Soundwave Revolution 2011line-up

After three long months of anticipation the Soundwave Revolution line-up has been unleashed and we are still gathering our jaws from the floor as we type.

Soundwave have brought us some huge moments in the past – a Faith No More reunion, Iron Maiden, Queens Of The Stone Age – but this announcement has just well and truly blown all previous efforts out of the water.

CHECK OUT OUR GUIDE TO SOUNDWAVE REVOLUTION 2011

Soundwave Revolution lineup:

Van Halen (with David Lee Roth)
Hole

Soundwave Revolution 2011:

Brisbane Revolution – Saturday 24th September
Sydney Revolution – Sunday 25th September
Melbourne Revolution – Friday 30th September
Adelaide Revolution – Saturday 1st October
Perth Revolution – Monday 3rd October

Tickets go on sale Thursday 2nd June at 9am and a pre-sale will be available for Soundwave members. The tickets will set you back $154 + “whatever rip off charges ticketing agencies put on top” according to the festival’s promoter AJ Maddah.

Soundwave member’s pre-sale:
Tuesday 24 May 9am, Brisbane AEST
Wednesday 25 May 9am, Sydney AEST
Thursday 26 May 9am, Melbourne AEST
Friday 27 May 9am, Adelaide (local time) and Perth (local time)

To be eligible for the Soundwave Revolution members’ pre-sale you must be signed up to the mailing list on the Soundwave Revolution website or an existing member of Soundwave Festival.

Comments

Shieldsy23

Shieldsy23 said on the 11th May, 2011

I had to change my pants when I saw the website...
Twice.

Un...fucking...believeable.

Maddah's done it again.

crob said on the 11th May, 2011

Machine Head side show please

tyler07 said on the 11th May, 2011

Van Halen, Bad Religion, Danzig, and Alice Cooper make me soooooo keen. Attending.

humanracin

humanracin said on the 11th May, 2011

Hole!

Noooooooooooooo, I'm overseas then, doh! :(

clements95

clements95 said on the 11th May, 2011

hats off to aj.
i was weary that the anticipation would've been such a let down if it was crap. but i have to say. i am impressed. he must have some serious cash to throw around if van halen wanted $1m per show.

shazie said on the 11th May, 2011

Ok, yeah the lineup has totally changed around after seeing those last bands announced. Definitely going now

radiocide

radiocide said on the 11th May, 2011

Still missed Kevin Devine

Jose Cuervo said on the 11th May, 2011

So when are the good acts being added?

radiocide

radiocide said on the 11th May, 2011

Also Weezer can eat a bag of dicks for bailing again

Quicky

Quicky said on the 11th May, 2011

Stages 1 and 2 and 3 are where I'll be hanging :D

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 11th May, 2011

Keen for Alice Cooper, Hole, Van Halen. Might go and show up around 7

random_hero

random_hero said on the 11th May, 2011

i might go to this festival now

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 11th May, 2011

So by the looks of things i can turn up late afternoon and stay at the main stage!
Win!

berlinchair101 said on the 11th May, 2011

So two bands on the entire line up that I'd actually want to see.

TheLach03

TheLach03 said on the 11th May, 2011

where is everyone finding the stage information?

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th May, 2011

Haha, Van Halen would be fun.

Do you think the $2 million that would have gone to Weezer will now be feeding Courtney's cocaine addiction?

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 11th May, 2011

well, he fucking pulled it off then didn't he, what a friggin feat, im not interested in any of the bands but fuck me he got it spot on

random_hero

random_hero said on the 11th May, 2011

when do tickets go on sale

ZePpLiNs666

ZePpLiNs666 said on the 11th May, 2011

van halen, alice cooper, machine head and steel panther on the same bill? time to sell some kidneys again!

berlinchair101 said on the 11th May, 2011

Haha, Van Halen would be fun.

They cover the insurance costs if one of her ta-ta's explode and hit someone in the eye.

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 11th May, 2011

I would love some sideshows for ETID and Bad Religion. Retarded line up.

shazie said on the 11th May, 2011

Now just gotta find out price and venue. He'll probably drip feed it dollar-by-dollar for a couple more weeks

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 11th May, 2011

new zealand sideshows for van halen and alice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grattan said on the 11th May, 2011

The Dangerous Summer
We Are the Crowd
Terrible Things
Versa Emerge

liam10

liam10 said on the 11th May, 2011

sorry, but that's not bigger than iron maiden. however bad maiden played, they are much bigger than van halen. quite disappointed to be honest, then again australian festivals have a history of letting people down.

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 11th May, 2011

There is not a single band on any stages besides 1 and 2 that I'm even slightly interested in seeing.

I would attend a Bad Religion sideshow. That is all.

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th May, 2011

Even if it's for the car crash factor, I would love to see Courtney live.

batdan

batdan said on the 11th May, 2011

Not real impressed. Might see some sideshows, then again I'm in SA so that won't happen.

tyler07 said on the 11th May, 2011

The stage 1 run of Bad Religion -> Alice Cooper -> Van Halen is going to be all sorts of insane.
Looks like i'll be at the main stages most of the day, few bands from stage 3 and 4 i'd like to see as well.

ThatDude123 said on the 11th May, 2011

can't wait to hear the teeny bopper Panic! fans say, while watching Van Halen, "They're covering that song from Glee!"

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 11th May, 2011

I think teeny boppers know that all Glee songs are covers, I mean, they mostly do Rihanna/Katy Perry/Britney Spears/My Chemical Romance/Bruno Mars/etc. so I think they'd pick up.

Imagine a Glee-themed Soundwave! Headlined by Journey. What about that instead of revolution in 2012 hey AJ? I'll let you have that one for free.

rodismdotcom

rodismdotcom said on the 11th May, 2011

Sisters of Mercy. Faaaaaaaaarken.

Stefan Beck said on the 11th May, 2011

Honestly better than I expected but aside from Danzig not interesting in the slightest.

ThatDude123 said on the 11th May, 2011

If you've ever been on Tumblr, you'd know that Glee fans have no fucking clue about any of the songs. I kid you not I saw one blog ask if Fleetwood mac was a real band and Rumours a real album.

That said, reuniting Journey would be epic.

PS: Not going. 2 Bands I want to see + Courtney Love snorting coke is not enough

Slip_dog

Slip_dog said on the 11th May, 2011

Neh nothing that cool but keep campaigning BDO for SOAD.

therat

therat said on the 11th May, 2011

Machine Head is an awesome addition, still doubt that I'll be buying tickets as the only band that I haven't seen before that I'm slightly interested in is Times Of Grace. Hoping for some epic sideshows, a Machine Head, Unearth and Times Of Grace sideshow would make me happy in the pants.

I wonder if stage 1 will be renamed the nostalgia stage.

Napoleon Solo said on the 11th May, 2011

Sisters of Mercy and Van Halen clashing added with the Cooper and Danzig Clash have me praying for sideshows.

spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle said on the 11th May, 2011

Since the drip feed us the lineup over a 2 month period, does that mean we can pay $5 per week for the tickets as well? Very keen for Van Halen. Saw them with Sammy Hagar but MUST see DLR.

therat

therat said on the 11th May, 2011

Really? I'm not sure about that. Van Halen I guess is a big deal, though who really knows more than a couple of their songs, Alice Cooper is here every couple of years and Hole, well yeah.

Napoleon Solo said on the 11th May, 2011

If you only know a couple of Van Halen songs you should order yourself another apple martini.
I have been salivating over Eddie's riffs for as long as I can remember.

Braveheart81 said on the 11th May, 2011

I wonder if Sisters of Mercy will bring all the old goths out of the woodwork?

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th May, 2011

I'm guessing Scrubs reference, but is this meant to be some kind of gay slur?

berlinchair101 said on the 11th May, 2011

I think instead of boutique festival they meant antique.

Braveheart81 said on the 11th May, 2011

I find it somewhat amazing that it turned out that Freddie Mercury was the gay one.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 11th May, 2011

Straight people can ddrink apple martinis too MAB; and they're generally much too precious for Eddie VanHalen ear fucking an audience.

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th May, 2011

Scandal!

Thrice "never confirmed anything" for SWR.

gumbuoy said on the 12th May, 2011

Oh no, dont tell me aj is a lieing sack of shit? The horror!?

hedonism gibbon

hedonism gibbon said on the 12th May, 2011

Van Halen I guess is a big deal, though who really knows more than a couple of their songs.

i actually own their first 6 albums on vinyl, dig the pre-famous stuff they did the most before Jump and that when those crappy keyboards flooded their sound.... still ain't super-excited about seeing them, Saw Lee Roth solo years and years ago with Steve Vai and it was pretty cool, but shit, so nostalgic now.

they were super cool when Eddie Van Halen was an alco and Lee Roth had 80s hair.

Machine Head is a great addition i gotta say, Hatebreed and Devin Townsend get a tick from me too plus there's a few bands i've been meaning to listen to (Cro-Mags, Gojira, Sisters of Mercy)

grattan said on the 12th May, 2011

Scandal!

Thrice "never confirmed anything" for SWR.

"Hey Australian friends. Sorry you were misled. We never confirmed anything with Soundwave and are sad to hear that you were told otherwise."

Cr1zZ

Cr1zZ said on the 12th May, 2011

will there be any sideshows anywhere? it looks like i might have to come back to australia

tyler07 said on the 12th May, 2011

Apparently the listing of the bands under stages is correct but that's not necessarily the order they're playing in. AJ has stated on twitter that the timetable will be done to minimize huge clashes.

waylon black

waylon black said on the 12th May, 2011

That said, reuniting Journey would be epic.

First album FTW

Regs

Regs said on the 12th May, 2011

meh. i reckon it looks shit. they should have got kyuss!

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th May, 2011

Yeah, that band that are here right now. Genius.

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 12th May, 2011

Forgive me if i am wrong, but doesnt AJ whore out bands multiple times in quick succession because they get tied to 18 month contracts if they play under the Soundwave banner?

Braveheart81 said on the 12th May, 2011

Most of the bands that play Soundwave are tied to 18 month careers.

Less now that myspace is dead.

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 12th May, 2011

Most of the bands that play Soundwave are tied to 18 month careers.

Less now that myspace is dead.

does that mean no one is reading my blog?

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th May, 2011

Oh yes of course it was a gay slur. It is a wellknown fact that the gays hate Van Halen and when the gays are hating Van Halen they like to drink apple martinis...

Seriously mabba, are you that fucking dense?

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th May, 2011

How the fuck would I know, honestly. I wouldn't ask if I had a full understanding of how what kind of drink someone has relates to being an insult.

Does it work for other bands? "If you don't like Explosions in the Sky, you must drink lemon squash!"

tyler07 said on the 12th May, 2011

MAB you could do with an appletini, besides being scrumptious you'd be so much more relaxed about things

MorningAfterboy said on the 12th May, 2011

Great, so I've got a menopausal Solo on one side and a possibly date-rape-inclined Tylercore on the other.

Best to back away very slowly from this one.

Stefan Beck said on the 12th May, 2011

Ah,but you've also got a lion in front and a crocodile behind you.

No win situation.

saintbrad

saintbrad said on the 13th May, 2011

geez, what a line up, i'll remember to bring my pension card, give me a break...

grattan said on the 16th May, 2011

AJ Maddah: For those upset about Thrice, I have sent an open letter to the band's management, a copy of which is posted on the SW forum.

From: AJ Maddah
Sent: Saturday, 14 May 2011 4:15 PM
To: Kenneth O'Leary; 'Steve Strange'; 'Josh'
Subject: AN OPEN LETTER TO KEN O'LEARY, MANAGER OF THRICE

Ken,

I have not 1 but 2 confirmations of Thrice’s participation in Soundwave Revolution from X-Ray: The first is dated Sunday, March 27. The 2nd is dated Wednesday April 13.

I am sure you recall that I never wanted to work with this band again and only booked them under heavy duress from Steve and after Dustin’s lengthy apology backstage at Reading (which at the time, I believed to be heartfelt and genuine). But once again this band have proven themselves to be ill mannered lying assholes.

Following the band’s recent post on Facebook, and the resulting fall-out from fans, I am going to have to defend my reputation and my event by responding in public.

I hope you understand. And if you don’t, then so be it.

Best Regards,

A.J Maddah

MorningAfterboy said on the 16th May, 2011

He's such a brat, honestly. Any chance he can get to mouth off about someone or something, he'll take it.

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 16th May, 2011

I see that as pretty reasonable and i dont like the guy at all.

shazie said on the 16th May, 2011

I think he makes the hype for a festival more fun though, nice to at least hear something from the guy running the festival rather than a lot of other festivals who have appointed representitives. Then again I think the other major festival organisers might be doing something more constructive with their time.. Still, he makes entertaining reads

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 16th May, 2011

I think it's reasonable too. Why should he take the flack for something he can prove otherwise?

gumbuoy said on the 16th May, 2011

Biggest case of takes-one-to-know-one I've ever seen.

berlinchair101 said on the 17th May, 2011

He should send a private letter to Thrice's management and then just post something on Soundwave explaining what happened.

He could show some professionalism and not act like a total dildo.

gumbuoy said on the 17th May, 2011

and just because he posts his letter openly doesnt automatically mean he's telling the truth.

tyler07 said on the 17th May, 2011

I'm not really a fan of AJ personally, seems like a douche but obviously does a good job with soundwave. But in my mind he did go about this professionally originally by initially stating that they had withdrew and they would be replaced in pretty much those exact words. Then the band came out and said they were never playing it etc, obviously making him look bad and then he retaliated.
I don't see much wrong with that, maybe he could've gone about it better but there are obviously a few other issues going on as well.

Braveheart81 said on the 17th May, 2011

I guess some people have the opinion that AJ is a bit old to be acting like a petulant teenager.

His first response to almost anything seems to be to turn it into a slanging match.

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th May, 2011

Exactly. Anyone remember that story of the guy trying to book BRMC for a Brisbane show? AJ is a whackjob.

therat

therat said on the 17th May, 2011

I still think this guy is going to be responsible for the decrease of overseas bands getting together and touring or even just touring albums themself. I like festivals but I also like to be able see music throughout the year not just in September and March.

From a professional point of view it's pretty stupid on Maddahs part, other managers will look at that think this guy is quite happy to air private conversations in public just to make himself look good and might think twice about booking with him.

What does AJ actually look like? I always imagined him to look like this.

gumbuoy said on the 17th May, 2011

guy tried to book BRMC for a Brisbane show, AJ was the tour manager, called AJ to introduce himself and got given a serve.

berlinchair101 said on the 17th May, 2011

Seriously. What a ball bag.

Napoleon Solo said on the 17th May, 2011

What does AJ actually look like? I always imagined him to look like this.

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th May, 2011

I do cocaaiiiiiiinneeee

Jose Cuervo said on the 17th May, 2011

Ha wow, what a douche

berlinchair101 said on the 17th May, 2011

What does AJ actually look like?

Slipdog.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 17th May, 2011

you know, I always thought he was kind of alright you know, never disliked him like a lot of people do

but this is just completely out of it, who does this to a guy who is just trying to inquire about something? I mean really AJ should just grow the fuck up before every band he tries to tour tells him to fuck off

shazie said on the 17th May, 2011

Wow, after reading that I can't believe how much of a toutal douche AJ is. As much of an awesome festival he puts on, I hate how he totally demeans everyone else who's trying to spread great music to more people.

huck

huck said on the 1st Jun, 2011

Are Hell Yeah still in the line-up? I got an email from SW today and they are no longer listed.

???

grattan said on the 1st Jun, 2011

Still on the site - http://soundwaverevolution.com/lineup/hellyeah - prob just an oversight.