• 20906
Image for Soundwave confirm line-up and Iron Maiden sideshows

Soundwave confirm line-up andIron Maiden sideshows

Festival promoter AJ Maddah has confirmed via twitter that the Soundwave Festival line-up that was widely reported today, is indeed the first official announcement for the 2011 event.

Expressing his disappointment that the line-up was revealed 24 hours earlier than originally planned, Maddah confirmed that there would be eight more bands announced in October one of which “is the [festival’s] third headliner.”

Festival headliner Iron Maiden also announced on their website that as well as heading up Soundwave 2011 they will be playing two super-sized sideshows on 23rd February at Hisense Arena in Melbourne and 24th February at the Entertainment Centre in Sydney.

The official first 2011 Soundwave Festival Line-up:

Breathe Carolina
Taking Dawn
I See Stars
Rise To Remain
Nonpoint, Veara,
Every Avenue.

And more to be announced very soon.

Get in the mood for all things Soundwave with our ‘Best Of Soundwave’ gallery, which looks back at the best moments from the last five years.

Soundwave Festival 2011

Saturday 26th February – RNA Showgrounds, Brisbane
Sunday 27th February – Eastern Creek Raceway, sale Sydney
Friday 4th March – Showgrounds, Melbourne
Saturday 5th March – Bonython Park, Adelaide
Monday 7th March – Steel Blue Oval, Perth
All shows licensed all ages

Soundwave Festival member’s pre sale (must be registered on the Soundwave website):

Brisbane -Tuesday 17 August
Sydney – Wednesday 18 August
Melbourne – Thursday 19 August
Adelaide and Perth – Friday 20 August

Social

Comments

Braveheart81 said on the 5th Aug, 2010

I think Tyler posted it originally. It might have been from AJ's twitter or something.

Sticko

Sticko said on the 5th Aug, 2010

deftones have gotta be the third headliner. after they finish the tour with mastadon and alice in chains.

spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle said on the 5th Aug, 2010

Are you just stirring up trouble or what?

Headliners really dont get much bigger than that. Preferences aside, and i have never been a huge Iron Maiden fan, but i would classify them in the top 10 biggest names worldwide to headline a festival with their background, success and musical influence. I would rate them up there with Metallica, U2, Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Neil Young and others of their ilk. They may not be a hugely popular band to the current generation, but they are a fucking awesome headliner and a wonderful signing by the Soundwave organisers.

Yaki

Yaki said on the 5th Aug, 2010

I think you're right there Sticksy!

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I don't argue their popularity. I'm sure they are big enough to headline (though I'm not sure I'd put them up there with the bands you mentioned). My comment that they are a weak headliner is largely based on the fact that I don't like them and I think they're vastly overrated. Chances are others think the same thing of the bands I like so that's neither here nor there. I'd also argue that they're not significantly more popular than Faith No More and Nine Inch Nails in recent years. I'd also argue that The Melvins are more influential on music than iron Maiden are.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Also, I think it's been confirmed by the organisers that the Deftones definitely aren't playing Soundwave - word is they might be on the BDO.

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Iron Maiden has sold far more records than either Faith No More or Nine Inch Nails.

Whilst that doesn't make them a better band, it certainly makes them more popular.

Sticko

Sticko said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i'd hate to have to go to bdo again just to see deftones.

craig123

craig123 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

As much as I love maiden, they have been around since the late 70's when did NIN form ? and FNM ? I expect that the extra decade of sales has helped especially with the early albums.

Nonetheless get ready to bring your daughters to the slaughter !

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I seriously don't know where to begin with this post.

Sticko

Sticko said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i'm with you on that one spicy

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Actually, I reckon it's just easy for people to thoughtlessly dismiss or slag them off them as a spandex phenomenon without really understanding that NWOBHM really was an essential precursor and influence on the metal that came after, including thrash.

So thrash and its ilk gets the cred that NWOBHM just doesn't.

You don't get bigger in terms of NWOBHM than Maiden.

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

You don't get bigger in terms of acronyms than NWOBHM

Agreed!

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

ILTCOYJ, BH. YMFNPAIHYSA.

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I got the first bit, but I haven't worked out what YMFNPAIHYSA is.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Something to nice to occupy your lunchbreak, then.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

You won't hear any arguments from me there.

I'm not sure that past record sales are an accurate reflection of current popularity.

craig123

craig123 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Sticko

Sticko said on the 6th Aug, 2010

jay lane is drumming for primus!! woooot

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

By that logic, Paramore should have headlined last year and 30 Seconds to Mars should be the headliner this year.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I never said Iron Maiden shouldn't headline.

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I'm struggling to work out what your point is then.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Shall we call the festival off because your tastes aren't developed enough to like Iron Maiden?

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I like the cut of your jib, braveheart. You motherfucking ninkum poop and I hate you so aha

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Sorry Spicy, last time I checked I was allowed to have an opinion. Clearly this is no longer the case.

I don't remember suggesting that the festival should be cancelled, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm quite looking forward to it, despite the shitty headline act (in my opinion).

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Demosthenes better not have called me a ninkumpoop!

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Why not just say you're not an Iron Maiden fan then?

By your own logic they are big enough to headline, you just don't like them.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Why not just say you're not an Iron Maiden fan then?

By your own logic they are big enough to headline, you just don't like them.
That's pretty much what I said, plus another couple of points. I'm not sure what the problem was. English is your first language right?

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

It did take you about five posts to get there...

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Maybe you'd get a bit more love if you argued more cogently why you believe they are "vastly overrated" rather than leaving it as a bald statement.

I find it a little hard to be convinced by a random person telling me something is shit but not why they believe it's so.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Two if you want to get picky

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Good question, I'm not sure I have an answer that will satisfy anyone on this thread. My immediate thoughts are that being a metal fan growing up in the 80s & 90s, I didn't think there was anything particular original or inspiring about their music.

I'm not really trying to convince anyone of anything to be honest. If you guys like them then I have no issue with that. Funny that fanbois out there get all arched up when someone dares not like the band they love...

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I have no problem with you not liking them, but claiming they aren't a worthy headliner because you don't like them is stupid.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I never liked Somewhere in Time that much, and post Fear of the Dark is pretty fallow ground.

The other interesting thing I find about Maiden is that I like Live After Death much more than the renditions on the individual studio.

For sure, they'll probably never better that Powerslave-era suff. But in the studio recordings, there's something that's just not quite right. Put 'em in front of a crowd though and it's totally mental.

Personally I prefer a good discussion to a long series of "that's shit" and "no it's not". One lineofbestfit here is far too much, tbh.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 6th Aug, 2010

No question their live stuff is better than recorded I think. I doubt many people would disagree with that Demos

gumbuoy said on the 6th Aug, 2010

You May Fuck No Pain And I Heart Your Sweet Ass.

That started out poorly, but I think the ending saved it...

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Hellboy is a metalhead. Metalheads love to complain, it's what they do.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

The internet is built on a foundation of complaints and trolling...

Stefan Beck said on the 6th Aug, 2010

The new album from Yo La Tengo.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Despite all of this, as long as they don't clash with the Melvins, Primus, QOTSA or Slayer, I will probably check Iron Maiden out live.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Could be worse - I could be complaining about all the emo and hardcore bands digging into Iron Maidens setlist time...

Bognashavin

Bognashavin said on the 6th Aug, 2010

great lineup, but still struggling to embrace waht was the most pathetically run festival i have ever been to (syd this yr) no end of pointless disorganisation and uselessness. monumental fail saved only by my devotion to fnm.

Mutton Chops

Mutton Chops said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Queens Of The Stone Age, Slayer, Primus, The Bronx, High On Fire, The Sword.
After all the weak lineup leaks these bands make it worthwhile, throw Dozer in there somewhere and then, well sir, you've got yourself a swinging shindig.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I love Seventh Son of a Seventh Son though.

radiocide

radiocide said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i don't see how the melbourne leg can run so smoothly every year, when from all reports sydney seems to be such a shambles.

this is a huge lineup, but i'm not gonna lie...i had higher expectations for the non-metal side of the bill. great to see the bronx, foxy shazam and social distortion on there though, and there's more than enough there to make a full day for me.

radiocide

radiocide said on the 6th Aug, 2010

also, seeing as one of the bands to be announced in october is the third headliner...can i still hold my breath for weezer?

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Aug, 2010

I would wager a bet for Weezer

Also everyone not happy with Eastern Creek. Flights are cheap, go elsewhere. I am heading for Adelaide instead next year.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Brisbane has been fine for me the last couple of years, but I think people who like to enjoy music while having a beer had a few complaints about the setup this year. That's me usually, but I'm too poor to buy beers at festivals so it didn't worry me.

Definitely keen for a second dose of Homme within 8 months.

libby

libby said on the 6th Aug, 2010

OK, I'm up for my first ever Soundwave. I've heard so many bad things about the Sydney leg - are all the other cities ok? I guess I'll just see what the cheapest flights are between now & then

Braveheart81 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

You should talk to Spicy McHaggis.

He raves about the Adelaide version (mainly because it is much smaller I think).

craig123

craig123 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

come to brisbane - i'm there what else can I say. Brisbane borrows the old livid layout and is pretty good. But is a large number.

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

You should talk to Spicy McHaggis.

The size of the Adelaide Soundwave makes all the difference. Can't compare it to other Soundwaves, but I think it's the perfect size for a festival and I hope it doesn't get any bigger.

Having been to Big Day Outs in Sydney before, going to a festival where the crowds aren't really a problem is awesome.

batdan

batdan said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i can now sleep sound at night knowing everything is in its right place

radiocide

radiocide said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i think i'll check out the second announcement, then decide if i want to do melbourne and adelaide. anyone know how many tickets get released for adelaide?

batdan

batdan said on the 6th Aug, 2010

you should talk to spicy mchaggis.

he raves about the adelaide version (mainly because it is much smaller i think).

adelaide is rad, or what the kids call it radelaide.

random_hero

random_hero said on the 6th Aug, 2010

adelaide is australias serial killer capital

batdan

batdan said on the 6th Aug, 2010

and your point is? it has to be somewhere.

random_hero

random_hero said on the 6th Aug, 2010

adelaide isnt that cool then now is it, the only place that adelaide is better than is brisbane

hellboy1975 said on the 6th Aug, 2010

Probably better than the Australian pedophile capital

batdan

batdan said on the 6th Aug, 2010

i don't know what all the hype is about, i've been to adelaide heaps of times and never been serial killed once, not even close.

radiocide

radiocide said on the 6th Aug, 2010

the worst i got was a mild stabbing

bagofdimes

bagofdimes said on the 6th Aug, 2010

holly shit i think my body has just entered another frequency after looking at the sound wave 2011 line up!!!!

grattan said on the 12th Aug, 2010

batdan

batdan said on the 12th Aug, 2010

thanks grattan, nothing like a little bit of slayer in the morning

Whiplash

Whiplash said on the 13th Aug, 2010

I would go for ILL nino, Stonesour, Maiden, and if Bullet for my Valentine joined the line up, I would go NO MATTER WHAT!!!

kuntess

kuntess said on the 15th Aug, 2010

oh good lord. can't wait for soundwave.. clearly i will be maxing out my credit card for all this :( haha

chaos_bleeds

chaos_bleeds said on the 15th Aug, 2010

this has got to be the best lineup so far!. tickets are gonna sell so fast and im a bit worried il probably miss out

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 16th Aug, 2010

Any chance Spinnerette will be on the secondy?

She said this in an interview - "In 2010, she intends on recording two albums. The first will be a follow-up to the Spinnerette full-length, the second a side-project with Queens Of The Stone Age’s Joey Castillo, and Todd Youth from Danzig."

It would make sense to come out with her hubby - get paid twice for the same tour???

bagofdimes

bagofdimes said on the 16th Aug, 2010

soundwave 2011 lineup is fucking insane!!

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 17th Aug, 2010

Brisbane: got 'em.

That is all.

craig123

craig123 said on the 17th Aug, 2010

Brisbane: got 'em.

That is all.
makes two of us and counting.

Yaki

Yaki said on the 17th Aug, 2010

Any chance Spinnerette will be on the secondy?

That picture of Brody is unmeasurably hot.

Yaki

Yaki said on the 17th Aug, 2010

or immesurably...
can't. think. propper.

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th Aug, 2010

My fave is the one of her licking the amp. Be right back...

EDIT: Bummer. It's only small :(

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 17th Aug, 2010

The fact that the amp says "Bad Cat" only adds to the magic...

tyler07 said on the 7th Sep, 2010

We The Kings added to festival.

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Sep, 2010

Surely now Nick Jonas and The Administration aren't too much to ask?

tyler07 said on the 7th Sep, 2010

I've never heard of/listened to We The Kings but when I saw that Soundwave posted one of their vids feat. Demi Lovato I feared for the quality of the music...

Jonas Brothers are the 3rd headliner.

Scotty_Thompson

Scotty_Thompson said on the 29th Oct, 2010

*Bump*

Alesana have pulled out and are being replaced by Polar Bear Club
A Skylit Drive have been replaced by Blessthefall

This Town Needs Guns have been added to the lineup

Jose Cuervo said on the 29th Oct, 2010

happy about polar bear club :D

Knaggz

Knaggz said on the 29th Oct, 2010

hehehe my friend's favourite band dropping out only to be replaced by mine? priceless
:D :D

moar brody pics plz
kthnxbai

radiocide

radiocide said on the 30th Oct, 2010

This Town Needs Guns. Amazing.

tyler07 said on the 30th Oct, 2010

PBC and TTNG, and we lose Alesana and A Skylit Drive? Yes please.

MorningAfterboy said on the 21st Nov, 2010

On Soundwave's Twitter feed this morning:

SOCIAL DISTORTION / THE BRONX - Sydney - March 1 at the Enmore. On sale Friday 9am

FUCK YES!

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 12th Dec, 2010

So... chance of a QOTSA sideshow in Sydney looking increasingly unlikely?

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 12th Dec, 2010

I think the chances of any QOTSA shows outside of the festival look slim to none.

chaos_bleeds

chaos_bleeds said on the 13th Dec, 2010

iron maiden side shows? and not in brisbane!!! goddamm

bagofdimes

bagofdimes said on the 14th Dec, 2010

helll yeah!!!!!! iron maiden baby

grattan said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

hehe...

Meanwhile Airbourne supporting Iron Maiden - perfect!

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

hehe...

Meanwhile Airbourne supporting Iron Maiden - perfect!

And I'm incredibly glad I was wrong. :)

ThatDude123 said on the 22nd Feb, 2011

With all this cock rock they may as well call the SEC this thursday night the Rooster Hall.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 24th Feb, 2011

Any chance Spinnerette will be on the secondy?

Yeah, real good work on those two albums in 2010, Brody.

There are 22 more comments. View them all