Image for FasterLouder presents Birds Of Tokyo and Silversun Pickups tour

FasterLouder presents Birds OfTokyo and Silversun Pickupstour

Two of the headline acts on the Coaster Festival lineup will tour Australia’s capital cities in September as Birds Of Tokyo hit the road accompanied by LA’s irresistible indie-rock prodigies Silversun Pickups.

The most recent tour from Ian Kenny and his Birds of Tokyo crew was acclaimed as “A truly beautiful, simply awesome performance from a band who deserve every award and accolade they earn” and with the additional lure of Silversun Pickups this is sure to be a must see tour.

Birds of Tokyo recently told FasterLouder that the new self titled album is “going to lose a few of the rocky fans” but the band is “really proud to stand by [ the album, which is ] probably the culmination of nearly seven years as a band. It’s kind of the first one we feel like stamping and say this is us.” While Silversun Pickups explained back in April last year that on their latest album Swoon they “made a conscious effort to change things up – we didn’t want to write a record that was just straightforward, and we wanted to add more moodiness into it.”

FasterLouder presents Birds Of Tokyo and Silversun Pickups on tour:

Wednesday 22nd September – Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide (All ages)
Friday 24th September – Brisbane Convention Centre (All ages)
Sunday 26th September – Wrest Point Ballroom, Hobart (All ages)
Thursday 30th September – Hordern Pavillion, Sydney (All ages)
Friday 1st October – Festival Hall, Melbourne (All ages)
Saturday 2nd October – Fremantle Arts Centre

Tickets on sale Friday 30th July.

Social

Comments

TFLUA-Tiger

TFLUA-Tiger said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

thanks for the lovely chat adam...i needed a vent! hah
ps. braveheart...bot's last 3 sydney shows have all been enmores.
again, misinformation just continues to feed silly debate....these venues like hordern etc were all booked well before sspu came on board....sorry!

pleasure was mine mate. if the worst that came out of it is one of my mates being dirty for not getting an autograph i've done well ;)

if i don't get 1200 words out of that there's something wrong with me as a writer.

cheers,

adam

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

How do you know the new album is going to do well, though? If the new album doesn't chart as well as Universes, then they probably won't fill the Hordern. If this does sell out, it won't be until like maybe a few days before - that's my prediction.

And what of current BoT status? Did the last tour even sell out?

MAB, BOT sold-out Enmore very very fast on last tour. They will fill the Hordern, easily. Just cause you don't get it, doesn't mean it isn't popular.

TFLUA-Tiger

TFLUA-Tiger said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

i'll claim the bungle with the annandale - i read that very wrong..

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

MAB is still coming to terms with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs playing The Hordern. Give him time.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

That's interesting, because I only ever saw Melbourne and Adelaide with sold out signs on the tour poster, and I never saw a sold out sign on the Enmore website - it's very hard to miss those little red bastards plastered over the links.

And I'm confused at what angle you're taking here, regarding that last sentence of yours. Are you saying that things I do get are popular?

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I get that was a cute little joke for everyone, but a little known fact is I made those comments before It's Blitz! had even been released.

anthonyz

anthonyz said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

And you are making the same comment before the next BOT album is released!

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

All I'm saying is that we can't presume that this album is going to do brilliantly. You appear to be saying that because they have a new album out, they will sell out the Hordern. Bit of a stretch, don't you think?

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

and tame impala at the metro. he flipped out at that one.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I recall you making a bigger deal out of that than I ever did, but that's cool all the same. That was deserved, though - the album turned out to be very impressive.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Well you did miss it. Cause it sold out. See the BIG RED STAMP: http://www.factorytheatre.com.au/events/2009/11/14/birds-of-tokyo-broken-strings-tour

And don't waste your time being confused, just assume you are right as you always do.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Its the natural progression of these style of bands to move onto the larger venue each album; whether they fill it or not, it could be seen as playing the status card just as much as banking on the new album being brilliant.

That said, JJJ are going to play it to death I'm sure.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

He said he didn't see the SOLD OUT stamped on the tour poster. He wasn't talking about the website.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I know I was just showing him it HAD sold it. FFS.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Uhh, Sarah, that wasn't the last tour. The last tour was the Saddest Thing I Know tour, which happened earlier this month. Have I done something to insult you lately? I don't get where this aggression is coming from.

That said, JJJ are going to play it to death I'm sure.

Fair call, but I'm just not entirely sold on them being fillers of these kind of venues on their name alone. Especially at 60 bucks a pop. If they can do it, more power to them; but I have my own doubts. That's all I'm saying.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I was being sarcastic Sarah. FFS.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I know I just cant deal!

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Not digging these negative vibes man

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

MAB is ruining FL forums for me. I really don't see the point on logging in here to post anymore, because all I see is his ridiculous arrogant shit.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Semantics MAB. They sell out the Enmore.

PS. This is discussion not aggression . Just cause I disagree with you doesnt mean Im being aggressive. No need to be affronted.

Semantics MAB.

Well, it's just when you say things like this -

- that I feel like I'm angering you, and I don't want that. It's uncool.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I don't think so, man. He used to be such a happy child until he learned the word "cunt" and started having LUNCH with FRIENDS.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

You'd think MAB would be more supportive of Ian Kenny. He's like his neckbeard brother from another mother.

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

16,662 posts later...

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Well, it's just when you say things like this -

- that I feel like I'm angering you, and I don't want that. It's uncool.

Was meant to be light-hearted. Just telling you not to get in a tizz. And you do tend to think you are always right, that's what forums are about it seems.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I love Kenny. I even have a photo with him. It used to be my avatar.

Sorry, sweetie, was there a point to that? That wasn't really a response or an insult or anything. It's just...there.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

neckbeard brother from another mother - I thing you have a good band name there BH

The Fool

The Fool said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

BEST THREAD EVER CUNCE

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Also Lukey - is your doco really done - can you post some linkage for me please?

The Fool

The Fool said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

did i say best? i meant most retarded

mab: ssshhhh........

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Sure is, finished last Friday morning. I don't think I can post online due to copyright though :(

EDIT: That said, I may be able to send a personal screening copy to FL.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I'm not worried at all; I encourage this kind of this discussion. And I'm not claiming right or wrong - all I have is my own opinions.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

the difference is the majority of people here know when to stop arguing

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Your problem is that you don't seem to like any kind of argument at all.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

He's a lover not a fighter.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

EDIT: That said, I may be able to send a personal screening copy to FL.

Cool, well let me know anyway - would like to just check it out for interests sake even.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

And what's the moral of today's thread then?

Chan_Marshall

Chan_Marshall said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Thumbs up to this tour announcement.

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

I don't mind either of these bands; but I just don't like the Hordern.

Everyone needs to take a few deep breaths.

yeoman

yeoman said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Adam...
Haters gonna hate

worst thing you could do is get on the forums and bitch back.

Get on here if your tour doesn't sell, and then have a dig...
rather than trying to 1up brainless forumers for "negativity"

this is the internet ffs

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

This thread has been the highlight of my work day. It's not every day that someone from a well known band comes onto the forum to berate me.

yeoman

yeoman said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

was looking for that pic, but didnt want to delve into 4chan... or id never get out alive
cheers

shazie said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Wow so this is what happens after a day of being at work o.O

Long story short (if you're still here adam):

Looking forward to the show, will be 6th time I've seen you guys, but just disappointed SSPU didn't get their own show. Thanks for coming on here though and was nice hearing what you had to say about it, didn't know that you guys were actually dipping into your own pockets for this (then again I don't know anything about how funding for tours works).

All the best for the tour and can't wait for the new album.

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Wow I always just assumed BIrds of Tokyo were whiney little girls. I hope they don't tell my mum I'm being negative and not supporting Australian bands.

tyler07 said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Ian Kenny looks like a bit of a weirdo

Stefan Beck said on the 22nd Jun, 2010

Any thread where the central subject matter is a band that counts Ian Kenny as a member gets so retarded so fast.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 23rd Jun, 2010

after hearing the new BoT track on jjj just then, i'd say they'll easily fill the hordern, it sounds like an appeal to temper trap fans. be a fairly mixed crowd, bogans of old, tweens of new, indie snobs of sspu << sucks the be them

Braveheart81 said on the 23rd Jun, 2010

Your name is Spicy McHaggis and you have a set of bagpipes as your avatar.

Clearly you do!

gumbuoy said on the 23rd Jun, 2010

I thought us indie snobs made it pretty clear that the non-indie headlining band, poor choice of venue and exorbitant ticket price meant we wouldnt be attending?

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Jun, 2010

You'll still be there. Someone has to rip on the bogans.

gumbuoy said on the 23rd Jun, 2010

Im not gonna pay that amount of money when I could wander into any city nightclub and do it for free...

billzbub

billzbub said on the 2nd Jul, 2010

everyone looks like someone else these days!!! that guy in silversun pickups looks like Danny Widdicombe of the Wilson Pickers...and god damn that looks like Ian Kenny of Karnivool in BOT...hold on a minute...

pac man

pac man said on the 28th Sep, 2010

hey all,
thought i'd chime in as sometimes it's actually difficult to sit by and watch strangers type some pretty crappy things about you...this is adam from birdsoftokyo...i never usually enter in to forum things, but its tough sometimes when people bring to your attention alot of negativity in response to what we feel is a really lovely announcement.
just a bit of info for you all:
silversun pickups will be playing a full set, full production..the works...on this upcoming tour....we prefer to think of it as a really strongly billed show..with more to be added...all parties are really happy about this...
we, like you guys have a great appreciation for this wonderful band and would hope that you don't miss out on seeing them because you disagree with the billing of this particular tour. it seems a lot of you are fairly knowledgeable folk who no doubt influence your peers in the world of music...our local industry is tough enough, without adding to it, the pressure of you guys with a voice, who could do far better in supporting artists, rather than beating down upon the ones you dislike so unkindly. it serves little purpose... or maybe i just dont get it.
i understand if we are not your cup of tea..and thats completely fine...but sometimes we feel the right to set things straight a little before misinformation gets thrown around.
so, this is not a marketing ploy, its just an idea that was born out of a mutual love of music, influence and appreciation for our own peers who want to share a stage.
i hope you can all understand this and i really do hope that sheds a little light on this dark feeling thread :)
cheers and thanks for listening.
adam s, bot.

7.00 Doors Open
7.20 – 7.50 The Chemist
8.10 – 8.55 Silversun Pickups
9.25 – 11.00 Birds of Tokyo

Dear Adam from birds of tokyo

You are a fuckwit

The end

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 28th Sep, 2010

The new BoT album is extremely boring live, which I guess means they played it well.

Braveheart81 said on the 28th Sep, 2010

SSPU must be a really shit band if their full set only lasts for 45 minutes...

Thanks Birds of Tokyo for delivering THE WORKS.

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Sep, 2010

Lies make the baby Jesus cry.

sparkles

sparkles said on the 29th Sep, 2010

2 ripper albums and a ripper ep for a 45 minute set???

sad face

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Sep, 2010

SSPU must be a really shit band if their full set only lasts for 45 minutes...

Thanks Birds of Tokyo for delivering THE WORKS.

Actually what he meant was that as part of their payment Birds of Tokyo would have to take SSPU out to Pizza Hut and get 'The Works" all you can eat deal.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Sep, 2010

It's all in the fine print.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 29th Sep, 2010

2 ripper albums and a ripper ep for a 45 minute set???

sad face

I could watch them play all three from start to finish.

shazie said on the 29th Sep, 2010

Maybe I should hold up a sign at the sydney show to request that. I've got a feeling it might work.

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Sep, 2010

Here's a shot of BoT on tour with SSPU at the moment:

Knaggz

Knaggz said on the 29th Sep, 2010

Brisbane got screwed as well

on the tickets Doors Open ; 7.00pm
in reality doors opened at 630pm
i strutted in at about 720 hoping to see the chemist
in reality, SSPU had already finished their first song

i understand it was an all ages show but WTF! get the facts right
sspu ripped up regardless of their small timeslot and hideously decreased volume

sparkles

sparkles said on the 29th Sep, 2010

moshtix just sent all those attending the freo gig (all 90 email addresses not bcc'd)

gates open 6pm
emperors 6.20pm
silversun pickups 7.10pm
birds of tokyo 8.25pm

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Sep, 2010

Haha, they've only sold ninety tickets in Freo?

sparkles

sparkles said on the 30th Sep, 2010

well apparently it's a sell out...

maybe only 90 tickets were sold by moshy

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 30th Sep, 2010

From the Birds shows so far, it looks like Silversun Pickups get to play eight songs. On Tuesday at the Corner, their only headline show, they played FIFTEEN. Now, I like Birds quite a bit, but what the hell? How is eight songs a "full headline set?" *Shakes head*

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 30th Sep, 2010

Have I mentioned Birds of Tokyo were boring as fuck?

Knaggz

Knaggz said on the 30th Sep, 2010

they were! all expectations of my first birds show were blown to smithereens by how bland they were
white witch and broken bones were the only songs that did anything really

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 1st Oct, 2010

Off Kilter was the only one that got me going. By the time they played the other hits at the end I was ready to go home. Concerts that dull should be all seating.

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

the friday night show seemed pretty good, i didn't get to see all of it though

tazzyk

tazzyk said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

is that photographer going to put the photos up from the festy hall gig?:confused: would be much appreciated..

secondclassciti

secondclassciti said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

Anyone else thing the mix at the Hordern was shite? With my earplugs in I could barely hear the guitars, then without you struggled to hear any vocals.

MuzikChik

MuzikChik said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

What's with all the Birds hate? :(

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

When they fuck over one of your favourite bands, you'll understand.

MuzikChik

MuzikChik said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

How were SSPU fucked over? Birds invited them!
I don't think it was supposed to be a co-headline tour?
Anyway, just be happy that you got to see them live :)
SSPU will definitely be back, and surely headlining their own tour :D

MorningAfterboy said on the 3rd Oct, 2010

Adam also promised them a "full set" and "the works" - which, as we now know, turned out to be bullshit.

Exactly the problem to begin with.

I didn't.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 4th Oct, 2010

How were SSPU fucked over?

A combination of having to play at a shit venue and playing such a short set.

I wouldn't say I hate BoT, but I no longer have any interest. I enjoyed the first to albums, but the boredom induced by the third far outweighs that enjoyment. That was the third and last time I will see them, unless they book another one of my favourite bands as a support.

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 4th Oct, 2010

Silversun Pickups blew me away. They didn't play for too little, or too long, it was just perfect.

Knaggz

Knaggz said on the 4th Oct, 2010

well, one could definitely say SSPU left us drooling for more

shazie said on the 4th Oct, 2010

Wished SSPU got more time to play. Hoping for their own tour finally next time they're around.

As for birds, the crowds for them seem to get less and less into the concerts each time I see them. They played fine, but the crowd just stood there for the majority (maybe because of the new album not being that 'jumpable') but even for something like broken bones I thought would've been something everyone would've gotten into at least. Last good crowd I've been in was at their show at Enmore last year in March. Still, had no problem with their actual performance.

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 5th Oct, 2010

It seemed like the crowd in Brisbane was confused as to whether they were suppose to be jumping or not. I think it was a combination of security at the barrier being so strict (according to a friend) and the new songs being so slow.

lukey26

lukey26 said on the 5th Oct, 2010

Melbourne went off, all this talk of dull sets is just so untrue.

demonofthefall

demonofthefall said on the 5th Oct, 2010

I agree, the Melbourne show was fantastic. So much singing, and people were being quite energetic to the faster songs. My only disappointment was they didn't play The Dark Side of Love, but they were bound to miss something with three albums to choose from.

gumbuoy said on the 5th Oct, 2010

how do you know - did you see all of them?

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 5th Oct, 2010

Thought this would be a good place to post with my new profile picture-thingy. Finally decided to change it after almost 2 and a half years.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Oct, 2010

A bit obscure, but is that from the video for Harmonic Generator by The Datsuns?

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 5th Oct, 2010

Well Thought Out Twinkles by SSPU. Maybe a similar image in your video? I probably know less about music videos than anyone on this website.

Well Thought Out Twinkles is easily my favourite SSPU song, and probably in my top 10 of all time.

MorningAfterboy said on the 5th Oct, 2010

Haha, well I actually run a blog on music videos, so I guess I know a bit more :P

This is the video I'm talking about

lanesra23

lanesra23 said on the 6th Oct, 2010

I'll watch later when I'm not in the office.

There are 68 more comments. View them all