About the Author

V Festival 2008 artist lineupannounced

The rumour mill was running in overdrive yesterday with talk of The Smashing Pumpkins, Duran Duran and QOTSA hot tipped as acts for this year’s V Festival. (see our story HERE ) Well we’re pleased to say – everything you’ve heard is true…

The lineup for Australia’s second dose of V fest goodness is:
The Smashing Pumpkins
Duran Duran
Queens of the Stone Age
Jesus And Mary Chain
Mika (east coast only)
Air (east coast only)
CSS
The Presets
The Tough Alliance
Plug in City

This year’s V Festival will take place in four locations as opposed to last year’s two city junket. Tix for the festival go on sale on Thursday December 6.

V Festival 2008:

Saturday March 29 – Centennial Park, Sydney
Sunday March 30 – Avica Resort, Gold Coast
Saturday April 5 – Showgrounds, Melbourne
Sunday April 6 – Perth Esplanade

With:The Smashing Pumpkins, Duran Duran, Queens of the Stone Age, Jesus And Mary Chain, Mika, Air, CSS, The Presets, The Tough Alliance, Plug in City

If you missed last year’s inaugural festival – and wanna know what’s in store – check out the reviews and photos HERE

Comments

11926
disasterplan

disasterplan said on the 28th Nov, 2007

Air for east coast only? I guess that cancels out the fact we don't have to put up with Mika in Perth. But seriously, fucking AIR NOT DOING PERTH. Poor form, Branson.

MorningAfterboy said on the 28th Nov, 2007

That's a bummer, man!
I remember you said Moon Safari was one of your all-time favourite albums.

Air would be awesome- The Virgin Suicides soundtrack blows my mind every time.

Also, I'm calling for all three threads to be thrown together for some kind of robo-mega-thread?

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 28th Nov, 2007

yeah 3 threads is bullshit. can we just keep it in this one now or something.

man how much are tickets??

disasterplan

disasterplan said on the 28th Nov, 2007

I was expecting a bit more from Air when I saw them live... I guess I expected from their live act the same kind of amazement I still get when I listen to Moon Safari.

Still, fucking cunts. No Perth Fuck fuck fuck shit cunt motherfuckers gash gash gash.

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 28th Nov, 2007

yeah 3 threads is bullshit. can we just keep it in this one now or something.

man how much are tickets??

$135

cecbuzz

cecbuzz said on the 28th Nov, 2007

As far a i know Branson has zip to do with V Fest in Australia...

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Jesus and Mary chain...I think once I have seen them I can die.

The fact that I have been able to see The Stooges, The Pixies and JMC in the last three years is ridiculous.

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I'm the same with the addition of The Cure. It is ridiculous!

Stefan Beck said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Fuck BDO.

I'm all over this like a nun.

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Fuck BDO.

I'm all over this like a nun.

I couldn't agree more!

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Ditto. And yes, can we get this all smooshed into one thread i'm going nuts

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Yeah I agree, sorry for putting-up 2 threads when I only needed 1.

MERGE!!!

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Here have some pre-sale details:

code is: VFEST08

Tickets are $136

Johnny Deptran

Johnny Deptran said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Hooray no Mika for Perth!
Organisers must have known he would not be tolerated over here.

antzpantz

antzpantz said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Yeah, I'm disappointed too!

disasterplan

disasterplan said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Yeah I know... but that big cheesy grin is just too hard not to take cheap shots at!

saimagizzle

saimagizzle said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I wish I didn't spend money on BDO now, but oh well.

Next year is shaping up to be radtacular.

brownie-ll

brownie-ll said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Air and QOTSA are enough to convince me. Thank you VFest promoters.

kyza

kyza said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I wish I didn't spend money on BDO now, but oh well.

Next year is shaping up to be radtacular.

im sure you could sell your BDO ticket for the cost of the V fest ticket AND merch/drinks lol

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Pumpkins! Queens! Jesus Mary Chain!

Holy fucking fuck, I gotta sit down...

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 29th Nov, 2007

that is an unbelievablely good idea except for the fact that i have recently gotten very keen on both Bjork and Battles. DAMN THESE B'S!

saimagizzle

saimagizzle said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Oh, I would, but...

1. Going to Gold Coast with friends and paid accomodation/flights, and have to pick up a ticket up there.

2. Rage Against the Machine.

But otherwise yeah, would definately.

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I don't have any fucking money and have a gazillion things to pay for this month. WHY. I NEED TO GO SO BADLY.

shanti_lttl

shanti_lttl said on the 29th Nov, 2007

see i told matt last night pumpkins would play.
air! i just noticed that. i don't think i can breathe anymore.

saimagizzle

saimagizzle said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Time to eBay your possessions...

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 29th Nov, 2007

If I owned anything of value that might be a good idea.

Alas, the one thing I own that is worth any money, I would not sell. ever. period. (my double bass)

nothing166

nothing166 said on the 29th Nov, 2007

this reminds of the scene in the simpsons where homer is running circles on the ground screaming "WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT"

renis

renis said on the 29th Nov, 2007

there is 18 limit. i just spat my drink out. i think i am going into shock

sparks

sparks said on the 29th Nov, 2007

JUST GOT TICKETS! THANK U MUCHLY ALEX! i owe u one u legend.

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Just buy me a drink at the christmas party, I'm assuming there'll be one this year? Or if you're underage you can just buy me the "In Rainbows" discbox, how does that sound? Ha ha!

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 29th Nov, 2007

If I owned anything of value that might be a good idea.

Wow. And I had just voted you 'person least likely to play double bass' on an internet poll.
More info please Wheatley. Where is said bass, how long you played etc..

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 29th Nov, 2007

More info please Wheatley. Where is said bass, how long you played etc..

MARK are you serious??!?! You've been to my house and everything *sigh*

Played for about....5 years maybe?

sparks

sparks said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I'm 18. wouldn't be allowed to go to V fest if i wasn't. at v fest i'll send an sms to that massive screen which says "Alexphotosite is a God in the sack, this is his picture, 11 inches ladies, 11 inches".

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 29th Nov, 2007

MARK are you serious??!?! You've been to my house and everything *sigh*

Played for about....5 years maybe?

I know, but I didn't know that all that time I was at your house there was a double bass somewhere i coulda been slappin around!

We are starting a cowpunk band.

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 29th Nov, 2007

No way i deliberately keep that shit locked up when I'm having parties because when people are drunk, everyone thinks they're a muso and there's no way i'm letting a bunch of drunk idiots slap around on such an expensive piece of equipment.

You can come over one day but and we'll have a jam.

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Awesome! I'm excited! Are you able to amp that shit up? Now I need to get my tax return so I can finally buy my amp rig.

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 29th Nov, 2007

Ha ha! Oh yeah, I forgot it was 18+, My girlfriend would be in stitches if she saw that but then again she'd also be in complete agreement! ;)

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 29th Nov, 2007

i saw the smashing pumpkins maybe 9 or 10 years ago when they did the tour for that horrible 'machina machines of god' album. or maybe it was 'adore'. anyway, they were fucking shit and self indulgent and i hated them for it because i wanted to see them mellon collie/siamese dream mode soooooooo bad but was too young to have ever gone to those shows. i think their new album is such an exciting return to form, so i am stoked they'll be playing!!

i wonder how much old material they play in the set? has anyone read setlists from o/s shows? i hope they play Soma.... ahhhhhhh

MorningAfterboy said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I wonder if there will be sideshows.
All Ages sideshows, preferably.

Pixies did the Big Top this year...was that AA?
Also, would SP play the same place?

angy

angy said on the 29th Nov, 2007

I don't think the Smashing Pumpkins ever put out anything to match Siamese Dream... But they've still got pulling power for me! And Queens of the Stone Age... Damn!

I don't know how it could have possible matched last year's success... I just remember walking into those lush green fields of centennial park at around midday, and seeing the awesome setup they had. Crystal clear sound! WAY better than any of the substandard sound quality we've been hearing at the BDO.

Let's see if they can match it this year! :)

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 30th Nov, 2007

I wonder if there will be sideshows.
All Ages sideshows, preferably.

Pixies did the Big Top this year...was that AA?
Also, would SP play the same place?

Pixies was 18+ but I think SP would play the Horden.

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 30th Nov, 2007

my pickup is FUCKED and i can't afford a new one right now so i'm afraid its back to a bit of the old 'stick the mic on the bass' trick. PLEH.

MorningAfterboy said on the 30th Nov, 2007

I'm really hoping for some AA sideshows- if I can get myself employed between now and then I could get me along to see the fucken Pumpkins, man!

JackT

JackT said on the 30th Nov, 2007

Duran Duran needed to be Depeche Mode! Now, THAT would've been good. :)

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 30th Nov, 2007

Machina is awesome, if you saw them here then that was the Adore tour in 1998. they've been playing some random oldies, i've got a few setlists saved at home, i'll bump the reunion thread with them when i get home tonight.
Zeitgeist shits me.

cecbuzz

cecbuzz said on the 30th Nov, 2007

wouldn't have picked you for a smashing pumpkins fan... the things you learn...

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 30th Nov, 2007

They have been playing some randoms, but at the same time, 80% of their set is the last 2 (and crappiest) albums.

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 30th Nov, 2007

Zeitgeist shits me.

must have been the adore tour then - it was at the ent cent. i remember they did this awful 10 minute long tribal drum version of 'bullet with butterfly wings'. i saved all my money from working my shitty job at pizza hut to buy a ticket for the show, blah blah blah. same old story of being stuck in that frame of mind where you expect a band to play the same set they would have done 5 years before haha.

would love to see some setlists though!

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 30th Nov, 2007

oh cec, you wouldnt believe how upset i was when my mum said i was too young (14, pffft) to catch the train by myself from wollongong to sydney to see the smashing pumpkins at hordern on the mellon collie tour... i have been emo way longer than the emo tag ever existed.

saturdaysinbed

saturdaysinbed said on the 30th Nov, 2007

Fuck BDO.

I'm all over this like a nun.I'm all over it like a flannel.

Siamesedreamer

Siamesedreamer said on the 30th Nov, 2007

You can check out all the setlists here

hope they pull out geek usa or a heavy version of disarm

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 1st Dec, 2007

haha i had a similar experience with my first concert, No Doubt were finally coming back and when my mum wouldn't let me (i was 14/15) i cried in my room all night. that changed her mind :D

Alycie Poos

Alycie Poos said on the 4th Dec, 2007

Finally QOTSA return! So happy :)

Alycie Poos

Alycie Poos said on the 4th Dec, 2007

Finally QOTSA return! So happy :)

MorningAfterboy said on the 4th Dec, 2007

Dude, I have a bootleg of that and it kicks arse.
I love it when bands do things differently, and the Adore tour definitely isolated a lot of fans but it was worth it, I reckon.
The version of Ava Adore from that tour is fucking great.

Kaileah

Kaileah said on the 5th Dec, 2007

got my tix yay!

What an awesome 15 months so far.... Muse twice, Sigur Ros twice, bloc party... Gotye twice in a week...

Then... Mammal three times, ratm twice in a week, BJORK, arcade fire, battles, karnivool...

... Now qotsa, air and Duran Duran lol...

Just waiting for a Radiohead tour...

Have spent so much on gigs its not even funny anymore :)

Siamesedreamer

Siamesedreamer said on the 5th Dec, 2007

Next year is shaping up to be a good year for music...I finally get to tick 3 of my must see bands off my must see list (maiden, pumpkins, sonic). Now I just need Metallica and I can die a partially happy man :)

Kaileah

Kaileah said on the 6th Dec, 2007

Metallica hell yes...

...esp now that I have just discovered the fact that I'm off to see Rage, all I'm missing is Radiohead!

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 6th Dec, 2007

i know how you feel, after the Pumpkins i only have one more 'must see before i die' on my list.

dream_brother

dream_brother said on the 6th Dec, 2007

is it a No Doubt tribute band?

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Dec, 2007

Got 2 tickets today. Can't wait to see CSS and strangely looking forward to Duran Duran, oh yeah and that Billy Corgan band, they play that rat in a cage song right?......

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 6th Dec, 2007

nope, already saw one earlier this year, they were surprisingly not too bad.
it's Alanis, i know i'm probably the only person here who likes her but i don't care, she's awesome.

Napoleon Solo said on the 6th Dec, 2007

nope, already saw one earlier this year, they were surprisingly not too bad.

I bet you would love a time machine. You could go back in time to when all of these artists were relevant.

MorningAfterboy said on the 6th Dec, 2007

We'd all love a time machine of sorts!

disasterplan

disasterplan said on the 6th Dec, 2007

Wanna join me in Denmark?

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 7th Dec, 2007

You're not the only one, I enjoy a bit of that angry lesbians gear as well. Jagged little pill is certainly high on my best albums ever list.

Kaileah

Kaileah said on the 7th Dec, 2007

When are they playing there?!

timmy1116

timmy1116 said on the 10th Dec, 2007

anyone heard any rumours for the 2nd anncomnet?

Joyous Contempt

Joyous Contempt said on the 13th Dec, 2007

The Dandy Warhols would be an awesome fit into the vibe of this shit. I've never seen them live except for a few absolutely terrible performances on the tv but i dont care, I love them so.

All the other things I would like I can think of right now will never happen so that's the rumour I'm starting, I hope it comes true.

but yeah I secon the request for legitimate-ish rumours

saimagizzle

saimagizzle said on the 13th Dec, 2007

Mika has pulled out.

FUCK YES!

Napoleon Solo said on the 13th Dec, 2007

I believe you are right, his name is missing from the website.
Good news, hoping they replace him with someone, anyone.

emmawheatley

emmawheatley said on the 14th Dec, 2007

Mika has pulled out.

FUCK YES!

OH MY GOD BEST NEWS EVER!

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 14th Dec, 2007

i like them but they're boring as fuck live. i don't like Mika but i thought he would have been kind of fun to see... oh well.

Adshoey

Adshoey said on the 14th Dec, 2007

Mika has pulled out.

FUCK YES!

That is awesome!

I might go now.

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 15th Dec, 2007

has anyone who bought their tix in the pre-sale received them yet? none of mine have come

saimagizzle

saimagizzle said on the 15th Dec, 2007

No, I haven't gotten mine either. Last year they sent them out 2 weeks prior or something?

Alexphotosite

Alexphotosite said on the 15th Dec, 2007

I got mine coz I chose to print them at home!

de-tec-tive

de-tec-tive said on the 16th Dec, 2007

oh shit really?? guess i'm going to Sydney then...

Siamesedreamer

Siamesedreamer said on the 25th Dec, 2007

So has anyone got their tickets yet?

"You will receive your tickets via: Registered Post-Ticketmaster will mail these within 2 business days of the booking."

Yeah, fuckin bullshit.