Image for The 25 most hipster bands in existence, according to science

The 25 most hipster bands inexistence, according toscience

Want to know what your mustachioed, sailor tattooed barista is listening to on limited-edition cassette?

Obviously you can’t just ask him for fear of being crushed by a look of disdain so withering it would make Morrissey weep. But don’t worry: The team of “bike-riding, IPA-sipping, vinyl-listening hipsters” at Priceonomics have crunched the numbers to solve the mystery.

Of course, the first step to identifying a hipster band is Pitchfork approval. But as a true hipster will only listen to bands that no one else knows about, the Priceonomics team developed a metric to measure the obscurity of the acts. So measuring Pitchfork review scores (critical acclaim) against Facebook shares of those reviews (popularity) they’ve plotted out a graph that neatly categorises the “hipsterness” of acts including Kanye West, Burial, Deafhaven and Justin Timberlake. Basically, the further below the line the more hipster the band – or in other words it’s high quality but obscure.

(Source: Priceonomics Data Services)

Using the ground-breaking methodology, Priceonomics has been able to release a definitive list of the top 25 most hipster bands. The list features three acts from the recent Laneway festival lineup – Youth Lagoon, Autre Ne Veut, Danny Brown, and Savages – plus These New Puritans, Phosphorescent and Blood Orange. The same statistics also reveal which acts fail to pass the test as true hipster favourites due to their popularity.

The acts that are critically acclaimed yet far too popular to qualify for true hipster love (aka the “hipster-for-beginners” acts) include The National, Boards of Canada, My Bloody Valentine and Laneway 2014 alumni Chvrches, Run the Jewels, Haim, Earl Sweatshirt and Kurt Vile.

The key lesson: Going to Laneway might make you a hipster, but only if you’re hanging around the smaller stages.

(Source: Priceonomics Data Services)

(Source: Priceonomics Data Services)

Comments

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 6th Mar, 2014

So weird that Savages is considered obscure. I listen to Julia Holter an awful lot. /latfh

YouCantQuitMe

YouCantQuitMe said on the 6th Mar, 2014

it'd be interesting to see the differences in the hipster index between australia and us/other countries cause it seems weird to me that disclosure is classed as obscure but mikal cronin isn't. on the other hand it is based only on pitchfork and facebook likes....

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 6th Mar, 2014

Aren't Disclosure a pretty huge deal in the UK?

anniethel

anniethel said on the 7th Mar, 2014

lol. the main fault of the graph is it discounts the current hipness of vouching for the production merits/ being hip enough to not care about the unhipness of *huge* pop acts like kanye, beyonce, drake etc

garethsoden

garethsoden said on the 7th Mar, 2014

pretty sure that calling someone a hipster means you are probably a hipster yourself. the terminology has jumped the shark, much like the word bogan. when you get people who conform to the original stereotype demonstrating a complete lack of self awareness by taking the piss out of others who also conform to that stereotype the term loses it's effectiveness as a piss taking mechanism. bogan has long gone and recent posts on this very site indicate hipster has also crossed over. part of the paradoxical phenomenon which dictates that people who might tell you to harden up are the most sensitive petals themselves.
now that's science!

radical_man

radical_man said on the 7th Mar, 2014

excuse me a "what" number is a Frank Sinatar

MidniteRambler

MidniteRambler said on the 7th Mar, 2014

Hipster. The most overused word of the last 2 years.

Alskiz

Alskiz said on the 7th Mar, 2014

I know I'm always able to bond with my male peers over Angel Olsen, MBV and Mikal Cronin, also the kids at school called me homo when they discovered I liked Danny Brown, ASAP Rocky and Disclosure.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 7th Mar, 2014

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).

You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.

The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.

Demosthenes

Demosthenes said on the 7th Mar, 2014

If that was the case, hipsters surely ought to be ironically (wtf?) listening to nothing but Coldplay, Metallica and U2.

gumbuoy said on the 7th Mar, 2014

Yeah I thought that sounded a little bit too well put together to be you. Also, it didn't contain a single whinge about privilege, so figured you didn't write it.

Napoleon Solo said on the 8th Mar, 2014

Nosyt is a classic beta hipster.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 8th Mar, 2014

Omega, get it right.

radical_man

radical_man said on the 14th Mar, 2014

Who they say the "HIPSTER" - I feeel accused like a nano-particle frokm

Dwayne Barry

Dwayne Barry said on the 17th Mar, 2014

Haxan fucking Cloak is Hipster music? I know a few hipsters and that is far too unsettling for them.