off to sterilise myself - I feel dirty.