Pearl Jam open air tour

Enduring Seattle troupe Pearl Jam will land in Australia this November for a series of open air shows. It has been three years since the band’s last visit, and FasterLouder is proud to be presenting their triumphant return.

Pearl Jam is readying its ninth album Backspacer for release in September, described by guitarist Mike McCready as “a tight, concise rock – œn roll record”. We’ll be among them first to hear the new songs given the live treatment.

Joining the 2009 tour party is frequent antipodean guest Ben Harper, who’ll lead his Relentless 7 in the support slot. First to hit the stage will be prodigious songman Liam Finn, who has previously supported Eddie Vedder at his solo dates. All this talent under a summer night sky is sure to amount to something special.

Pearl Jam, Liam Finn and Ben Harper & the Relentless 7 play these shows in November, proudly presented by FasterLouder. Tickets on sale 9am Monday 17 August.

Saturday 14 November – Members Equity Stadium, Perth
Tuesday 17 November – Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Friday 20 November – Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
Sunday 22 November – Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney
Wednesday 25 November – QSAC Stadium, Brisbane

Social

Comments

unlachs

unlachs said on the 1st Aug, 2009

i didn't know pearl jam were that popular

talitha

talitha said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

i'm going for Liam Finn

Piko

Piko said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

A tour for the smokers of this fine country

unlachs

unlachs said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

can't smoke in the MCG. new plan

spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

Very fucking happy with this news. Pearl Jam AND Ben Harper.

ThatDude123 said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

SFS cares not for your deadly habits.

Between this and ACDC, really am getting my bogan on.

zeldredz

zeldredz said on the 2nd Aug, 2009

Fuck yeh Pearl Jam!! ill have to arrive late so i miss ben harper...wtf

arbibie

arbibie said on the 3rd Aug, 2009

The return of the stadium band... Awesome.

toolr1

toolr1 said on the 3rd Aug, 2009

Best news i could get home to ever. Lets hope they break out some rare songs and not the same set stuff of the last tour.

mumblyjoe

mumblyjoe said on the 3rd Aug, 2009

Excellent! They put on a good show last time, would definately love to see them again.

Piko

Piko said on the 3rd Aug, 2009

Judging by the high number of single digit posters in here, I predict a sellout.... really.. thats they only reason...

Yaki

Yaki said on the 5th Aug, 2009

eff-yeah!
Guess that crosses them off the rumor list for BDO etc huh..?

benr3

benr3 said on the 6th Aug, 2009

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Aug, 2009

Hmm. $100 for Pearl Jam, Relentless7 and Liam Finn...I'd pay fifty for PJ, 30 for Relentless7 and 20 for Liam so it works out pretty well.

MorningAfterboy said on the 7th Aug, 2009

Oh yes, and you.
Die in the nearest corner.
Thanks.

squagz

squagz said on the 7th Aug, 2009

I'm fan club member and got tickets for Perth this morning on presale.. $140.. mi goreng for the rest of the year... they were once a band that fought to keep ticket prices cheap!

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 7th Aug, 2009

since you made it clear that you didn't like the links I posted I've stopped putting them up.

I now only use FL for personal networking.

Hmm...

Texas_Flood

Texas_Flood said on the 7th Aug, 2009

also a ten club member and got my tix already. hoping its a sellout in melbourne. new album should be good. really liking new single the fixer.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 11th Aug, 2009

i like that mentality. visa pre-sale starts in a few mins. im trying for the $120 pit tickets. i know pj are known for fighting expensive ticket prices. but you compare their prices to other big bands touring and its not too bad at all. and you're getting alot more entertainment. the show will start at 5, the support acts will be on for at least a couple of hours then PJ will do their madatory 2.5hr show. for all that $120 isnt too bad.

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th Aug, 2009

That's true. I hope Liam and Ben get decent sized sets, though.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 11th Aug, 2009

5mins to pre-sale start. this tour annoucement has totally torn me. im sooo happy that one of my most favourite bands are touring this year. but it just happens to fall in the middle of my uni exam period. im just hoping that i dont have an exam the next day, theres alot of pressure on me this semester at uni.

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th Aug, 2009

You're having exams already?

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 11th Aug, 2009

Source?

That seems like an awfully short set for Liam. I'd expect at least 45 minutes..

dkos

dkos said on the 11th Aug, 2009

Source?

That seems like an awfully short set for Liam. I'd expect at least 45 minutes..

30 minutes is fine for the first act of the day.

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 11th Aug, 2009

He won't get getting more than 30 I'd wager.

spintheblackcircle

spintheblackcircle said on the 11th Aug, 2009

Source?

That seems like an awfully short set for Liam. I'd expect at least 45 minutes..

Running times:

Pearl Jam Auckland
Gates Open: 4.30pm
Liam Finn: 5.30pm - 6pm
Ben Harper: 6.30pm - 7.30pm
Pearl Jam: 8pm - 10.15pm

Pearl Jam CHCH
Gates Open: 5pm
Liam Finn: 6pm - 6.30pm
Ben Harper: 7pm - 8pm
Pearl Jam: 8.30pm - 10.45pm

I cant see things being any different for the Australian shows.

MorningAfterboy said on the 11th Aug, 2009

That's pretty decent times. That gives Relentless7 time to run through the album and maybe jam on some older Cruel World stuff.
I'm definitely gonna try for tickets on Monday.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 11th Aug, 2009

woohoo got my tickets. im in the so-called Fixed Field. that area sold out in about an hour i think. cant wait for the show!! and i hope PJ play more than 2hr15min thats very short by their standards.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

im guessing you're talking about liam finn hitting the stage. cos the real showtime is in 9hrs! i wish there wasnt a bloody curfew. they didnt have one in melbourne and they got a killer setlist!

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

I've tried to steer clear of reading setlists before this one. I haven't given the new album much time, so I'm praying for Pearl Jam - Live on two legs in entirety!

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

hahah nice work mate

but reading setlists arent going to help you with pearl jam. you never know what they are going to pull out. just expect 150mins pure unadulterate rock n roll and a drunk eddie.

and i hope you enjoy the stuff from the new album. it is surprisingly awesome. at least when you compare it to recent music from other bands who are from the same era.

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

yeah I didn't mind it. It's a bit middle of the road, but thats to be expected given their status now.

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

woohoo! dunno where my tickets are located yet = ( I have the odd feeling that winning free tickets = non fixer field tickets!

Where are you located Dex?

Ohwell either way i'll be at The Olympic Hotel from 4pm!

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

I'm in Fixer.

Where is the olympic hotel?

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

Its on the corner of Moore Park rd and Regent st, across from the stadium yer.

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

Dex: $3 beers from 4pm see? *drools*

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

Sikk. I'll wander over @ 4, and skip Liam Finn

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

Aye Aye, lets hope they have good A/C!! its gonna be way too hot in the SFS when Liam is performing.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

lets hope it storms during the show. great for atmosphere!

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

Darn pub, $5 beers lol and not enough staff.

"$3 beers except on game days" they don't have that disclosure on their web page

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

was on crown st dying from the heatwave and some dude at a pub yelled out gman i kept on walking.

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

I am still exhausted from PJ last night. Good show. But fuck me, i hate stadium gigs. They suck balls.

Piko

Piko said on the 22nd Nov, 2009

was my first stadium gig not counting music festivals.... though most of the ones i've attended have used stadiums....

was alright, i guess we got lucky with some ben harper action, even if maybe just because eddie was losing his voice

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Ha, I didn't make it over sorry Piko, it was too hot, so I hung at home until just after Ben Harper Started.

Piko

Piko said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

lol fair enough too man, the drinks weren't that cheap and it was heaps packed and understaffed! You didn't miss anything man

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Oh dude that was gold wasnt it. I was eagerly awaiting indifference all night and to see b-harper do it with eddie was a highlight.

Even the throw your arms around me cover with Liam Finn was awesome.

Piko

Piko said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Yer the Ben Harper duets were incredible, poor Liam Finn though, Eddie couldn't sing Throw Your Arms Around Me, Liam had to carry him, and his voice just isn't that strong.

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Was in Backspacer which made things a little alienating, but still a good show.

Liam was fucking brilliant. When he did the guitar freakout in Lead Balloon, this guy next to me was just standing there with his mouth gaping. Kicking myself I didn't see them at the Gaelic earlier this year, hope they come back.

Ben Harper and Relentless7...man, I've always thought Ben Harper had a powerful voice but I never knew how it would go down live. The finale of Up To You Now (my fave song off the album) was hair-raising, and Eddie coming out for the Under Pressure cover was quality.

Of course, PJ nailed it. Poor Eddie with his voice, though. Guess it couldn't be helped. I don't even care that some of the obvious shit wasn't played like Alive, Jeremy and Betterman and what have you. Given to Fly and Do The Evolution, from my favourite PJ album Yield, along with Old Woman and Indifference (with fucking Ben Harper nonetheless) was enough for me - some of the best shit I've ever seen live.

It was actually quite funny when some middle-aged woman was talking to her friends and she said "I NEVER expected them to play Rockin' In The Free World!". Haven't they played that live nearly 300 times??

Good show and all, but I would have organised it all a little better. And please, never in a friggin' footy stadium again.

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Was in Backspacer which made things a little alienating, but still a good show.

Agreed dude. Oh and the triple M fans were out in force.

Ben Harper is a gun. Like Eddie said, voice of an angel and plays like the devil!

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

AND he's handsome as sin! :P

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

i wonder if kurt hadn't wacked himself if nirvana could still pack them in like pearl jam in 2009

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Mmmm sexual chocolate

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

I was actually thinking this myself whilst wathcing PJ last night. I wonder...

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

I doubt it. Kurt simply wouldn't have been able to change up the sound to keep them relevant to the masses.

BTIazza

BTIazza said on the 23rd Nov, 2009

Yeah, either way he would have shot himself.

Point noted.