Yeah Yeah Yeahs are back

The last two years has seen an army of Karen O wannabes spawned across the globe – angst ridden lead-singers with angular hair cuts, stamping their feet whilst gesticulating wildly. And just as we started chanting “Will the real Karen O please stand-up?”, she has emerged from a dairy farm in Massachusetts to reclaim the crown of kooky. That’s right kids – the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are back.

Karen O, Nick Zinner and Brian Chase are set to release their third studio album It’s Blitz! on April 10th through Modular. The album, which was produced by Dave Sitek ( TV On The Radio) and Nick Launay (Arcade Fire), features ten tracks including one called Dragon Queen – which we can only hope is a reference to the aforementioned O-clones.

Fasterlouder is pleased as spiked punch to be premiering the video for their first single Zero this Friday 20th – so stay tuned for the real Karen O.

Comments

20949
dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 17th Feb, 2009

now i may be a little behind the times.. but "their new album"... isn't this their first full-length release? *prepares for verbal assualt*

Rex Everything

Rex Everything said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Nah they have Show Your Bones

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 17th Feb, 2009

really? all their stuff i've seen on cd racks has only had about 5 tracks or so on it.

Adshoey

Adshoey said on the 17th Feb, 2009

What!

you have never heard Fever to Tell or even Show Your Bones?

GET ON IT.

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Fever To Tell is their debut album, followed by Show Your Bones.
They also have two EPs, self-titled and Is Is, and a DVD called Tell Me What Rockers To Swallow.

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 17th Feb, 2009

dayumm. i really like the individual tracks i've heard (especially Deja Vu). i've tried checked their cds in stores several times, but as i said, only ep's, which were a tad pricey so i thought i'd wait for a full length realease!

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th Feb, 2009

I highly recommend Show Your Bones.
Fever To Tell is also a fantastic album- Maps is one of my all-time favourite songs.

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 17th Feb, 2009

yer as i said if JB had them the 4 or 5 times i checked then i'd have something by now. just didnt wanna pay $17 for an EP. will have a thorough look next time.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Arcade Fire and TV on the Radio? Damn.

evileva

evileva said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Happiness times! Now if only they'd tour, I'd be a happy camper. A super happy camper.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Their newy is top of the list for most anticipated album this yr for moi!

Braveheart81 said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Splendour 2009?

I'm very excited about this release. I hope it's good!

MorningAfterboy said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Don't start those goddamn rumours already, man.

lak lak

lak lak said on the 17th Feb, 2009

Splendour 2009?

+1 for that

feelingsinister

feelingsinister said on the 17th Feb, 2009

tour tour tour! it will be nice to see the band play a full set (as opposed to the 2-song set they did in Sydney a few years ago, just before Karen O fell off the stage and was carted off to hospital).

Kozziosko

Kozziosko said on the 18th Feb, 2009

yeah man, time for a real tour, screw splendour - I want them in a small dark room.

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 18th Feb, 2009

I can't see them playing anything smaller than an enmore if you're lucky. So hardly small dark room. Plz no hordern!

MorningAfterboy said on the 18th Feb, 2009

They're not big enough for the Hordern.

They'd sell out the Enmore or the Metro, though.

tateycakes

tateycakes said on the 18th Feb, 2009

Someone said a while ago that it was on their myspace that they were doing a festival in Australia in July/Aug...

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 18th Feb, 2009

Splendour oh wowwww that'd be a roadtrip of awesomeness!

+1 for rumor mill mongering

The Fool

The Fool said on the 18th Feb, 2009

They're not big enough for the Hordern.

How exactly do you know this? Last time they came out they sold the Enmore out twice. Take other bands who came out the same time as them: Killers, Interpol, KoL etc.. They've all played the Hordern and beyond.

Think before you speak boy.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 18th Feb, 2009

Well heres to hoping they dont do the hordern. Not a fan. Enmore ftw.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 19th Feb, 2009

New track from It's Blitz! on their mypsace!

It's called Zero.
Theres also a cover of Sheena is A Punk rocker... not sure how long that's been online but its pretty great.

wolveslikeyou

wolveslikeyou said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

so uh...where's this exclusive premiere of the clip?

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

They had to "re-shoot" two more scenes - Ill have to update the story..now exclusively premiered next Monday ;-)

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

Think before you speak boy.

You honestly think the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are as successful as Kings of Leon?
Ha.

Braveheart81 said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

I'd be surprised (albeit very pleasantly) if the Yeah Yeah Yeahs played something other than The Hordern in Sydney.

They're definitely big enough for that.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

KoL don't deserve to be mentioned in this thread.

MorningAfterboy said on the 23rd Feb, 2009

They're definitely big enough for that.

It's not 2006, dude. Lot's changed.

Adshoey

Adshoey said on the 25th Feb, 2009

Premature Evaluation of It's Blitz by Drowned In Sound. Sounds like its pretty synth heavy.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 25th Feb, 2009

You honestly think the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are as successful as Kings of Leon?
Ha.

Care to make a wager?

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th Feb, 2009

Err, yeah.
Three sold out Entertainment Centres and an Acer Arena.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 25th Feb, 2009

I didn't mean they're comparable to KoL, I'm talking about the Hordern

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th Feb, 2009

And right now they don't have nearly as big a following as they did back then.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 25th Feb, 2009

How can you possibly prove that?

MorningAfterboy said on the 25th Feb, 2009

Err, it's what happens when you don't do anything for three yeas?

Braveheart81 said on the 25th Feb, 2009

I'm siding with The Fool here.

Their third album is surely one of the most anticipated releases of the year. Like other Yeah Yeah Yeahs fans I have been keenly awaiting a new album and tour since their 2006 album and tour.

Put it this way: If you were a fan in 2006, why wouldn't you be a fan now? They haven't done anything to make you like them any less.

Super Browny

Super Browny said on the 25th Feb, 2009

Yeah, just watch all the YYYs fans come out of the woodwork! I just hope my g/f doesnt catch wind of this and drag me to their gig!

The Fool

The Fool said on the 25th Feb, 2009

They were a bit average at the Enmore last time they came out. Van She opened for them here but The Mint Chicks opened for them in Auckland. We got rorted. Should have gone to Dungen instead who were playing at @Newtown

Browny, your gf sure knows about YYY. She saw them with me at the Enmore!

Super Browny

Super Browny said on the 25th Feb, 2009

I know man, Im hoping I dont get dragged to this one, cos Im not a fan! Watched them at Splendour (I think it was) a few years ago, just to see what the hype was about...didnt do much for me, I mean, I didnt hate them, and they were fun, but, wouldnt write home about them at all.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 25th Feb, 2009

You have to put them into context though, there are heaps of arty bouncy intense girl fronted acts flying around thesedays but YYY's are the original real deal.

grab their dvd off someone and have a few drinks and its dirty party time!

they can be fairly grating to first timers though, very raw band. but thats their appeal i think.

Joe Smiggens

Joe Smiggens said on the 25th Feb, 2009

there was a time when it was all about the yeah. YYY and CYHSY. probably around the time of splendour that super browny was at. i was at that one too actually. was it when CYHSY pulled out ?

ANYWAY, they are raw. and raw good. CYHSY are also raw live, but raw bad.

Super Browny

Super Browny said on the 25th Feb, 2009

grab their dvd off someone and have a few drinks and its dirty party time!

Yeah, Ive put them in context...I am talking about when they first came on the scene, I know the history etc dont worry about that, still, they arent anything special IMO. Ive seen the DVD too, still didnt do much at all for me. YYYs are the original real deal? For the 2000s maybe...I wouldnt say they are THE originals.

Anyhoo, they just dont do it for me and I hope I dont get dragged to this gig by my girlfriend is all im getting at.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 25th Feb, 2009

Well yeah Original in an bouncy-arty-raw-newyorkcity way. I can't think of any girl fronted bands that remotely sound like them previous. There was the riot grrl thing in the early 90's with bikini kill and so forth and then you had to go slightly further back to to when blondie wasnt as electro and then further back still to siouxsie sioux or patti smith / nina hagen. But then again I'm just mentioning original front women none of their bands sound like the YYY's. So original for when they formed yeah.

Super Browny

Super Browny said on the 25th Feb, 2009

I dont think they are that original at all. There are plenty of bands fronted by men that were doing the same or similar things. What difference does it make that it is fronted by a woman? How does that make it original? Would you say that the Margaret Thatcher was the original Prime Minister of England? No, there were plenty there previously. By delineating because of the frontpersons sex you are denigrating yourself, the band and the frontwoman. Sure the sound may be a little different, but thats mostly because the notes are generally sung in a higher octave.

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 26th Feb, 2009

What band fronted by a man would you say were doing the YYY's sound before them?

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 26th Feb, 2009

Browny; Are you winding me up? lolz

Denigrating myself?

Ofcourse a bands frontperson and their sex matters. It totally defines the band and their sound. And that prime minister analogy just doesnt work in this context.

Being in a band isn't a position to be filled like an office job... well atleast in great era defining original bands. Let's just slot Kurt Cobain out of Nirvana and replace him with a member of the Veronica's? Let's replace Tegan & Sara with you and I.

I'd also like to hear you point out some bands that sound like YYY's fronted by a man. (This is rhetorical because its like saying find me a blue rock that looks the same colour as this pink rock)

Super Browny

Super Browny said on the 26th Feb, 2009

To me (and this is as pretty much a casual observer...not a huge YYYs fan who knows their whole repertoire, so go nuts and correct me), I feel they are very similar to Talking Heads and bands of that ilk.

I dont think haveing a female vocalist defines the band at all. As I said it just kicks the vocals up an octave or two (unless you are, say, the singer for Blood Brother or Silversun Pickups, who have both been mistaken as females by mates of mine when I show them songs by these bands. Or at the other end of the spectrum...The Tourettes, who noone believes me, until they see them live, is fronted by a woman). It may change the lyrics and content because of a different angle...but the actual sound no. I dont see the vocalist as the defining characteristic of a bands sound. Point in case...Alice In Chains...I was very sceptical about their sound without Layne. To me, they still "sounded" Alice In Chains even without him at Soundwave. Hence the bands sound was defined by its sound not the vocalists voice. Sure, it contributes, and in some cases overtakes...but, I honestly dont think you can define a bands "sound" by the fact that they have a female/male vcalist.

But, hey, Im pretty much winding just you up because I personally dont see the YYYs as either original or important...they are just another angular, bratty bunch of NY kids who are overhyped and underwhelming IMO.

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 1st Mar, 2009

YYY are a bit like Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, L7. But that doesn't make them any less awesome.

And on the Gender thing: "Karen O to replace JD Fortune as INXS Frontperson"

...no, it doesn't make any different. Right.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 9th Nov, 2009

They're not big enough for the Hordern.

They'd sell out the Enmore or the Metro, though.

WHAT WAS THAT MAB???

JackT

JackT said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Love The Fool's recall some times.

Braveheart81 said on the 9th Nov, 2009

They're definitely big enough for that.

What's changed MorningAfterboy? Apart from the length of your neck beard of course.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Well I've become a lot more cynical

gumbuoy said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Based on album sales/chart position, because what else are you going to judge it on, theyve been getting steadily more popular:

Fever to Tell - AU Chart position: 80
Show Your Bones - 17
It's Blitz! - 8

Braveheart81 said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I think MAB assumed that if a band hasn't released an album or toured in a couple of years everyone stops liking them.

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Someone lend me a stick, I want in on the bashing.

Stefan Beck said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Hopefully MAB will burst open and be full of candy.

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th Nov, 2009

You guys do realise that my comments were made before It's Blitz! even came out?
I had no idea the record would be as successful as it was.

Also, Will, I know it's slightly pedantic, but my beard is on my face, not my neck. Cool? Cool.

As you were, gentlemen.

The Fool

The Fool said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Too late to back peddle. You're gonna get pwned like nothing else.

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I'm quivering. Really.

But yes, I didn't think the record would be as successful as it's been. Simple as that.

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I'm quivering. Really.

I don't think that makes things better, you are just admitting that you made a judgement before you even listened to the record.

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I'd say it was more of a prediction than a judgement.
And if the band does indeed sell out the Hordern then I will happily change my mind.

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

So you've gone from saying they can't play the Hordern, to they can't sell out the Hordern. Is it going to end with "they wouldn't be able to do two shows at the hordern"?

Jose Cuervo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

ThatDude123 said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Remember when we all thought the Ent Cent was a stretch for the Kings of Leon, than they played three consecutive sold out shows? Yeah, never underestimate fan following.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Still waiting for MAB to burst open with candy goodness!

And Super Browny to find that band that is the YYY's with a man which would then make them "utterly unoriginal"

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

If there's one thing that I know it's that I don't know half as much as I think I know.

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Still waiting for MAB to burst open with candy goodness!

Well we know where his "achilles heel" is. Hidden behind the scruff of his infamous neck beard.

clashpalace

clashpalace said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I wish I had an infamous neck beard. Jesus invented those didn't he?

I heard it was right before the OH&S people dragged him away for wearing sandals in the woodwork shop.

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th Nov, 2009

I wish I had a neck beard.

The only infamy is that Conor posted an Advice Dog-styled photo and said "I was there when David Young grew a neck beard". This lot then took the ball and ran with it.

Napoleon Solo said on the 9th Nov, 2009

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.