The Scare break up

Following months of speculation, Sydney based rockers The Scare have announced that they are breaking up.

In the official statement made today, the band’s lead singer Kiss Reid says: “It was a fun ride, it was a wild ride, at times it was a shit ride, at times you wanted it to never end type of ride. But alas all good things must come to an end, and now it’s our turn.”

The Scare first formed in Brisbane way back in 2004. After releasing two EPs the band relocated to Birmingham in the UK, where they solidified their reputation as a volatile live act and went on to release their debut album Chivalry.

After returning to Australia and basing themselves in Sydney, The Scare bunkered down in the studio with Silverchair’s Daniel Johns to record their acclaimed sophomore album Oozevoodoo, which was described by its FasterLouder reviewer as “a unique Australian release…edgy, clever, succinct and all above all else fun.”

To farewell their fans properly The Scare is playing four shows, with support at their Sydney date by Zeahorse and Psychonanny:

Friday 9th of July – Sussex Inlet Tavern, Sussex Inlet
Saturday 10th July – Rats at Colonial Hotel, Melbourne
Friday 16th July – Night Eats Day at Grand Hotel, Wollongong
Saturday 17th July – Annandale Hotel, Sydney

Social

Comments

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Just saw this Drum Media tweet:

DrumMedia The Scare are no more. Last ever shows - Grand Hotel (Wollo) Friday 16 July, Annandale Hotel Sat 17. That's all she wrote, folks.

Say it ain't so.... :(

Napoleon Solo said on the 15th Jun, 2010

A band that had no direction and no identity. They won't be missed in my opinion.

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Your opinion is all well and good, but it's not the view of the entire world (as much as you believe it should be...but that is also your opinion, isn't it?), so people like me, who like them, will miss them!

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

I can't make it to the fkn last show, dammit!

MorningAfterboy said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Don't be so butthurt.

Will probably be at the Wollongong show, but I'm not exactly tearful over the loss.

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

I'm upset. I shared the love of that band with many friends and a couple of the songs hold some sentimental value. *sigh*

Just saw the FL article come up - http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/local/24211/The-Scare-break-up-.htm

I can't make the last show either, ffs!

mooney88

mooney88 said on the 15th Jun, 2010

will prob go to the anno show. used to love these guys but didnt even give their last album a listen. sucks but.

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

I'm thinking a road trip to Wollongong might be on the cards. Can't miss them!

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

I may just invade your space down in Wollongong instead!

MorningAfterboy said on the 15th Jun, 2010

That sounds like a threat. Not that I'm fussed either way.

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Not a threat. Just looking at my options.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Im thinking a road trip to Sussex Inn!

Fel-a-Fel

Fel-a-Fel said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Road trips all round for Scare fans!

Napoleon Solo said on the 15th Jun, 2010

Yeah that's exactly what I believe. I retract my last comment as I was unaware that all my posts had to be of a propitious nature, in case the forum peanuts get offended.

I love the Scare, oh noes :(
Feel the urge to \wrists...

Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis said on the 15th Jun, 2010

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Saw them at the Sando a few months ago and they were pretty woeful. Definitely lost the plot after some really promising early stuff IMOBFGU

(in my opinion before Felafel gets upset)

Pop_Crimes

Pop_Crimes said on the 15th Jun, 2010

well this news is pretty shit

you'd think they'd do a queensland show

Cpt_Pugwash

Cpt_Pugwash said on the 15th Jun, 2010

They wont because they tell people their from Sydney

alexjordan

alexjordan said on the 15th Jun, 2010

its the Daniel Johns Effect™

Mutton Chops

Mutton Chops said on the 16th Jun, 2010

Damn shame, Oozevoodoo was good and the set they did @ Coaster last year was great.
Still, life goes on...

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 16th Jun, 2010

although i am the last person you'd expect to stick up for a amity member the way they sacked trad (2 days before they were due to move to london with flights booked) was pretty fucked up, after he left the band went downhill in a sea of ice addiction and bridezilla dating. (new telemovie in the works)

daverh

daverh said on the 16th Jun, 2010

Now that's a forum post!

ThatDude123 said on the 16th Jun, 2010

A lobf post worth reading... Glad I lived to see the day.

Piko

Piko said on the 16th Jun, 2010

If i don't care if a band is splitting up, why would i care to go to one of their shows?

This isn't against The Scare, saw them at Homebake, they cracked me up and were a good start to the day.

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 17th Jun, 2010

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 17th Jun, 2010

does it take away your ability to use grammar?

use more COMMAS ffs

Pop_Crimes

Pop_Crimes said on the 20th Jun, 2010

from their current manager :

"ahhh the scare...

as still their manager until the 18th of july i would like to make a contribution to this forum. after going through all posts on various sites that i have seen on the scare breaking up i found it relevant to post my first ever message on mess and noise.

having known and worked with the people at emi for the best part of 6 years on various levels i have not known a more supportive label towards the scare ever. for what was a personal decision of the band that can only be explained by each member individually it didn't have nothing to do with finances, selling records, getting played on radio or any of the things that ''make'' a band successful.

because if you manage/sign/release/tour a band that get banned from venues, get banned from billy hydes for destroying gear, gets banned from appearing on channelv for 2 years, gets kicked out of a country and then expect to make money from them well everyone should think twice about their job including myself.

i have nothing but admiration for the guys and i do know that everyone who is/was involved with them is sad to see them depart as i think it will be that little bit boring and predictable without them."