Kyuss Lives! in Australia

In October 1995, just three months after releasing what was arguably their breakthrough album And The Circus Leaves Town, the influential stoner rock group Kyuss broke up. The band has been on an indefinite hiatus ever since leaving fans wandering the desert in search of new thrills.

Now, after reaching legendary status and influencing thousands of rock bands all over the world, three quarters of Kyuss have regrouped under the name Kyuss Lives! and coming to Australia to play a series of epic shows in May 2011.

Kyuss Lives! features original Kyuss members singer John Garcia, bassist Nick Oliveri and drummer Brant Bjork and will be joined Bruno Fevery on guitar.

Proudly presented by FasterLouder Kyuss Lives !:

Wednesday 4th May – Coolangatta Hotel, Gold Coast, – 18+
Friday 6th May – The Tivoli, Brisbane – 18+
Saturday 7th May – Metro Theatre, Sydney – Lic A/A
Sunday 8th May – Billboard, Melbourne – 18+
Tuesday 10th May – Fowlers, Adelaide – Lic A/A
Wednesday 11th May – Capitol, Perth – 18+

Tickets on sale Thursday 25th November

Comments

hedonism gibbon said on the 29th Nov, 2010

thet should have a mini D-barrier at the big top and only let people that show tickets for the Metro theater in there!

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 29th Nov, 2010

or just put it at a different venue. big top is an epic poo hole

hedonism gibbon said on the 30th Nov, 2010

i was assuming big top is (very unfortunately) locked-in

metro ticket holders deserve some sort of privelege anyway to alleviate the disappointment of the venue change, but of course nothing of the sort will happen and we'll just have to cop it

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 30th Nov, 2010

i was assuming big top is (very unfortunately) locked-in

OR! They could get added to the SW lineup and to a sideshow at the Hordern with QOTSA and Josh Homme could play with them and then pigs would fly out of the stage

hedonism gibbon said on the 1st Dec, 2010

Is that before or after Axl Rose joins Slash on stage for some guest vocals on Paradise City and Welcome to the Jungle?!?!?

grattan said on the 1st Dec, 2010

Both Brisbane and Adelaide are on the verge of sell out with less than 100 tickets remaining to each show.

grattan said on the 21st Feb, 2011

Tumbleweed will handle the duties of opening for the Kyuss Lives gig in Sydney; Byron Bay's Fort will open all other shows.

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Hmm, I remember hearing a few Fort songs ages ago and thinking they were alright. I guess they'll do.

ThatDude123 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

Hate that this is sold out :(

hedonism gibbon said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

my mate who missed out saw a ticket on ebay for $120 and offered $80 and the guy said call it $90 and now he's going if that helps

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 7th May, 2011

So...

who's grown their hair long an' seen 'em ?

batdan

batdan said on the 7th May, 2011

hair is still short but I will be there in Adel.

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 7th May, 2011

Same...

with long hair and a Fu Manchu tshirt.

cowboy

cowboy said on the 7th May, 2011

Brilliant show at the Tivoli last night. Truly awesome.

hedonism gibbon said on the 7th May, 2011

all i can say is bite it Joshua Homme, Kyuss fucking Lives and Kyuss STILL fucking rule!

berlinchair101 said on the 7th May, 2011

They were really great last night.

hedonism gibbon said on the 8th May, 2011

really reeeeaaaaally great..... i'm STILL awake post-gig

and the new guitarist cut it well... and has much cooler hair than josh :)

indiie

indiie said on the 8th May, 2011

from the brisbane gig

stupid lowercase rule forces my link to be invalid. what is the point of forcing peoples post to be in lowercase anyway?

try searching youtube for
kyuss lives - compilation of live brisbane show - tivoli theatre may 2011

shazie said on the 8th May, 2011

Until you make enough posts(can't remember the exact number, 50?), your text stays in lowercase to stop people making random accounts and posting in all caps. At least that's what I think

indiie

indiie said on the 8th May, 2011

oh ok now i see how stopping them from posting in all caps would make all the difference.

lol wtf???

indiie

indiie said on the 8th May, 2011

third times a charm!!

indiie

indiie said on the 8th May, 2011

OR NOT. 50 does not appear to be the magic number *sigh*

*edit*
ZING!

Now let's never speak of this inconveniece again.

waylon black

waylon black said on the 9th May, 2011

Yes it was, I thought they would be good but not THAT good.

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 9th May, 2011

Sick nuts...

tomoz in D'laide !

waylon black

waylon black said on the 9th May, 2011

I shed tear's of joy during 50 million year trip, the first Kyuss track I ever heard, bang there I was all those years ago totally blown away by the sound and the feel, that outro!

Still pumped from the gig, the sound, the standard of their playing, how good Garcia still sounds and the fucking groove!

Enjoy the show.

Bognashavin

Bognashavin said on the 9th May, 2011

have to say i was close to tears of joy myslef. unbeleiveable gig. whoever organised the bar setup at luna park should be tortured in public, seriosuly consdiering banning that venue even if hendrix himself rose and played a gig there.

hedonism gibbon said on the 9th May, 2011

still got a bit of a buzz from saturday but yeah that bar setup in the bigtop is so pathetic it's criminal

only other lament, i can't begin to imagine how fucking mind-blowing it would have been at the Metro (as it said on my ticket.... grizzle)

Bognashavin

Bognashavin said on the 9th May, 2011

metro would have been mind blowing to dangerous levels.

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Adelaide gets them tmro night in a venue that holds 350 people.

I just bought a bucket from Bunnings for some pre gig bongs. Anyone keen look for me under the Fowler's stairwell...

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Adelaide early start:

Support 7.30 – 8.15

Kyuss 8.45 – 10.30

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 9th May, 2011

Phenomenal show in Melbourne last night. The band was really tight, Garcia sounded fucking amazing, in fact the sound in the venue was really good all around. As soon as Brant started belting out the Spaceship Landing intro, I knew we were in for a good one!

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2011

Adelaide gets them tmro night in a venue that holds 350 people.

Are you too good for an Orchy bottle and a length of garden hose?

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Hose is expensive in Adelaide.

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2011

Not when you buy it from your neighbour's garden and pay using your five finger discount.

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

People leave their pets outside and take the hose inside after dark in Adelaide. It's that kinda town...

hedonism gibbon said on the 9th May, 2011

but bucket bongs add another dimension... perfect for Kyuss

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Does the band have any decent merch?

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 9th May, 2011

I liked the looks of the shirts and the poster especially, but I personally wouldn't like to wear a shirt that says Kyuss Lives! on it.

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Was the poster one of those nice art ones that bloke from Malben does for tours?

hedonism gibbon said on the 9th May, 2011

yeah the shirts looked good and not too crazy but like said above, you'd wanna be able able to scratch off the "Lives" bit somehow

it was KYUSS to me. full. stop.

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 9th May, 2011

I am chinese-eyed already...

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Don't you mean Chinee-eyed?

berlinchair101 said on the 9th May, 2011

it was KYUSS to me. full. stop.

I was suprise they didn't come back as Sons of Kyuss.

hedonism gibbon said on the 9th May, 2011

i'll bet they do another album given the success of the tour so far and tour again in a year or so and be just called Kyuss again

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 9th May, 2011

Outstanding gig at the Lame Top on Saturday - and would you believe I found myself with 3 last minute spare tickets, hung around the ticket office for 10 minutes but there were no interested parties so we ran inside for Tumbleweed.

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Tumbleweed the support for the whole tour?

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 9th May, 2011

Nope, other cities get Fort. They were alright.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th May, 2011

I quite enjoyed Tumbleweed, I'd never heard them before.

hedonism gibbon said on the 9th May, 2011

cool band, see if you can give their album Galataphonic a listen

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 9th May, 2011

Hope this is a long term reunion cause i would really love to catch them.

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 9th May, 2011

Fuck yeah Tumbleweed are amazing. Mine and Jayney's band get to play with them in Adelbabe next month!

I am so fucking pumped for tomorrow night. Might have to watch my Cheech and Chong vids to remember how to roll that 2m blunt.....

batdan

batdan said on the 9th May, 2011

What is your band called? Anyone else supporting?

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 9th May, 2011

Hurro !

I just caught a mate on FB in a snap with Brant - fucker.

I fucken dig Rich and the boyz from teh weed.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 9th May, 2011

Yes, and to be honest, the "lets just put a chick on the poster with some fancy design around it" attitude that the artist seems to have with the last half dozen QOTSA and now Kyuss show, is getting kind of old...

ashryn

ashryn said on the 9th May, 2011

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious Rod..
;p

rodismdotcom said on the 9th May, 2011

Your spelling and grammar are atrocious Rod..
;p

too many pre Kyuss bucket bongs...

gumbuoy said on the 10th May, 2011

i think you might overestimating how annoyed/surprised Homme would be that the band he used to be in can still put together a show...

hedonism gibbon said on the 10th May, 2011

nah, all i'm saying is that sure Queens and Vultures are good but Kyuss will always rule above them, with or without Josh

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 10th May, 2011

Josh would have definitely been on that tour.

rodismdotcom said on the 10th May, 2011

Ignore this. I am wrong and confused. I blame the denim jacket and the toilet water.

hedonism gibbon said on the 10th May, 2011

although he must be at least somehow peeved by it...

"Josh Homme presented an immediate problem to the tour, stating in no uncertain terms he refused to “rub his dick” on a proud memory by resurrecting a long dead idea"

yet he let's Brodie Daly touch it?!?!?!

knate

knate said on the 10th May, 2011

although he must be at least somehow peeved by it...

yet he let's Brodie Daly touch it?!?!?!

That was an old resurrected quote from years ago when he said he didn't want to sour what kuyss was. Not in context at all

hedonism gibbon said on the 10th May, 2011

well nothing they have done in the past week has soured the Kyuss legacy in any way, it has only entrenched it, greatly in fact.

so from that point of view Homme has erred in this judgement/appraisal of the reunion idea.

So many people here said shit like 'it won't be the same without Homme, he WAS Kyuss blah blah" when this tour was first slated... these people could not have been more incorrect, they couldn't have been any better with 3 Josh Homme's onstage!

The truth is that Kyuss are and always have been 4 very important ingredients working together, and one part, the guitarist, has now been VERY successfully replaced, with renewed energy and purpose.

Hail KYUSS!

Braveheart81 said on the 10th May, 2011

Could a gibbon handle that many orangutans?

knate

knate said on the 10th May, 2011

Yes, I remember the blagging I got from chan marshall for saying that. Homme was a guitar player, yes he may have really forged that sound, but he didn't make them, John Garcia made them. End of fuking story, and I think that's been proven

berlinchair101 said on the 10th May, 2011

I was one of the people who was wary of the lack of ginger elvis.

Not as much as I was that there was no Scott Reeder.

I'm happy to say I was proven wrong on both counts.

hedonism gibbon said on the 10th May, 2011

the long arms of the gibbon can handle anything, check out my gibbon avatar attacking the tiger!

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 10th May, 2011

I was one of the people who was wary of the lack of ginger elvis.

Not as much as I was that there was no Scott Reeder.

I'm happy to say I was proven wrong on both counts.

I would've much preferred Reeder too, but Oliveri exceeded all my expectations.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 10th May, 2011

Oliveri seemed surprisingly reserved and conservative on Saturday. At least when you compare to the screaming naked man in QOTSA.

As great as it was I disagree 100% that Homme wouldn't have improved it. Everything could do with more Homme.

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 11th May, 2011

Last night was so rad I forgot to take the earplugs outta my pocket...

Allens Wrench as the closer sealed the deal.

My ears hurt.

hedonism gibbon said on the 11th May, 2011

1. i'm guessing Oliveri's apparent "reservedness" was probably due to the complexity of the riffs he was busting out. Compared to the simplicity of what he played for Queens, i reckon he actually has to concentrate to play Kyuss, esp the parts he has never played before (i.e. Reeder's later stuff)

2. Each to their own, but HOW do you suggest could it have been any better with Homme? He plays too fast in Queens these days i reckon, i was disappointed a little with their Soundwave set compared to multiple previous tours.

I truly think Bruno probably did a BETTER job than Josh could have done at this present day, simply because he would be taking his new job more seriously that Homme would have and he's been playing with John in "Garcia plays Kyuss" for a while now.... the chemistry certainly was there to be heard.

But i guess we'll never know the definitive answer eh

rodismdotcom said on the 11th May, 2011

Fark what a show, little stage banter - the music did the talking, killer setlist, band were tight as, riffs thick as concrete, people bonging on in the venue, undercover cops in stussy gear circa 93 hanging outside the venue to try and nab anyone who was lighting up.

Couldn't fault it.

As was said above, it has actually strengthened the legacy.

astrobeck

astrobeck said on the 11th May, 2011

allens wrench as the closer sealed the deal.

you left before the 2nd encore?

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 11th May, 2011

Last night was so rad I forgot to take the earplugs outta my pocket...

Allens Wrench as the closer sealed the deal.

My ears hurt.

Pretty sure Green Machine was the closer

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

writing the review right now is a bitch! how the fuck do you say "ummmmmm it was kyuss, we were all really toasted and it all kinda blended into each other"...

Can you edit that please, Rodney?

Fuck, it was amazing, though. We were on the side of stage, and could only see Bruno for about a 1/4 of the show. Kinda funny, there were moments I could swear Josh Homme was in the room.....

As for Tumbleweed, our band is called Quiet in the Lab!, we're opening, Ride into the sun are second local support. Still confirming a 4th band, most likely.... :)

Braveheart81 said on the 12th May, 2011

Can you edit that please, Rodney?

I'd spend two paragraphs talking about the triumphant return of stoner rock and then six paragraphs talking about how epic the kebab you ate afterwards was.

gumbuoy said on the 12th May, 2011

Dont forget three paragraphs of

Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme! Suck it Homme!

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

hahaha! i knew you guys would come through.

No kebab, but to be honest I can't remember what I DID eat afterwards. Maybe more beer.....

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

Also, just gimme a sec or two to know that we're gonna be backstage with Tumbleweed in a few weeks. Better make sure I don't go there until AFTER we play, or I may forget the laws of space and time and curl up in a ball somewhere....

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

Seriously though, I don't really wanna hang shit on Homme. He's still pretty fucking rad.

gumbuoy said on the 12th May, 2011

you dont have to - just hope that he's actually a nice guy, and will be happy that his friends are still putting on good shows...

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

I think we can go on QOTSA history, the reasons for kicking out Olivieri seem pretty fair. Plus the story of how he and Jesse met gives me hope. And say what you will about Brody Dalle, she's one of the loveliest girls you'll ever meet.

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

besides, using rodney's bucket bong comment as an opening sentence seems to have opened the floodgates. ;) Better leave some writing for jayney when she gets back from work!

berlinchair101 said on the 12th May, 2011

Is there any evidence that Josh would be unhappy for this to happen?

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

I don't think so, but he's been pretty public about his desire to keep Kyuss something that peeps remember, rather than relive.....

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

fuck! I was too wasted to remember what they opened with... was it Gardenia?

Balthazar B

Balthazar B said on the 12th May, 2011

So it looks like I might have missed out on that second encore...

I even missed out on a tshirt. C'est la vie.

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 12th May, 2011

thanks Dave, just ended up mentioning highlights anyway.

The t-shirts were rad, balthazar! I got the black one with the cacti on it. There were about 5 designs, i reckon!

astrobeck

astrobeck said on the 12th May, 2011

i've put 4 vids in total on youtube but as i only joined here a few days ago i can't share links. so searching "kyuss adelaide" will bring them up. :)

DougieAndJayney

DougieAndJayney said on the 13th May, 2011

thanks beck! you're a champ!

batdan

batdan said on the 13th May, 2011

Had a young lad turn to me just before the second encore saying "OMG can you believe there is a second encore!!!!! I have never heard of this before!!!!!"

I replied "yeah it has, I've seen it"

"who" he asked.

"umm bands" I replied.

Not sure who was the biggest tool in that conversation.

I wish they played Demon Cleaner but I was pleased with the gig, only way it could have been better was if I caught up with Rod for buckets.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 23rd May, 2011

damn... NZ got a killer poster...

better than the Aus posters the artists have been churning out recently...

rodismdotcom said on the 23rd May, 2011

Wow, Sandman panel van. One of the best ones I have seen in a while.

There are 77 more comments. View them all