International news round-up:"I’m not doing a show"
Sun 23rd Dec, 2012 in International News
Madonna threatens smokers, PSY hits a billion and Dizzee Rascal soundtracks New Year’s – all this, and more, in our weekend round-up of international news.
– Madonna threatened to cancel a concert in Chile this week after spotting people in the crowd smoking during her soundcheck. She berated the smokers from the stage, saying, “If you’re gonna smoke cigarettes I’m not doing a show. You don’t care about me, I don’t care about you. All right, are we gonna play that game?” Her concert did eventually go ahead, although the start was delayed by three hours. Also, it rained.
– PSY’s viral hit ‘Gangnam Style’ has set a new record, crossing the line to over one billion views on Friday. The video someone is most likely to proudly inform you they haven’t seen yet this year has racked up 1,021,366,087 views at the time of writing. It’s also scored 461,349 dislikes.
– Nothing soundtracks a bleary New Year’s Day hangover like bouncy grime-pop, right? That’s what Dizzee Rascal is banking on. The London MC, whose last album Tongue N’ Cheek came out in 2009, will be releasing his new EP digitally on January 1. It’s the first taster for an album he’ll be releasing later in the year.
– The full tracklist for the forthcoming album from Diplo’s dancehall side project Major Lazer, Free the Universe, has been revealed. The long list of guests it features includes Santigold, Amber Coffman from Dirty Projectors, Peaches, Ezra Koenig from Vampire Weekend, Wyclef Jean, Bruno Mars, Vybz Kartel and more. The album is due in February on Mad Decent.
– The Flaming Lips are releasing the video documenting their ‘Freak Night’ concert, held at the Oklahoma City Zoo Amphitheatre on October 26, for sale. The Freak Night video was streamed for free on December 21 in honour of the Mayan apocalypse, and featured all the costumes, lasers, nudity and people inside transparent plastic balls you expect from The Flaming Lips. The commercial version will be on sale “very soon” according to the band.