Hemmes buys The ExcelsiorHotel

The Excelsior Hotel in Surry Hills has been purchased by the company run by Justin Hemmes, owner of super club The Ivy and founder of the Good Vibrations Festival, according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning.

Since Sydney’s beloved Hopetoun shut its doors two years ago, The Excelsior Hotel on Forveax street has stepped up to host bands seven nights a week and is one of the last live music venues in Surry Hills. The band room’s capacity is roughly 150, but the likes of Eddy Current Suppression Ring, Super Wild Horses and 6 Ft Hick have graced the small stage in recent years.

The SMH reports that the hotel was purchased for $4.5million and comes less than a year after Hemmes bought the Beresford Hotel around the corner on Bourke Street. The report also claims that Hemmes is eyeing off other venues in the Surry Hills area, which leads us to wonder whether The Hopetoun is on his list of future purchases.

Comments

johnnyr

johnnyr said on the 21st Feb, 2011

.....guess we're losing another venue :(

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Interesting.

I wonder if they'll still sponsor my cricket team?

ThatDude123 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Sam DeBrito just creamed his pants

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

I'll be sorry to see Mark and Andy go!

benr3

benr3 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

It was a fairly shitty place to see a band though, pretty sure Braveheart's Cricket team will be the only people to suffer much because of this!

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Maybe we can become The Merivale Troopers and Justin can send some vacuous bimbos with fake breasts along to our games to cheer us on?

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Can we make a rule that the phrase "cashed-up" stops being used forever.

MelonHCST

MelonHCST said on the 21st Feb, 2011

eddy current was well over 2 years ago. just sayin.

MissB

MissB said on the 21st Feb, 2011

One of my favourite venues/pubs. So many great gigs/nights there.

I hope it doesn't turn to shit.

doubtfulsounds

doubtfulsounds said on the 21st Feb, 2011

If Hemmes had any balls at all he'd take up the challenge to make it the best small pub venue for live music in Sydney... if he could do that then he'd fill the place nightly.

benr3

benr3 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Its a horrible space for bands to play, nice pub, but it wasn't built with live music in mind- when its full most punters can't see the 'stage' and if you want to get a drink you virtually have to walk on the "stage' to get one. (this sucks when you're in the band)

Annandale>Excelsior on any day of the week or weekend - FACT.

johnnyr

johnnyr said on the 21st Feb, 2011

sure the dale is better, but that's kind of missing the point.
less venues = less places for bands to play in & less places for punters to see bands.

MissB

MissB said on the 21st Feb, 2011

...if you want to get a drink you virtually have to walk on the "stage' to get one. (this sucks when you're in the band)

Uh...no you don't. The bar is out front in a completely different room with the thoroughfare nowhere near the stage.

I found the bar at the Hopetoun more of a bitch to get a drink at.

It's silly to compare the two venues as they differ vastly in size. (approx. 150 vs 400)

I'd hate to see this venue change into another money-hungry, soulless, hellhole playing crappy house music to yuppy snobs.

It's such a great venue, particularly for young bands that need a venue of this size to cut their teeth on.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Feb, 2011

1. miss b were you in machine gun fellatio as if that's you in the avatar you like a lot like her
2. i cannot wait to see the likes of k.i.m. and so on do guest dj sets
3. hemmes sounds like a doucher.

killacelebrity

killacelebrity said on the 21st Feb, 2011

crushing. i dug that venue... there aren't many left that are going to be support niche styles...

it makes no sense to compare the annandale and the excelsior. totally not the point.

another venue bites the dust. crushing.

MissB

MissB said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Nope!

Christa Hughes =

MissB aka Chantel Bann =

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Does it turn you on when you speak in third person? It always does for MAB.

MissB

MissB said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Are you talking to MissB?

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Only if you smell what The Rock is cookin'.

benr3

benr3 said on the 21st Feb, 2011

I found the bar at the Hopetoun more of a bitch to get a drink at.

Well I must admit its been a few of years since I've been there, maybe they've added an actual stage in the back room that used to be a bistro? Last time I was in there, bands played in the front room virtually on the corner of the bar - it was really stupid.

Plus they still owe my band money so I decided to boycott the place, they may help bands cut their teeth but they don't help wth the dentist bill!
The Annandale is a bigger venue but its still a pub gig - I was just making the point that if I wanted to see a pub gig I'd be more likely to go the the Annadale ( and I believe most peple would too)

MissB

MissB said on the 21st Feb, 2011

There's been a stage in the backroom for a longtime now and was expanded a bit a few years ago. A new PA and better lighting was also put in.

Did you actually bring enough people to your show to cover costs of production? Perhaps that's why you didn't get paid? Or did you go through a dodgy promoter? I've never heard of anyone being ripped off after playing there.

Again, it's silly to compare the Annandale to the Excelsior. Two different venues catering to different needs.

I frequent both venues quite often both as a punter and as a performer. They're both extremely important venues to have and the news that this Hemmes guy has bought the Ex is not promising for Sydney's music scene.

People: if you don't want the Excelsior to lose it's wonderful 7 nights a week of live music, GET TO A GIG, BUY A DRINK and SUPPORT WHAT'S THERE WHILE YOU STILL CAN. Show Hemmes that this pub serves a much more important purpose (ie. Enriching the Sydney live music scene) rather than creating another superficial cesspool.

johnnyr

johnnyr said on the 21st Feb, 2011

this will be a great gig april 30th, dumbsaint are awesome

this friday should be ok too, my band's playing (pls excuse shameless self-promotion) :cool:

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

oh you are the girlfriend of fnm fanboy luis rojas, i knew the name was familar.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

This Saturday afternoon my cricket team will be there from around lunchtime for a couple of hours.

Come down and bask in the glory of The Excelsior's number 1 cricket team. We can regale you with stories of park cricket triumphs and tragedies.

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Who are you?

I think I'm more of a fan(girl) of FNM than Luis is... :)

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

old internet e buddy he from the bombshell dayz. sometimes known as gman

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Well there weren't any costs for 'production' back then (and we're talking at least 3 years ago maybe 4) there was no stage, bands were simply designated a spot on the floor of the bar in the corner, we brought our own PA and sound engineer so it cost the venue nothing to have us there ( apart from writing our name on a chalk board outside - not sure how much chalk costs but it can't be much!) we brought over 100 peeps with us and many had to stand outside as the bar was too crowded. We were promised a percentage of the bar takings which we never got ( we were promoting ourselves back then because we couldn't afford to do it any other way) I learned my lesson though, now I get contracts signed by the venue manager before we set foot on the stage.

This is in no way meant to be a slagging off of the Excelsior, they may well have changed hands since then and I've/we've moved on from there.

I'm just saying that I won't miss it at all if it gets turned into a trendy bar because I think there are still plenty of better venues in Sydney.

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

That sounds more like the Excelsior Hotel in Glebe, not Surry Hills.

I've been playing at the Excelsior in Surry Hills for about 8 years now. I've always been paid off door takings, not the bar.

I've also been to the Excelsior in Glebe and what you're describing in terms of layout sounds more like that venue.

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

I'm sad to see any live music venue disappear.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Yeah, I think you must be talking about the Excelsior in Glebe. I can't imagine the Excelsior in Surry Hills putting on a band in the front bar.

Another good thing about the pub is the cab garage across the road makes it a great place to get a cab at even the most cab unfriendly times.

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Sorry to disappoint but I am talking about the Excelsior in Surry Hills not the one in Glebe - I've played both and I know that people confuse them often but alas - not this time.

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

It was a really terrible place to put the band, glad to hear this is not a regular set up for them - and it does explain why no one else agrees with me!

Just checked my email archive coz you guys started putting doubt in my mind but it really did happen in late 2007 playing with Jumbledat.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Maybe they were doing some renovations out the back. I remember them doing something out there a few years ago (maybe when they were renovating the kitchen).

They also currently run a little bit of backpacker accommodation upstairs.

I wonder if Hemmes will turn that accommodation into a brothel? I've seen numerous hookers in The Ivy during the few times I've been there on a weekend. More vertical integration in his business model is surely a good idea.

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

You're probably right, it would also explain why there was no door charge and hence the promise of being payed off the bar takings instead of the door charge like Miss B was saying usually happens. The place really couldn't handle the amount of people who turned up - if half the pub was closed for renovations this would make sense.

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

They also currently run a little bit of backpacker accommodation upstairs.

I wonder if Hemmes will turn that accommodation into a brothel?

I'll trade backpackers for hookers any day of the week!

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

True.

...glad to hear this is not a regular set up for them - and it does explain why no one else agrees with me!

Wow - you've only been to the place once?

You honestly should check the venue out properly. It's a great little venue to play. Hopefully, it still will be...

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Did you mean to put that the other way around or are you a fan of hookers Ben?

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

True.

Wow - you've only been to the place once?

I'm pretty sure he's from Melbourne.

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Fair enough then! ;)

benr3

benr3 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

wow so many questions!

Yes - I 've only been there once, they didn't pay me so I didn't go back.

Willing to give them a second chance after what you guys have said but it seems I won't have much oppertunity to do that anyway.

Although I'd hardly call myself a fan of hookers, I prefer them to backpackers!

and I live in Sydney.

MissB

MissB said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

You should.

There are plenty of gigs on at least until the end of March - possibly past then too.

Go. Support.

grattan said on the 8th Jun, 2011

NIGHTCLUB baron Justin Hemmes had a gun put to his head during an armed robbery at one of his Sydney hotels last night.

Hemmes was drinking at the recently purchased Excelsior Hotel in Surry Hills at 11pm (AEST) when two men entered, armed with a screwdriver and gun and demanded cash.

A visibly shaken Hemmes told police at the scene that the men had a put a gun to his head before running out and jumping into a waiting car.

"I had a gun put to my f**king head and when I chased them out, they jumped into a car and a guy shouted 'Go, go, go'," Mr Hemmes told officers.

Police from Surry Hills arrived as the bandits were making their escape from the scene.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

I was at the Excelsior on Saturday afternoon.

The new fitout and Mexican decor is horrendously tacky.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

I was going to go there for dinner on Wednesday, how did the food look?

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

The food looked alright. It seemed pretty cheap. We just got some corn chips and salsa.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

Cool. Cheap is good to hear ha ha.

Braveheart81 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

It says Viva Los Tacos on the wall, so you know it's authentic.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Jun, 2011

Maybe the people who held him up were a Mexican gangster were so caught up in the authenticity that they thought he had broken into their own home?

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 30th Jun, 2011

I was at the Excelsior on Saturday afternoon.

The new fitout and Mexican decor is horrendously tacky.

It's just a pop up bar until the new designs are done. I like it the way it is to be honest. As soon as he turns it into another Hemmes pub and sucks all character out of it I won't be back.

The mexican hotdogs are pretty incredible.

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jun, 2011

I liked the old Excelsior.

I thought the current decor sucked all the life out of the place.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 30th Jun, 2011

Yes I agree. I wish it could be salvaged; but I'd much prefer a tacky mexican joint to a ritzy bar filled with suit wearing cunts.

Braveheart81 said on the 30th Jun, 2011

As a suit wearing cunt, I resent that comment.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 1st Jul, 2011

I love u braveheart. present company excluded

berlinchair101 said on the 11th Aug, 2011

I went last night. Food is cheap but the portions are pretty small. Tasted pretty good to me, but I'm no foodie.

It seems pretty good if you wanted a casual drinks with some food and the place has a pretty decent vibe.

It's no cheap taco Tuesday at the Norfolk though.

Spicy is right though, the pork hot dog is the best thing I had from the menu.

Braveheart81 said on the 11th Aug, 2011

Here's a foodie protip.

Le Monde, across the road from the Excelsior does a wicked breakfast and it is pretty cheap. Great weekend brunch place.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 11th Aug, 2011

I love that place BH. My office is moving just around the corner from it in a few months, pretty excited to gorge myself each morning.